Author Topic: ST- Universal  (Read 10648 times)

Offline J.Grey

• View Profile
ST- Universal
« on: March 03, 2012, 04:50:33 AM »
Hi

Well long story but I’m back writing in the ST Universe. My new story is called Universal, the reason for that is the universal means everything, everyone. The story is about normal people, ordinary men and women who happen to live on the outskirts of the Star Trek Universe. There are no capital ships, no ranking officers and nobody willing to die out of a sense of duty.
The first series is going to be a 7 part story arc. As you can see the first episode, “The Racer” is already up. It helps to introduce the main themes of this round of chapters but I don’t want to say much more than in case I ruin the story. The next episode is “The Tourist”, that should come up pretty soon and I’m working hard on the next chapters. It will have all new characters and like every episode it will be a self contained story. You’ll be able to read them all in any order and the finale should still make sense.
I’m experimenting with slightly different writing styles in each episode, I want to find new ways to relate the stories in terms of character focus and narratives. This is purely for my own sanity. I’m still producing illustrations and where possible, new ship designs which is one of my favourite things to do. Because of my current circumstances I may not be able to use as many models and props as before but I am working on some.
Freehand drawing and modelling sends you off in totally different directions. Modelling is more restrictive because you’re working with physical objects and the progress is slower so you’re constantly examining your work and changing ideas. Drawing is faster so you’re basically putting ideas straight down onto paper. I find that hand-drawn ships are more varied because you’re less restricted but models tend to look far more realistic and are more in-keeping with what you’d actually see on screen because those models are restricted by the studio design process.
On this thread I will be dropping the odd preview of illustrations and explanations for some of the crazier sounding ideas. Also I welcome any feedback on both the stories, illustrations and designs.
I was going to put up an illustration of the civilian cruiser as a preview but the story is now posted and the ship is there in the illustrations because Bernd works faster than Warp speed.
It’s an odd design, it’s a purely civil ship with no tactical array. It’s meant to look fragile and vulnerable but also I wanted to orient the vessel differently so it doesn’t look StarFleet but is still recognisable as Federation. In-Universe the explanation of the secondary hull is that the warp-core is oversized and runs at a lower than usual power, this makes it far more reliable and means that maintenance time is vastly reduced, the problem is the power is far less flexible and takes a longer time to initiate, no problem on a civil ship but would be a major issue on a Starfleet vessel. It is different but I hope you like it. I’ll drop some more details as I get time.

http://fiction.ex-astris-scientia.org/index-universal.htm

« Last Edit: March 04, 2012, 08:47:11 AM by J.Grey »

Offline J.Grey

• View Profile
Re: ST- Universal
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2012, 04:35:02 AM »
So in the last chapter I'm introducing a Runabout. I like the Runabout and it's easier to write about because it's recognisable so you can keep the description to the minimum and it's not a bad looking design. It also has the benefit of having a model available that is a decent size and looks accurate. Anyway I don't like to put anything in my stories just as they are so I'm changing this one so it fits the story and looks more interesting in the illustrations. I'm torn between two possibilities.
I have the model and i'm considering two different directions. The first is to have the ship looking battered. Missing panels showing details, bodged repairs and some hotrod upgrades like bigger warp-core and extra bits in key positions, essentially a Star Trek Millenium Falcon. The other possiblity is to make a replacement for the Danube, a next generation upgrade. Maybe even a Danube refit. I have ideas for the design, smaller, snug fitting nacelles, more streamlining and move the impulse engines somewhere logical, ie the rear of the roof.
Any other ideas are also welcome so any opinions?

Offline J.Grey

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2012, 10:15:10 AM »
Well, I just arrived home although home is a relative concept for someone with nowhere to live. By home, in this instance I mean Bangkok whre everything is just so much better than london that I've opted to live there for now even though I've officially split with my fiancee whose brother pulled a handgun on me and nearly shot himself in the head.
So... I had some time to think on the flight (too much time) and i've made a decision about every further design I put into Universal and any other work of Trek I write.
No more nacelles. EVER! I'm sick of engines on sticks, ice-cream belongs on sticks, arguable meat products but not warp drive modules. From now on all of my Federation designs will be missing nacelles. They will still obey the laws of ship design, I just think it's time to do better. I have early ideas such as an engineering module, a lower hull that incorperates all the engineering equipment, core, deflector and warp coils. I have a design for a freighter which uses a warp-wing and a few other designs for retractable modules and hull extensions. All that is fine, and it should push designs in new directions. Just no more engines on sticks.

