Author Topic: $$$SGU "Epilogue" Review and Discussion Thread (spoilers)$$$  (Read 3950 times)

Offline TNC

• Board Legend
  • Stuck in the middle of nowhere...
    • View Profile
$$$SGU "Epilogue" Review and Discussion Thread (spoilers)$$$
« on: April 25, 2011, 09:41:59 PM »
So the Novus people managed to build ships and sent them to a colony that most of the people gated too, but the ships don't have FTL and will take them 100 or so years to get there.  Duplicate Varro wound up with James, Eli with Corporal Barnes, Greer with Park, Scott with Chloe, Brody was apparently alone (and a bitter old man) as well as Wray.  Volker died soon after they got there and Greer and Park named their first kid after him.  T.J. died from ALS five years after they got there.  200 years later they developed a cure for it but it was not one of the things they managed to upload.  Eli wound up being a teacher and wrote a crapload of textbooks.  Rush managed to find some super awesome CO2 absorbing material to replace the lime in the air filters.  Varro was wounded falling from a ladder as they were trying to escape.  The city was swallowed by a fault line due to a black hole entering the system.  They couldn't contact Novus because a volcanic eruption destroyed the Gate.

2 episodes left.  :'(
“Battle is not a simulation. It’s blood and screams and funerals.” – Capt. Georgiou – Star Trek: Discovery – “The Vulcan Hello”

Offline Jimi James

• So Say We All
  • Administrator
  • Distinguished Member
  • Abandon Ship
    • View Profile
    • The New Haven Chronicles
Re: $$$SGU "Epilogue" Review and Discussion Thread (spoilers)$$$
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2011, 04:11:28 PM »
This was a really nice wrap up to the previous episode.  It was interesting finally seeing who ended up with who, though there weren't a lot of surprises really.  Eli not settling down with anyone until almost the end was a bit sad, almost as if he was holding out and finally settled for whoever was left.  Add on top of that Volker finding out his other self died (which shouldn't have been a surprise really) and TJ learning that she's going to get ALS in five years, and it could easily be said this was a depressing episode.  

But seeing the lives that everyone had and everything they managed to accomplish, particularly Eli who was instrumental in the education system, as well as a few laugh out loud moments....old man Brody couldn't have been any better....and it really became an episode about hope, the journey they're taking, and how home is not some place but rather wherever you happen to be with the people you call family.

Looks like more drones next week.  And with only 2 episodes left, I wonder if we'll see the blue aliens again and possibly learn what they really did to Chloe.  I hope at least, at the end of this, we get some sort of statement from the shows writers/creators of how things were going to play out and what their five year plan fully entailed.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2011, 04:14:03 PM by Jimi James »
https://www.patreon.com/JonMichaelMay
Help me make art, by joining me on Patreon. Various subscriptions tiers are in place, allowing you to support my addictive art habit for as little as $1 a month.

Offline TNC

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2011, 06:37:23 PM »
I also hope they release some statement about what they had in mind for the next three years.  Especially since I heard that they plan to release some details about the canceled Atlantis movie after the last episode of SGU airs (or maybe I'm misremembering what I read and they will release details about their plan for the rest of the SGU, IIRC I saw it in a thread on TrekBBS).

A bit spoilery about the final two episodes: They both deal with the Drones.  Also given the scenery shown in the previews, I have a bad feeling that they'll find that the Novus colony was destroyed by the Drones.

Did anyone else think that the evacuation ship at the end gave a Daedalus/Prometheus vibe (in terms of hull detailing and color at least)?

EDIT: Found the thread I mentioned: http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=140598
Post #6 in it says that Mallozzi will answer a bunch of questions on his blog, including what the SGA movie was to be about.  Hopefully some of those questions will involve their plans for the seasons of SGU that would have been.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2011, 06:45:00 PM by TNC »
“Battle is not a simulation. It’s blood and screams and funerals.” – Capt. Georgiou – Star Trek: Discovery – “The Vulcan Hello”

Offline Razor

• Board Legend
  • All things not of this world
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2011, 01:32:52 AM »
A very nice episode and its ending actually almost made it seem like a finale.  Im glad Eli did in fact get himself some love though I thought it was a bit cliched that it Chole and Scott ended up as a married couple.  I figured they would throw us a curve ball and have her turn to Eli.  Also it was cool to see Volker get a dig at Rush at the end.

Gateworld posted something interesting.

http://www.gateworld.net/news/2011/04/epilogue-ratings-show-improvement-for-sgu-but-sanctuary-suffers/

This goes a long way in supporting our theory that, for the average Syfy viewer, it’s not so much the show as the night that it is airing — and that whichever of the network’s three dramas they kept on Friday nights back in October would be the one to keep its ratings up in “renewal” territory.

Once again Hey syfy kiss my ass.

