Author Topic: Docking ports  (Read 5357 times)

Offline BorgMan

• Global Moderator
  • Artistic Assimilator
    • View Profile
    • Visionm.nl
Docking ports
« on: January 16, 2011, 10:03:52 AM »
So... There I am, minding my own modelling business, just making a docking port when it dawned to me that up until now, we've never seen a federation ship use an umblical of it's own. It's almost always the visiting ship or a starbase that connects to the ship in question. The only time we saw two Starfleet ships connecting was E, and even there it was only seen from afar without actually showing us how the two ships connected. Is there an explenation for this, and how do I solve it in my model?
*Doorbell Sound*

"Hi, I am Elder 14 of 37 and this is my traveling companion Sister 29 of 128. We represent the Borg..."
"Oh Roddenbery, you guys again? Look, it's 8 in the morning and I don't have time for you OK? I told you last week..."
"But... Assimilation... Holopamflet!"
"Yeah right, you can leave it here but I'll throw it on the rest of the bunch I got from your other 'brothers' and 'sisters'. Now scram before I call the 8472 Squad!"

Offline Shik

• There's a million things I haven't done
    • View Profile
Re: Docking ports
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2011, 12:48:58 PM »
A ship, no. A shuttle, yes. Remember when Worf & Picard clamped onto Data's scout in Insurrection?

Offline Edymnion

• Veteran Member
  • Stuck in the 80's
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2011, 06:14:22 PM »
Well, it makes sense, really.

An umbilical is a physical connection intended to supply the smaller of the two with power, air, and other essentials so it doesn't have to draw upon it's own internal resources.

In a starbase, this means the base is transferring power and supplies to the starship.  However, with ship to ship, anything that would be small enough to warrent this would be a shuttle, and in that case you would bring it on board in your shuttle bay.  Shuttlebays are small enough that you can pressurize the entire area and hook up power cables as needed.  A starbase is either far too large for that, or is just a glorified scaffold in the vacuum of space, so it needs the umbilical to get the same effect.

Between two ships of the same size, there wouldn't really be much use for one.

I would actually be surprised if large ships like a Galaxy class even *HAD* umbilicals of their own.

Offline The Unbound

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2011, 10:39:11 AM »
Of course, starships have also demonstrated the ability to form a connection to supply power to another craft without establishing a physical connection (see TNG:The Next Phase).

As for the ability to connect docking port-to-docking port, this, I think, has only ever really been relevant in Enterprise. Later ages always just use the transporter, or shuttles. In fact, looking at the side view of the Galaxy class, I can only see two docking ports: one on the neck and one (confusingly) below the nacelle. This leads me to suspect that the Galaxy wasn't designed for docking with other ships, and so you don't have to worry about that either.
Steady on.

Offline Data007

• Eminent Member
  • What? You don't have voices in your head?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2011, 03:04:20 AM »
From what I understand, the docking port near the nacelle is for work pods transferring personnel into the nacelle space.
"Titans are the God-Machines of the Adeptus Mechanicus. Imagine a city. Now imagine that city is angry at you, can walk, and has continent leveling weapons aimed at you. And is inhabited by more things that hate you. You have a rough idea of a Titan."

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied chains us all irrevocably." Judge Aaron Satie

New Haven Chronicles

Offline Hobbes

• Veteran Member
  • Cinnamon! No!
    • View Profile
    • Federation Starship Datalink
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2011, 11:45:43 AM »
Looking at a pic of the E-D at Starbase 74 it seems like there's only one umbilical connecting from the base to the ship.  Seems odd for something the size of a Galaxy-class starship.  You'd think there would be a couple conduits or something that connect to the ship to transfer power ... energy whatever.
"People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people."
Federation Starship Datalink

Offline Shik

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2011, 02:49:56 PM »
Might be some on the spine. I seem to recall several consumables resupply ports along there.

Offline Jimi James

• So Say We All
  • Administrator
  • Distinguished Member
  • Abandon Ship
    • View Profile
    • The New Haven Chronicles
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2011, 05:00:50 PM »
I seem to recall there being some kind of connecting point on the island near the bridge, though I don't recall if it was a docking port/airlock or it was a some sort of umbilical support.  In this picture, it's the oval on each side of the larger island the supports the bridge deck.  http://www.cygnus-x1.net/links/lcars/blueprints/sexton/galaxy-class.jpg

To my knowledge, we've never seen anything connected there, but I recall seeing them labeled in one schematic or another.  I would imagine that there are others as well, we've just not seen them.  Like Hobbes said, for a ship the size of the Galaxy, it seems unlikely that the one umbilical would serve as the transfer point for everything, particularly things that might require more careful handling then just people; like fuel.
https://www.patreon.com/JonMichaelMay
Help me make art, by joining me on Patreon. Various subscriptions tiers are in place, allowing you to support my addictive art habit for as little as $1 a month.

Offline Shik

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2011, 08:08:19 PM »
Those were, as I recall, intended to be turbolift passthroughs. The idea would be that a starbase could extend a connector that would allow someone to ride a turbolift from the ship directly into the station's network & back.

Offline Hobbes

• Veteran Member
  • Cinnamon! No!
    • View Profile
    • Federation Starship Datalink
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2011, 08:14:51 PM »
With over a thousand people looking to get off the ship and all the starbase staff boarding the ship to do repairs, maintenance, upgrades, etc... you'd probably want four brows, two for offloading and two for onloading.  Then you'd need refueling conduits for the matter/antimatter containment system, weapons reload...carrying photon torpedoes on the same brow...umbilical as people doesn't seem safe.
"People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people."
Federation Starship Datalink

Offline The Unbound

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2011, 08:09:05 AM »
Well, I would imagine the gangway is really just for moving people and easily pipable stuff (water, deuterium, maybe). The passageway, and the hatch, seem much too small to move any sort of bulk cargo through efficiently. Probably, bulky and/or hazardous material is just tractored from one of the starbase's cargo bays to one of the ship's.
Steady on.

Offline Juvat

• Prolific Member
  • USAF Weapons Instructor
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2011, 05:00:01 PM »
I'll have to go dig out my TNG tech manual, but I seem to recall that those ovals on top of the saucer (which incidentally carry through to the bottom of the saucer) are intended to be zero-G pass through for cargo bays that reside on multiple decks. 
"In God We Trust"