Author Topic: $$$SGU "Trial and Error" Review and Discussion Thread (spoilers)$$$  (Read 3977 times)

Offline TNC

• Board Legend
  • Stuck in the middle of nowhere...
    • View Profile
Instead of a timeloop we have Destiny running a battle simulation and influencing Young's dreams.  Was the ship determining if he was a suitable leader or just experimenting?  Or maybe an Ascended Ancient programed the simulation and was messing with Young's mind?  Looks like Young was affected by killing Reily and has been kicking himself over it.

Oh and looks like Eli's found himself a girlfriend. 

(Spoilers: Next week the crew finds out that Rush found the bridge.)
“Battle is not a simulation. It’s blood and screams and funerals.” – Capt. Georgiou – Star Trek: Discovery – “The Vulcan Hello”

Offline Jimi James

• So Say We All
  • Administrator
  • Distinguished Member
  • Abandon Ship
    • View Profile
    • The New Haven Chronicles
Re: $$$SGU "Trial and Error" Review and Discussion Thread (spoilers)$$$
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2010, 11:19:25 PM »
Another episode we can chalk up under the dream/hallucination theme.  I really hope this has some sort of larger payoff and all these hallucination elements comeback to play some sort of role in the future.

Aside from that, it was an interesting story, with a unique twist on the repeated ship destruction timeloop plot.  We knew Young was going to have to break at some point and while it's good to get to it and move on, I have to wonder if that's all it's going to be.  It seemed far too easy to step back up to the plate so I'm wondering if this might be a temporary fix before a much larger breakdown.  I would have liked to have seen his breakdown and road to recovery taken more then just this one episode.

I liked the second run through of the loop/simulation when Scott assaults Young for handing over Chloe and Young just lays on the deck laughing.  It was a very 'Jokeresque' moment and even though it was played somewhat serious, I couldn't help but grin.

Eli and Ginn.  The obvious plot would be that she's getting close to him so she can have more access to the ship, so I'd like to think the smart move would be to have her actually have real feelings for Eli, and if and when the Lucian Alliance finally reveals their true motives (I'm still not buying the idea they're fully cooperating out of the goodness of their hearts and have no other agenda) Ginn will choose to side with Eli....cause really, Eli could use a win at this point.

The banter between Eli and Greer was fairly amusing.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2010, 11:21:55 PM by Jimi James »
https://www.patreon.com/JonMichaelMay
Help me make art, by joining me on Patreon. Various subscriptions tiers are in place, allowing you to support my addictive art habit for as little as $1 a month.

Offline Hobbes

• Veteran Member
  • Cinnamon! No!
    • View Profile
    • Federation Starship Datalink
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2010, 05:54:43 PM »
Julie McNiven is looking hot as Ginn.  I still think of her as the fallen angel Anna on Supernatural.  But I'm liking her SGU character.
"People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people."
Federation Starship Datalink

Offline Broken Subspace Scene

• Prolific Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2010, 09:10:38 PM »
Yeah, I really hope they're not going the predictable route with Ginn.  The fact that she seemed genuinely emotionally affected when Eli wasn't even in the room points to some sincerity.  I really liked the Eli-Greer dynamic, especially Greer's little smile early on.  Aside from simply facilitating his buddy getting a hot piece of ass, there's genuine friendship there.

I really thought the dreams, especially with the communications stone closeup at the beginning, were going to be derived from blue alien hacking.  I'm not sure if I like the technical explanation that Destiny has magic wireless mind-altering/reading powers, as, yet again, that seems like another odd piece of Ancient technology to never resurface in something like Atlantis. 

I totally thought "Joker" there too!  That was pretty psychotic. 

Offline Razor

• Board Legend
  • All things not of this world
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2010, 09:44:42 PM »
I really liked the Eli-Greer dynamic, especially Greer's little smile early on.  Aside from simply facilitating his buddy getting a hot piece of ass, there's genuine friendship there.

