Author Topic: The Walking Dead ***Spoilers***  (Read 20778 times)

Offline Jimi James

• So Say We All
  • Administrator
  • Distinguished Member
  • Abandon Ship
    • View Profile
    • The New Haven Chronicles
The Walking Dead ***Spoilers***
« on: October 31, 2010, 11:43:29 PM »
Awesome.  I was surprised by the level of gore they actually showed.

I sort of wish they had done something else in the beginning, rather then the waking up in the hospital after the zombie outbreak.  However since they seem to be sticking close to the source I don't suppose they want to veer to far away and as familiar as that type of reveal is, it's still damn creepy.

My only other concern is that they don't drag out the plot involving the deputies wife and son being alive and 'friendly' with the other deputy....and the whole 'when is he gonna find them' sort of love triangle thing they're setting up.

Aside from that, I loved the rest of it.  It's going to be interesting to see if they can maintain the level of tension week after week, with all the zombie killing that will be going on.  
https://www.patreon.com/JonMichaelMay
Help me make art, by joining me on Patreon. Various subscriptions tiers are in place, allowing you to support my addictive art habit for as little as $1 a month.

Offline Razor

• Board Legend
  • All things not of this world
    • View Profile
Re: The Walking Dead ***Spoilers***
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2010, 08:04:09 AM »
Simply awesome!  The music during during the scene where Duane is sniping the zombies and Rick goes looking for the crawler was beautiful.
“The boat dipped and swayed and sometimes took on water, but it did not sink; the two brothers had waterproofed it well. I do not know where it finally fetched up, if it ever did; perhaps it reached the sea and sails there forever, like a magic boat in a fairytale. All I know is that it was still afloat and still running on the breast of the flood when it passed the incorporated town limits of Derry, Maine, and there it passes out of this tale forever.” ― Stephen King, It"
High priest in the Cult of J

Offline Flagg

• Board Legend
  • Gotham's Reckoning
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2010, 10:27:17 AM »
I'm glad they added some depth to Duane from the beginning, which wasn't there for the comic. At least not until much later in the series.

Offline Broken Subspace Scene

• Prolific Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2010, 02:25:25 PM »
Simply awesome!  The music during during the scene where Duane is sniping the zombies and Rick goes looking for the crawler was beautiful.

I believe BSG's Bear McCreary is doing the score, or at least some of it.

I'm not a huge zombie fan, but I really enjoyed this.  The production levels were excellent and it was very atmospheric.  The hospital scene is a bit generic (or at least was extremely similar to 28 Days Later), but it was short and well done so it didn't bother me.  I really appreciated the elevator fakeout, and his questioning, without acting hammy, of whether the events were actually real.  Them not actually saying "the zed word" was nice too.

I'd agree with Jimi, I'm concerned about the love triangle.  Generally, other than Rick and Morgan (holy frak, why is Lennie James not in more/larger roles?  He is always so awesome), the brief snippets of other characters seemed a little meh.  AMC's heavyweight shows (Mad Men, Breaking Bad) have excellent supporting casts and characters (particularly Mad Men, which is absolutely superb on both counts), and I'm dubious as to whether that will be the case here.

I felt the gore, while not being exploitative, did linger a bit too long unnecessarily in a few instances.  For me, I'm not a big fan of the genre, so I'm here for a good show, and while some gore is obviously expected in zombie fare, it's not necessarily what I'm looking forward to seeing.  It will be interesting to see how the tone plays out, and whether it'll be geared towards zombie genre fans or be a bit closer to Breaking Bad, where you have some gross-out moments, but they're few and far between in order to generate maximum impact.

Positive sign for the show's future: Apparently, ratings were 5+ million, over double what the most recent Mad Men season finale scored.  Pretty encouraging, one would think.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2010, 02:27:03 PM by Broken Subspace Scene »

Offline Razor

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2010, 08:36:16 PM »
The production levels were excellent and it was very atmospheric.  The hospital scene is a bit generic (or at least was extremely similar to 28 Days Later)

That scene is from the comic and it predates 28 Days Later if Im not mistaken.

I'm glad they added some depth to Duane from the beginning, which wasn't there for the comic. At least not until much later in the series.

I was thinking that myself. 
“The boat dipped and swayed and sometimes took on water, but it did not sink; the two brothers had waterproofed it well. I do not know where it finally fetched up, if it ever did; perhaps it reached the sea and sails there forever, like a magic boat in a fairytale. All I know is that it was still afloat and still running on the breast of the flood when it passed the incorporated town limits of Derry, Maine, and there it passes out of this tale forever.” ― Stephen King, It"

Offline Flagg

• Board Legend
  • Gotham's Reckoning
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2010, 09:07:22 PM »
Actually it was just after 28 days later but Kirkman hadn't seen it.

