Author Topic: SGU spoilers $$$$ "Gauntlet"  (Read 5396 times)

Offline Razor

• Board Legend
  • All things not of this world
    • View Profile
SGU spoilers $$$$ "Gauntlet"
« on: May 09, 2011, 08:11:57 PM »
Good god that was tragedy.  So they all go into extended FTL stasis to escape the drones and Eli has to stay out.  At least it ended on a sense of closure.  MGM needs to get off they're asses and let them finish this story properly.
“The boat dipped and swayed and sometimes took on water, but it did not sink; the two brothers had waterproofed it well. I do not know where it finally fetched up, if it ever did; perhaps it reached the sea and sails there forever, like a magic boat in a fairytale. All I know is that it was still afloat and still running on the breast of the flood when it passed the incorporated town limits of Derry, Maine, and there it passes out of this tale forever.” ― Stephen King, It"
High priest in the Cult of J

Offline Jimi James

• So Say We All
  • Administrator
  • Distinguished Member
  • Abandon Ship
    • View Profile
    • The New Haven Chronicles
Re: SGU spoilers $$$$ "Gauntlet"
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2011, 08:24:09 PM »
Those last few minutes really felt like a proper farewell to some extent, especially when Destiny started powering down.  But man, what a cliffhanger, jumping ahead three years and that's assuming everything goes exactly according to plan.  I'm hoping now more then ever that we at least find out how things unfold, even if it's just a blog post or an interview.

https://www.patreon.com/JonMichaelMay
Help me make art, by joining me on Patreon. Various subscriptions tiers are in place, allowing you to support my addictive art habit for as little as $1 a month.

Offline TNC

• Board Legend
  • Stuck in the middle of nowhere...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2011, 08:31:48 PM »
I suppose it's somehow appropriate that one of the final scenes of the final episode is a sequence showing all the lights across Destiny shut off (considering that first sequence of the first episode showed all the lights turning on)...

I was kinda expecting Young to throw Eli in the stasis pod right there at the end.  The plan to take out the Command ship with the shuttle was pretty clever.  There must be an awful lot of those things if they're at every gate between Destiny and the edge of the galaxy.  I wonder if the things can make more of themselves or the guys that built them just built a crapload of them.

Trivia: There's 300 billion stars in the galaxy they're in.  According to Wikipedia our galaxy has 100-400 billion stars, which would mean that the galaxy they're in is about the same size as ours (unless it's far more dense than ours).

I doubt will see a conclusion of this story, except as a novel or something.  I would love to be proven wrong though...
“Battle is not a simulation. It’s blood and screams and funerals.” – Capt. Georgiou – Star Trek: Discovery – “The Vulcan Hello”

Offline Razor

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2011, 09:31:39 PM »
Something in my gut tells me we'll see something.   Im wondering if the 3 years thing was prophetic.
“The boat dipped and swayed and sometimes took on water, but it did not sink; the two brothers had waterproofed it well. I do not know where it finally fetched up, if it ever did; perhaps it reached the sea and sails there forever, like a magic boat in a fairytale. All I know is that it was still afloat and still running on the breast of the flood when it passed the incorporated town limits of Derry, Maine, and there it passes out of this tale forever.” ― Stephen King, It"

Offline TNC

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2011, 10:38:54 PM »
Something in my gut tells me we'll see something.   Im wondering if the 3 years thing was prophetic.

It could turn out to be but I think the episode was filmed before the series was canceled.  I was going to suggest something about them having three years to get a conclusion out.

I was also thinking that if Rush stayed awake that he might un-quarantine Ginn and Perry and upload his consciousness to the ship (assuming he couldn't get the pod fixed that is).
“Battle is not a simulation. It’s blood and screams and funerals.” – Capt. Georgiou – Star Trek: Discovery – “The Vulcan Hello”

Offline Jedigreedo

• Veteran Member
  • Red Shirt Says Aaggghh
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2011, 02:09:35 AM »
It was a good episode and surprisingly fairly mellow...  Not exactly what I'd prefer to end a series/franchise on, though, I suppose it's better than an edge-of-the-seat cliffhanger.  I didn't expect to have it really hit my emotions but I admit I teared up when the lights went out on the stargate.

