Author Topic: $$$SGU "Common Descent" Review and Discussion Thread (spoilers)$$$  (Read 2452 times)

Offline Jimi James

• So Say We All
  • Administrator
  • Distinguished Member
  • Abandon Ship
    • View Profile
    • The New Haven Chronicles
Watching it now...
https://www.patreon.com/JonMichaelMay
Help me make art, by joining me on Patreon. Various subscriptions tiers are in place, allowing you to support my addictive art habit for as little as $1 a month.

Offline Fiery Little One

• Distinguished Member
  • Live Long and Prosper
    • View Profile
Re: $$$SGU "Common Descent" Review and Discussion Thread (spoilers)$$$
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2011, 08:04:34 PM »
That was interesting, didn't expect to see the drones again, though.
Open your mind to new possibilities
-Trip(sort of), The Crossing

Offline Razor

• Board Legend
  • All things not of this world
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2011, 09:46:39 PM »
Not a bad episode.  Though the recent news made it rather bittersweet.
“The boat dipped and swayed and sometimes took on water, but it did not sink; the two brothers had waterproofed it well. I do not know where it finally fetched up, if it ever did; perhaps it reached the sea and sails there forever, like a magic boat in a fairytale. All I know is that it was still afloat and still running on the breast of the flood when it passed the incorporated town limits of Derry, Maine, and there it passes out of this tale forever.” ― Stephen King, It"
High priest in the Cult of J

Offline Jimi James

• So Say We All
  • Administrator
  • Distinguished Member
  • Abandon Ship
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2011, 10:07:14 PM »
This was a lot like the DS9 episode Children of Time, though I guess with something like 600 episodes of Trek, it's hard to be completely original all the time.

A good episode overall, but a couple points stood out.

Could Scott have really shot down a drone with his G36?  That seemed like a bit of a stretch.  And the older gates must be pretty fragile, if the drone was able to take it out.  Seems strange seeing as how we've seen more modern gates survive large nuclear blasts and even almost direct impacts from asteroids.

I wonder if any of the descendants will stick around to help fill out the crew....though I guess it doesn't matter now either way.

This really sucks.  At least with the lingering hope that there might be some continuation of the story in some form, there was a reason to watch other then just to see how it ends.  But now that we know this is it, it makes these last four episodes....not really pointless, but it takes the excitement out of watching them.
Help me make art, by joining me on Patreon. Various subscriptions tiers are in place, allowing you to support my addictive art habit for as little as $1 a month.

Offline TNC

• Board Legend
  • Stuck in the middle of nowhere...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2011, 10:22:00 PM »
Could Scott have really shot down a drone with his G36?  That seemed like a bit of a stretch.

Well they did shoot down Wraith Darts on "Atlantis" all the time with M249's and they use the same ammo...  Though to be honest I always thought that was a bit of a stretch when they did that.

And the older gates must be pretty fragile, if the drone was able to take it out.  Seems strange seeing as how we've seen more modern gates survive large nuclear blasts and even almost direct impacts from asteroids.

I thought the same thing after it happened.
“Battle is not a simulation. It’s blood and screams and funerals.” – Capt. Georgiou – Star Trek: Discovery – “The Vulcan Hello”

Offline Jimi James

• So Say We All
  • Administrator
  • Distinguished Member
  • Abandon Ship
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2011, 01:10:41 AM »
I guess it makes sense though that as the Gate tech progressed, they would start to build them with stronger materials so that they might stand the test of time.

I though it was interesting to see the Kino footage showing that TJ had a kid with Young, given how close she's become with Varro.  I guess it would have made things a bit awkward to watch if it was Varro who showed up during the birth and not Young, but still it struck me as an interesting choice to make, almost as if it writes off the development they've made so far, or suggesting that it doesn't work with Varro for some reason and she goes back to Young in the end.

Offline Broken Subspace Scene

• Prolific Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2011, 03:56:54 PM »
Just watched it a few minutes ago, and you guys brought up the things I was mulling over, particularly Varro not being present.  It reminded me of "Children of Time", with the exception that (surprisingly) this one didn't end with a reset button.

I was surprised the gate got blowed up reals goods too, although it was obvious that was going to happen once it was actually hit.  Could it be that the gates just degrade a lot over time, even if they're made of the same materials?  Maybe naquadah has a half-life?  Or since they're not in the Milky Way or Pegasus, maybe they're made of a crappier material?  In any case, it was a bit odd, especially since, as usual, energy blasts only cause minor potholes and fling around extras when fired against the ground, yet shots from the same ship are also able to destroy an incredibly durable object capable of harnessing massive cosmic powers.  Ookay then...

The G36 thing seemed odd to me too, and I agree that it was lame when the SAW took down Wraith Darts.  I thought the G36 taking down the drones was actually more plausible than the Dart kill, in that the drones were actually pretty small and, IIRC, didn't necessarily seem that thick-hulled/heavy.  Didn't they only shoot one down that way in "Duet", though?