Author Topic: $$$SGU "Blockade" Review and Discussion Thread (spoilers)$$$  (Read 2099 times)

Offline TNC

• Board Legend
  • Stuck in the middle of nowhere...
    • View Profile
So the Drones have blockaded all viable stars for Destiny to recharge in which forces them to do something crazy and use a Class-O blue supergiant to recharge.  They had to evacuate most of the crew to prevent them from dieing from the heat.  Eli, Rush, and Park stayed on board in the suits.  While Park was trying to save the plants Destiny sealed her in the dome and she was forced to take refuge in the water tank.  As they exited the star the dome cracked and she was almost sucked out.  Eli managed to save her but she was blinded.

Meanwhile the rest of the crew got attacked by Drones on a planet that the Novus people colonized.  Varro had some sort of rocket launcher and shot a drone down while Young, Greer, and Scott managed to shoot another down...

Varro got back on his feet pretty quickly, although it has been at least 10 days since the last episode (I'm assuming, I think there was a line about dropping off the other people).  I hope Park's blindness isn't perminate.

Trivia: Destiny likes to recharge in main-sequence stars, usually red dwarfs.

Next week is the last episode.  :(     While I'm loathe to plug syfy, they are showing SG-1 marathons all this week.  I'm pretty sure they're doing a marathon of the last few episodes of SGU next Monday.
“Battle is not a simulation. It’s blood and screams and funerals.” – Capt. Georgiou – Star Trek: Discovery – “The Vulcan Hello”

Offline Jimi James

• So Say We All
  • Administrator
  • Distinguished Member
  • Abandon Ship
    • View Profile
    • The New Haven Chronicles
Re: $$$SGU "Blockade" Review and Discussion Thread (spoilers)$$$
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2011, 09:57:03 PM »
Mmm, botchulism. :D  I may miss Volker the most.

Where were all the descendant/survivors they were supposed to be dropping off?  If there was a line of dialog about dropping them off, I must have missed it.

I love that seen with Tellford.  They've effectively cut him out of having any power or say about what happens on the ship.  As Rush said, it's their lives and he's not even there.

The issue of timing....Rush says they need to wait and Young continues to ask how now is not soon enough...on more then one occasion.  We know that going to FTL early will damage the engines, but it seems like more then that, like Rush and Young are almost using it as a way of control.  Even though he's 'working' with everyone to try and complete the mission, he's still manipulating people he finds useful.

Once again, the fly through the gas giant and the star looked spectacular.

A minor quibble;
This time, it took the sustained fire from three people to bring down a drone.  Also, it seemed like they all fired way more rounds then what their mags could have held, and it didn't look like they switched out, unless they reloaded while dodging drone fire.  I also noticed Young wasn't carrying an M4 or G36...I think he might have been using an H&K UMP.  Corporal Barnes was also carrying some other type of rifle, though I didn't get a close enough look to tell what it was.

On another note, ratings improved last week for Epilogue.  Ratings for Sanctuary which took SGU's spot were down.
http://www.gateworld.net/news/2011/04/epilogue-ratings-show-improvement-for-sgu-but-sanctuary-suffers/
https://www.patreon.com/JonMichaelMay
Help me make art, by joining me on Patreon. Various subscriptions tiers are in place, allowing you to support my addictive art habit for as little as $1 a month.

Offline TNC

• Board Legend
  • Stuck in the middle of nowhere...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2011, 10:16:59 PM »
A minor quibble;
This time, it took the sustained fire from three people to bring down a drone.  Also, it seemed like they all fired way more rounds then what their mags could have held, and it didn't look like they switched out, unless they reloaded while dodging drone fire.  I also noticed Young wasn't carrying an M4 or G36...I think he might have been using an H&K UMP.  Corporal Barnes was also carrying some other type of rifle, though I didn't get a close enough look to tell what it was.

Col. Young was using a UMP.  According to the Stargate Wiki he brought a UMP .45 through the gate.  I'm pretty sure they used it on the ice planet to shoot off pieces of ice.  I'm not sure what Corporal Barnes was using but AFAIK they have M4's, G36's, and maybe M16's.  They also might have a few Lucian Alliance weapons (their rifles happen to be based on the Chinese QBZ-95, according to the Gate Wiki anyway).  I wonder if that rocket launcher Varro used was a Lucian Alliance weapon, didn't look like any Earth weapon I've ever seen (then again, I'm no firearms expert or anything).  That and when they usually use rockets/missiles from Earth it's either a Stinger or an AT4.

Anywho as too the issue of them taking the drone down with more fire than the last one...
1) There are at least 3 different sized drones (according to Stargate Wiki anyway) so the one that was shot down in "Common Descent" was one of the smaller ones.
2) Scott managed to get lucky and hit a vital engine component in "Common Descent".

As for reloading... Isn't that a common issue with people in TV shows firing many, many more rounds than the weapon they are using should be able to fire?  Although I could assume that they reloaded during the dodging moments.  (I do remember scenes with people reloading weapons on Stargate before but I don't know if it was done accurately or whatever.)

Where were all the descendant/survivors they were supposed to be dropping off?  If there was a line of dialog about dropping them off, I must have missed it.

I think they made a comment at the begining of the episode.  Eli said something about "missing the new faces" and Rush responded "this isn't a passenger ship".  It was right before they did the breaking manuver around the gas giant.

Brody and Volker: (weakly) Yay.
“Battle is not a simulation. It’s blood and screams and funerals.” – Capt. Georgiou – Star Trek: Discovery – “The Vulcan Hello”

Offline Jimi James

• So Say We All
  • Administrator
  • Distinguished Member
  • Abandon Ship
    • View Profile
    • The New Haven Chronicles
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2011, 10:36:11 PM »
Barnes rifle might have been one of those Chinese QBZ-95.  It seemed to have a solid stock and larger carrying handle like the QBZ-95.  As for Varo's rocket launcher, yeah that's nothing I've ever seen before either.  It was a bit like the M72 LAW, though considerably shorter.  If I had to guess I'd say it was a custom built prop.

I had forgotten about there being more then one type of drone, so I guess that's a good enough reason.

I didn't catch the comment about the passengers at all and watched it twice, then again there were a few times when Rush was speaking sort of quietly and I couldn't make out what he said so that might have been it.

I also like Volkers line about there being no gun stores because they might be Canadain, which is amusing considering where they film.
https://www.patreon.com/JonMichaelMay
Help me make art, by joining me on Patreon. Various subscriptions tiers are in place, allowing you to support my addictive art habit for as little as $1 a month.