Author Topic: What if FTL just doesnt happen  (Read 2968 times)

Offline IO

• Nova Cat FTW
    • View Profile
What if FTL just doesnt happen
« on: November 05, 2010, 09:52:53 PM »
To begin with, I dont know if this should go here, or even on this site, but fuck it, I need the feedback.

What if a society developed to the point that they said "Fuck it. It aint happening. Einstein was right. Damn you and your devilishly good looking hair." and abandoned the active search for faster than light travel, and instead focused on making their system capable of housing all of them?

I took that idea and ran with it, under a few constraints more for aesthetic than any real scientific reason. Most notably, there are no directed energy weapons in the traditional sense. The need never arose. Space combat never really took off as there was no real reason to have war ships capable of mounting huge lazer beams and such, primarily because no once could afford them. For this reason, they instead focus more on traditional (within reason) warfare in the form of foot soldiers, armor and navies. Interplanetary warfare is by and large economic in nature. Why send troops there, just to get shot down on approach when you can starve them out?

The system I am working on has 8 planets, 2 major asteroid belts, 12 Galilean moons, and thousands of stations occupying lagrange points and goestat orbits throughout the system. Spread throughout, there are 592 sovereign nations occupying the inner periphery (the area inside their kuiper belt analog) with countless groups spread amongst the Periphery belt (their kuiper belt) and even some extreme colonies nestled on the inner edges of the oort cloud. The inner periphery nations allign themselves into 10 Trade Blocs for representation at the System wide level.

Interplanetary travel is conducted primarily by huge, I mean gargantuan ferries, capable of top speeds in the .2 to .25 c range. They act a lot like the river ferries in most areas today, transporting masses of smaller orbital craft and cargo between the planets and stations. Speeds in excess of .25c are possible, but are not used due to the relativistic effects and overall costs of use.

A quick rundown:

Erin is an analogue to Mercury. Largely untouched short of a few solar observatories parked at L2 and L5.

Piscany is roughly two thirds the size of the earth, is tidally locked, and supports 3.9 billion people. It is also the bread basket of the system, with extensive auqacultural development.

Peris is the species homeworld, and also the most populous. I havent developed much beyond that.

Canton is a heavy Mars analogue, about the size of venus with martian features. It is the site of many treaties and was the site of the heaviest fighting during the System war.

The Morlak asteroid belt is riddled with mining colonies built into hollowed out asteroids. The dwarf planet Morlak is the political center of the belt, housing the main offices of the major mining operations, serving as capital to each.

Kerith is the largest ice giant and the second largest planet in the system. It has 5 moons, of which one is heavily settled, and another is being colonized.

Velec is the gas giant of the system and largest planet in the system. It also have 5 moons, one of which is heavily settled and are used to produce water for the system.

Wuldor is the smallest ice giant. It has one ice moon that is heavily settled. Both the planet and the moon are extensively mined to provide water and hydrogen fuel for reactors. It is the de facto political boundary of Bloc controlled space.

Oeru is the middle ice giant, and has the longest year. It has extensive station emplacements and serves as the last major stop before entering the periphery proper. It is controlled mostly by periphery states for its water and hydrogen sources.

The Periphery Belt houses an unknown number of people. Initially mined for its riches, it has since been overrun by local warlords and pirate cartels who use its expanse to hide from the more civil inner nations. Its inhabitants are sometimes referred to as the 11th or Ghost bloc.

Oort cloud. Attempts to estalblish way stations within the inner fringes of the cloud are often failures, but a few have succeeded. Those that do are often small communities surviving by clustering around a fusion reactor for heat and power.

I have devoloped the basic orbital radii and periods of the planets, otherwise only the inner terrestrial worlds have anything more.

Thoughts?

If a guy builds 1000 bridges,
and sucks one cock, he isn't a bridge builder. He's a cock sucker.

Offline Bernd

• Administrator
  • Distinguished Member
  • Lord of the Bored
    • View Profile
Re: What if FTL just doesnt happen
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2010, 04:28:44 AM »
Works for me. At some point the civilization would put all planets and asteroids to use.

I suppose you don't plan to incorporate aliens at any time (aliens who have mastered FTL in spite of everything)?

Offline IO

• Nova Cat FTW
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2010, 10:53:35 AM »
Pretty much. They have developed fairly advanced marine colonization ability. So much so one of the 10 trade blocs is the Mariculture Bloc.

I am even considering throwing a few dyson constructs in there for good measure. Maybe scaled down versions.

Aside from LaGrange points 1 and 2, where else might stations be concentrated. I know geostat is pretty good.

Offline Shik

• There's a million things I haven't done
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2010, 04:51:35 PM »
L3, 4, & 5 might be doable as waypoint stations. Might want to do something like in the Firefly 'verse, where there's a couple rings of equidistant stations at various solar orbit points. Also, polar stations.

