Author Topic: SGU Canceled  (Read 10015 times)

Offline TNC

• Board Legend
  • Stuck in the middle of nowhere...
    • View Profile
Re: SGU Canceled
« Reply #25 on: December 17, 2010, 08:58:27 PM »
I say we need to start up a new sci fi channel.  No better yet a Horror/sci fi network that runs reruns of old sci fi and horror shows and has movie theme weekends...you know something like syfy was 13 YEARS AGO!!!!!!

Indeed!  <Off topic rant> In the past 15 or so years every fucking channel that had a theme has completely or almost completely stoped doing that theme.  Syfy hardly does Science Fiction anymore (and hasn't for at least 5 years).  MTV and VH1 don't or hardly ever show music videos.  MTV started a 2nd channel so one could show music vids and the other their crap shows, now both are just bullshit shows and NO music videos at all.  Fraking g4tv/tech tv/whatever the hell used to do technology and video game related shows.  When it first became g4tv there were at least 6 videogame related shows on. Within four or five years that all changed, now it's just X-Play and a bunch of random ass shit.  >:( >:( </Off topic rant>

Worth pointing out that announcing the cancellation of SG:1 at the 200th episode wrap party was pretty low too...

Yeah, that was pretty fucking low, but this is worse.  It's like finding out that you've been fired from your carpool buddy who got a text from your boss about you being fired.

Anyone else geting double deja vu?  Not only is this bringing up the Caprica cancelation, it's reminding me of how I felt when Enterprise was canceled.  I doubt will be seeing any Stargate for a few years.  It will be a freaking miracle if we get the Atlantis or SG-1 movie before the end of 2012.  :(  >:(  :(
“Battle is not a simulation. It’s blood and screams and funerals.” – Capt. Georgiou – Star Trek: Discovery – “The Vulcan Hello”

Online Fiery Little One

• Distinguished Member
  • Live Long and Prosper
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 17, 2010, 09:12:11 PM »
I haven't been holding my breath on any of those since there's been an absolute lack of any new info on what's up wiith them. After this... I wouldn't exactly say I would be surprised if they were shelved.
Open your mind to new possibilities
-Trip(sort of), The Crossing

Offline Hobbes

• Veteran Member
  • Cinnamon! No!
    • View Profile
    • Federation Starship Datalink
« Reply #27 on: December 17, 2010, 09:25:16 PM »
I hate the name "syfy" instead insisting on still calling it Sci-Fi Channel, but the recent anti-sci fi choices in favor of fake reality shows and wrestling.  Well I guess wrestling is also fake reality too, but I meant the Ghost Hunters and spin offs.

It's funny though.  Like it was said before, getting SG-1 really turned Sci-Fi around.  Not that I minded the repeats of old sci-fi shows like Babylon 5, seaQuest DSV, or even Sliders... etc and I actually wish they still aired them.

Then BSG came along Sci-Fi was on top of its game.  In my opinion, and I'm sure I aint the only one... but I still think the SyFy bosses thought, "lets put the shaky cam and gritty real life approach of BSG but with a stargate."

Or possibly SyFy wanted the same success of SG-1 but they changed the formula too much.  It's not that SGU wasn't interesting, it is.  It's just that when I think Stargate I think O'Neill, Jackson, Carter and Teal'c.
"People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people."
Federation Starship Datalink

Offline Razor

• Board Legend
  • All things not of this world
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 17, 2010, 10:49:40 PM »
^^^Yeah but the formula was getting stale thats why they changed it.  If there was a problem with SG-1 and Atlantis it was that they were too safe.  People like to compare SGU to BSG but that was a very superficial resemblance if anything.  I would say SGU owes more to 2001 and 2010 (with bits of both BSG and Lost) than anything else.  Blaming them for trying something different is insane.  

Worth pointing out that announcing the cancellation of SG:1 at the 200th episode wrap party was pretty low too...

