Author Topic: $$$SGU "Alliances" Review and Discussion Thread (spoilers)$$$  (Read 3574 times)

Offline TNC

• Board Legend
  • Stuck in the middle of nowhere...
    • View Profile
Decent enough episode.  I had a feeling the airman was a Lucian Alliance member for some reason.  I wonder if this cloaked cargo ship run on Homeworld Command was the attack that's been being mentioned all this time or just the lead-up to something much bigger.

Huh apparently the guy who played Dr. Andrew Covel is the same guy who played Lt. Feretti in the Stargate movie.
“Battle is not a simulation. It’s blood and screams and funerals.” – Capt. Georgiou – Star Trek: Discovery – “The Vulcan Hello”

Offline Jimi James

• So Say We All
  • Administrator
  • Distinguished Member
  • Abandon Ship
    • View Profile
    • The New Haven Chronicles
Re: $$$SGU "Alliances" Review and Discussion Thread (spoilers)$$$
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2011, 10:29:25 AM »
I recognized the actor, (from Third rock From the Sun) but forgot that he was in the SG movie.

I loved the scene with Volker and Brody when Covel goes to see Eli.  "We work here to."

Anyone else think that maybe Greer's family, his mother at least, has passed away.  That's the feeling I sort of got from his exchange with Wray at the end.

I thought this was a good use of the stones and shows one of the more unique story possibilities that can be had through their use.  We get a story where our characters are in peril and have to face some grave challenge, but at the same time even if they don't live make it, they still live in the end.  It's a bit of a copout I suppose, but it's interesting none the less.
https://www.patreon.com/JonMichaelMay
Help me make art, by joining me on Patreon. Various subscriptions tiers are in place, allowing you to support my addictive art habit for as little as $1 a month.

Offline TNC

• Board Legend
  • Stuck in the middle of nowhere...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2011, 09:41:52 PM »
I recognized the actor but oddly enough it wasn't from the Stargate movie or the one CSI episode he was in.  I don't think I've seen any of the other stuff he's been in (aside from voice work).  :-\

I liked the "We work here too." quote as well.

I'm pretty sure Greer's father was hospitalized at one point (the episode where he was stranded on that planet and was having flashbacks)...  Yeah, according to the Stargate Wiki, Greer's dad died from a brain infection sometime before he was assigned to Icarus Base.  So at the very least his father is dead.
“Battle is not a simulation. It’s blood and screams and funerals.” – Capt. Georgiou – Star Trek: Discovery – “The Vulcan Hello”

Offline Razor

• Board Legend
  • All things not of this world
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2011, 12:54:09 AM »
Another good episode...seriously this is turning into one the best seasons of stargate yet.

-Its nice to see that the "crew" is starting to rally around Destiny as opposed to seeing her as a tomb.  The Character stuff with Greer and Camille was awesome as well. 
-Reading that LA guy must have brought Wray up a notch with Greer some.
-Bond once compared SGU to DS9 in its tone and difference and it would seem SGU is taking after DS9 in its fleshing out of minor characters as well. 
-Brody and Volker not withstanding Varro is turning out to be a very fascinating character.
-Young seems to be annoyed with TJ over her interactions with Varro.
-Covel brings up an interesting point about what would happen if certain less than savory characters found out about the signal.

Now in all seriousness this incident aside what does the Lucian Alliance hope to accomplish with an attack on Earth.   The Tauri have so far...

-Been instrumental in defeating both the Gou'ld and Replicators
-Stopped the Ori crusade
-Destroyed a large Gou'ld fleet in orbit.
-Destroyed a superhive in orbit (I get the distinct impression that word might have gotten around the Milky Way about the hive ship.
-Have the legacy of both the Asgaurd and the Ancients.

Hell if Atlantis itself is still on Earth at this point that would make an attack near suicidal.
“The boat dipped and swayed and sometimes took on water, but it did not sink; the two brothers had waterproofed it well. I do not know where it finally fetched up, if it ever did; perhaps it reached the sea and sails there forever, like a magic boat in a fairytale. All I know is that it was still afloat and still running on the breast of the flood when it passed the incorporated town limits of Derry, Maine, and there it passes out of this tale forever.” ― Stephen King, It"
High priest in the Cult of J

Offline Jimi James

• So Say We All
  • Administrator
  • Distinguished Member
  • Abandon Ship
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2011, 02:16:43 AM »
It could be that the Alliance has concluded an all out attack will fail given, as you pointed out Razor; Earth's ability to take down everyone they've come up against.  So their only option at this point is try more surgical strikes against high value targets.  Their end game however, aside from just hurting Earth, remains to be seen.  In the end, maybe all they want is to hurt Earth and the Stargate program in hopes of forcing them to back off and ultimately allowing the Alliance room to operate more freely.

On another note, all the talk of the fallout from the signal and what various people would make of it, made me think they're (the writers) trying to find a way to bring the Stargate program out into the public.  A signal originating from before the creation of the universe, which many would clearly see as having religious implications, and would likely overshadow the Stargate, might just be the way to do it.

I'll be interested in seeing, once the crew of Destiny reestablish contact with Earth, how Homeworld Command is covering up the attack, or rather what lie they've come up with this time.  I doubt the old, 'meteor shower' story is going to cut it this time.
Help me make art, by joining me on Patreon. Various subscriptions tiers are in place, allowing you to support my addictive art habit for as little as $1 a month.

