Author Topic: Star Trek XII news thread possible $$$$spoilers$$$$.  (Read 62119 times)

Offline Razor

• Board Legend
  • All things not of this world
    • View Profile
Re: Star Trek XII news thread possible $$$$spoilers$$$$.
« Reply #25 on: May 30, 2012, 02:57:24 AM »
OF COURSE!!!!!!

Anybody else getting an M Bison vibe from that.
“The boat dipped and swayed and sometimes took on water, but it did not sink; the two brothers had waterproofed it well. I do not know where it finally fetched up, if it ever did; perhaps it reached the sea and sails there forever, like a magic boat in a fairytale. All I know is that it was still afloat and still running on the breast of the flood when it passed the incorporated town limits of Derry, Maine, and there it passes out of this tale forever.” ― Stephen King, It"
High priest in the Cult of J

Offline TNC

• Board Legend
  • Stuck in the middle of nowhere...
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 30, 2012, 11:02:38 AM »
Aside from the hat I kinda like them.  I understand the shape of the hat is meant to mimic the Starfleet arrowhead but it just looks... weird.  I would also argue that they could use some color.
“Battle is not a simulation. It’s blood and screams and funerals.” – Capt. Georgiou – Star Trek: Discovery – “The Vulcan Hello”

Offline Bernd

• Administrator
  • Distinguished Member
  • Lord of the Bored
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 02, 2012, 12:14:40 PM »
Those uniforms are absolutely horrible. They look like "Return of the Space Nazis".

Offline Xero

• Board Legend
  • Let the big man do his job.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 02, 2012, 02:33:09 PM »
More Russian then Nazi.
"Well Steve, I think it's more like we both had this rich neighbor named Xerox and I broke into his house to steal the TV set and found out that you had already stolen it." - Bill Gate's response to Steve Jobs' accusation of theft.

Offline Jimi James

• So Say We All
  • Administrator
  • Distinguished Member
  • Abandon Ship
    • View Profile
    • The New Haven Chronicles
« Reply #29 on: June 02, 2012, 03:17:43 PM »
I've heard the Nazi comment, as well as Stalin-ish, and Star Wars several times now, and really I don't see it.  At least not to the extent that I would peg them space Nazi's as opposed to simply saying they share features of many WW II era uniforms.

Regardless, while they're not the best looking uniforms, they're hardly the worst uniforms we've ever seen in Trek.  I think that special award still goes to the TMP uniforms.
https://www.patreon.com/JonMichaelMay
Help me make art, by joining me on Patreon. Various subscriptions tiers are in place, allowing you to support my addictive art habit for as little as $1 a month.

Offline Xero

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 02, 2012, 03:46:38 PM »
What about the TNG Season 1 Admirals' uniform, with all the bedazzeling?

Besides they're just dress uniforms, not duty.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2012, 03:48:19 PM by Xero »
"Well Steve, I think it's more like we both had this rich neighbor named Xerox and I broke into his house to steal the TV set and found out that you had already stolen it." - Bill Gate's response to Steve Jobs' accusation of theft.

Offline Jimi James

• So Say We All
  • Administrator
  • Distinguished Member
  • Abandon Ship
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 02, 2012, 04:25:31 PM »
Yeah, those were bad.  Many of the uniform variations in the early days of TNG were less than impressive.
Help me make art, by joining me on Patreon. Various subscriptions tiers are in place, allowing you to support my addictive art habit for as little as $1 a month.

Offline Bernd

• Administrator
  • Distinguished Member
  • Lord of the Bored
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 02, 2012, 04:54:50 PM »
New uniforms: butt-ugly color and heavy-duty fabric (for a dress uniform?), 20th century military shoulder patches, extremely silly hats like in a Nazi movie. Easily the worst uniform ever seen on Star Trek. I don't like the TOS movie style with the overdone lapels either, but at least they had a unique and overall friendly style. The new Abramsverse uniforms just cry "20th century dictatorship".

Offline Xero

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 02, 2012, 07:34:12 PM »
Patches on the shoulders? You talking about the epaulets?

I wonder where they got the idea for those...
http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/File:Starfleet_officer_at_Orion_colony.jpg

:P

Really, it's not a big deal. It's a dress uniform...

Hell the hat still looks Russian to me. http://www.russianstore.net/Data/dress4.gif
« Last Edit: June 02, 2012, 07:37:47 PM by Xero »

Offline Fiery Little One

• Distinguished Member
  • Live Long and Prosper
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 05, 2012, 04:10:16 PM »
Well, looks like we have our first teaser for this one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a-13Ic19WUs&feature=plcp
Open your mind to new possibilities
-Trip(sort of), The Crossing

Offline Xero

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 05, 2012, 04:13:17 PM »
It's a fan made trailer. Says so right in the discription  :P

Offline Fiery Little One

• Distinguished Member
  • Live Long and Prosper
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 05, 2012, 04:28:45 PM »
Yeah, my bad. Looked convincing enough though.

