Author Topic: SGU Canceled  (Read 9999 times)

Offline TNC

• Board Legend
  • Stuck in the middle of nowhere...
    • View Profile
SGU Canceled
« on: December 16, 2010, 05:38:35 PM »
Syfy canceled SGU.  >:( >:( >:(

I'm fucking done with Syfy.  I think I'm not even going to bother watching the new BSG series they're making.
“Battle is not a simulation. It’s blood and screams and funerals.” – Capt. Georgiou – Star Trek: Discovery – “The Vulcan Hello”

Offline Jimi James

• So Say We All
  • Administrator
  • Distinguished Member
  • Abandon Ship
    • View Profile
    • The New Haven Chronicles
Re: SGU Canceled
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2010, 06:07:19 PM »
Fuck! >:(
They should at least try the rest of the season back on Friday nights before they give up on it.  The bad thing is that the rest of the season is already shot, so they can't even try to shoe horn in some sort of ending to the overall story.  We'll likely get the season two cliffhanger finale and then nothing....
« Last Edit: December 16, 2010, 06:13:59 PM by Jimi James »
https://www.patreon.com/JonMichaelMay
Help me make art, by joining me on Patreon. Various subscriptions tiers are in place, allowing you to support my addictive art habit for as little as $1 a month.

Offline Jon

• Prolific Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2010, 06:12:10 PM »
So...They were disappointed that it wasn't delivering as well as SG1 and SGA, then moved it to Tuesdays, then bitched that it got even worse viewing, and now are hanging it up? They were doing fine on Fridays, and they fucked up when they put it on Tuesdays.

Just because one or two completely different series were doing well on Tuesdays, it didn't mean that SGU would do well on Tuesdays.

What ever is dropping coin down the drain, they drop...That's all they care about...

/rant >:(

Offline Jedigreedo

• Veteran Member
  • Red Shirt Says Aaggghh
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2010, 06:46:30 PM »
Welp, to hell siffy.  I've no reason to support their channel anymore since that was the last thing I watched on there. 

Now hopefully we'll finally get that Atlantis DVD movie to give the show a better sendoff.
"We came, we saw, we conquered, we woke up!"

Offline Jimi James

• So Say We All
  • Administrator
  • Distinguished Member
  • Abandon Ship
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2010, 06:54:54 PM »
I wouldn't hold your breath on that Atlantis movie.  Not when they can spend their money on wrestling and monster hunting....or more new shows that will only be supported for two seasons then dropped so they can move on to something new. >:(
Help me make art, by joining me on Patreon. Various subscriptions tiers are in place, allowing you to support my addictive art habit for as little as $1 a month.

Offline Broken Subspace Scene

• Prolific Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2010, 07:13:26 PM »
Yeah, I think Atlantis is for all intents and purposes VERY firmly buried.  SG1 has longer legs because of its greater popularity and the RDA factor.

This is obviously very disappointing considering things have been rather enjoyable from mid season 1 onwards.  It seems kind of baffling when the ratings weren't THAT bad, especially to do it mid season.  With MGM's troubles, you have to wonder if Stargate can come back.

Maybe, if we all wish upon a star, one of the cable channels reaching out into sci fi (y hello thar, AMC...) might pick up the franchise down the line.  They had a good thing going with SGU though, what a shame.  Feel bad for the cast too, a lot of them seemed like really nice people.

Offline TNC

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2010, 07:19:24 PM »
With regards to the movies...

The Atlantis movie is titled Stargate: Extinction.  Apparently back in June one of the producers said the release date on IMDB was "wishful thinking".  http://stargate.wikia.com/wiki/Stargate:_Extinction 

There's an SG-1 movie coming out too (Revolution).  But the latest news I saw on it was something from 2009 that said that filming would start later in the year (which I'm not sure has happened)...
http://stargate.wikia.com/wiki/Stargate:_Revolution
http://blastr.com/2009/09/amanda-tapping-new-starga.php

Supposedly both will air on Syfy at some point.  If they ever get finished that is.

Here's something on Gateworld: http://www.gateworld.net/news/2010/09/producers-have-a-plan-b-to-get-those-sg-1atlantis-movies-made/

Apparently they have a "Plan B" to get the movies launched, but don't go into detail about it.  And this was released in September... 

And more depressing SG related news, apparently MGM has filed for bankrupcy.
http://www.gateworld.net/news/2010/10/mgm-planning-prepackaged-bankruptcy-spyglass-takeover/
“Battle is not a simulation. It’s blood and screams and funerals.” – Capt. Georgiou – Star Trek: Discovery – “The Vulcan Hello”

Offline Fiery Little One

• Distinguished Member
  • Live Long and Prosper
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2010, 10:31:05 PM »
!$@^#&&&&@$$$*$(%#%&(

This is absolute BS. They shot themselves in the foot with their move to Tuesday. Space has been good about this, started on Friday and has stayed there.
Open your mind to new possibilities
-Trip(sort of), The Crossing

Offline TNC

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2010, 10:43:31 PM »

Offline Jimi James

• So Say We All
  • Administrator
  • Distinguished Member
  • Abandon Ship
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2010, 11:01:01 PM »
Yeah, that's pretty low.

