Author Topic: $$$SGU Hope$$$$  (Read 2816 times)

Offline Razor

• Board Legend
  • All things not of this world
    • View Profile
$$$SGU Hope$$$$
« on: March 28, 2011, 10:38:01 PM »
Holy shit!!  I know I sound like a gusher at this point but good lord this is the best episode yet.  So Ginn and Amanda Perry are now downloaded into Destiny itself.  I'll post more later as I need to let this sink in some but good golly miss molly.
“The boat dipped and swayed and sometimes took on water, but it did not sink; the two brothers had waterproofed it well. I do not know where it finally fetched up, if it ever did; perhaps it reached the sea and sails there forever, like a magic boat in a fairytale. All I know is that it was still afloat and still running on the breast of the flood when it passed the incorporated town limits of Derry, Maine, and there it passes out of this tale forever.” ― Stephen King, It"
High priest in the Cult of J

Offline Jimi James

• So Say We All
  • Administrator
  • Distinguished Member
  • Abandon Ship
    • View Profile
    • The New Haven Chronicles
Re: $$$SGU Hope$$$$
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2011, 11:03:23 PM »
So for me this pretty much closes the door on the issue of Rush seeing the doctor who sat in the chair first....who's name escapes me at the moment.  Still not sure how to explain how he was seeing his wife, aside from just being so severely stressed he was hallucinating, however given what's happened now I wouldn't rule out Destiny projecting his wife purely under its own power without a direct link.  However I get the impression there is some other kind of link between the ship and Rush.  At the very least, Rush believes he's linked with the ship in some way.

While this episode might not be as exciting as some of the others, these episodes are full of character development and this was no exception. 

Anyone else spot the familiar face from BSG?  The second donor match, was the same actor that played Laird, the Pegasus deck chief.

This was an interesting twist on the classic alien inhabiting the body of a main character story.  I first felt they were reaching a bit trying to explain what was going on with the stones, but getting away from the how or why of it and how it was effecting the various characters definitely helped I think.

And at the end, we get conformation from Telford that the bomb was successfully disarmed.  I didn't think of it before, but the last episode also served the purpose (and possible need on many levels) of getting Telford back to Earth so he's no longer hanging around the ship getting in the way.  Plus they don't have to keep Lou Diamond Phillips around for every episode, which would have run up the bill a bit.  Not that it matters as much now.
https://www.patreon.com/JonMichaelMay
Help me make art, by joining me on Patreon. Various subscriptions tiers are in place, allowing you to support my addictive art habit for as little as $1 a month.

Offline Razor

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2011, 12:56:10 AM »
^^^Yeah Laird has been in a couple of episodes. 

http://stargate.wikia.com/wiki/Morrison_(Destiny)

“The boat dipped and swayed and sometimes took on water, but it did not sink; the two brothers had waterproofed it well. I do not know where it finally fetched up, if it ever did; perhaps it reached the sea and sails there forever, like a magic boat in a fairytale. All I know is that it was still afloat and still running on the breast of the flood when it passed the incorporated town limits of Derry, Maine, and there it passes out of this tale forever.” ― Stephen King, It"

Offline Jedigreedo

• Veteran Member
  • Red Shirt Says Aaggghh
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2011, 02:03:15 PM »
That was a much better episode than the previous one, back to season 2's superior quality.  I was really glad they tossed a reference to previous Stargate canon in there considering the multiple people in 1 body issue isn't unexpected for this universe.

Although I have to say between the various medical procedures and the music hi-jinks, I found this to be both the grossest and weirdest SGU so far.
"We came, we saw, we conquered, we woke up!"

Offline TNC

• Board Legend
  • Stuck in the middle of nowhere...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2011, 02:08:59 PM »
Three main character's romantic interests in one person's body... "awkward" just doesn't cover it (especially given the crush Eli used to have on Chloe).   Pretty good episode with plenty of funny moments despite the grave situation with Volker.  So Franklin's (the first guy to use the chair) consciousness was downloaded into the ship, that begs the question as to what happened to his body.  And as for getting new bodies for Ginn or Amanda, where are they going to get new bodies from?  I suppose they could use Asgard cloning technology but they'd need DNA samples I would assume (though that might not be to hard to find I guess).

Also one completely random thought, I wonder if Destiny has some kind of laundry system on board.
“Battle is not a simulation. It’s blood and screams and funerals.” – Capt. Georgiou – Star Trek: Discovery – “The Vulcan Hello”

Offline Razor

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2011, 08:12:40 PM »
By the way the scene with Greer and Volker in the dome room....easily the most beautiful scene this season.

Offline Fiery Little One

• Distinguished Member
  • Live Long and Prosper
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2011, 07:01:17 PM »
This one was more like what I was expecting from the start, serious when they need to be with a healthy dose of funny to balance things out. I actually said 'oh wow,' twice when they were in the dome room. Hmmm.... Now they have to deal with the problem of what to do with Perry and Ginn.
Open your mind to new possibilities
-Trip(sort of), The Crossing

Offline Broken Subspace Scene

• Prolific Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2011, 08:08:38 AM »
The stones have a pretty large cache for Temporary Internet Files...

I really enjoyed this episode - as everyone said, it really fleshed out some of the characters and returned to form.  I agree with most of what everyone already said, but two other points:

- The Eli/Rush chess match seemed to do more to affirm that the 'kinder, gentler' Rush exists, and shows he cares about Eli in some form other than a subordinate.  I like how they don't use Rush as just a straight-up father figure or science mentor - it's a bit more indistinct and realistic
- What really strikes me about SGU compared to the other SG series is the richness of the supporting cast and the sense of reality.  The banter in the infirmary--particularly the 'erectile disfunction' scene--was really well done and felt so, so much less phony than when we've seen the Atlantis cast socialize.  I did cringe at the "Numa Numa" part, though.

Offline Jimi James

• So Say We All
  • Administrator
  • Distinguished Member
  • Abandon Ship
    • View Profile
    • The New Haven Chronicles
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2011, 08:34:35 AM »
I totally agree with you about the strength of the supporting cast.  It reminds me a lot of DS9, how the recurring supporting players were so well developed that at times they ended up outshining the main cast and were almost always so well developed that you could devote entire episodes to them without the main cast ever showing up.  In this case, with the exception of Rush and Eli, I think Greer, Volker, and Brody really often end up stealing the spotlight and given the opportunity, they could easily carry an episode on their own.

I also agree with you about the difference between SGU and Atlantis.  SGU feel like it's a far more mature series, not in a graphic violence or sexual sense, but simply taking itself far more seriously then Atlantis did.  And I think that's one of the main things that divides Stargate fans, for better and for worse.  A lot of fans wanted another like SG-1 or Atlantis, that wasn't as serious and could make fun of itself at times.  And SGU simply isn't like that. 
https://www.patreon.com/JonMichaelMay
Help me make art, by joining me on Patreon. Various subscriptions tiers are in place, allowing you to support my addictive art habit for as little as $1 a month.

Offline Razor

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2011, 08:54:45 PM »
- The Eli/Rush chess match seemed to do more to affirm that the 'kinder, gentler' Rush exists, and shows he cares about Eli in some form other than a subordinate.  I like how they don't use Rush as just a straight-up father figure or science mentor - it's a bit more indistinct and realistic.

I enjoyed that scene as well.