Author Topic: The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword  (Read 2989 times)

Offline BorgMan

• Global Moderator
  • Artistic Assimilator
    • View Profile
    • Visionm.nl
The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword
« on: November 01, 2011, 02:01:12 AM »
Figured that this close to the release date, this game deserves it's own thread.

I've pre-ordered it with a €10,- discount (probably because the shop didn't know the exact price yet) so I'm quite content with that. I've been following the release videos for some time now but just a few days ago an "origins" trailer popped up at GameTrailers. Be sure to check out the comments; there's this guy who meticulously explains how this game is connected to the rest of the franchise, all just from looking at the trailer, and I think he has a VERY solid case. It's about time we got a game explaining all the loose ends...

Can't wait for Skyward Sword! Just 3 weeks to go ^__^
*Doorbell Sound*

"Hi, I am Elder 14 of 37 and this is my traveling companion Sister 29 of 128. We represent the Borg..."
"Oh Roddenbery, you guys again? Look, it's 8 in the morning and I don't have time for you OK? I told you last week..."
"But... Assimilation... Holopamflet!"
"Yeah right, you can leave it here but I'll throw it on the rest of the bunch I got from your other 'brothers' and 'sisters'. Now scram before I call the 8472 Squad!"

Offline TNC

• Board Legend
  • Stuck in the middle of nowhere...
    • View Profile
Re: The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2011, 07:03:33 AM »
<Points at Borgman and the author of said comments> NEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRRRDDDDDDDSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!

Just kidding.   

To be honest I'm a bit of a Zelda fanboy myself.  However, I don't know if I will get this game.  I really don't feel like buying a Wii for one game because there's pretty much nothing else on the Wii I want, and the replacement for the Wii will probably come out in a year or two.  There are a couple of Resident Evil games on the Wii but they're set up like arcade shooters and I don't care for arcade shooters (plus they're really just Resident Evils 0-Code Veronica with some extra crap thrown in and I can just read plot summaries if I want to know what the extra crap is, and I already watched YouTube videos of every level of the first one with cutscenes so...).  About the only thing I can think of that would justify buying a Wii would be the fact that it can download old games and that would give me the chance to finally beat Ocarina of Time.  :-\
“Battle is not a simulation. It’s blood and screams and funerals.” – Capt. Georgiou – Star Trek: Discovery – “The Vulcan Hello”

Offline Hobbes

• Veteran Member
  • Cinnamon! No!
    • View Profile
    • Federation Starship Datalink
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2011, 06:31:56 PM »
Planning on getting this game.  Been a Zelda fan since I was a kid.

I still remember when I was like 8 years old going to a friend's house to play the first Zelda game with it's gold cartridge on the NES.  Jump ahead to the fun of A Link to the Past...my favorite SNES game.  Or Ocarina of Time which is my all time favorite Zelda game.

Regarding the Wii.  I have one, there's a couple games I like, but the best thing about it is downloading old NES/SNES/Genesis games.
"People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people."
Federation Starship Datalink

Offline BorgMan

• Global Moderator
  • Artistic Assimilator
    • View Profile
    • Visionm.nl
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2011, 05:55:51 PM »
If you haven't already: BUY THIS GAME! It is a true masterpiece. The pacing is a bit steep though. I was wondering why I started with so many hearts instead of the usual 3, but then I got into my first boss fight. Good luck on that one, he's a tough motherf*cker...
*Doorbell Sound*

"Hi, I am Elder 14 of 37 and this is my traveling companion Sister 29 of 128. We represent the Borg..."
"Oh Roddenbery, you guys again? Look, it's 8 in the morning and I don't have time for you OK? I told you last week..."
"Yeah right, you can leave it here but I'll throw it on the rest of the bunch I got from your other 'brothers' and 'sisters'. Now scram before I call the 8472 Squad!"

Offline Flagg

• Board Legend
  • Gotham's Reckoning
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2011, 06:19:15 PM »
Buy a wii and this single game for it or the super duper special edition of ToR for fatty nerds... Decisions, decisions...

Offline TNC

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2011, 06:35:44 PM »
^ToR?
“Battle is not a simulation. It’s blood and screams and funerals.” – Capt. Georgiou – Star Trek: Discovery – “The Vulcan Hello”

Offline Flagg

• Board Legend
  • Gotham's Reckoning
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2011, 06:37:46 PM »
Star Wars: The Old Republic.

Offline TNC

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2011, 06:56:54 PM »
Ah...

Anywho... Even after reading and watching a couple of reviews, I still haven't decided if I will get this game anytime soon.  The money I could spend on a Wii and this one game would probably be better spent on three more PS3 games (Final Fantasy XIII-2 (1/31/2012), Silent Hill: Downpour (3/31/2012), and Final Fantasy Versus XII or MGS: Rising whichever comes out first) or expanding my PSP library beyond one game, or buying one tank of gas ([Sheldon voice]Bazinga[/Sheldon voice]).  :-\

Offline Flagg

• Board Legend
  • Gotham's Reckoning
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2011, 07:06:04 PM »
Save up for a PS Vita.

Offline TNC

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2011, 07:15:33 PM »
But I just got my PSP back in April...  :( :P  (Which actually brings me to another point about not getting a Wii, it will probably be replaced in a year or two and the next big Zelda will probably come out on the Wii U [Damn Nintendo and their whimsical names!].)  And I probably won't even get a PS Vita unless something I really want comes out on it as I don't really care for portable gaming, I only got the PSP because the third Parasite Eve game came out on it (though now that I have it there's about three or four more games for it that interest me).

Offline Hobbes

• Veteran Member
  • Cinnamon! No!
    • View Profile
    • Federation Starship Datalink
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2011, 09:30:52 PM »
Anyone here with Skyward Sword?  I played a demo at Best Buy and the graphics looked horrible.  Like Ocarina on N64 was better.  Not sure if the TV they had the game playing on was shitty and the video settings were bad.
"People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people."
Federation Starship Datalink

Offline Flagg

• Board Legend
  • Gotham's Reckoning
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2011, 11:50:38 PM »
It's the Wii, dude. They all look that shitty.

Offline Xero

• Board Legend
  • Let the big man do his job.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2011, 01:16:54 AM »
It looks like your typical Wii game.  Like something from the PS2 launch lineup.
"Well Steve, I think it's more like we both had this rich neighbor named Xerox and I broke into his house to steal the TV set and found out that you had already stolen it." - Bill Gate's response to Steve Jobs' accusation of theft.

Offline BorgMan

• Global Moderator
  • Artistic Assimilator
    • View Profile
    • Visionm.nl
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2011, 06:25:14 PM »
It's true that it isn't a graphical powerhouse, but in all honesty: when you start playing you won't notice it.
*Doorbell Sound*

Offline Xero

• Board Legend
  • Let the big man do his job.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2011, 09:02:00 PM »
Probably notice how horrible the controls on the Wii are, though.
"Well Steve, I think it's more like we both had this rich neighbor named Xerox and I broke into his house to steal the TV set and found out that you had already stolen it." - Bill Gate's response to Steve Jobs' accusation of theft.