Im wondering what if they should had let Atlantis go on for another season air it with SGU's first season along with Caprica and Sanctuary.
“The boat dipped and swayed and sometimes took on water, but it did not sink; the two brothers had waterproofed it well. I do not know where it finally fetched up, if it ever did; perhaps it reached the sea and sails there forever, like a magic boat in a fairytale. All I know is that it was still afloat and still running on the breast of the flood when it passed the incorporated town limits of Derry, Maine, and there it passes out of this tale forever.” ― Stephen King, It"
High priest in the Cult of J

Offline Jimi James

• So Say We All
  • Administrator
  • Distinguished Member
  • Abandon Ship
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2011, 03:45:22 AM »
I think keeping Atlantis around for one or two season more, particularly for SGU this season with the crossover episode (though that would have no doubt been handled differently given the rush to bring Atlantis home in the series finale, which might not have happen had Atlantis continues) would have helped ease Stagate fans with the transition into SGU.  Particularly those who are/were upset Atlantis was ended and hold it against SGU and seeing as how SGU was such a drastic departure from the previous shows.
Help me make art, by joining me on Patreon. Various subscriptions tiers are in place, allowing you to support my addictive art habit for as little as $1 a month.

Offline TNC

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2011, 06:33:57 PM »
I was thinking about what Jimi said about this being a depressing episode at first.  It's definitely the most emotional episode since, probaby "Sunday" or "Heroes, Pt. 2".  Although the sadness was balanced by all the hope and/or inspiration by what they managed to accomplished.  Definitely one of the best episodes of Stargate, even though it's basically a collection of flashbacks.  I loved the scene at the end with Wray's speech and showing the city evolving.

Random observation/thought: Destiny's main gun can tilt downwards some.  I wonder if it can turn left or right, and if that fourth barrel on it can move independently of the other three.

Another random thought: Since the Ori are dead and their followers have seen the light, I wonder if they could use Ori power sources to dial Destiny (assuming of course that the Ori power sources didn't draw power from the Ori themselves).  Or maybe create a Supergate somewhere near Destiny so they could bring the whole damn ship back, land it somewhere, and restore it to it's former glory (or more since they have access to more advanced Atlantis technology).  Then use the Supergate to send it back to where it was.

And I agree that keeping "Atlantis" around for another season or two would probably have been good for SGU's ratings, although the CGI quality would have probably dropped some.  And they could have either not had Atlantis return to Earth or it could have gone back to Pegasus in the Season 6 premiere.  I'm not sure if the Atlantis coming to Earth was part of the original "Enemy at the Gate" script or not since it was written as a season finale rather than the series one.

Offline Razor

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2011, 07:08:18 PM »
^^^I think they should have kept it on earth for season 6 and made the stargate program public.  matter of fact have the opening episode be a speech by the president reveiling the program to the public then have some Sean Hannity stand in ask what has this program accomplished and then unveil Atlantis quite possibly the greatest technological achievment ever created.  Season six could have dealt with the public's reaction to Atlantis and the stargate as well as having the rest of the Wraith find out about the milky way and plan an invasion.
“The boat dipped and swayed and sometimes took on water, but it did not sink; the two brothers had waterproofed it well. I do not know where it finally fetched up, if it ever did; perhaps it reached the sea and sails there forever, like a magic boat in a fairytale. All I know is that it was still afloat and still running on the breast of the flood when it passed the incorporated town limits of Derry, Maine, and there it passes out of this tale forever.” ― Stephen King, It"

Offline TNC

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2011, 08:09:11 PM »
Making the Gate program public would have been a good idea for season 6  but I doubt it would have happened.  They had apparently come up with some ideas for what Season 6 was going to be before it got cancelled.  Which mostly seemed to stick to the Season 4 & 5 formula of Awesome premiere, bunch of filler with a few good episodes, awesome midseason finale/premiere, more filler, awesome season finale.  Then again, maybe things would have changed between the time they wrote these ideas and the actual season premiere.

Offline Razor

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2011, 10:17:42 PM »
Meh I like my idea better.

Offline Jimi James

• So Say We All
  • Administrator
  • Distinguished Member
  • Abandon Ship
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2011, 11:17:14 PM »
A season with Atlantis on Earth would have definitely helped shake things up I think, particularly given the rut they had fallen into.  They could have even introduced a few of the SGU characters earlier on, like Rush and Young to help build up the show.