See Ive got to disagree with this as well, SG-1 was in its 10th season and it had a spectacular run.  Plus its cancellation wasn't as bad since we knew the DVD movies were coming.  Same with Atlantis, while its run wasn't as long it was ahealthy run and sadly it was getting stale.  SGU was really starting to build a mythology and had a very short run.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2010, 10:55:50 PM by Razor »
“The boat dipped and swayed and sometimes took on water, but it did not sink; the two brothers had waterproofed it well. I do not know where it finally fetched up, if it ever did; perhaps it reached the sea and sails there forever, like a magic boat in a fairytale. All I know is that it was still afloat and still running on the breast of the flood when it passed the incorporated town limits of Derry, Maine, and there it passes out of this tale forever.” ― Stephen King, It"
High priest in the Cult of J

Offline Broken Subspace Scene

• Prolific Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 18, 2010, 07:37:46 AM »
Very true, it was SG-1's time to go (and really, it should have ended after "Lost City"...) but it was still a pretty crummy thing to do.

With the ratings being somewhat stable, I don't know why they ditched SGU, but it must have been underperforming in terms of ad dollars or something.  I think it's partially the fault of the show and the show structure, though: serialized is a very risky business, as the many new serialized shows that have gone down in flames the last four years can attest to.  I think they had to knock one out of the park with "Air", and they didn't, probably didn't gain many new fans, and were left with the same core audience of Stargate fans, minus those (like many on GateWorld) who just bitched about how lame it was and refused to watch.  There's also that frustrating sci-fi stigma and the resultant lack of mainstream coverage.

The more I think about this, the more it really annoys the hell out of me that Atlantis got a five year run (despite becoming overall fairly "meh" after the first two seasons), and this show, with a fresher take and better character development, gets canned after two.

• Prolific Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 18, 2010, 08:05:36 AM »
GateWorld: Six Reasons SGU Was Canceled, from a network point of view.

Offline Jimi James

• So Say We All
  • Administrator
  • Distinguished Member
  • Abandon Ship
    • View Profile
    • The New Haven Chronicles
« Reply #31 on: December 18, 2010, 05:04:05 PM »
Gateworld seems to be down, or at least it is for me.  Anyone else unable to get the site to show?
https://www.patreon.com/JonMichaelMay
Help me make art, by joining me on Patreon. Various subscriptions tiers are in place, allowing you to support my addictive art habit for as little as $1 a month.

Offline Razor

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 18, 2010, 05:06:23 PM »
^^^I havent been able to either.  Did their server crash?
“The boat dipped and swayed and sometimes took on water, but it did not sink; the two brothers had waterproofed it well. I do not know where it finally fetched up, if it ever did; perhaps it reached the sea and sails there forever, like a magic boat in a fairytale. All I know is that it was still afloat and still running on the breast of the flood when it passed the incorporated town limits of Derry, Maine, and there it passes out of this tale forever.” ― Stephen King, It"

• Prolific Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 18, 2010, 05:33:05 PM »
Seems to be working fine for me now.  Maybe they were overwhelmed before.

Offline Jimi James

• So Say We All
  • Administrator
  • Distinguished Member
  • Abandon Ship
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 18, 2010, 07:04:29 PM »
Still not working for me.  Might be a cookie thing, though I don't want to go through the hassle of clearing them out.
Help me make art, by joining me on Patreon. Various subscriptions tiers are in place, allowing you to support my addictive art habit for as little as $1 a month.

Offline Razor

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 19, 2010, 03:07:58 AM »
Its working for me now.

Offline TNC

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 19, 2010, 12:46:55 PM »
Yeah, it didn't work for me for most of yesterday.  Finally started working around 9pm.  Guess their servers were overwhelmed.

I saw a thread about SGU's cancellation on the Star Trek Online fourms of all places.  Some people were so happy that SGU was canceled and hoping for a revival of SGA or SG1 or a new "real" SG series...  Fat chance of that happening, it will be a miracle if we ever see Extinction or Revolution.

