Author Topic: Registration Temporarily Disabled  (Read 210013 times)

Offline Makaveli

• Administrator
  • Board Legend
  • N.I.G.G.A.
    • View Profile
Registration Temporarily Disabled
« on: March 09, 2012, 09:36:28 AM »
Hey all, most fo you that are still active have probably noticed the recent flood of spambots and the huge number of new members joining up... Since apparently we popped up on someones radar I have decided to, atleast temporarily, disable new member registration. We are going to look into a way to stop all these spambots from joining up so that we don't have to go back to admin activation of all accounts.

Questions, comments, ideas... post em here.
N.I.G.G.A. - Never Ignorant Gettin' Goals Acomplished
"If a man hasn't discovered something he will die for, he isn't fit to live." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.
CIDvision :: the breen war :: trekonline

Offline Torlek

• Veteran Member
  • Burn it all down and start over.
    • View Profile
Re: Registration Temporarily Disabled
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2012, 10:40:40 AM »
I'm guessing there's no easy way to integrate captchas into the registration screens?
The battle of modern programming is one waged between the engineers trying to craft a bigger,better idiot-proof program and the universe trying to breed bigger, better idiots.  So far, the universe is winning.

Offline Makaveli

• Administrator
  • Board Legend
  • N.I.G.G.A.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2012, 11:00:47 AM »
They are already there, apparently they aren't complex enough to stop spambots.
"If a man hasn't discovered something he will die for, he isn't fit to live." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.

Offline Flagg

• Board Legend
  • Gotham's Reckoning
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2012, 01:43:58 PM »
Might want to try a random simple math problem or piece of Trek trivia.

Offline Data007

• Eminent Member
  • What? You don't have voices in your head?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2012, 01:46:16 PM »
That would be largely appropriate for our user base.
"Titans are the God-Machines of the Adeptus Mechanicus. Imagine a city. Now imagine that city is angry at you, can walk, and has continent leveling weapons aimed at you. And is inhabited by more things that hate you. You have a rough idea of a Titan."

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied chains us all irrevocably." Judge Aaron Satie

New Haven Chronicles

Offline Razor

• Board Legend
  • All things not of this world
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2012, 04:36:19 PM »
I like the random trek trivia idea.
“The boat dipped and swayed and sometimes took on water, but it did not sink; the two brothers had waterproofed it well. I do not know where it finally fetched up, if it ever did; perhaps it reached the sea and sails there forever, like a magic boat in a fairytale. All I know is that it was still afloat and still running on the breast of the flood when it passed the incorporated town limits of Derry, Maine, and there it passes out of this tale forever.” ― Stephen King, It"
High priest in the Cult of J

Offline Bernd

• Administrator
  • Distinguished Member
  • Lord of the Bored
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2012, 05:41:14 PM »
I believe that the spammers who keep registering (10-20 every day since about last October) are all human. They pass the Captchas as well as the e-mail validation.

I hope there is a way to include a simple trivia question. At EAS it works very well.

Offline Makaveli

• Administrator
  • Board Legend
  • N.I.G.G.A.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2012, 06:01:48 PM »
I don't know how easy that would be to actually implement, the forum software is somewhat restrictive and I don't know if I have the coding skill or understanding of the internal SMF mechanics to modify it that way. I might have to look at forum mods and see if there is something like that available.

To let everyone know, the forum is probably going to be updated to the new version of SMF in the next little while, I'm hoping that that will at least help us out a little... The down side is that our current skin is not compatible for the new software so it may be a little while before you see it up and running like it is right now.

Offline masterarminas

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2012, 06:46:28 PM »
Thankfully, I got signed up and a member before you took it down!  I've enjoyed the site, even with the spam-bots attack!

Master Arminas

Offline Jimi James

• So Say We All
  • Administrator
  • Distinguished Member
  • Abandon Ship
    • View Profile
    • The New Haven Chronicles
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2013, 11:37:41 PM »
So our hosting service is in the process of upgrading their hardware and moving between the old and new servers.  Hopefully that's the cause of everything being white and that it sorts itself out soon.
https://www.patreon.com/JonMichaelMay
Help me make art, by joining me on Patreon. Various subscriptions tiers are in place, allowing you to support my addictive art habit for as little as $1 a month.

Offline Jimi James

• So Say We All
  • Administrator
  • Distinguished Member
  • Abandon Ship
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2013, 08:54:52 AM »
So, are you all still seeing the white background or is it just me?
Help me make art, by joining me on Patreon. Various subscriptions tiers are in place, allowing you to support my addictive art habit for as little as $1 a month.

Offline Bernd

• Administrator
  • Distinguished Member
  • Lord of the Bored
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2013, 09:14:20 AM »
I looks like the CSS link is defunct. I'll see what I can do.

Offline Jimi James

• So Say We All
  • Administrator
  • Distinguished Member
  • Abandon Ship
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2013, 07:17:48 AM »
Has anyone had trouble getting to SCN, specially slow load times to the point where the site times outs?  Stoo is having this problem, which is why he hasn't been around and I wanted to check to see if anyone else has had it.

Offline Fiery Little One

• Distinguished Member
  • Live Long and Prosper
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2013, 01:20:20 PM »
Nope, everything seems fine on my end.
Open your mind to new possibilities
-Trip(sort of), The Crossing

Offline TNC

• Board Legend
  • Stuck in the middle of nowhere...
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2013, 09:24:00 PM »
No problems on my end either.  Although last night it wouldn't load and said something about server maintenance or something.
“Battle is not a simulation. It’s blood and screams and funerals.” – Capt. Georgiou – Star Trek: Discovery – “The Vulcan Hello”

Offline Razor

• Board Legend
  • All things not of this world
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2013, 10:33:23 PM »
Im fine.
“The boat dipped and swayed and sometimes took on water, but it did not sink; the two brothers had waterproofed it well. I do not know where it finally fetched up, if it ever did; perhaps it reached the sea and sails there forever, like a magic boat in a fairytale. All I know is that it was still afloat and still running on the breast of the flood when it passed the incorporated town limits of Derry, Maine, and there it passes out of this tale forever.” ― Stephen King, It"
High priest in the Cult of J

Offline Makaveli

• Administrator
  • Board Legend
  • N.I.G.G.A.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2013, 12:04:59 PM »
About a week or three ago I had a problem trying to get onto the site, just sat there and eventually just timed out. Other than that one or two little glitches where I got an error message from the server with page cannot be found.

Offline Makaveli

• Administrator
  • Board Legend
  • N.I.G.G.A.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2014, 08:27:48 PM »
Okay, its taken over two years but registration of new members is now open. Assuming the new security works and keeps away the bots and spammers we will be leaving it at the current setting which requires new members to activate their accounts via a link emailed to them.

Offline Starlost

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2014, 06:49:19 PM »
well it works.....I don't know how many newbie you got aside from me......
Life is a sexually transmitted social disease