Author Topic: Star Trek XII news thread possible $$$$spoilers$$$$.  (Read 62142 times)

Offline Razor

• Board Legend
  • All things not of this world
    • View Profile
Star Trek XII news thread possible $$$$spoilers$$$$.
« on: February 24, 2012, 01:47:21 PM »
Since filming has started and we're in the thick of it I think its time for a Trek XII or JJ Trek 2 news topic.

Some pics from set have shown up showing the new villian played by Benedict Cumberbatch (now I dont feel so bad about my english last name) apparently he's a starfleet guy.

http://trekmovie.com/2012/02/24/first-unofficial-location-shots-from-star-trek-sequel-including-cumberbatch-quinto-saldana/

“The boat dipped and swayed and sometimes took on water, but it did not sink; the two brothers had waterproofed it well. I do not know where it finally fetched up, if it ever did; perhaps it reached the sea and sails there forever, like a magic boat in a fairytale. All I know is that it was still afloat and still running on the breast of the flood when it passed the incorporated town limits of Derry, Maine, and there it passes out of this tale forever.” ― Stephen King, It"
High priest in the Cult of J

Offline Fiery Little One

• Distinguished Member
  • Live Long and Prosper
    • View Profile
Re: Star Trek XII news thread possible $$$$spoilers$$$$.
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2012, 03:17:56 PM »
... What are you willing to bet he's playing this timeline's version of Garth?
Open your mind to new possibilities
-Trip(sort of), The Crossing

Offline Razor

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2012, 03:39:51 PM »
I thought they said the character was new to canon.  I wonder if they're using that character from the never-used Star Trek academy script Prince Kalibar.
“The boat dipped and swayed and sometimes took on water, but it did not sink; the two brothers had waterproofed it well. I do not know where it finally fetched up, if it ever did; perhaps it reached the sea and sails there forever, like a magic boat in a fairytale. All I know is that it was still afloat and still running on the breast of the flood when it passed the incorporated town limits of Derry, Maine, and there it passes out of this tale forever.” ― Stephen King, It"

Offline Fiery Little One

• Distinguished Member
  • Live Long and Prosper
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2012, 04:54:12 PM »
Starfleet. Rogue. ~2260's. Garth was just the first one that came to mind.

Offline TNC

• Board Legend
  • Stuck in the middle of nowhere...
    • View Profile
“Battle is not a simulation. It’s blood and screams and funerals.” – Capt. Georgiou – Star Trek: Discovery – “The Vulcan Hello”

Offline Data007

• Eminent Member
  • What? You don't have voices in your head?
    • View Profile
"Titans are the God-Machines of the Adeptus Mechanicus. Imagine a city. Now imagine that city is angry at you, can walk, and has continent leveling weapons aimed at you. And is inhabited by more things that hate you. You have a rough idea of a Titan."

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied chains us all irrevocably." Judge Aaron Satie

New Haven Chronicles

Offline Jimi James

• So Say We All
  • Administrator
  • Distinguished Member
  • Abandon Ship
    • View Profile
    • The New Haven Chronicles
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2012, 12:50:05 PM »
https://www.patreon.com/JonMichaelMay
Help me make art, by joining me on Patreon. Various subscriptions tiers are in place, allowing you to support my addictive art habit for as little as $1 a month.

Offline Razor

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2012, 01:34:54 PM »
You have been warned.

http://trekmovie.com/2012/04/30/major-star-trek-sequel-spoilers-confirmed/

So Cumberbutch is playing Khan...very interesting.

Offline Fiery Little One

• Distinguished Member
  • Live Long and Prosper
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2012, 02:44:28 PM »
Interesting, all of it. The first one raised an eyebrow on my part, though I already have an idea related to that one.

Offline Edymnion

• Veteran Member
  • Stuck in the 80's
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2012, 06:22:27 PM »
I think I'm just getting old, as the first two both have me slightly worried.