Offline Razor

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2010, 09:42:38 PM »
^^^Thank you for the clarification.

Offline Torlek

• Veteran Member
  • Burn it all down and start over.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2010, 11:25:54 PM »
Best pilot I've seen for anything I've seen in a long time. Only thing I didn't like was the other cop (Shane?) and Lori getting friendly, but I imagine this will be the setup for some conflict and Rick will either kill Shane or Shane will be turned (I'm going in cold, don't know anything about the comic). I was kinda surprised by the gore when the zombies ate the horse, but this is the zombie apocalypse so I'm glad they're showing some blood and guts. Judging by the half eaten crawling zombie these are more in the vein of "magic" zombies which I'm not the biggest fan of (although the makeup on the crawler was crazy good) but that does answer how they'll be able to squeeze more than a season out of the concept.

What I'm curious about is how they're going to portray the survivors adapting and eventually encountering other survivor groups (some of which will inevitably be unhinged to some degree). I mean, zombie killing's good and all but we've never really seen a prolonged look at the living in a zombie outbreak. I just hope they're able to keep the level of tension and sense of dread I felt during parts of the episode. The scene where Rick woke up in the hospital, though reminiscent of 28 Days, was seriously spooky. It almost got me to fear zombies again.

I'm excited. This could be beyond awesome.
The battle of modern programming is one waged between the engineers trying to craft a bigger,better idiot-proof program and the universe trying to breed bigger, better idiots.  So far, the universe is winning.

Offline Jimi James

• So Say We All
  • Administrator
  • Distinguished Member
  • Abandon Ship
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2010, 11:56:04 PM »
Yeah, I hope they delve into long term issues of survival after this sort of society ending event and it's not all just zombie headshots.
Help me make art, by joining me on Patreon. Various subscriptions tiers are in place, allowing you to support my addictive art habit for as little as $1 a month.

Offline Flagg

• Board Legend
  • Gotham's Reckoning
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2010, 12:51:54 AM »
If they go by the comic we should see them going into hardship survival mode in season 2. In the comics they do meet up with other survivors and things don't go well, to say the least.

Offline The Daft Punk

• An Erotic Adventurer Of The Most Deranged Kind
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2010, 05:34:07 AM »
I didn't mind the hospital scene. Even if 28 Days Later did it first, it's still a good way to introduce a character to the Zombiepocalypse without having them seem like a retard. It's an easy way to explain to them, and by extension the audience, "Hey! this is the way things are now!"

Also: awesome score. The music during the penultimate bit, with Rick searching for the Bike zombie and Morgan trying to kill what remains of his wife was fucking incredible.

