Author Topic: Falling Skies  (Read 4864 times)

Offline White Wolf

• Distinguished Member
    • View Profile
Falling Skies
« on: June 27, 2011, 12:58:24 PM »
Has anyone been tuning into this new series Exe Produced by Steven Speilberg on TNT?

Although its been only 2 eps into the first season the series is avoiding alot of the usual cliches usually associated with Sci Fi. I'm looking forward to more. If Falling Skies doesn't get Cancel Axe first.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2011, 12:47:18 PM by White Wolf »
Human Nature. Without a common enemy , men will look for foes in the one place they can guarantee finding one: The Past. -Eoforth, Sigmar's right hand man,

A mind without a purpose will walk in dark places. - Gideon Ravenor, Inquisitor of the Imperium of Mankind.

Offline White Wolf

• Distinguished Member
    • View Profile
Re: Falling Skies
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2011, 07:45:26 PM »
No replies?
Human Nature. Without a common enemy , men will look for foes in the one place they can guarantee finding one: The Past. -Eoforth, Sigmar's right hand man,

A mind without a purpose will walk in dark places. - Gideon Ravenor, Inquisitor of the Imperium of Mankind.

Offline Jimi James

• So Say We All
  • Administrator
  • Distinguished Member
  • Abandon Ship
    • View Profile
    • The New Haven Chronicles
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2011, 09:27:02 PM »
It looked interesting from the previews, but I didn't watch it.
https://www.patreon.com/JonMichaelMay
Help me make art, by joining me on Patreon. Various subscriptions tiers are in place, allowing you to support my addictive art habit for as little as $1 a month.

Offline Flagg

• Board Legend
  • Gotham's Reckoning
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2011, 11:28:23 PM »
Have a bunch on my DVR, haven't watched it yet.

Offline Jedigreedo

• Veteran Member
  • Red Shirt Says Aaggghh
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2011, 07:32:49 PM »
I've watched the pilot so far but I can't find any worthwhile reason to watch further episodes.  It was pretty predictable, the characters are as cliched as possible and the dialogue was horrible.
"We came, we saw, we conquered, we woke up!"

Offline Jimi James

• So Say We All
  • Administrator
  • Distinguished Member
  • Abandon Ship
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2011, 10:08:15 AM »
I watched the first three episodes this morning.  There is certainly a lot of potential, but it's not pushing any boundaries or trying to do anything that's terribly new.  It's by no means as bad as the new V was, but there is definitely room for improvement. 
Help me make art, by joining me on Patreon. Various subscriptions tiers are in place, allowing you to support my addictive art habit for as little as $1 a month.

Offline White Wolf

• Distinguished Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2011, 06:46:37 PM »
People ask question about the show and Devs answer.

Q: What happened when the aliens first came? What did the invasion consist of? (Melanie W., New Orleans)

A: When the alien ships first appeared in the sky, they didn’t do anything. For weeks, we watched them and waited - we hesitated, not wanting to use our nukes in case they were friendly. We tried every possible means of communicating with them, without success. Then the aliens struck – they fired on all major cities and military bases world-wide. At all major population centers, they used radiation bombs that killed all animal life within 100 miles but left the buildings intact. At the military bases, they razed the earth. Troops, aircraft carriers, tanks, planes, submarines – all were destroyed. The aliens won before we could even start to fight. And then they dropped the EMP weapon – it was overkill, but they did it anyway, just to ensure their ships would land safely. Once the ships were down, the Skitter attack forces went to work.

Q: The EMP version that the aliens used knocked out all forms of electrical equipment. Has the effect worn off? Or has the effect been weakened during time? Tom and his team drive cars, use flashlights and the evil gang used a petrol driven generator to produce electricity. How is all of this working? (Tony J., Los Angeles)

A: An EMP kills all solid state technology – tech that has integrated circuits, on silicon chips (modern computers, cell phones, etc). Older cars, the models made before onboard computers became standard, will work just fine, as will any old vacuum tube based technology. Basically anything built to survive a nuclear war will still work.

Q: Why was the decision made to skip the actual invasion and start the series when and where it did? (Aaron D., Madison, WI)

A: Because we’ve all seen that movie before, from Battle: Los Angeles to Independence Day to Battleship. For our show we wanted to explore a different story - what happens after the aliens win. And after an invasion like this, nothing that happened in the past matters anymore.
Q: What was the reaction to the invasion? (Jason M., Boston)

A: It was chaos. Every government was destroyed, along with every military installation. People everywhere were trying desperately to save themselves – mostly they ran and tried to hide. It took time for those willing to fight back to find each other, and to form the first militia units. Most of the population was in shock for months.

