Author Topic: Ray shielding  (Read 3386 times)

Offline Oztrekkie

• View Profile
    • Life, The Universe, And Everything
Ray shielding
« on: February 01, 2011, 01:10:14 PM »
This is one thing that has bugged me ever since I saw Revenge of the Sith. Remember that part where Obi-Wan and Luke are running down the corridor in the Invisible Hand, and Grievous says "Activate Ray Shields!"

Wait a minute! I thoght that in the whole Star Wars canon, there were two kinds of shields. Ray shielding, and Particle shielding. (let's call them RS and PS for brevity's sake)
RS blocks energy attacks, like lasers, turbolasers, and so forth. PS protects against physical attacks, like torpedos and high energy impacts.

Now if the Jedi (i.e. Obi-Wan and Luke) had walked through those shields, Wookiepedia says the energy would have disintegrated them.
But...
If we take a look at the Gungan shields used during the Battle of Naboo, we see that they repel both the battle droid's and the repulsor tank's laser fire. So we know that they are at least RS.
General OOM-9 does not fire the tank's bunker-buster shells at the shields, probably because each tank has to go back to it's landing ship to re-stock. But from the way the battle droids walked throught the shield barrier, we can guess that they are also PS. If the gungan shields were combined RS and PS, like most ships used for battle, then why did'nt they short out the battle droids, like the RS would have done to Obi - Wan and Luke?

This appears to be a flaw in the Star Wars canon, but I may be wrong. Who knows, I'm just a trekkie.

(links to relavent info)
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Battle_of_Grassy_Plains

"bortaS bIr jablu'DI', reH QaQqu' nay' "
"Revenge is a dish best served cold"

Offline Data007

• Eminent Member
  • What? You don't have voices in your head?
    • View Profile
Re: Ray shielding
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2011, 11:53:11 PM »
Maybe it was just a matter of the sheer power of that particular trap. It could be that they were repurposed external shield emitters.
"Titans are the God-Machines of the Adeptus Mechanicus. Imagine a city. Now imagine that city is angry at you, can walk, and has continent leveling weapons aimed at you. And is inhabited by more things that hate you. You have a rough idea of a Titan."

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied chains us all irrevocably." Judge Aaron Satie

New Haven Chronicles

Offline slash78

• Prolific Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2011, 06:48:37 PM »
Oz, you forget, RotS was written by George Lucas.  And George Lucas doesn't go back and look at what is 'canon' and what isn't. 

And it was Anikin, not Luke with Kenobi on the Invisible Hand.

Offline Oztrekkie

• View Profile
    • Life, The Universe, And Everything
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2011, 01:03:57 PM »
Yeah, sorry, I realized that 3 days later
"bortaS bIr jablu'DI', reH QaQqu' nay' "
"Revenge is a dish best served cold"