Offline Razor

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2011, 04:48:25 AM »
It'd be interesting seeing the current political climate in the Milky way at this point as well.  We know that Earth has become a major player in the Milky Way.  Plus it has a nice little base of allies The Tokra, The Free Jaffa, Langara, Hebridan.

So their only option at this point is try more surgical strikes against high value targets.  Their end game however, aside from just hurting Earth, remains to be seen.  In the end, maybe all they want is to hurt Earth and the Stargate program in hopes of forcing them to back off and ultimately allowing the Alliance room to operate more freely.

I was thinking that myself.  They also seem to be interested in aquiring ancient technology and knowledge as well.  Or at least beating us to the punch.
“The boat dipped and swayed and sometimes took on water, but it did not sink; the two brothers had waterproofed it well. I do not know where it finally fetched up, if it ever did; perhaps it reached the sea and sails there forever, like a magic boat in a fairytale. All I know is that it was still afloat and still running on the breast of the flood when it passed the incorporated town limits of Derry, Maine, and there it passes out of this tale forever.” ― Stephen King, It"

Offline Jedigreedo

• Veteran Member
  • Red Shirt Says Aaggghh
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2011, 09:25:30 PM »
This was the weakest episode of season 2 so far for me.  The stuff on Destiny was okay, but nearly everything that happened on Earth I couldn't stand.  The only good part about it was the realization that the bodies they had taken over would die from the exposure, otherwise the Earth plot seemed like a simple fanfic written by someone whose only Stargate knowledge was contained to the first season of SGU.  Maybe I'm still too biased against the use of the Lucian Alliance, though.  They still seem like a vastly incompetent villain and can't find it believable they were able to do anything this threatening.
"We came, we saw, we conquered, we woke up!"

Offline Broken Subspace Scene

• Prolific Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2011, 07:26:25 PM »
They still seem like a vastly incompetent villain and can't find it believable they were able to do anything this threatening.

Yeah, that's been a problem for me too. On SGU they actual Lucian characters have been good, but the background hasn't really made sense. They seemed to be presented much more as criminals in SG:1 but now we're supposed to be afraid of them taking over the Earth or whatever. Where they get a industrial base/the ability to pimp out Ha'taks like seem in "Air", etc., has never really been properly explained.  It seemed like, based on SG:1, most of the Milky Way was either very advanced or very primitive and under the thumb of the Goa'uld...it feels like the Lucians got inserted into SGU as the big bad by default, since most of the SG:1 enemies are gone and they want a grittier, more realistic tone, but it doesn't quite work.

By the same token, homeworld defense in the Atlantis finale was inexplicably absolutely pathetic (granted, two ships taken out before the Hive arrived in system): 12 measly F-302's, no use of conventional fighters to protect a key facility, and the chair gets blown up by a few dozen darts, although only two actually hit.

Offline Razor

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2011, 07:58:29 PM »
^^^I believe it was stated in an episode of SG-1 that much of the shipyards and production bases left behind by the Gou'ld were taken over by the human slaves.  The Lucian Alliance having hold over them isn't that far fetched.

Offline Jon

• Prolific Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2011, 10:03:33 PM »
The only real couple possibilities that the Lucian Alliance would be actual threats are:
1) Fleet and soldier numbers
2) Stealth attacks/Insurgents

1) is very much a possibility. Think aback to WWII when there were thousands of US Sherman tanks vs. the hundreds, borderline thousand Nazi German Panzer and Tiger tanks. The Sherman tank forces came out on top because of their numbers.

2) Also a possibility. They used a cloaked cargo ship and got IN TO Homeworld Command (the impact might have been an accident but the fact that they got in to begin with, and from the inside) There are insurgents and terrorist operatives undercover and this is what we have seen to be successful so far.

Offline Jimi James

• So Say We All
  • Administrator
  • Distinguished Member
  • Abandon Ship
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2011, 10:23:32 PM »
An interesting point was made on the Gateworld podcast.  Where were Earth's ships and why were Kamil and Greer not beamed out of the building?  The fact that the cargo ship was likely detected and shot down (albeit not very successfully) which led to the failed plan of simply walking away, but that doesn't explain why they weren't beamed away.  Maybe the radiation prevented beaming, but why didn't they at least ask to be beamed away.  They never even brought it up.

On top of that, the larger implications regarding events on Earth are all sort of downplayed.  We never see any Earth ships, we never get direct confirmation at least visually or verbally that the building which is attacked is the Pentagon; which of course it is because that's where the Stones are, but its strange they're trying to be so vague given the Lucian Alliance is attacking such an important strategic target.  It'd be like attacking Atlantis but they keep calling it the city, and never show the outside of it other then some close shots of various characters standing on one of those balcony's on the main tower.  Yeah we know where they are, but it sort of throws things off a bit that they're not being more specific. 

And while I can understand that the actors might not have been available, or production costs might have forced them to tone things down some, it would have made sense to see someone in command over Telford, like General O'Neill or Colonel Carter.  At the very least, they could have mentioned some of these points and come up with some sort of excuse explaining their absence.  Lines of dialog don't cost money, at least not as much as showing the things you're talking about.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2011, 10:48:19 PM by Jimi James »

Offline Razor

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2011, 11:03:31 PM »
^^^I was wondering that myself.  The radiation from the bomb may have prevented them from beaming Camille and Greer out. 

Not to distract from your point Jimi but would the Lucian Alliance be aware that Atlantis is on Earth...would they even be aware of its existence.  With the exception of rumors of a lost city of the ancients I dont think there were widespread legends of Atlantis on other planets.