Offline Razor

• Board Legend
  • All things not of this world
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2010, 11:44:31 PM »
GODDAMMIT!!!!!  This is ridiculous the ratings (why we care about that antiquated system in this day and age is beyond me) had evened out!
“The boat dipped and swayed and sometimes took on water, but it did not sink; the two brothers had waterproofed it well. I do not know where it finally fetched up, if it ever did; perhaps it reached the sea and sails there forever, like a magic boat in a fairytale. All I know is that it was still afloat and still running on the breast of the flood when it passed the incorporated town limits of Derry, Maine, and there it passes out of this tale forever.” ― Stephen King, It"
High priest in the Cult of J

Offline Razor

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2010, 11:53:05 PM »
!$@^#&&&&@$$$*$(%#%&(

This is absolute BS. They shot themselves in the foot with their move to Tuesday. Space has been good about this, started on Friday and has stayed there.

Damn you and your superior Canadian channels.
“The boat dipped and swayed and sometimes took on water, but it did not sink; the two brothers had waterproofed it well. I do not know where it finally fetched up, if it ever did; perhaps it reached the sea and sails there forever, like a magic boat in a fairytale. All I know is that it was still afloat and still running on the breast of the flood when it passed the incorporated town limits of Derry, Maine, and there it passes out of this tale forever.” ― Stephen King, It"

Offline Fiery Little One

• Distinguished Member
  • Live Long and Prosper
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2010, 12:43:43 AM »
Eh, I may question their schedule decisions from time to time, but at least I can count on them to keep things as they should be more often than not, unlike Sci-Fi it would seem.

As for the actors and crew finding out via twitter... That's low...

Offline Jimi James

• So Say We All
  • Administrator
  • Distinguished Member
  • Abandon Ship
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2010, 01:14:01 AM »
SyFy owes the Stargate franchise far more respect then this.  SG-1 pretty much single-handedly turned the sci-fi channel from a network of reruns, into a contender of first run programing.  If there isn't a major fallout and/or backlash from the sheer amateur way in which this is being handled, I would be seriously surprised.  As many times as sci-fi fans have been burned by the Fox network, I don't ever recall them ever handling a cancellation as poorly as this.  And in my book, you have to go pretty far to outdo Fox, which for all the good shows it's had, (and they certainly get credit for pushing as much sci-fi as they do) they're certainly no stranger to the premature cancellation hammer.

Way to go Syfy Channel.  You're officially worse then Fox.

Offline Razor

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2010, 01:19:32 AM »
^^^I was thinking that myself Jimi.  See Im really beginning to wonder MGM had really banked allot on the Stargate franchise SGU in particular.  Im wondering if it is possible that they'd fish it out to say AMC or Showtime again.  Either way Im done with Syfy which sort of sucks for me as I did genuinly enjoy Destination Truth.

Offline Jimi James

• So Say We All
  • Administrator
  • Distinguished Member
  • Abandon Ship
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2010, 01:38:39 AM »
I really hope that's the case and that it finds a new home on another network.  It will be worth watching http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/ over the next couple days to see what happens.  And again, Mallozzi doesn't mention a call from the network or cite some press release, but says that it's been confirmed via twitter.  I guess he didn't get the text message.

I'm on the fence.  After this, I don't want to stick with SyFy, but I'm curious about the new BSG series...even though I suspect it will be BSG-lite; all the action and none of the depth.  That''s the only thing stopping me from completely letting go of the SyFy network.

Offline Razor

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2010, 02:22:44 AM »
^^^I get the distinct impression you're right about that.  Im just so disgusted by this whole thing.

Offline Xero

• Board Legend
  • Let the big man do his job.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2010, 05:40:01 AM »
SyFy... fuck you!
"Well Steve, I think it's more like we both had this rich neighbor named Xerox and I broke into his house to steal the TV set and found out that you had already stolen it." - Bill Gate's response to Steve Jobs' accusation of theft.

Offline Razor

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 17, 2010, 07:07:17 AM »
I say we need to start up a new sci fi channel.  No better yet a Horror/sci fi network that runs reruns of old sci fi and horror shows and has movie theme weekends...you know something like syfy was 13 YEARS AGO!!!!!!

Offline Xero

• Board Legend
  • Let the big man do his job.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 17, 2010, 07:56:41 AM »
I say we need to start up a new sci fi channel.  No better yet a Horror/sci fi network that runs reruns of old sci fi and horror shows and has movie theme weekends...you know something like syfy was 13 YEARS AGO!!!!!!

You guys really need a station like Space. Sci-fi, Sci-fact, fantasy, geek news.
"Well Steve, I think it's more like we both had this rich neighbor named Xerox and I broke into his house to steal the TV set and found out that you had already stolen it." - Bill Gate's response to Steve Jobs' accusation of theft.

Offline Razor

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 17, 2010, 08:43:13 AM »
This is true.

Offline Stoo

• an all too ordinary story
  • Global Moderator
  • Eminent Member
    • View Profile
    • A Force for Good
« Reply #21 on: December 17, 2010, 09:42:58 AM »
I can't get too outraged about this as I lost the motivation to keep watching early on - it felt kind of slow and limited.

But it is still the end of a major tv-scifi era.

Offline Jimi James

• So Say We All
  • Administrator
  • Distinguished Member
  • Abandon Ship
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 17, 2010, 02:55:31 PM »
There's a petition going here for all the good it might do.  http://www.petitionspot.com/petitions/savesgu/sign
It's linked to facebook though I believe.

Offline Broken Subspace Scene

• Prolific Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 17, 2010, 05:24:21 PM »
Worth pointing out that announcing the cancellation of SG:1 at the 200th episode wrap party was pretty low too...

Offline Fiery Little One

• Distinguished Member
  • Live Long and Prosper
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 17, 2010, 05:40:37 PM »
As low as that may have been, this is worse.