Author Topic: $$$SGU "Cloverdale" Review and Discussion Thread (spoilers)$$$  (Read 2089 times)

Offline Jimi James

• So Say We All
  • Administrator
  • Distinguished Member
  • Abandon Ship
    • View Profile
    • The New Haven Chronicles
Again with the hallucinations?  Not that I'm complaining because I think it can serve a purpose, but I have to wonder what's going on, when they continue to revisit the theme of the crew having such memorable hallucinations.

This was one was interesting, but definitely more filler then previous episodes.  The one interesting part is the revelation to everyone that Chloe is still afflicted by whatever the aliens have done to her and that no Scott may be infected as well.

I did like the final sequence with Greer, Scott, and Chloe as it flashed back between the wedding and the gate being redialed.  The opening event horizon catching one of the aliens as it was about to attack was a nice touch as well.
https://www.patreon.com/JonMichaelMay
Help me make art, by joining me on Patreon. Various subscriptions tiers are in place, allowing you to support my addictive art habit for as little as $1 a month.

Offline TNC

• Board Legend
  • Stuck in the middle of nowhere...
    • View Profile
Re: $$$SGU "Cloverdale" Review and Discussion Thread (spoilers)$$$
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2010, 05:33:07 PM »
Again with the hallucinations?  Not that I'm complaining because I think it can serve a purpose, but I have to wonder what's going on, when they continue to revisit the theme of the crew having such memorable hallucinations.

The writers are running out of ideas?  :P

Anyway... I liked the episode.  The part at the end with the jumping between the wedding and the gate being dialed over and over was nice.  Interesting bit of trivia, the episode was filmed in an actual town named Cloverdale.
“Battle is not a simulation. It’s blood and screams and funerals.” – Capt. Georgiou – Star Trek: Discovery – “The Vulcan Hello”

Offline Razor

• Board Legend
  • All things not of this world
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2010, 10:24:56 PM »
I was initially with Jimi about the whole hallucination plot device but I think this episode wasn't bad. 

I get the distinct feeling that next episode Eli will move towards Ginn as the look on his face when Chloe tried to sacrafice herself was quite powerful.  It would also seem as though Scott isn't too sure about how he feels about Chloe...hmm.
“The boat dipped and swayed and sometimes took on water, but it did not sink; the two brothers had waterproofed it well. I do not know where it finally fetched up, if it ever did; perhaps it reached the sea and sails there forever, like a magic boat in a fairytale. All I know is that it was still afloat and still running on the breast of the flood when it passed the incorporated town limits of Derry, Maine, and there it passes out of this tale forever.” ― Stephen King, It"
High priest in the Cult of J

Offline Broken Subspace Scene

• Prolific Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2010, 09:05:25 PM »
I liked it, although not as much as some of the other episodes.  However, I did really like a lot of the characterizations, especially those that carried over into the hallucination - Rush's antagonism towards Young ("I am not a great man"), etc.  Eli's was really layered - his spitefulness towards Scott in the hallucination (allegorical to Scott's man-slut status in the real world, and Eli's "you won't treat her right like I would" perspective), and how he both said a final farewell to Chloe in the real world and gave her away in the wedding, and the fact that he was videotaping the wedding is obviously similar to his kino fetish and, metaphorically, how he kind of has to watch all the Chloe-Scott things happen without doing anything about them.

I think it was a smart move to impart an action spin to the usual quarantine/invasive lifeform situation.  The episode would have been a lot more boring without that sense of urgency and putting other team members in danger.

Offline Fiery Little One

• Distinguished Member
  • Live Long and Prosper
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2010, 04:56:30 PM »
It was nice, not exactly the first time they've ever done a story like it but this spin on it wasn't bad.
Open your mind to new possibilities
-Trip(sort of), The Crossing