I enjoyed that too.  Greer is another reason I dont think anything is going on with Ginn either.  If he thought anything was up with her he'd have said something.
“The boat dipped and swayed and sometimes took on water, but it did not sink; the two brothers had waterproofed it well. I do not know where it finally fetched up, if it ever did; perhaps it reached the sea and sails there forever, like a magic boat in a fairytale. All I know is that it was still afloat and still running on the breast of the flood when it passed the incorporated town limits of Derry, Maine, and there it passes out of this tale forever.” ― Stephen King, It"
High priest in the Cult of J

Offline Fiery Little One

• Distinguished Member
  • Live Long and Prosper
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2010, 08:06:00 PM »
With this episode, I'm inclined to think Destiny's playing mind games with Rush and Young, literally with Young here. How it'll turn out, I couldn't say, but I would say the ship's having doubts about Young's state of mind or it wouldn't have been running these simulations in the first place.

As for Eli and Ginn... There's no way Greer would have cooked up that excuse to leave them alone if he thought for a second that she wasn't on the level.
Open your mind to new possibilities
-Trip(sort of), The Crossing

Offline Jedigreedo

• Veteran Member
  • Red Shirt Says Aaggghh
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2010, 11:17:25 PM »
I'm thinking Destiny's shenanigans are a reaction to Rush's throwing the ship out of its consistent procedures, but no idea for sure.  It's a really weird way to go about choosing a commander.

The Eli and Greer subplot was really great, especially since there's been occasions where it's been apparent that Greer is aware of Eli's pining for Chloe.  He really seems to be looking at Eli like a little brother now.  Although, my friend theorizes that Greer has a bet with someone else on who can get Eli some action.
"We came, we saw, we conquered, we woke up!"

Offline Razor

• Board Legend
  • All things not of this world
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2010, 02:28:52 AM »
I'm thinking Destiny's shenanigans are a reaction to Rush's throwing the ship out of its consistent procedures, but no idea for sure.  It's a really weird way to go about choosing a commander.

Thats an excellent point.  It also makes sense when you consider the later Lantian ships this could be an early version of the puddle jumper's pilot mechanism or a more widespread version of the control chair.  Destiny may not be sure what's going on and it may in fact choose its own commander not satisfied with either Young or Rush.  Its cool that Destiny is more than she seems.  She's not simply the rust bucket we thought she was.
“The boat dipped and swayed and sometimes took on water, but it did not sink; the two brothers had waterproofed it well. I do not know where it finally fetched up, if it ever did; perhaps it reached the sea and sails there forever, like a magic boat in a fairytale. All I know is that it was still afloat and still running on the breast of the flood when it passed the incorporated town limits of Derry, Maine, and there it passes out of this tale forever.” ― Stephen King, It"
High priest in the Cult of J

Offline Broken Subspace Scene

• Prolific Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2010, 07:36:06 AM »
One thought I had about the mind-wave thingy: this seems to be an odd inclusion if the Ancients were to be the ones flying the ship.  Is this, and the fact that Destiny is 'adapting to their presence', as Rush said, a firmer indication that Destiny was distinctly not intended for the Ancients to use, and was meant to be found by their descendants?

Offline caisson2delta

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2010, 12:59:10 PM »
I thought this was an interesting episode and one of the better ones, since the mid season break. You guys bring up some interesting points concerning the ship and, perhaps it choosing it's own commander. I had a similar thought, but was also wondering could some of this have been caused by a combination of Rush's interaction with the chair and the aliens? The alien encounter has obviously had an effect on Chloe, I just wonder if it has also done something to Rush, as well.

Offline TNC

• Board Legend
  • Stuck in the middle of nowhere...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2010, 01:28:27 PM »
After everything that's happened I'm more and more convinced that the Destiny is sentient and more than just a really advanced A.I.  The only question is did the Ancients make it sentient or did it somehow develop sentience during it's journey.  And with Rush's hallucinations, are both his wife and Franklin the ship trying to influence him or is it possible that Franklin is really an Ascended Franklin?
“Battle is not a simulation. It’s blood and screams and funerals.” – Capt. Georgiou – Star Trek: Discovery – “The Vulcan Hello”