Author Topic: $$$SGU "Visitation" Review and Discussion Thread (spoilers)$$$  (Read 2899 times)

Offline TNC

• Board Legend
  • Stuck in the middle of nowhere...
    • View Profile
$$$SGU "Visitation" Review and Discussion Thread (spoilers)$$$
« on: November 24, 2010, 12:49:11 PM »
Well it looks like what Jimi said was right...

Heard an interesting idea today about the whole recurring 'hallucination' idea, particularly as it relates to Rush, TJ, and Young.

We saw Destiny testing Young because he's a vital member of the crew, as if Destiny has provided what Young needs in order to get his act together and be a functioning member of the crew.

Now compare this to what we see with TJ, giving her the idea that he baby is safe so that the crews only medic doesn't lose her marbles and do her job.

And then Rush, seeing his wife and what's his name that sat in the chair, possibly allowing him some measure of guilt relief towards the actions he's taken in the past and being forced to take as the hallucinations are taking place.

So maybe Destiny was responsible for TJ's and Rush's hallucinations as well, which I think is way more significant in regards to TJ.  Rush already knows his wife is dead so there's no real shock if/when the truth is revealed, however if/when TJ learns that her baby really is dead, she's going to lose it.

The people they left behind came back in a brand-new shuttle that was picking up a signal which will lead them back to Earth... Wait, wrong series.  Anywho the people all died on the planet and the aliens who built the planet reanimated them and brought them back in a restored shuttle, for some reason.  TJ's baby was not among them and had they had no memory of TJ being brought there with a baby and there were no cabins.  So it looks like Destiny was making her hallucinate, and if that's the case it probably and put the nebula in the dream and dropped out of FTL near it as a way of further convincing her that her dream was real.  Though she didn't seem to really loose it (or if she did she regained her composure quickly), but maybe that's coming soon.

Favorite quotes:

"'Any technology sufficiently advanced is indistinguishable from magic.' Aurthur C. Clark" - Eli
"'Turn the mic back on.' Winston Churchill" - Young
"Really?" - Eli

Next week is the mid-season finale.  :(
“Battle is not a simulation. It’s blood and screams and funerals.” – Capt. Georgiou – Star Trek: Discovery – “The Vulcan Hello”

Offline Jimi James

• So Say We All
  • Administrator
  • Distinguished Member
  • Abandon Ship
    • View Profile
    • The New Haven Chronicles
Re: $$$SGU "Visitation" Review and Discussion Thread (spoilers)$$$
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2010, 02:30:56 PM »
I'm glad they've wrapped up the story line with the people they left behind and dealt with TJ's hallucination/simulation, for the most part, as it would have been easy to just move on and never bring it up again.  The resolution wasn't really satisfying but not really disappointing either.  As we've come to expect from Universe, we just sort of have to take it for what it is, a resolution.  Things happen in these 'filler' episodes bit by bit until there's a massive turning point and everything comes to a head, which is likely to be the next episode.  I'm not sure if this will play much into everything else that's going on, but it's nice to see some measure of closure on this plot.

For me, the stronger part of this episode was the side story with Chloe, Greer, Scott, and Eli.  The best part of the whole exchange was the scene between Chloe and Greer when he comes to ask forgiveness, because he knows that very soon they're going to have to deal with her once and for all, and that it will likely be him that is ordered to see to her end.  I felt the scene was top notch, the writing spot on, and the two actors delivered some of their best performances of the series so far.

They continue to prove Greer is a multilayered character and not just the token black action guy, by giving him strong character defining moments like this one.  I like that Greer is forced to walk the line between friendship and doing his job, with regards to Scott, and often the line is blurred or just gone completely.  He's looking out for his friend and trying to save him some grief, but at the same time it's his job to make sure Scott doesn't make critical mistakes that put others in danger.  The two objectives seem so closely related that it's a wonder Greer knows which one he's truly undertaking.
https://www.patreon.com/JonMichaelMay
Help me make art, by joining me on Patreon. Various subscriptions tiers are in place, allowing you to support my addictive art habit for as little as $1 a month.

Offline Razor

• Board Legend
  • All things not of this world
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2010, 04:34:07 PM »
Okay I'l post more later but uh did Caine survive?
“The boat dipped and swayed and sometimes took on water, but it did not sink; the two brothers had waterproofed it well. I do not know where it finally fetched up, if it ever did; perhaps it reached the sea and sails there forever, like a magic boat in a fairytale. All I know is that it was still afloat and still running on the breast of the flood when it passed the incorporated town limits of Derry, Maine, and there it passes out of this tale forever.” ― Stephen King, It"
High priest in the Cult of J

Offline Jimi James

• So Say We All
  • Administrator
  • Distinguished Member
  • Abandon Ship
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2010, 05:15:39 PM »
It was my understanding that he was suffering from exposure like many of the others and was finally the last one to die.  Though it wasn't entirely clear, given the Kino footage with the bright light at the end.  However seeing as he was 'restored' to near perfect health when they were all transported via the shuttle back to Destiny, and given his conversation with TJ about being a shadow of his former self, I'm assuming he died on the planet before they were 'rescued' by the aliens, reanimated like everyone else, and then died again not long after he and TJ had their special moment in the observation lounge.

