Author Topic: Top 75 Spaceships in Movies and TV  (Read 3583 times)

Offline TNC

• Board Legend
  • Stuck in the middle of nowhere...
    • View Profile
Top 75 Spaceships in Movies and TV
« on: April 11, 2012, 01:02:45 PM »
Found this list on another forum and thought I'd post it here for discussion.

Some of their choices are a little strange.  For example they put the dropship from Aliens as number 1.  Really?  I mean it is neat looking but how does it deserve to be number 1?  They have the Colonial Viper and the Cylon raider but no Galactica or Basestar(ship).

Some other choices they made:
#67: The Whale Probe from ST: IV
#66: Icarus II from Sunshine
#61: The Planet Express ship from Futurama
#60: Andorian Cruiser from Enterprise
#50: The Klingon Deuterium Tanker from Enterprise
#42: NSEA Protector from Galaxy Quest
#40: The Event Horizon from Event Horizon
#36: D'Deridex-class Warbird
#29: The Sulaco from Aliens
#25: Viper from BSG
#22: Cylon Raider (picture on the site is of the original BSG version)
#8: Surak Warp Sled from ST: The Motion Picture (Really? WTF?)
#4: TOS Enterprise
#3: Klingon BoP

So if you were doing this list, what would you have put in it?
“Battle is not a simulation. It’s blood and screams and funerals.” – Capt. Georgiou – Star Trek: Discovery – “The Vulcan Hello”

Offline Razor

• Board Legend
  • All things not of this world
    • View Profile
Re: Top 75 Spaceships in Movies and TV
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2012, 01:26:01 PM »
That list is idiotic.  Sorry I wish I was more sussinct.  Really the eagle from Space 1999 is better than say Galactica, the Enterprise or the Millenium falcon?  The guy seems to have a hard on for that early 70's jumbled spaceship design asthetic.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2012, 01:27:42 PM by Razor »
“The boat dipped and swayed and sometimes took on water, but it did not sink; the two brothers had waterproofed it well. I do not know where it finally fetched up, if it ever did; perhaps it reached the sea and sails there forever, like a magic boat in a fairytale. All I know is that it was still afloat and still running on the breast of the flood when it passed the incorporated town limits of Derry, Maine, and there it passes out of this tale forever.” ― Stephen King, It"
High priest in the Cult of J

Offline Jon

• Prolific Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2012, 03:00:14 PM »
That is an old list...I remember seeing it years ago.

Offline Fiery Little One

• Distinguished Member
  • Live Long and Prosper
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2012, 05:21:31 PM »
I didn't even bother reading why they are where they are on this list... There's soooo much wrong here, I had to wonder if it was done dead serious or not.
Open your mind to new possibilities
-Trip(sort of), The Crossing

Offline slash78

• Prolific Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2012, 01:04:51 AM »
Dude, where is the Narn Cruiser?  Or the S:AAB Hammerhead?  Or a Starfury (or the sexier Thunderbolt)?  The Reliant?  The TARTIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I could go on and on, but the list is an EPIC FAIL!

Offline Stoo

• an all too ordinary story
  • Global Moderator
  • Eminent Member
    • View Profile
    • A Force for Good
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2012, 05:13:43 AM »
A few odd choices - the Vulcan "Warp Sled" is hardly one of Trek's most iconic designs. On the other hand the list reminds me of some cool designs I had forgotten, like the Aries from 2001.

Really lists like this will never be satisfactory to everyone (how do you objectively decide the Coolest Scifi Ship Ever?), and they're not worth nerdraging over. Just use them as a starting point for discussion. At least Trek gets two entries in the top 5.

The Aliens Dropship is a little surprising - it looks cool but despite its gunship style never does more than ferry people around. But it does come from maybe the greatest SciFi Action film of the 80s. As for the Eagle Transporter I can't comment much as I've never watched Space 1999 but it does look like a convincing near-future space transport. And acknowledging such spacecraft is as important as exciting fighters and warships.

Lack of Galactica herself is a shame. Perhaps the original was deemed too derivative of Star Wars (but then Vipers are derivative of Star Wars fighters). The 2003 version is worth a mention though, with the rugged industrial look and retro techology.

As for B5... I guess I'd go for either the Omega Destroyer, all boxy and businesslike up against superior alien ships that looked like various kinds of sea life. Very "plucky humans fight back".
« Last Edit: November 02, 2012, 06:47:32 AM by Stoo »

Offline TNC

• Board Legend
  • Stuck in the middle of nowhere...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2012, 05:10:15 PM »
Really lists like this will never be satisfactory to everyone (how do you objectively decide the Coolest Scifi Ship Ever?), and they're not worth nerdraging over. Just use them as a starting point for discussion. At least Trek gets two entries in the top 5.

You forget the number one rule of nerdrage: Everything is worth nerdraging over, especially insignificant things.

As for objectively deciding the coolest scifi ship ever I don't think its possible either.  The closest you could get I guess is to ask a few hundred or so people what their top 25 or favorite ships are and then compile the lists together.
“Battle is not a simulation. It’s blood and screams and funerals.” – Capt. Georgiou – Star Trek: Discovery – “The Vulcan Hello”