Author Topic: $$$ "Twin Destinies" SGU $$$  (Read 3149 times)

Offline Razor

• Board Legend
  • All things not of this world
    • View Profile
$$$ "Twin Destinies" SGU $$$
« on: March 14, 2011, 09:21:41 PM »
"The Destiny of all things" - The Ancients

Wow what an episode.  The stuff with the duplicate Rush was great.  It was also cool to see Young stand with him on the issue of the mission. Okay so now they have 2 fully functional shuttles plus some spare parts.  I'll post some more later when I compose my thoughts.

McKay gets a humurous mention for the win!!!!

“The boat dipped and swayed and sometimes took on water, but it did not sink; the two brothers had waterproofed it well. I do not know where it finally fetched up, if it ever did; perhaps it reached the sea and sails there forever, like a magic boat in a fairytale. All I know is that it was still afloat and still running on the breast of the flood when it passed the incorporated town limits of Derry, Maine, and there it passes out of this tale forever.” ― Stephen King, It"
High priest in the Cult of J

Offline TNC

• Board Legend
  • Stuck in the middle of nowhere...
    • View Profile
Re: $$$ "Twin Destinies" SGU $$$
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2011, 09:49:37 PM »
Temporal antics FTW!  I had a feeling they would mention McKay after mentioning Carter and Jackson.  Was that Dr. Lee that was using Eli to go over the math?  I just wonder if the other crew was killed or just sent back in time or something.  Also kinda interesting who chose to stay with Rush and Young in the other timeline (Greer, Scott, Chloe (proably because Scott was staying), James, Eli, Volker, Varro (the Lucian Alliance guy), and T.J.).  I doubt it but I wonder if Rush did do something to the gate during the dial back attempt.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2011, 09:51:10 PM by TNC »
“Battle is not a simulation. It’s blood and screams and funerals.” – Capt. Georgiou – Star Trek: Discovery – “The Vulcan Hello”

Offline Razor

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2011, 10:47:17 PM »
^^^I doubt it.  He seemed genuinly disturbed by the fact that those people were lost. 
“The boat dipped and swayed and sometimes took on water, but it did not sink; the two brothers had waterproofed it well. I do not know where it finally fetched up, if it ever did; perhaps it reached the sea and sails there forever, like a magic boat in a fairytale. All I know is that it was still afloat and still running on the breast of the flood when it passed the incorporated town limits of Derry, Maine, and there it passes out of this tale forever.” ― Stephen King, It"

Offline Jimi James

• So Say We All
  • Administrator
  • Distinguished Member
  • Abandon Ship
    • View Profile
    • The New Haven Chronicles
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2011, 11:23:10 PM »
Awesome episode in terms of misdirection.  They really built up the conflict of arguing over staying on Destiny versus going home to the point it seemed like that was going to be the whole episode and then the whole time travel thread sweeps in and it's suddenly much more.  It was a very well handled twist.

There was some great moments of banter between the various characters and like I said last time, the small quips from Rush, Volker, and Brody really bring the funny.  It's a different kind of humor then SG1 and SGA had, but I like it quite a bit.

I think the rest of the duplicate crew were likely killed, or even if sent back in time I wouldn't expect to see them again.  With duplicate Rush killing original Tellford and duplicate Tellford being alive and well, it works out that even though people died, we didn't actually lose anyone.  So bringing the rest of the crew back doesn't really serve any purpose other then to cause problems. 

It's sort of like that episode of Voyager when whatever anomaly they flew through created a copy of the ship.  On ship A Kim had been killed, though when ship B self destructs to take out some attacking Vidians, the Kim from ship B goes over to ship A so everything is back to normal in the end.

For a little while, I actually thought they would send some of the crew home, since most of the people who chose to stay were primarily main characters; getting rid of the background extras to focus more on a core group of characters. 