Offline J.Grey

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2012, 03:26:36 AM »
Still ridiculously Jet-lagged for some reason but I have found somewhere to live for the next few months which is a good thing. So, tonight I'm going to start on the Runabout. I'm still undecided about what to do with it but I'm leaning towards a new class, an updated Runabout with names after mountains on Earth. The class name will be Everest because I rode around the Himalayas last year and it's just an amazingly beautiful place with cheap beer, excellent food and unbelievable strong legal hash.
So... briefly it will be the nose of the Runabout with new windows which will change the entire character of the ship and the impulse engines will move to the top rear with the power train on top being feed for them. The warp core will be built into the floor for easier access. The sides will be slightly expanded for increased capacity and she'll have a slightly longer hull too. At the rear she'll have a removable module instead of the middle and the as I'm no longer using nacelles the warp coils will be mounted along the sides of the hull and I might make them retractable because... it's cool to have retractable engines.
I have been suggested a new idea to drive the story but someone I can only assume was smoking something upon which the law frowns but it's a great idea and I'm going to get it in there to begin adding it as a sub-plot. I don't want to give it away here and blow the finale. I was looking for an extra plot thread, something a bit different inspired by being back in London with an old mate and getting drunk for three weeks solid and watching DVD's of the old original series of The Twilight Zone (which is awesome, by the way.) So tonight I'm going to start working on the Runabout and have started laying down the plot for the next chapter. The next one is "The Dock Worker". All the stories are going to be presented in a different way, just to challenge myself to be interesting. So Dock worker is told backwards in increasing intervals from the end of the timeline to the beginning which is the end of the story. Understand? No... its not easy to figure the details as I have to build understanding backwards. When you read it, it'll be simple enough but writing it is a whole different thing.
In other news... I'm in negotiation about a secondary related project. I'm thinking about starting a little garage model company, models being another passion of mine. (Plastic models, the other kind don't belong locked in a garage... that's what basements are for.) I've been chatting with a guy who makes "masters" about the possibility of bringing some of the ships from Renegade and Universal to life as resin models. Obviously the Corinthian, Pulsar and Romulan BOP are favourites for converting to a 3d format but I'm also working on a huge Federation freighter to represent as a 1-2500 scale ship among others. Bearing in mind Renegade was written a decade ago the models will need to be slightly interpreted but I like the idea of being able to sell my own designs to fellow modellers. If anyone out there thinks this is a great idea let me know, if you think it's a terrible idea let me know that too.

Offline J.Grey

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2012, 01:31:51 AM »
...so... I've been working on other stories lately. I have a professional editor working with me now and my day job is preparing novels for internet publishing. I personally feel that the printed word is dying off now so I've decided to change tack. I've finished up a novel, "The Box" into a first draft. Not many laughs in that one, it's a grim story of androids and prostitution in a near future dystopian world of slavery and corruption as the human race teeters on the brink of extinction. Also there are drugs that makes heads implode. So that should be ready for sale in a few weeks, give or take the work of my editor who lives in Japan where, sadly they've had a minor tsunami. NO real damage this time, I hear.
So I'm stalling on the next Universal story. I just can't find a missing piece. I have the tale but it needs an element that I feel is missing. There's a tie to the greater story arc which when you finish will make you go, "ahhhhh" but the story alone is still a bit dry, it needs a bit more to make it work. I'm hunting for that missing element. For inspiration I'm watching old Twilight zone episodes.
I started work on the Runabout from the final chapter. Well, it's mentioned in the Racer too. It's obviously the ship that he's going to collect. It's going to be an "Everest class" vessel, the proposed replacement for the Danube. So far I've redesigned the window area and cut away the ceiling. If anyone wants to follow the progress there's a thread on another site, I'll post a link.

Offline J.Grey

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2012, 11:16:12 PM »
Nobody is replying so this is becoming like a blog. Well, it helps to be able to vent my ideas so that's ok. The rust has been kicked out, I've found the missing ingredient and the Dock Worker is under way with an ending that makes sense and enough meat on the bones to make it a proper story. I'm already a third of the way into it so it should be with the editor this weekend which works well because I have to crack on with my next day-job novel. This one isn't so heavy, it has dark themes but there's room for humour so it will be a little more fun to read (and write).
Illustrating Dock worker is going to be hard. There are no ships in it and designing ships is my favourite part. So the illustrations will all be inside a dock and traditionally, hand drawn stuff looks dreadful once it's be coloured in paintshop. I need a new style with this one, maybe comic book, or just black and white... suggestions are welcome...