Q: The whole military was wiped out yet the resistance is still running around with AK47's. How did the world's military get wiped out? How does everyone have automatic weapons and yet not one of the people have a tube (grenade launcher) under ANY of the AR's? (Andre S., New York)

A: From the start the aliens targeted the military, personnel and weapons. Our team has scrounged guns from wherever they can get them, mostly from gun stores - ARs you can find pretty much everywhere, but while the grenade launching tube attachment, the M203, is also fairly easy to find, most stores only stock 40mm training rounds to use with it. The real, highly explosive 40mm grenades are classified as Destructive Devices and are hard to get – you have to be registered with the Federal government, not to mention the retail cost of $400-$500 per cartridge, with a $200 tax on top of that. As you can imagine, most stores didn’t stock them. Our team would be have to be really, really lucky to find some.

Q: Where are all of the bodies? How is there so little evidence of destruction? The 2ndmass walks through seemingly untouched neighborhoods. Over 310 Million people in the U.S. where did the bodies go--alive or dead? (Stephanie S., San Diego, CA)

A: The aliens weren’t out to destroy our infrastructure – they were out to kill us, and they had much better means by which to do so than conventional explosives. The bombs they dropped on major population centers weren’t bombs as we know them – they delivered a targeted radiation sweep that killed every mammal in a radius of 100 miles. If you were caught in the kill zone during the strike, you weren’t just dead – you were human soup. There were no bodies left to find. Of course, after the Skitter forces hit the ground, they could no longer use their radiation weapons without harming their own troops – but the Skitters themselves disposed of the remains of the people they killed. The surviving humans don’t know why.

http://www.tnt.tv/series/fallingskies/display/?contentId=102933
« Last Edit: August 12, 2011, 07:37:09 PM by White Wolf »

Offline Jon

• Prolific Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2012, 07:12:30 PM »
The new 2nd season has started tonight...Looking good so far.

Offline TNC

• Board Legend
  • Stuck in the middle of nowhere...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2012, 07:25:42 AM »
<snip>

Q: Where are all of the bodies? How is there so little evidence of destruction? The 2ndmass walks through seemingly untouched neighborhoods. Over 310 Million people in the U.S. where did the bodies go--alive or dead? (Stephanie S., San Diego, CA)

A: The aliens weren’t out to destroy our infrastructure – they were out to kill us, and they had much better means by which to do so than conventional explosives. The bombs they dropped on major population centers weren’t bombs as we know them – they delivered a targeted radiation sweep that killed every mammal in a radius of 100 miles. If you were caught in the kill zone during the strike, you weren’t just dead – you were human soup. There were no bodies left to find. Of course, after the Skitter forces hit the ground, they could no longer use their radiation weapons without harming their own troops – but the Skitters themselves disposed of the remains of the people they killed. The surviving humans don’t know why.

Regarding the highlighted comment: I'm sorry but that sounds a bit implausible.  Granted it's not as bad as "genetically engineered radiation that causes exploding tumors", but I don't think you can make a radiation bomb that will only target mammals.  I'm pretty sure any radiation bomb would kill most vertebrates.
“Battle is not a simulation. It’s blood and screams and funerals.” – Capt. Georgiou – Star Trek: Discovery – “The Vulcan Hello”

Offline The Unbound

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2012, 08:29:54 AM »
I suppose human soup goes bad pretty quickly if it's just left out in the open like that.
Steady on.

Offline TNC

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2012, 10:59:29 PM »
So after watching all of season 2 I find myself disagreeing with the commercials saying this show is "mind blowing" and that the season finale would be/was "epic" and would "have you on the edge of your seat".  Maybe I'm just a bitter bastard but this show just seems like a cliche wrapped in teen angst topped off with more cliches.  It's not awful or anything and it is entertaining to a degree but it just fills predictable and by-the-numbers.
“Battle is not a simulation. It’s blood and screams and funerals.” – Capt. Georgiou – Star Trek: Discovery – “The Vulcan Hello”

Offline Jimi James

• So Say We All
  • Administrator
  • Distinguished Member
  • Abandon Ship
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2012, 11:35:03 PM »
That's pretty much how I felt in season one, though I haven't seen any thing beyond of the first three episodes I watched originally, so I guess it's not fair to judge the entire series. 

Online Fiery Little One

• Distinguished Member
  • Live Long and Prosper
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2012, 08:33:43 PM »
Well the Canadian premiere was ~30 mins ago. Seems alright. Not particularly mind blowing, but not mind numbing either.
Open your mind to new possibilities
-Trip(sort of), The Crossing

Offline TNC

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2012, 07:32:10 PM »
Not particularly mind blowing, but not mind numbing either.

I guess that's a nicer way of saying what I said earlier.  It's not an awful show, but it's not awesome either.  There's definitely room for improvement.

Online Fiery Little One

• Distinguished Member
  • Live Long and Prosper
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2012, 09:17:52 PM »
Yeah, short of them doing something mind numbingly stupid I'll stick around unless Space decides to move it to a new time that doesn't work for me.

Offline Jon

• Prolific Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2013, 08:52:00 PM »
Tonight's season premier is looking good. Kind of disappointing that they didn't recap/go over what happened at the end of last season.

Online Fiery Little One

• Distinguished Member
  • Live Long and Prosper
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2013, 09:42:26 PM »
While it's got an interesting mix as far as the cast went, I kinda lost interest after my last post here.