I nearly expected to see a message at the end, like "Eli Wallace never returned home."
"We came, we saw, we conquered, we woke up!"

Offline Razor

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2011, 11:21:03 AM »
^^^I was thinking the same thing.

Offline Razor

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2011, 12:53:38 AM »
On a positive note.

http://www.gateworld.net/news/2011/05/stargate-universe-finale-ratings-highest-since-november/

Very interesting that Sanctuary's ratings havent bounced back.

Offline Broken Subspace Scene

• Prolific Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2011, 07:00:04 PM »
What a great episode, which makes the cancellation all the more maddening and saddening.  I'd agree that it did work fairly well as an unintentional series finale.

I don't know if it actually would have been as good of a season finale, oddly enough.  Time jumps like that have been really gimmicky in the past.  It certainly would have been a bold move, though.

It was a good episode and surprisingly fairly mellow...  Not exactly what I'd prefer to end a series/franchise on, though, I suppose it's better than an edge-of-the-seat cliffhanger.  I didn't expect to have it really hit my emotions but I admit I teared up when the lights went out on the stargate.

I actually liked the mellow/somber tone.  The way the episode sort of naturally wound down (from action into the goodbyes) sort of echoed the 'going to sleep' idea.  It just felt appropriate to me, and in some ways, a blaze of glory with a huge middle-of-a-firefight cliffhanger might have been more frustrating and felt more unfinished.  This almost felt ambiguous in the right way.

I wouldn't hold your breath.  Weren't the sets torn down?  Hard to reassemble a big ensemble cast too.  I really doubt it comes back in any televised (TV/webisode/movie) form whatsoever.

Sigh.

Offline TNC

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2011, 07:23:17 PM »
^I don't remember hearing anything about the Destiny sets being torn down (though it would not surprise me if they did).  I do know that the SGC sets were redressed to serve as Icarus Base and IIRC they were torn down after that.

Offline Razor

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2011, 07:56:46 PM »
^^^The Atlantis sets were taken down.  I havent heard anything about Destiny's sets.  Even then if worse comes to worse they could do what BSG Blood and Chrome is doing and just use digital sets.

I wouldn't hold your breath.  Weren't the sets torn down?  Hard to reassemble a big ensemble cast too.  I really doubt it comes back in any televised (TV/webisode/movie) form whatsoever.

To paraphrase Kai "The Dead dont breath" Im not holding my breath Im just trying to remain optimistic.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2011, 07:58:34 PM by Razor »

Offline Jimi James

• So Say We All
  • Administrator
  • Distinguished Member
  • Abandon Ship
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2011, 08:13:50 PM »
I seem to remember hearing that the Destiny sets had been torn down already.  I thought someone posted it here, but we might have missed it.  Once the sets are down though, it's pretty much the final nail in the coffin.  And even if another network picked it up and went through the trouble of rebuilding the sets (depending on if they were put in storage or scrapped entirely; and some of them might have been sold off already in one of the recent auctions) or using digital sets, like BSS said, getting all the cast back together would be really difficult.  Many of them have moved on to other things, so if the show did come back, it would likely be missing some people.  There would likely be a lot of, 'they didn't survive the trip through stasis,' going on.

And really, how many main characters would you be willing to lose before it's just not worth it.  Could the show even go on without Rush or Eli?  And while she might have started out as somewhat useless, I think it's safe to say now that Chloe has become an integral part of the story, particularly in terms of how the long term interactions with the Blue Aliens would have unfolded.  So if you can't get the characters back that were essential to the overall story, is it even worth trying to continue?

Considering all of that, it's a lot of baggage for another network/studio to take on.

This kills me though.  I'm dieing to find out what they had planned for next season, if in fact they jumped ahead three years.  What sort of changed would have taken place back on Earth.  Would the Stargate be public by then?  Skipping over how it happened and simply saying it did happen, would certainly be a way out of the how to public issue that's arisen.  And what might have happened with the Lucian Alliance, and the Blue Aliens for that matter.  I doubt they've given up on Destiny and would just be content to trail the ship for another three years without taking some action.  With the ship operating at low power, they might even be able to board the ship and be hanging around when the crew starts to wake up.