Offline J.Grey

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2012, 12:21:20 AM »
Just heard back from the editor. Thumbs up except for some punctuation. The good news is the story works on the levels I wanted it to work on. I don't want to give away too much but this one is a sci-fi story about a real-world issue going on all around us right now. In fact the inspiration is from things I experienced while I was travelling over the middle east.
The idea for the presentation of this story is a comment, a really nasty one, made by Worf in an episode of TNG. It always stuck in my mind and now that line has been padded out into a story. Obviously there's a bit more going on. Each episode of Universal is told in a different way. Racer was told essentially straight in one big flashback, Tourist was three seperate short stories about one thing told from different perspectives. This one is told in a new way but there's no such thing as genuinely new any more so at least it's a variation on a theme that I've not seen done before. It also underlines two major plot points of the greater story arc. The points are very subtle and I wonder if anyone will pick up on them.
Anyway, this story essentially is the most pedestrian so far, it doesn't have any action. It's purely a character study with a minor mystery attached.
So I reckon it will be ready in about 2 weeks. That's more or less on schedule. The next one will be "The lady." So far I only have a skeleton in place about what's happening. I know the lady is a reporter and is investigating the bigger plot point of the series. The title is deliberately ambiguous because she's going to travelling on a private vessel, a ship based on the Constitution class, the original "lady."

Offline Bernd

• Administrator
  • Distinguished Member
  • Lord of the Bored
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2012, 05:34:36 AM »
I like the idea of a garage company, because you have some designs with great potential. Well, perhaps you should consider retaining the nacelles at least on the older ships though. The newer ones may lose their nacelles because of a "new understanding of warp field dynamics" (which could be mentioned in a story too).

Offline J.Grey

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2012, 07:30:37 AM »
Well when I talk about losing the nacelles I'm more talking about shaking up the old format which is getting a little bit tired now. Take the Pulsar, that didn't have nacelles in the classic sense, that's kind of what I'm thinking. I won't break the Roddenbury rules, just find new waits to stick to them.
I do reckon though that realistically warp field technology is already starting to leave the rules behind. Canon evidence of Defiant and Voyager, Freedom class, etc means that two nacelles in 50% line of sight, fully visible from the front is probably already out of date. An even worse example  is the last movies, the Holoship, the scout and the Argo. They simply ignore the rules completely.
I'm keen on the garage company thing too, I'm still trying to find a reliable caster. I'm thinking of sticking with established scales, ie, 1-1000, 1-650, 1-350. The Corinthian would be around 5 inches i would guess in 650 scale but frankly would be a horrible kit to make masters of.
It's not going to happen soon and certainly wouldn't be a money-spinner but it could be fun and that's what it's all about!

Offline J.Grey

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2012, 03:11:38 AM »
The Dock worker has been hammered out... finally. It was a real effort to make this one work. You'll see why when you read it, I guess. I'm working on the illustrations now but they're taking forever too. Figures are always hell to draw, they never, never look good. Well anyway, here are two preview shots for people who like spoilers. One is the Dock worker looking out from the dock, the next is a more detailed pic of the station. Neither are finished yet.

http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg15/scaled.php?server=15&filename=jack0001copynnj.jpg&res=medium

http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg837/scaled.php?server=837&filename=imgcopycopy.jpg&res=medium

I should have the whole thing done in a few days now, ready for upload next week sometime... late next week some time.

Offline Bernd

• Administrator
  • Distinguished Member
  • Lord of the Bored
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2012, 04:41:42 AM »
Cool. Looking forward to seeing the result.

Offline J.Grey

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2012, 06:26:13 AM »
Well, this episode is the ultimate test of the concept. It's a Star Trek story in name only, it could just as easily be told in modern-day London or France 1000 years ago. I think that's a good thing, it was pretty intentional. This one is a very basic, pared down story. It's little more than 2 people talking to one another, of course to make it interesting there's an event to be solved and the way the story is presented is different too. It was incredibly difficult to plot and write it this way but I think when it reads it will hardly notice, maybe raise an eyebrow but that's it.
The point though is more the concept behind the story which is something expertly handled in TOS but was starting to look wrong by TNG. In fact this story is inspired by a dubious comment Worf made in an episode of TNG, "Sins of the Father" I think it was called whereas overt comments were made in TOS which were decades ahead of their time. I don't want to ruin it by going into details.
Anyway, if this story works then it proves the idea of ordinary people in the Trek universe working as an entertaining story medium. At least that's my story... and I'm sticking to it!
Next is "The Lady." I confess I haven't started thinking about that one yet. I think I might stick in a Lesbian. Homosexuality is the last taboo never dealt with on Star Trek so it might be fun to address the issue, even slightly. This one should be interesting, it's actually the mid-way point. The whole story-arc is only 7 chapters long so this one is half way. I've been hinting at the final plot development and there are massive hints in the Dock Worker. My editor,Coal suggested the idea and we thrashed out the concept between us and I have to say, I love it. It's so different I feel absolutely confident that I can put massive clues all the way through and nobody will catch on to what's coming. Cheers, Coal!