More than likely Stargate will go silent for a few years then we'll get a reboot movie that's ten times darker than SGU and with younger versions of O'Neill, Jackson, Carter, and Teal'c that will be a bit hit in theaters but piss of the fanboys.  :P
“Battle is not a simulation. It’s blood and screams and funerals.” – Capt. Georgiou – Star Trek: Discovery – “The Vulcan Hello”

Offline Jedigreedo

• Veteran Member
  • Red Shirt Says Aaggghh
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 19, 2010, 03:51:02 PM »
Fortunately, I don't think Stargate's mainstream enough to warrant a remake, buuut... Emmerich may finally have his chance to make his sequels.

http://www.worstpreviews.com/headline.php?id=15405
« Last Edit: December 19, 2010, 03:53:04 PM by Jedigreedo »
"We came, we saw, we conquered, we woke up!"

Offline Torlek

• Veteran Member
  • Burn it all down and start over.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 20, 2010, 12:50:18 AM »
Some people were so happy that SGU was canceled and hoping for a revival of SGA or SG1 or a new "real" SG series... 
I've seen this too and it's confusing to me. I've never seen a fandom happy that it's source of nerd glee has been removed. The level of orthodoxy they apparently require of their shows is astounding. I wouldn't expect this out of even the most rabid TOS purist.
The battle of modern programming is one waged between the engineers trying to craft a bigger,better idiot-proof program and the universe trying to breed bigger, better idiots.  So far, the universe is winning.

Offline Jimi James

• So Say We All
  • Administrator
  • Distinguished Member
  • Abandon Ship
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 20, 2010, 01:58:19 AM »
I've seen that sentiment as well, unfortunately.  It's that "if I can't have it my way, then no one gets any mentality."  It's childish to say the least and was present with the recent Trek movie as well.  Some people wanted the movie to do poorly so no more would get made, allowing for the return of what they were used to.  It's as if any change from their favorite kind of Trek, or in this case Stargate, upsets their little geek world to the point they're unable to accept anything that doesn't fit in line with their own personal view of what the franchise should be.

Offline Razor

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 20, 2010, 04:12:36 PM »
SGU is turning out to be the "Beast Machines" of Stargate.

Offline Razor

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 20, 2010, 08:24:40 PM »
Not really news about SGU per sei but it is somewhat encouraging.

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=72551

MGM has a significantly improved financial position with secured lenders exchanging approximately $5 billion, including accrued interest and fees, for most of the equity in the company. As part of its exit financing, MGM raised $500 million to fund operations, including production of a new slate of films and television series. JPMorgan arranged MGM exit financing.

Read more: MGM Exits Bankruptcy with $500 Million in Place - ComingSoon.net http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=72551#ixzz18i1vY2Mv

This may be very good news for the DVD movies.  Just a point Stargate is quite important to MGM according to gateworld its actually mentioned in the court documents.

« Last Edit: December 20, 2010, 08:26:57 PM by Razor »

Offline Jimi James

• So Say We All
  • Administrator
  • Distinguished Member
  • Abandon Ship
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 22, 2010, 08:24:03 PM »
I listening to the Gateworld podcast (their most recent episode is devoted to the cancellation and is worth checking out as they get into a lot of what went wrong in terms of the show and the network), but I was reminded that this isn't all bad.... we still have ten episodes left, that will air sometime next year...likely in the spring.  There's a decent chunk time between now and then, on top of the ten weeks in which those episodes will air, unless syfy pulls a Caprica and airs them all in one day.  (speaking of which, word around the net is that the final episodes of Caprica are the best of the whole run.)

The point is, a lot could happen between now and then.  It may end up being that nothing happens, aside from the fact we get to see those last ten episodes, but regardless of what does transpire between now and then; the show isn't entirely dead just yet.

Offline Razor

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 22, 2010, 09:39:05 PM »
^^^Yeah I listened to that myself. Im hopeful that MGM's restructuring will have some sort of affect on this as well.

You mentioned this before Jimi but did SG-1 really have that much effect on Sci Fi's standing as a first run network?