So is anyone else thinking these aliens that made the planet and tried to save the stranded crew, might be the same intelligence responsible for the signal that Destiny is tracking down.
Help me make art, by joining me on Patreon. Various subscriptions tiers are in place, allowing you to support my addictive art habit for as little as $1 a month.

Offline TNC

• Board Legend
  • Stuck in the middle of nowhere...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2010, 07:07:34 PM »
So is anyone else thinking these aliens that made the planet and tried to save the stranded crew, might be the same intelligence responsible for the signal that Destiny is tracking down.

I think it's highly likely.  I also think the signal Destiny is tracking might have something to do with the "meaning of life stuff" from "The Torment of Tantalus".
“Battle is not a simulation. It’s blood and screams and funerals.” – Capt. Georgiou – Star Trek: Discovery – “The Vulcan Hello”

Offline Data007

• Eminent Member
  • What? You don't have voices in your head?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2010, 09:56:41 PM »
That'd be one massive and awesome call-back.
"Titans are the God-Machines of the Adeptus Mechanicus. Imagine a city. Now imagine that city is angry at you, can walk, and has continent leveling weapons aimed at you. And is inhabited by more things that hate you. You have a rough idea of a Titan."

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied chains us all irrevocably." Judge Aaron Satie

New Haven Chronicles

Offline Razor

• Board Legend
  • All things not of this world
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2010, 04:31:36 AM »
That'd be one massive and awesome call-back.

Stargate can do it.  Hell this and Atlantis were basically call backs to the 2nd season.

This was an interesting episode to say the least.  I was a little dissapointed that TJ's vision turned out to be false and that it may have been Destiny getting inside her head but Im glad we got closure with Eden (Though as I mentioned the ambiguous ending annoyed me).  One thing I was dissapointed with was that we didnt get a follow up with Rush and Eli over the loss of Dr Perry and Ginn respectively.  Speaking of which Scott isn't the only one who visits Chloe Eli does too nice one Matt.  As pointed out Greer is turning out to be quite the multifaceted character.  Though I would be far less likely to accept my situation unlike Chloe.
“The boat dipped and swayed and sometimes took on water, but it did not sink; the two brothers had waterproofed it well. I do not know where it finally fetched up, if it ever did; perhaps it reached the sea and sails there forever, like a magic boat in a fairytale. All I know is that it was still afloat and still running on the breast of the flood when it passed the incorporated town limits of Derry, Maine, and there it passes out of this tale forever.” ― Stephen King, It"
High priest in the Cult of J

Offline Jimi James

• So Say We All
  • Administrator
  • Distinguished Member
  • Abandon Ship
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2010, 11:05:03 AM »
That would be a pretty cool callback and I agree, if anyone can pull it off, Stargate certainly can.  There's something about the mythology they've built up that lends itself well to that sort of 'this has been our plan from day one/it's been there all this time' style of retcon that doesn't really make it seem like they're going back to mess with stuff, but rather expanding upon what's already there.

There was considerably little Rush in this episode, to the point I actually thought to myself, what is he off doing by himself now that he can't hide in his math hallway or on the bridge.  Is he just taking it easy.

And I agree Razor, it seemed odd perhaps even a misstep, that Rush and Eli didn't have any real follow up to the losses they've suffered.  I almost felt as though Eli was about to say something/show something when he was making the Kino recording about losing Chloe....maybe that he's already lost so much or after losing Ginn he can't imagine having to lose Chloe so soon after.

Whatever their feelings on the matter though, there needed to be something and hopefully it's not all wrapped up neatly and swept under the rug Trek style; losing someone one day and over it the next.  Given what's happened so far though, I doubt we've seen or heard the last of the repercussions.  I'd like to see that killing what's his name, really effected Rush more then he expected, that he's having trouble sleeping, and can't really bring himself to come to grips with taking a life with his own hands. 

The things he's been responsible for in the past, while decided and acted upon with a certain amount of no looking back bravado, have all been somewhat removed.  While he's ultimately responsible for Riley's death, he didn't stand over him and choke the life out of him like Young.  He's faced that moment now however, standing over a man and ending his life, seeing his eyes when he pulls the trigger.  If that doesn't have some effect on Rush, then the writers are doing him a grave disservice.

As for Eli, I'm hoping they don't write off his 'experience' with Ginn as some sort of fling, and now that the end is near for Chloe, he just switches back into 'I really love you, but we're only friends' mode.

Offline Broken Subspace Scene

• Prolific Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2010, 08:18:49 AM »
I actually sort of liked how the situation on Eden was ambiguous, so it was almost disappointing in a way to see it resolved.  I thought Caine was definitely a goner until the light...but he's probably dead too.  Will the shuttle magically evaporate or something as well?  It doesn't seem so, making the episode feel slightly like a roundabout way to get them a nice new shuttle with "that new shuttle smell".

Yes, it seems like there was no greater significance to TJ's baby aside from Destiny mindgames.  Hm.  Thought it might be bigger than that. 

Agreed, I thought Eli should have really mentioned Ginn on the Kino.  I felt what Rush did do was done well, though.  He was following through on the truce and being fairly respectful to everyone, except to Caine.  You could read that as the simple context of spitefulness of Caine's belief in "magic" and suspicion of him, but it could also be spitefulness that Caine came back from the dead, unlike Mandy.