Offline Data007

• Eminent Member
  • What? You don't have voices in your head?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2012, 12:27:23 PM »
In my opinion, that's the best way to tell a story. Setting is like clothing for a plot, no matter how well you dress something up, you've still got to deal with the person/plot.
"Titans are the God-Machines of the Adeptus Mechanicus. Imagine a city. Now imagine that city is angry at you, can walk, and has continent leveling weapons aimed at you. And is inhabited by more things that hate you. You have a rough idea of a Titan."

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied chains us all irrevocably." Judge Aaron Satie

New Haven Chronicles

Offline J.Grey

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2012, 08:48:27 PM »
I don't entirely disagree. Normally I start with a story I want to tell and then the characters start to flesh themselves out. Settings are usually the last consideration and less important that people think. For instance, I heard then while plotting DS9 they revisited every TNG script and decided all of them could have worked on a space station setting instead of a ship. I'm not sure I agree entirely with that.
All of my Trek stories would work equally well in my personal writing universe and probably vice-versa to a lesser degree. This story would work anywhere, the themes are universal (no pun intended, even a little bit).

Offline J.Grey

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2012, 08:53:04 PM »
Just a minor update. Winding up some work done on a novel I'm working on today and then switching focus to the next Universal story. I still don't have a story yet so that should be interesting. The novel I'm working on is coming along, the first two chapters are done, the 3rd is coming along. It's set in my own universe but Star Trek does got an honourable mention and Star Wars gets in there too. I might add silly quotes from multiple other sci-fi sources as jokes too.
Anyway... I have some time today so should finish up with the Dock Worker. I'm quite pleased with that, i'm looking forward to seeing it online. I should have it with Bernd this afternoon (my afternoon). It should be online in a few days, he works fast.

Offline J.Grey

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2012, 02:24:28 AM »
Well, the files are sent! Uncle Bernd has the Dock Worker ready to post at some point this week, I would guess. I look forward to getting some feedback on that one. Ultimately it will help to prove the concept of short stories about normal people in the Trek universe as this one is just a simple story of the experiences of a guy working on a cargo dock. You can't get much more mundane than that!
This is the first story I've written that doesn't have a single space-ship in it. The illustrations were a pig because faces and figures always look lousy. Well I put in some extra effort and I hope what we end up with looks ok. I miss drawing ships though, I like to put in as many as possible. With that in mind the next two stories both revolve around two new craft. I need a cruiser and a cargo vessel. Now I want them to be instantly recognisable as Trek designs but new as well. With that in mind, here are a couple of concepts. The one on the left is a cargo ship. Too often people have cylindrical pods so i though it might be fun to extend the saucer into the cargo housing. The rear section will probably undergo some changes to make it totally self-contained and removable. I like the idea of having the rear as a tractor and the "saucer" as a giant trailer that benefits from the design of being circular. For something this large the integrity would be better supported by this shape.
The second one is a civil cruiser. Now I wanted it to be large and I wanted to do something new. Well how about having 2 saucers. There is an over and under saucer section with the engineering stowed in the middle. Warp nacelles are fixed to the sides with extremely short pylons and trail backwards. There is no cargo or shuttle area in the center but one at the back of each saucer. This makes more sense to me. I actually like the idea of the bridge being central but Roddenbury's rule requires it to be at the top. I might bend this rule and move it to the middle engineering section. Unlike a military vessel there's no need to have the saucers powered or self-sufficient so I like the idea that if they're jettisoned in an emergency the central hull is completely self-reliant.
Well... at least they're different.

http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg823/scaled.php?server=823&filename=img0002ws.jpg&res=medium

Sorry for the poor image. My borrowed scanner is all in Thai. I have to guess how to work it.