Offline Jimi James

• So Say We All
  • Administrator
  • Distinguished Member
  • Abandon Ship
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 22, 2010, 10:43:16 PM »
It seems so in my opinion, though I don't have any direct proof aside from the clear shift in programing from primarily showing reruns of other shows, to first run scripted series that's happened over the years.  To my knowledge, this started with the acquisition of SG-1.  I may be mistaken, but I don't recall seeing any other original scripted series on Sci-Fi before SG-1.

I think the success of SG-1 proved that the network could run and profit from the production of original scripted series, allowing them to develop a host of other original shows, including Atlantis and Universe. Though there is certainly an argument to be made about the actual success of any of the shows on sci-fi, when compared to other cable networks and the major broadcast networks.  While Universe lasted two season on sci-fi, it likely would have been canceled faster then Firefly on Fox.  The same can likely be said of BSG, though the clout of the sheer amount of critical praise BSG received, carrier it along way despite it's ratings.

Offline TNC

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: December 23, 2010, 12:09:33 PM »
^I'm pretty sure Sliders, Farscape, and The Invisible Man all aired on Sci-Fi before they acquired SG-1.  Then again, Sci-Fi may have had nothing to do with the production of those shows and simply were the only channel that aired them...

Doing a little wiki research... Sliders first aired on Fox in '95, but Sci-Fi picked it up in season 4 and it lasted one more season.  Farscape first aired on an Australian network before Sci-Fi picked it up.  The Invisible Man did originally are on Sci-Fi (though it could have been produced by USA networks, as they owned Sci-Fi at the time).  Pretty sure Farscape was one of the shows Sci-Fi launched with but I'm not entirely sure.

Offline Razor

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 25, 2010, 12:26:08 AM »
Just a slight christmas present.

http://www.gateworld.net/news/2010/12/producers-havent-given-up-on-finishing-sgus-story/

I gotta give it to Brad Wright he's very enthusiastic about the franchise and is willing to go all the way for it.

• Prolific Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 05, 2011, 05:54:00 PM »
Just finished listening to the GateWorld podcast Jimi mentioned earlier (ep. 112), which I'd recommend.

They do bring up the fact that Stargate is considered a key franchise for MGM and likely has some backers--consensus seems to be this is a major step back for the entire franchise, but that it's far from dead, and it probably isn't nearly as badly wounded as Enterprise-era Star Trek was.  Despite what the Tuesday move may signal, Stargate is a key franchise for SyFy, and one of the things they built their business on.  So chances are, some form of Stargate will come back sooner rather than later.

From a marketer's perspective, I can kind of understand why they moved SGU to Tuesdays.  Sanctuary is a more casual-friendly show than either Caprica or SGU, so it makes sense to pair it with a stable ratings platform that brings in a different audience (Smackdown) on Fridays.  SyFy wanted to establish a beachhead of original programming on another night, so it paired two similar series from established, healthy franchises together on Tuesdays.  It obviously didn't work, but in principle, you can see the logic behind it and the reasons why it could have worked.

In terms of the programming itself, I think we've seen a number of times since Lost, BSG, etc. that serialized is VERY risky, and a lot of attempts have fallen flat or limped along badly (ex. The Event, most recently).  As the podcast points out, SGU may have kind of missed the boat with this in terms of the audience's appetite for this type of programming.  I haven't watched Season 1 of BSG in far too long, but if my memory serves correctly, it started off with some pretty kickass stuff ("33", etc.) and had some interesting survival episodes, with some really cool stuff to interest casual viewers (the unique space battles, fantastic Six/Baltar, etc.).  SGU started off 'okay', and never hit a stride until around "Time"/near the mid-point of the season.  It needed to start off with a bang, and it didn't. 

The podcast also points out an interesting factor for why the series might not have resonated as much with people in general and for SG1/SG:A fans - they assert that Trek has always been about "wagon train to the stars", but Stargate was really about esprit du corps and that really small, tight-knit group, whether it's SG1 or the Atlantis core team.  SGU tried to portray people as more 'real', and sew them together more naturally and organically, but it still hasn't fully happened yet.  It doesn't have the defining 'best buddies on crazyass adventure' feel that is different than other franchises.