1) Cut the apron strings.  This is a new Trek, we had our token passing of the reins from Nimoy to whats-his-face, its time to put Trek Prime to bed.  Let NuTrek sink or swim under it's own power, I worry that they're just going to keep doing Prime cameos over and over to try and bump the box office up a bit by getting classic fans in seats without it actually being important to the story.  I love Trek Prime, but I would rather not see it at all than see it pulled out as a brief dog and pony show just for the sake of trying to get my attention.

2) Really?  I mean, do we really think the new line is mature enough to be able to handle Khan properly?  I mean, only reason he worked so well in Wrath of Khan was because all of the classic trek actors had an entire series and a previous movie under their belts to figure out who their characters were.  I really am worried that they're playing too big of a card too soon with this one.

Offline Xero

• Board Legend
  • Let the big man do his job.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2012, 10:32:14 PM »
I'm hoping they don't kill Kahn off, so they can bring him back. One thing Trek movies have never had was a recuring villian.

This would pretty much be the same Kahn we know from Space Seed, but going up against classic Trek characters with different pasts, and personalities then fromt he Prime Universe. He's going up against a more emotional Spock, and a even more cowboyish Kirk. It'll be interesting to see how Kahn changes because of this.
"Well Steve, I think it's more like we both had this rich neighbor named Xerox and I broke into his house to steal the TV set and found out that you had already stolen it." - Bill Gate's response to Steve Jobs' accusation of theft.

Offline Razor

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2012, 11:18:03 PM »
^^^I was thinking that myself.  I'm a bit more excited about this as it would be interesting to see Khan screwing around with the federation at large as opposed to just the enterprise and her crew (this was the original story for TWOK).  This seems to be the way its going as they've confirmed that klingons will be involved.  I wonder if they'll refer to Khan as an augment.

This is just a weird little wish of mine but I'd like to see some flashbacks to the Eugenics wars perhaps showing Khan during the height of his empire.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2012, 11:21:33 PM by Razor »

Offline TNC

• Board Legend
  • Stuck in the middle of nowhere...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2012, 11:32:19 AM »
I'd rather they have someone other than Kahn but that won't stop me seeing the movie when it comes out.
“Battle is not a simulation. It’s blood and screams and funerals.” – Capt. Georgiou – Star Trek: Discovery – “The Vulcan Hello”

Offline Bernd

• Administrator
  • Distinguished Member
  • Lord of the Bored
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2012, 01:44:45 AM »
To put it bluntly, if Khan is in, I'm out.

People may say I am only seeking reasons not to like the Abramsverse. But with all this "put a fresh spin on old stories" blurb, with gratuitous cameos and homages Abrams is doing everything to keep his new universe small.

We have to accept that today's Star Trek is no different than other action or science fiction franchises that get rebooted every few years because Hollywood relies on cash cows, rather than on creativity. It exploits true or alleged legacies ad nauseam and does not give novel concepts a fair chance.

Offline Xero

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2012, 02:57:19 AM »
I'm willing to bet it's not Kahn. They maybe throwing out miss information. This is a movie with Kurtzman and Orci as producers after all, they love the red herrings while in production.
"Well Steve, I think it's more like we both had this rich neighbor named Xerox and I broke into his house to steal the TV set and found out that you had already stolen it." - Bill Gate's response to Steve Jobs' accusation of theft.

Offline Edymnion

• Veteran Member
  • Stuck in the 80's
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2012, 08:56:37 AM »
I would point out that the production stills we've seen involve Spock fighting the unnamed human (currently pegged as Khan) in front of a brick wall, which would indicate that they are on Earth.  Which means Khan gets back to Earth (or that the crew goes back in time to the Eugenics War).

However, this is the same movie line that thinks the engine room of one of the most advanced pieces of technology ever created looks like the insides of the Budweiser brewery, so I suppose its entirely possible that they're fighting on a spaceship that just happens to use a masonry wall for some gawdawful reason.