Offline Torlek

• Veteran Member
  • Burn it all down and start over.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2010, 05:48:59 PM »
Polar stations would be a bit difficult, can't really do geosynch over the poles. I guess you could do one in a Halo orbit but as I understand it those are tricky to maintain. The Lagrange points are all, in theory, gravitationally stable but unless you're in a simple two body system even those can get funky. L1 and L2 are the best for "waypoint stations" because all you have to do for planetfall is just thrust a slight bit towards the planet and you fall back. L4 and L5 would be probably where you find more freeport type stations hanging out in the Trojans. If you're considering Dyson class constructs a possibility is to do a huge ring structure at geostationary altitude. Might be infeasible for an entire planet but should be doable for a moon. Also, you might want to look into the Interplanetary Transport Network. It's a series of transfer orbits calculated for the Sol system that use various gravitational nodes so transport between planets can be done with minimal delta-v.
The battle of modern programming is one waged between the engineers trying to craft a bigger,better idiot-proof program and the universe trying to breed bigger, better idiots.  So far, the universe is winning.

Offline IO

• Nova Cat FTW
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2010, 06:37:30 PM »
You sir are awesome, and I thank you for that. I will look into it immediately.

Offline IO

• Nova Cat FTW
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2010, 04:25:33 PM »
Okay, because I am using templates from a foundering site, i figured id post other ideas that are developing from this as I go, thoughts and such are always welcome.

Title: Piscany
Author: ilKhan Ozy
Editor: {Editor’s Name}

Description: The Piscan plains are a site to behold. Although the world is tidally locked, it was the first to be colonized. Its relatively sustained winds allow it to be supported entirely on wind energy. The poles and equatorial zones are known for their swaying grain fields. The unique nature of Piscany gives it the cleanest atmosphere in the system, and as such it has the oldest population, with the average age being 137 years. Also known as the bread basket of the system.

The staple crop of Picsany and Aleator as a whole is the Ratoon, a rice like plant grown in the wet monsoon regions between the equator and poles. On the day side of the planet, the heavy storms help regulate the temperature and light amounts that reach the crop. On the night side, huge fish farms provide ample crops of Tonsure (salmon like fish), as well as smaller crops of Galvas (shrimp like creatures), and many sea weeds type plants. These crops form the primary diet of Piscans, as well as nearly all space stations and ships. Huge orbital loading stations at Lagrange points 1 and 2 serve as distribution centers for the foodstuffs. To keep them from spoiling, most perishable foods are freeze dried before shipping in the minimal atmosphere containers.

In the relatively calm equatorial and polar regions, the great cities sprawl the coastlines and fields. With its population relatively stable at 3.89 billion people, Piscany is the second most populous planet. With the establishment of Piscina nearly 700 years ago, Pisciny is has the oldest surviving settlements of the System Age. Today Piscina Basin is the largest city, centered 20 kilometers from the original colony of Piscina.

As one might expect, a lot can happen in 700 years. Today there are 26 nations with territorial claims to Piscany. The oldest and therefore the largest of these nations form the Greater Agrarian Bloc, one of the many supranational political unions of Aleator. Of the remainder, all but the two members of the Mariculture Bloc, which are largely separated from Piscany at large due to their submarine habitats, form the Lesser Agrarian Bloc.

Average Orbit Radius: 0.65 AU

Eccentricity: 0.018, during the summer and winter, the wind speeds at the equatorial terminator will reach peaks of 40 km/h due to pressure differences between the hemispheres. During the fall and spring, these speeds will slow to averages of 30 km/h

Obliquity: Less than one degree

Rotational Period: 189.8 Earth days

Orbital Period: 189.8 Earth Days

Planet Type: Terrestrial

Polar Radius: 5530.4 km

Mass: 3.8231 x 10^24 kg

Average Density: 5.404 g/cm^3

Surface Gravity: 8.23m/s^2 or 0.84 gee’s

Surface Percentage Land: 35%

Satellites: Sstations at all Lagrange points

Temperature Ranges: The sun side desert averages temperatures in excess of335 K (150+ Fahrenheit). The night side of the planet averages temperatures of 275 K (35 Fahrenheit). At the Terminator within 30 to 60 degrees latitude, the temperature averages a comfortable 300 K (80 Fahrenheit), although this region is home to turbulent weather during the summer and winter months.

Climate Ranges: The equator witnesses the most extreme of temperatures, with the sun side witnessing the hottest temperatures and the night side witnessing near freezing temperatures. Factoring in the wind chill, the night side equator has huge ice flows. The equatorial regions experience warm, high pressure winds and the polar regions experience cool, low pressure winds throughout the year. Regions near the terminator within 30 to 60 degrees latitude experience near constant storms paralleling hurricanes.  Occupation of these areas is sparse at best, with only the hardiest of farmers tending the hardiest of crops.

Atmospheric Composition: 31.74% Nitrogen, 25.26% Argon, and 22.02 % He, 20.73 % Oxygen, and .25% trace gases

Atmospheric Pressure: 106.421 kPa

Mineral Composition: {What elements are common on this planet? Is the core different from the mantel and crust? For Earth The Core - iron and nickel; The Mantel - mostly iron, oxygen, silicon, magnesium, nickel, and sulfur; and The Crust - oxygen, silicon, aluminum, iron, calcium, sodium, and potassium.}