There's still so much potential there.
Help me make art, by joining me on Patreon. Various subscriptions tiers are in place, allowing you to support my addictive art habit for as little as $1 a month.

Offline Razor

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2011, 10:33:02 PM »
^^^Umm yeah I know its a long shot.  I dont think Im being clear here I know the show isn't coming back. Im just staying optimistic that we might get some kind of closure for this continuity before the inevitable reboot.

Offline Fiery Little One

• Distinguished Member
  • Live Long and Prosper
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2011, 07:02:55 PM »
They shot it as a season finale, still played as a series finale though. Here's hoping it won't take them too long to kick off the next series.
Open your mind to new possibilities
-Trip(sort of), The Crossing

Offline Xero

• Board Legend
  • Let the big man do his job.
    • View Profile
"Well Steve, I think it's more like we both had this rich neighbor named Xerox and I broke into his house to steal the TV set and found out that you had already stolen it." - Bill Gate's response to Steve Jobs' accusation of theft.

Offline Razor

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2011, 09:20:52 PM »
Hmm the idea of a more militant group of descendants would be a good idea.

Offline Jimi James

• So Say We All
  • Administrator
  • Distinguished Member
  • Abandon Ship
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2011, 09:54:47 PM »
Seriously?

"A few potential scenarios, vague notions of where we could go."

I don't know how they write that way.  How do you write a cliffhanger like that and not have some sense better then the slew of maybe's and what if's, of where it would have gone.  And it's been several months since the finale was filmed and even more since it was written.  The writers never got together and and tried to nail down a more concrete idea of what they wanted to do?  I can't imagine writing a story like that and I can't believe the show's creator doesn't have a better idea by now of how it would have been resolved. 
I may not know every single detail of a story I'm working on, but when I commit to a major plot point, I like to know where it's going to go, how it's going to be wrapped up, and what the eventual pay off will be.  I would never commit to something and just hope it works out later when I get around to writing the next episode.
That type of writing will never make sense to me.  And maybe it's because I'm now slightly annoyed, but none of those ideas sound interesting.

If you read down through the questions and answers, you can see that apparently there is some issue with someone writing 'Fuck the French" in the Math/Science corridor of Destiny, and it actually made it on air.  Here's a link to the forum (full of SGU haters) that caught the phrase and brought it up on Mallozzi,'s blog.
http://forums.scifi-nexus.com/showthread.php?1930-SGU-Faux-Pas-Extraordinaire-!!-Breaking-News!!!

It's also worth reading Mallozzi's apology, in which he gets rather pissed off.

• Prolific Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2011, 11:00:37 AM »
That does seem rather peculiar...even if you don't have the season mapped out, you'd think you would have a definitive conclusion to the cliffhanger!  Also, in general, I thought they had bragged about having a 5 year plan for the show?

At least there were a few solid answers:

"Franklin was subsumed by the ship, his engrams (brain patterns) incorporated into the mainframe to form the default for the ship’s developing A.I. Which is why, unlike Ginn or Perry, he is not so much Franklin as he is an emotionless embodiment of Destiny itself."

Offline Xero

• Board Legend
  • Let the big man do his job.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2011, 03:09:13 PM »
I kind of like the idea about having them wake up 100+ years later. That would have been interesting.
"Well Steve, I think it's more like we both had this rich neighbor named Xerox and I broke into his house to steal the TV set and found out that you had already stolen it." - Bill Gate's response to Steve Jobs' accusation of theft.

• Prolific Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2011, 03:40:00 PM »
It's kind of hard to judge, but I think it would have been the type of thing that would have been awesome for about 4 episodes before it would be identified as the show's 'jump the shark' moment.  Removing the entirety of the 'family left behind' element, linkages to SG1 and SGA...

Offline TNC

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 14, 2011, 07:53:56 PM »
I think the most likely/reasonable thing would have been a rescue op lead by Telford arriving at some point during or after the three year stasis period.

Also, in general, I thought they had bragged about having a 5 year plan for the show?

I'm not sure they said they had a five year plan for the show, just that they would take five years to conclude the show (if all went well, IIRC they said they would need at least two more years (at or around the start of season two) to wrap everything.)