Although, now that I've said it out loud, that could make for a pretty damned good movie.  First one already came about through massive abuse of time travel, what if this one does as well?  Send the Enterprise back in time to the Eugenics Wars, and its the fact that the Enterprise crew meddled with history that forced Khan to retreat.  Kirk & Company ended the Eugenics War.

Offline Edymnion

• Veteran Member
  • Stuck in the 80's
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2012, 09:06:01 AM »
You know, the more I think about that idea, the more I like it.

Enterprise for whatever reason goes back in time to the Eugenics Wars and immediately takes a debilitating hit (Khan launches a massive nuke barrage, or since the Klingons are supposed to be in it, maybe they follow Kirk back and the ensuing battle cripples the Enterprise) after Kirk & Company beam down, forcing it to limp out of range to start repairs.  K&C find that the augments have almost won, do some rallying and help push the augments back (with lots of help from their advanced weapons), big climactic final battle with Kirk and Spock tagteaming Khan.  At the end, Khan and the remaining augments tuck tail and retreat into space on board the Botany Bay and escape since the Enterprise is too damaged to pursue.

Basically take First Contact and make it about the Eugenics Wars and klingons instead of first contact and the borg.

Offline Jimi James

• So Say We All
  • Administrator
  • Distinguished Member
  • Abandon Ship
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2012, 09:49:44 AM »
I'd rather they have someone other than Kahn but that won't stop me seeing the movie when it comes out.

Pretty much my sentiments as well.  It really depends on how well they handle it.
Help me make art, by joining me on Patreon. Various subscriptions tiers are in place, allowing you to support my addictive art habit for as little as $1 a month.

Offline Jimi James

• So Say We All
  • Administrator
  • Distinguished Member
  • Abandon Ship
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2012, 03:36:38 PM »
http://trekweb.com/articles/2012/05/25/TrekMovie-Reveals-Return-of-Character-in-Star-Trek-XII-Minor-Spoiler-.shtml
"According to TrekMovie.com, actor Jason Matthew Smith is returning for Star Trek XII. He is reprising his role as "Cupcake." Smith had a few scenes in the 2009 movie, first encountering and getting into a fight with James T. Kirk at the Iowa bar, and later scene as a security officer on board the U.S.S. Enterprise."

Well, I don't need to hear anything else.  Tickets bought for day one.

Offline Razor

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 25, 2012, 03:59:18 PM »
Well Im relieved.

Offline Data007

• Eminent Member
  • What? You don't have voices in your head?
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 25, 2012, 07:27:14 PM »
Christ, I was worried there for a moment.

::)
"Titans are the God-Machines of the Adeptus Mechanicus. Imagine a city. Now imagine that city is angry at you, can walk, and has continent leveling weapons aimed at you. And is inhabited by more things that hate you. You have a rough idea of a Titan."

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied chains us all irrevocably." Judge Aaron Satie

New Haven Chronicles

Offline Jimi James

• So Say We All
  • Administrator
  • Distinguished Member
  • Abandon Ship
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 29, 2012, 02:24:04 PM »
Simon Pegg says the villain is not Khan.

http://trekweb.com/articles/2012/05/29/Simon-Pegg-Denies-Star-Trek-XII-Villain-Rumors-MAJOR-SPOILERS.shtml

As I said before, I hope it's not Khan.  They can do anything they want and to simply pick up some threads from TWOK, is just too easy.  They have the entire Trek universe to pull from with practically no rules now holding them back and the success of the first film already in the bank.  Go for broke and do something that really pushes the envelope. 

Offline Xero

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 29, 2012, 02:31:31 PM »
Called it.

Offline Jimi James

• So Say We All
  • Administrator
  • Distinguished Member
  • Abandon Ship
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 29, 2012, 04:08:25 PM »
I don't think you can officially call it until the movie debuts, or at least until we get some sort of teaser/trailer.  Which could be a few months away.  Comic-con is in July and what better place to debut the first teaser/trailer; though it will likely be intentionally vague.

Offline Jimi James

• So Say We All
  • Administrator
  • Distinguished Member
  • Abandon Ship
    • View Profile