Author Topic: A discussion of Destiny  (Read 2820 times)

Offline Razor

• Board Legend
  • All things not of this world
    • View Profile
A discussion of Destiny
« on: December 09, 2010, 01:44:39 AM »
The purpose of this thread is to discuss the ancient starship Destiny itself as well as its mission.

-The ship has a pyramid type structure on its back.  This makes me wonder if the pyramid was originally an ancient design motif that the Goau'ld later stole.
-Destiny is quite durable and hearty for a ship of several million years old.
-Like later Ancient ships the Destiny's design is asymetrical.
-It has an interesting steam punk design asthetic.

“The boat dipped and swayed and sometimes took on water, but it did not sink; the two brothers had waterproofed it well. I do not know where it finally fetched up, if it ever did; perhaps it reached the sea and sails there forever, like a magic boat in a fairytale. All I know is that it was still afloat and still running on the breast of the flood when it passed the incorporated town limits of Derry, Maine, and there it passes out of this tale forever.” ― Stephen King, It"
High priest in the Cult of J

Offline Data007

• Eminent Member
  • What? You don't have voices in your head?
    • View Profile
Re: A discussion of Destiny
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2010, 08:30:39 AM »
I pointed out when we first got a look at her that she looked a lot like one of Atlantis's large city 'wings.' In profile, anyway. Obviously she doesn't have the huge towers.
"Titans are the God-Machines of the Adeptus Mechanicus. Imagine a city. Now imagine that city is angry at you, can walk, and has continent leveling weapons aimed at you. And is inhabited by more things that hate you. You have a rough idea of a Titan."

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied chains us all irrevocably." Judge Aaron Satie

New Haven Chronicles

Offline TNC

• Board Legend
  • Stuck in the middle of nowhere...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2010, 09:51:35 PM »
I think the ship is sentient.  What I wonder is if the Ancients built it with a sentient A.I. or if somehow in its millions of years of operation the A.I. evolved into a sentient lifeform.  Also why would the Ancients give it the ability to mess with people's heads like has been shown with T.J., Rush, and Young?  Or did the ship have some sort of mental interface that it modified to allow it to mess with the crew's head?
“Battle is not a simulation. It’s blood and screams and funerals.” – Capt. Georgiou – Star Trek: Discovery – “The Vulcan Hello”

Offline Razor

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2010, 03:31:40 AM »
^^^I agree that it has attained a type of sentience, similar to V'ger or R2D2 than a fully functioning human sentience.  I would say it started out as an early version of the control interface similar to the control chair and Puddlejumper's control.  Maybe it attained this sentience as a side effect of all the info its gathered on this "God pattern".  Sort of like how ascension is gained through knowledge and understanding of the universe.  Perhaps the ships ultimate goal is to ascend itself.
“The boat dipped and swayed and sometimes took on water, but it did not sink; the two brothers had waterproofed it well. I do not know where it finally fetched up, if it ever did; perhaps it reached the sea and sails there forever, like a magic boat in a fairytale. All I know is that it was still afloat and still running on the breast of the flood when it passed the incorporated town limits of Derry, Maine, and there it passes out of this tale forever.” ― Stephen King, It"

Offline Razor

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2011, 04:45:05 AM »
Joseph Mellozzi brought up some new info on Destiny and the seed ships.

http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/2011/01/17/january-17-2011-the-iron-hunt-by-marjorie-m-liu/

asdasdg also writes: “Why didn’t the Seed Ship have a lockout on the navigational controls like Destiny did with the master code?”

Answer: The seed ships don’t contain the valuable data Destiny possesses.  Liken them to bees.  Destiny is the queen.  The seed ships are the worker bees.

See now I would have assumed that the seed ships would be more important.

Offline Argosy Special Ops

• Veteran Member
  • Mentat Master of Vulcan Gun Katas
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2011, 12:39:49 AM »
I think that the seed ships would be lower value assets than the Destiny as they serve as a multitude of heralds that precedes the high value asset (Destiny).
"Be ashamed to die until you have won some victory for humanity."- Horace Mann