Offline Jimi James

• So Say We All
  • Administrator
  • Distinguished Member
  • Abandon Ship
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 05, 2012, 08:01:34 PM »
Yeah, apparently a trailer that's been out less than a day and had no official announcement, and is decribed as being fan made, completely faked out the internet.
http://trekmovie.com/2012/06/05/fan-made-star-trek-sequel-teaser-fakes-out-internet/

Offline TNC

• Board Legend
  • Stuck in the middle of nowhere...
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 05, 2012, 08:14:36 PM »
Ha!  :D
“Battle is not a simulation. It’s blood and screams and funerals.” – Capt. Georgiou – Star Trek: Discovery – “The Vulcan Hello”

Offline Edymnion

• Veteran Member
  • Stuck in the 80's
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 08, 2012, 02:37:57 PM »
Was doing something else, idle thoughts percolating in the back of my head.  Swears up and down its not Khan, but we have pictures from the set of them fighting a human in what appears to be starfleet garb.  What other humans were there... then it hit me.

Could it be Captain Garth?

Garth was active and in good standing during Pike's tenure, went mad after a war injury, attempted genocide before being thrown in an asylum.  That could make for a decent movie.  Just change it around so that he was injured during Nero's attack, and change the target of his genocidal tendancies from a throw away race to something like the Romulans (because Nero was a Romulan), and there we go.  We've got an insane starfleet captain, possibly still with his ship and crew (who might not have mutinied against orders to kill Romulans), a living legend in his own time, and a ragtag bunch of semi-raw recruits at the helm of the Enterprise to stop him from starting another Federation/Romulan war.

Offline Fiery Little One

• Distinguished Member
  • Live Long and Prosper
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 08, 2012, 03:35:21 PM »
I did speculate that he might be Garth right when we first saw him for pretty much the same reasons you gave. I just didn't think up a story for why he was doing what he might end up doing in this one.

Offline Razor

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 06, 2012, 03:46:54 PM »
Not really movie news but a picture of Hasbro's Kreo starship Enterprise.

http://www.figures.com/forums/news/15970-new-star-trek-kre-o.html

Im really looking forward to their Star Trek toys.
“The boat dipped and swayed and sometimes took on water, but it did not sink; the two brothers had waterproofed it well. I do not know where it finally fetched up, if it ever did; perhaps it reached the sea and sails there forever, like a magic boat in a fairytale. All I know is that it was still afloat and still running on the breast of the flood when it passed the incorporated town limits of Derry, Maine, and there it passes out of this tale forever.” ― Stephen King, It"

Offline Fiery Little One

• Distinguished Member
  • Live Long and Prosper
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 06, 2012, 05:00:39 PM »
Interesting, but I'll wait to see what they do for their mainline stuff.

Offline Razor

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 07, 2012, 11:52:04 AM »
The Guys commenting on this thing at trekmovie are aare that its a lego type toy right.  Its not meant to be an accurate model or anything?

Offline Fiery Little One

• Distinguished Member
  • Live Long and Prosper
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 07, 2012, 05:23:00 PM »
If I were to let my cynical side out, I would use the phrase 'lego knock off.'

Offline Razor

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: July 07, 2012, 09:05:41 PM »
^^^For all intents and purposes it is.  Kre-o is hasbro's brand owned leo type toy.  hasbro currently has the rights to the toys.  The way people at trekmovie are going you'd think paramount did it on purpose to annoy them?

Offline Jimi James

• So Say We All
  • Administrator
  • Distinguished Member
  • Abandon Ship
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 09, 2012, 07:54:26 AM »
Karl Urban has apparently given up the villain in a recent interview.  It could be disinformation like the Khan rumors likely were; Abrams is all sneaky like that.
http://trekweb.com/articles/2012/07/09/Karl-Urban-Reveals-to-SFX-the-Identity-of-the-Star-Trek-XII-Villain-Played-by-Benedict-Cumberbatch-SPOILERS.shtml

He claims it's Gary Mitchell

Comic Con is this week, so it's entirely possible that something could get released, in the form of a teaser, posters, or other promo material.  If anyone hears anything, be sure to post a link.

Offline Razor

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 09, 2012, 08:23:01 PM »
^^^I think they've got a misinformation compaign going on with us.

Offline Bernd

• Administrator
  • Distinguished Member
  • Lord of the Bored
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 10, 2012, 05:50:40 AM »
^^^I think they've got a misinformation compaign going on with us.

Yes, definitely. Considering that the shooting is finished, Karl Urban ought to know what he is talking of.

Offline Edymnion

• Veteran Member
  • Stuck in the 80's
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 10, 2012, 06:51:38 AM »
Eh, I think I would be okay with it actually being him.

He's definitely not someone that came to mind when I was trying to think of who it could be, but that fits a lot better than Khan given the production stills.  It would also explain how what appears to be a human can have a Vulcan in a one handed choke grip without having his hand ripped off his arm.

Give the state of special effects now, and a better understanding of how to run a character like him, I think I would really like watching that movie.