Offline J.Grey

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2012, 08:43:43 PM »
Well it's up. The demon of the Dock Worker is officially exorcised and I can move along to the fresh new demon of the Lady. I humbly admit I don't even have a story for that one yet although I do have the beginnings of some ideas about a format.
Well now it's up you can see why Dock Worker gave me so many difficulties. For instance it's told essentially backwards although with a new twist. It begins on an event that requires explanation and resolution, well how do you resolve the ending of something when the story then proceeds backwards for 6 and a half years? I considered cheating and moving the finale to the present but that was cheating too much. I dropped in enough subtle pointers to make sure that anyone paying attention should figure out the beginning from the comments at the ending. I'm pretty pleased with the way it came out. Look out for the clues of the bigger plot picture. There are two major plots in this story arc, both are tied closely into this story on the cargo dock floor. I'd be interested if anyone can see the end coming.
To help me recover from my lack of starship design I've already started cooking up some new ships. Artwork to follow here. The next story is set on a ship so I have at least one to design.
Enjoy the story.

I have a visa run this week. That means I have to smuggle myself past the Cambodian border to a casino tomorrow on a service bus or get thrown out of the country I'm living in. All good fun! This weekend I'm going to take a trip to the prostitution capital of Asia to meet an airline pilot who woke up one morning and just quietly left the house, bought a bike and spent the next 5 years riding a motorcycle round the world.
Anyway... It means I can't start anything else, not really in the mindset for it but I've been cracking on with the new story and i have a plot and the characters. I also have a new way to present the story which, to my knowledge hasn't been done before. All I have to do now is work in a way to add loads of ships just for the purpose of adding loads of ships. I'm designing one which is based on the Merchantman, one of my favourite designs. I have no idea where to add it though so we'll have to see what I come up with for that.
Anyway, I am going to start writing today. Always fun!
« Last Edit: April 04, 2012, 10:37:29 PM by J.Grey »

Offline J.Grey

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2012, 04:09:18 AM »
Well the new story is coming along very nicely, considering I've spent most of the day insulting people on Facebook and hitting mosquitoes with a bug zapper. I'm about 7 pages in, (they usually run to 20) so a damn good start. It more light hearted than the the Dock Worker but that's good. it needs to be, I need a bit of balance. Some of the others have been pretty heavy so this smooths things out a bit. More importantly it has opportunities to show new ships. So far I'm up to the main passenger cruiser, a second cruiser transferring people, 2 Starfleet cruisers and maybe 2 more. So far!
I think I'm going to use the double saucer design as the primary ship for this episode.

Thoughts?

Offline J.Grey

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2012, 02:02:17 AM »
Well I've had a busy week. I had to dash to Cambodia for a visa refreshment. That was not fun, every border is swamped with corrupt officials and this one was no different. I've been trying to buy a scooter too. So much easier said than done. Still...

I have had a little time and have completed the first draft of "The lady." It's very different to the other stories, and again, told in a different way. This is the polar opposite of Renegade with the sweeping action and grand themes. It's even smaller than the Dock Worker! This is a nice, simple story and far more lighthearted than my usual "Universal" stuff. In my own universe my writing is far more comedy biased so this one has more amusing themes in it but stops short of being an outright comedy.
To make an interesting juxtaposition the illustrations will be the complete opposite of the story, they'll be bold and dramatic. Attached is a small transport. The image is far from finished but it's based loosely on the Merchantman from ST3. More to follow.

http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg7/scaled.php?server=7&filename=imgdrm.jpg&res=landing

Offline J.Grey

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2012, 12:27:59 AM »
Well the latest story is in the hands of the editor. This one is more fun and a bit more lighthearted. It's certainly a departure. Like all Universal stories I wanted to introduce a character and tell their story in a new and different way. I hope I've achieved that but it's up to the audience to decide. It's been tough to write, I've had a very difficult time in Thailand lately. No end of visa hassles and I had to fly to Phnom Pehn in Cambodia. I loved it there though, it's like a frontier town, nothing like the sophistication of Bangkok.
Anyway... the story should be ready in another week or so, give or take.