And what do we make of Duplicate Rush sitting in the chair?
https://www.patreon.com/JonMichaelMay
Help me make art, by joining me on Patreon. Various subscriptions tiers are in place, allowing you to support my addictive art habit for as little as $1 a month.

Offline TNC

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2011, 06:50:47 PM »
It's sort of like that episode of Voyager when whatever anomaly they flew through created a copy of the ship.  On ship A Kim had been killed, though when ship B self destructs to take out some attacking Vidians, the Kim from ship B goes over to ship A so everything is back to normal in the end.

Yeah, even more so since Kim B brought Naomi Wildman B over to Voyager A, at least in the since that two people died and were brought back by duplicates.

And what do we make of Duplicate Rush sitting in the chair?

Maybe he was trying to use it to ascend, that is assuming he thinks that's what happened to Franklin.

^^^I doubt it.  He seemed genuinly disturbed by the fact that those people were lost. 

I wouldn't have thought Duplicate Rush would have done anything to the gate during the dial attempt if Rush had not asked him if he did something.  His being disturbed could have been a reaction to the idea that he screwed up his gate sabotage this time and got everybody killed (kinda the way his stopping the ship that got Riley killed).  Although I'd like to believe that Rush would have learned from that and has changed a little and would not try something like that to get Telford off the ship.  :-\

Anyway...  I guess even though he's no longer brainwashed Telford is still a bit of a jerk for suggesting removing the people who wanted to stay by force.
“Battle is not a simulation. It’s blood and screams and funerals.” – Capt. Georgiou – Star Trek: Discovery – “The Vulcan Hello”

Offline Razor

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2011, 02:50:04 PM »
Speaking of McKay anyone else think that when he was staring at Lt James he was actually thinking "boy she looks just like one of Lucious Lavin's wife"

Offline Broken Subspace Scene

• Prolific Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2011, 07:15:00 PM »
Excellent episode, and involving enough to make you forget that whole 'series being canceled' for a little while.  I really liked how they took elements of the stock TV sci-fi story, but avoided pushing the reset button, with the Destiny crew getting the supplies and the alternate Telford alive.

Again, isn't the ascension stuff bunk, since the Ancients hadn't ascended by that time?  I thought it was probably just to learn what he could learn, sort of.

So are we suspecting Telford is secretly evil again?  Like he knew he would be the only one to get through?  Could the Ursini have screwed him up?

Offline Fiery Little One

• Distinguished Member
  • Live Long and Prosper
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2011, 08:20:11 PM »
Speaking of McKay anyone else think that when he was staring at Lt James he was actually thinking "boy she looks just like one of Lucious Lavin's wife"

That's entirely possible.

Excellent episode, and involving enough to make you forget that whole 'series being canceled' for a little while.  I really liked how they took elements of the stock TV sci-fi story, but avoided pushing the reset button, with the Destiny crew getting the supplies and the alternate Telford alive.

Again, isn't the ascension stuff bunk, since the Ancients hadn't ascended by that time?  I thought it was probably just to learn what he could learn, sort of.

So are we suspecting Telford is secretly evil again?  Like he knew he would be the only one to get through?  Could the Ursini have screwed him up?

It was nice to forget that little detail, for a little while at least. That was an unusual take on how to handle to double situation. 50/50, Telford is still a jerk either way you look at it. I mean the one on Destiny deliberately pushed the other Rush's buttons, his mistake was standing too close to that piece of equipment they wanted to salvage.
Open your mind to new possibilities
-Trip(sort of), The Crossing

Offline TNC

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2011, 11:46:03 PM »

I don't know, he could have just been trying to learn as much as possible before the ship went down.  Although I guess that begs the question as to what the hell happened to Franklin?  It could be that the ship just dumps so much info into your head that you ascend even if that wasn't the original intention, maybe?  Perhaps I'm just grasping at straws.  :-\

I suppose it's possible that the Ursini's pods screwed him up (intentionally or unintentionally) but I suspect he was always a bit of a jerk and that the brainwashing made it worse.