If you listen to the Gateworld podcast, one of their frequent guests, (i forget her name right off) raised the theory that Atlantis is now not only serving as the default gate on Earth, but also hovering cloaked over the Pentagon. Though this idea doesn't account for how the Lucian Alliance managed to attack Earth, it does make a bit of sense seeing as how the entire Stargate program and all the important people are now located at Homeworld Command.  Even the stones are back at Homeworld Command, so why would the gate still be locked up in Cheyenne Mountain away from everyone and everything running the program?  She had another point but I forget the details, I think it was something about Telford being able to use the stones in a very short amount of time, after he made the trip back to Earth, much too soon if the gate was still in the Mountain and the stones were back in D.C.  And in most any crisis, important Stargate related personnel have always seem to be right there on demand when needed, rather then having to travel from where ever to use the stones.

The Lucian Alliance attack is obviously the most pressing evidence against Atlantis not being over the Pentagon.  Certainly if they had detected a cloaked cargo ship they would have taken action to stop it.  The sheer size of the city itself and it's mere presence might have even been enough to stop the attack.  On the other hand, taking actions to stop it might have revealed the cities presence to a degree that was impossible to cover up.  That suggests though they let the attack happen rather then stop it and reveal the city, or Atlantis with all its fancy tech, simply couldn't detect a cloaked cargo ship.

It's an interesting idea and perhaps if Atlantis had continued for a few seasons more they could have worked out some way to include the reveal of the city as well as transitioning Atlantis into a show about the Gate program going public, and all the fallout which would ensue, meanwhile the team on Destiny is trying to do what they've been doing while the people at home are dealing with the public and the Lucian Alliance.

Another interesting point, is whether or not the continuation of Atlantis would have effected the SGU story in some way, aside from some crossover.

Offline TNC

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2011, 02:44:04 AM »
Meh I like my idea better.

Yeah, I like the idea of a season dealing with the Gate going public too.

If you listen to the Gateworld podcast, one of their frequent guests, (i forget her name right off) raised the theory that Atlantis is now not only serving as the default gate on Earth, but also hovering cloaked over the Pentagon.

Wouldn't that take a huge amount of power?  I'm pretty sure they had two, maybe three ZPM's during the finale, but that would still take a lot of juice.  I could see perhaps if Atlantis was still on Earth they might move it away from San Fransicso Bay just to get it out of the way.  Maybe somewhere off the East Coast near D.C. and they shipped Telford there via jumper.  Or they could have installed transporters in the SGC and Homeworld Command (assuming Atlantis isn't the SGC now). 

Another interesting point, is whether or not the continuation of Atlantis would have effected the SGU story in some way, aside from some crossover.

If they did a Gate going public story then probably.  At the very least Chloe's mom would not have been able to threaten making the Gate program public if they didn't get Chloe back.  But if they did another typical season that it probably would have only affected the crossover episode.  Maybe...  The only thing I could really think of SGA staying on affecting SGU would be budget issues: less awesome CGI, maybe less Telford or having Telford be played by someone less famous, fewer O'Neill cameos maybe.  :-\

Offline TNC

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2011, 09:03:25 AM »
I nominate this song for the next musical montage.  :P  (Okay, I'm only half joking)

The video contains scenes from "Air", it's a little shocking how much some of the character's physical apperance has changed in just two years, especially Rush, Young, and Eli.

Offline Broken Subspace Scene

• Prolific Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2011, 07:45:19 PM »
I didn't think there would be a lot of payoff, but this was really entertaining.  Damn, I hate this cancellation.

- In terms of future potential, I kind of love the idea of the doctor (so to speak) having a personal death clock countdown.  I'm sure it's been used elsewhere, but it felt like a neat and original plot concept, although it maybe overloads the TJ character with a bit too much going on.
- I like this as character development for Eli. It clearly shows he has potential as a leader, and Volker basically establishes it at the end: Eli can essentially replace Rush in the long run, and his interpersonal skills (relatively speaking) go a long way, too.  I agree though, it was a bit sad Eli seemed to be settling.  It seems the Eli character is really established as having sort of a bittersweet future...great 'career' potential, but never real personal happiness. 
- Camille is apparently a superwoman, outliving dozens of people 15-20 years younger than her.  Was her apparent descendent's origin ever explained?
- I really hate the way in pretty much any show people tend to go overboard with their "older" versions.  Characters who are clearly supposed to be 25-30 year-olds aged to 45-60 suddenly talk like old grannie.  That's...not how people from that age group talk.
- Brody's "get off my lawn" speech was funny but a bit obvious.
- Also, I know it's a visual cue, but I find it really irritating that every show that has the characters start from scratch puts them in silly pioneer clothing.  Obviously they're not going to be instantly fabricating advanced textiles, but why would you make new clothes in weird old-fashioned cuts and styles?

Offline TNC

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2011, 09:05:32 AM »

- Camille is apparently a superwoman, outliving dozens of people 15-20 years younger than her.  Was her apparent descendent's origin ever explained?

I don't think they explained it.  I suppose she could have mentioned her father in those Kino recordings and someone watching would have thought it would make a good name (maybe one of Greer & Park's descendants?).