Author Topic: $$$SGU "Malice" Review and Discussion Thread (spoilers)$$$  (Read 4758 times)

Offline TNC

• Board Legend
  • Stuck in the middle of nowhere...
    • View Profile
$$$SGU "Malice" Review and Discussion Thread (spoilers)$$$
« on: November 16, 2010, 11:36:33 PM »
Rush wasn't playing...  Triggering that stampede was pretty cool.

Even if he had taken Simeon back alive I doubt he would have given up any information about the attack.  I wonder if Chloe just reploted Destiny's course or did more.
“Battle is not a simulation. It’s blood and screams and funerals.” – Capt. Georgiou – Star Trek: Discovery – “The Vulcan Hello”

Offline Razor

• Board Legend
  • All things not of this world
    • View Profile
Re: $$$SGU "Malice" Review and Discussion Thread (spoilers)$$$
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2010, 11:39:01 PM »
This episode was fried gold!  Seriously this entire half season has been pretty solid if not all around excellent.
“The boat dipped and swayed and sometimes took on water, but it did not sink; the two brothers had waterproofed it well. I do not know where it finally fetched up, if it ever did; perhaps it reached the sea and sails there forever, like a magic boat in a fairytale. All I know is that it was still afloat and still running on the breast of the flood when it passed the incorporated town limits of Derry, Maine, and there it passes out of this tale forever.” ― Stephen King, It"
High priest in the Cult of J

Offline Jimi James

• So Say We All
  • Administrator
  • Distinguished Member
  • Abandon Ship
    • View Profile
    • The New Haven Chronicles
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2010, 09:16:42 AM »
The stampede, best revenge kill ever.
https://www.patreon.com/JonMichaelMay
Help me make art, by joining me on Patreon. Various subscriptions tiers are in place, allowing you to support my addictive art habit for as little as $1 a month.

Offline caisson2delta

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2010, 10:26:25 PM »
The stampede, best revenge kill ever.
A bullet in the head was pretty hardcore, too, especially after being stampeded. It was good to see Rush have a backbone, of sorts. I didn't think he had it in him. He needs to work on his aim a bit though.

Offline TNC

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2010, 10:36:32 PM »
It was good to see Rush have a backbone, of sorts. I didn't think he had it in him. He needs to work on his aim a bit though.

Heh.  I know he probably wasn't in the right state of mind to think about it, but he should have grabbed whatever supplies the jerk was carrying and brought back to the ship.  Considering that they are low on ammo and such.
“Battle is not a simulation. It’s blood and screams and funerals.” – Capt. Georgiou – Star Trek: Discovery – “The Vulcan Hello”

Offline Razor

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2010, 11:25:43 PM »
^^^I think he did.
“The boat dipped and swayed and sometimes took on water, but it did not sink; the two brothers had waterproofed it well. I do not know where it finally fetched up, if it ever did; perhaps it reached the sea and sails there forever, like a magic boat in a fairytale. All I know is that it was still afloat and still running on the breast of the flood when it passed the incorporated town limits of Derry, Maine, and there it passes out of this tale forever.” ― Stephen King, It"

Offline Fiery Little One

• Distinguished Member
  • Live Long and Prosper
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2010, 10:08:14 PM »
He needs to work on his aim a bit though.

That wasn't why he kept missing. It was just a distraction to keep Simeon from finding out about the trap he just walked into until it was too late to do anything about it.;D

I'm glad Young pulled Eli off the path he was headed down.
Open your mind to new possibilities
-Trip(sort of), The Crossing

Offline Broken Subspace Scene

• Prolific Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2010, 05:04:32 PM »
I liked how he didn't say anything when he killed him.  Just blammo.  Although "BOOM!  HEADSHOT!" would have been acceptable narration.

I really didn't find the Eli scene carried weight with me.  Pudgy dorky emo kid is putting on his fatigues and being all like "LOCK AND LOAD!"?  Please. 

Offline Razor

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2010, 07:56:09 PM »
^^^I thought the scene on the bridge with him losing his temper at Volker and Chloe was far more effective but I can see why he did that.

emo kid

Uhhh the one person he was close with on the ship was murdered in cold blood.  That would make anyone a bit emotional.

Offline Jimi James

• So Say We All
  • Administrator
  • Distinguished Member
  • Abandon Ship
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2010, 08:00:13 PM »
That's probably the first time I've ever heard anyone describe Eli as emo.

To me it seemed less about Eli going to the planet to take on Simian himself and more about needing to do something which in his mind was actually going to get results, instead of sitting on the bridge crunching numbers which was going nowhere until Chole took over. 
Help me make art, by joining me on Patreon. Various subscriptions tiers are in place, allowing you to support my addictive art habit for as little as $1 a month.

Offline Broken Subspace Scene

• Prolific Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2010, 09:12:27 PM »
Yeah, I thought the bridge scene was truer to character. 

Poor choice of words, but you know what I mean.  I understand what it was trying to do, but it just didn't feel believable to me. 

Offline Razor

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2010, 09:30:30 PM »
^^Well he was being irrational with greif.

Offline evilsmileyface12

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2010, 09:48:20 PM »
seems like Eli was out of it and just think "what would everyone else do" not ever being in a situation like that him self not knowing what to do. Scotts off world, Cloe taken controll of the bridge...

Did they actually confirm that the both people attached to the stones both died?

And that was a fitting revenge death by stamped and face to face execution.
ESF-12

Offline TNC

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2010, 10:00:14 PM »
Did they actually confirm that the both people attached to the stones both died?

Yeah they sent someone back right after they found them dead.  I think it was Lt. James, that's when she said that both of them were dead and that Semien had info about the attack on Earth.

Offline Jimi James

• So Say We All
  • Administrator
  • Distinguished Member
  • Abandon Ship
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2010, 11:17:30 PM »
I was surprised they killed off Rush's doctor friend.  I figured they would have rattled off some technobabble about how she survived after the link was severed, so that she could come back later on.  I would have expected at least one of them to have survived.

Offline Fiery Little One

• Distinguished Member
  • Live Long and Prosper
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2010, 11:26:52 PM »
My guess? A quirk of our set up compared to the ones the Ancients used.
Open your mind to new possibilities
-Trip(sort of), The Crossing

Offline TNC

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2010, 12:14:11 AM »
Been a while since I've seen it... But I'm 90% sure that in the episodes that introduced the Ori, Vala (in another woman's body) was roasted by the villagers and that killed Vala back on Earth.  And they were using a bona fide Ancient version of the device.  Although, that might have had something to do with the Goa'uld bracelet thingy she and Daniel were wearing.  :-\

Hm... Checks SG Wiki...  Yep, I'm right, Vala died when the girl on the other end was burned.