Side note: Helicopter?
Harder.Better.Faster.Stronger
~~~~~~~~
"Until a man is 25, he still thinks, every so often, that under the right circumstances he could be the baddest motherfucker in the world. If I moved to a martial arts monastery in China and studied real hard for 10 years. If my family was wiped out by Colombian drug dealers and I swore myself to revenge. If I got a fatal disease, had one year to live, devoted it to wiping out street crime. If I just dropped out and devoted my life to being bad."
- "Snow Crash", Neal Stephenson

Offline TNC

• Board Legend
  • Stuck in the middle of nowhere...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2010, 11:16:24 AM »
Just watched the pilot and the second episode.  Pretty good so far.  The scene where they chopped up the zombie I mean walker I mean "geek" (really? geek?) and covered themselves in its guts (to fool the zombie mob) was really freaking gory.  I hope to see more of the guy from "Jericho" soon, just cause he was such a badass on that show.  It's kinda funny how none of the profanity is bleeped yet the closed captioning is censored (the first letter of the word is shown but the rest is replaced with funny looking letters).

The only bad thing is that I have this sudden urge to play Resident Evil 2 and/or 3...
“Battle is not a simulation. It’s blood and screams and funerals.” – Capt. Georgiou – Star Trek: Discovery – “The Vulcan Hello”

Offline caisson2delta

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2010, 02:14:53 PM »
I've really enjoyed both episodes so far, and I'm no fan of the whole zombie genre. This show does have some potential and hope it gets picked up for next season. I've been pretty impressed with the production value, and for that matter the overall feel of the show. AMC has been pretty impressive with it's original series, it would be nice if they delved into the world of space opera.

Offline Juvat

• Prolific Member
  • USAF Weapons Instructor
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2010, 02:47:32 PM »
Anyone see the third episode yet?  I'm wondering when we'll see Merle again since the last thing they showed was his hand.  I'm still curious as to why they're camped out so close to Atlanta.
"In God We Trust"

• Prolific Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2010, 03:13:22 PM »
Yes, I thought it was better than "Guts".  I thought Merle worked better this time.  I imagine this is probably as close as we'll come to a "no zombies" episode.

It doesn't seem that crazy that they're close to Atlanta.  This way they've got a nearby cache of supplies, and they'd probably be close to a lot of major roadways.  They can also easily redirect fellow survivors on their way to the city.

Offline TNC

• Board Legend
  • Stuck in the middle of nowhere...
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2010, 10:09:17 PM »
Anyone seen last night's episode?  Damn, I would've thought they would have waited for the season finale to pull that...
« Last Edit: November 22, 2010, 10:22:53 PM by TNC »
“Battle is not a simulation. It’s blood and screams and funerals.” – Capt. Georgiou – Star Trek: Discovery – “The Vulcan Hello”

Offline Jimi James

• So Say We All
  • Administrator
  • Distinguished Member
  • Abandon Ship
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2010, 02:09:45 PM »
Apparently, the last episode breaks away from the source material, which really was bound to happen sooner or later.  Not having read the comic, I'm not sure I care, 'Wildfire' was still great.
Here's a breakdown of the episode, and how it differs from the source. http://io9.com/5701846/the-walking-dead-deviates-from-the-comic-bookbig-time

They used a track from the film Sunshine, 'The Surface of the Sun,' by John Murphy during this episode.  I knew it was something I had heard before, but couldn't readily place it.

Offline Flagg

• Board Legend
  • Gotham's Reckoning
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2010, 03:15:06 PM »
They have deviated pretty heavily from the source material since the second episode. Frankly, I'm kind of glad since I've read the entire series more than once.

• Prolific Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2010, 02:57:13 PM »
So...that was a perfectly decent episode, but felt like a letdown as a season finale.  Although I guess it's nice not to have every season finale be a giant cliffhanger. 

Looking towards Season 2, I wonder if the entire writing staff getting fired was a good thing, or a bad thing?  The show is getting a lot of good press, so hopefully that and the break after such a short season doesn't kill its buzz.

Offline Jimi James

• So Say We All
  • Administrator
  • Distinguished Member
  • Abandon Ship
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2010, 03:49:37 PM »
I've heard several reports that the entire writing staff being fired are untrue. 

Here's one:
http://io9.com/5706202/walking-dead-executive-producer-rebuffs-claims-of-writers-room-massacre

I thought it was a good continuation of the story.  Something that ramped up the drama or action far beyond what they had shown previously to the point where there was some epic cliffhanger would have felt out of place given the nature of the show.  So even with the huge explosion it was still a realistic development, which I think the show really needs to maintain.

Offline Flagg

• Board Legend
  • Gotham's Reckoning
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 07, 2010, 06:43:45 PM »
Considering that the writing staff only wrote 2 of the 6 episodes, it wouldn't be a big deal anyway.

I liked the finale, though was a bit miffed that they didn't resolve anything. At the same time I'm also kind of glad they are keeping Shane around for the time being anyway. I also wanna know what Jenner whispered into Ricks ear.

Offline Jimi James

• So Say We All
  • Administrator
  • Distinguished Member
  • Abandon Ship
    • View Profile

Offline Torlek

• Veteran Member
  • Burn it all down and start over.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 23, 2011, 07:03:44 PM »
I'm in.
The battle of modern programming is one waged between the engineers trying to craft a bigger,better idiot-proof program and the universe trying to breed bigger, better idiots.  So far, the universe is winning.

Offline Razor

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 23, 2011, 11:00:20 PM »
Considering that the writing staff only wrote 2 of the 6 episodes, it wouldn't be a big deal anyway.

I liked the finale, though was a bit miffed that they didn't resolve anything. At the same time I'm also kind of glad they are keeping Shane around for the time being anyway. I also wanna know what Jenner whispered into Ricks ear.

He said "I did Flagg's mom" ;)

Season 2 trailer:
http://www.nerdist.com/2011/07/heres-the-trailer-for-season-2-of-the-walking-dead/

Oh Im fuckin in.  That whole sequence looks incredible.

Offline Jimi James

• So Say We All
  • Administrator
  • Distinguished Member
  • Abandon Ship
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 16, 2011, 07:01:23 PM »
Season 2 bitches! 8)