Offline J.Grey

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 11, 2012, 10:09:46 PM »
well development if this story has taken a hell of a lot longer than expected but Bernd now has it and the artwork is almost read so it should go up early next week i would think. A lot of work has gone into this story between myself and my editor. Luckily we have a very similar mindset so we bounce ideas well off of one another. The eventual outcome has been a far stronger story than I could have come up with alone. It's been a lot of fun to write which is why we bounced so many ideas, we really struggled to get this one just right and every line of dialogue has been carefully planned. There are intricacies that I don't think are going to come over easily so the story is layered and readers should be able to get what they want from it.
So this story will introduce, "The Lady." It was originally going to be set aboard an aging Constitution class vessel that was never refitted, just downgraded for use as a commercial transport. That didn't happen so the name is slightly inappropriate but that shouldn't matter. Nobody ever commented that "Renegade" didn't have any renegades in it. Well, as anyone reading this will know, each story is told in a different way so this one has a unique approach to introducing a character, ie, she isn't in the story. Also the manner in which the story is written is a bit of a departure. I hope people like it...

Offline J.Grey

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 06, 2012, 04:48:17 AM »
Well myself and my editor, Coal decided that the concept of Rob and Dave was a good one. As of today I just finished the first draft of an entire novel based on "those two idiots." Obviously I can't publish something set in the Trek universe so we've transplanted them to my own literary creation and have written a how they met story. Writing that fast was exhausting, it mean getting out of bed and writing until exhaustion set in but the draft is good and there are lines that even make me laugh. The characters have changed a bit, we see more of the depths and motivations and they actually get to leave their cabin this time.
It's a more outright comedy that the Lady story. This is a universe where travellers are sent to discuss their arrangements with a sentient brick wall, fine cognac has just a hint of elephant and thanks to the discovery of anti-alcohol, Ireland is now the capital of the known universe. Here are some sneak previews.

A spider crawled by them. Rob took two beers from the harness strapped to its back and handed one to Dave.

“You're under arrest.” Granger growled. “Give me an excuse to pull this trigger.”
“You had better to do as he says, he's got a gun!” Dave shouted.

“I'm not going to lie to you, I usually date attractive women, not intelligent ones and I'm a little nervous.” He told her.
“You don't get many second dates, do you?”

“I think she's dead!” Ronnie from passenger services pointed to the girl. She was hanging from the ceiling by a rope around her neck. Her throat had been cut, she'd been disembowelled, shot three times with an incinerator-pistol, stabbed, beaten mercilessly around the head with a blunt instrument, her wrists had been slit and there was a bottle of poison near her feet and a gigantic poisonous spider crawling up the opposite wall.
“I think this might be murder.”

“Actually I was hoping for a favour.” Phil told him.
“Sure.” Dave shrugged and began fumbling through his back pocket. “No problem, let me just get my price list.”

“My friend and I would like a mug of your cheapest beer and two straws, please. Also I'd like a photograph of your wife and a bucket to throw up in.” Dave told him.

Offline J.Grey

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 21, 2014, 07:58:01 AM »
Well, we're back. Myself and Coal, my editor are working on a lot of new ideas. The Adventurers is up, a story about a couple of people exploring in tiny hand-made pods.
So far, all of the stories are told in a different way, this one is no different, it's told as a blog from each of the two people's different perspectives.
We're almost finished with the next story. "The Smuggler" is coming along nicely but might be changed to "The Inquisitor" is a darker story picking up right where the last one leaves off and following the tale of the discovered derelict ship. We have a very nasty character in the mix, something I don't think has ever been done before. I hope he's a villain we can use again, he's very fun to write.
After this, we only have one more story left to finish up the current story arc (although we're hoping to get a Christmas special in there too).
We're planning a second story arc that carries from the first. We're both more interested in taking this into a new direction.
We're going to change the setting for a collection of stories on a pair of ships, a heavy shuttle crew and a larger transport ship, two crews that don't mix and certainly don't fit into Federation standards. We'll keep on exploring the fringes of Federation life and the characters that live there and avoiding Starfleet officers as far as possible so we can see the other side of the coin.
We've got a design for the new ship, something a little different from what's been seen on screen and we're working on the heavy shuttle. Hopefully it will look pretty cool.

http://pic100.picturetrail.com/VOL1648/10621621/23674626/410228814.jpg

We've got some great character ideas to flesh out and some ideas that will hopefully be fun to read. Comments are welcome.

Offline Bernd

• Administrator
  • Distinguished Member
  • Lord of the Bored
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 31, 2014, 05:41:42 PM »
The heavy shuttle looks interesting. Looking forward to reading the next story.

Offline J.Grey

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 02, 2014, 04:26:19 AM »
Well now you have, I hope you liked it.  ;)
We're working on a Christmas special now, Scrooge in space, I think. It's looking like "The Barman" might be a two part story that will lead into the next series.