Author Topic: The Community Chat - Planning  (Read 2333 times)

Offline Jimi James

• So Say We All
  • Administrator
  • Distinguished Member
  • Abandon Ship
    • View Profile
    • The New Haven Chronicles
The Community Chat - Planning
« on: June 02, 2012, 04:52:05 PM »
Community Chat

I feel that the first order of business we need to tackle to get the community chat rolling, is to figure out the best time to hold it.  Now, it goes without saying that we'll likely not be able to accommodate everyone and for those that might be left out, we apologize in advance. 

One possibility is to have some sort of alternative schedule, so that the second chat picks up many of those not covered in the first one.

The second order of business, is a general discussion of community participation, which is at the heart of the larger issue we've been discussing for the past week.  It goes without saying that none of us want to see SCN die.  I'm sure we all have fond memories of SCN, particularly some of the more senior members.  Mak and I were talking the other day and reminiscing about the old days and even given the brief instances of trouble we've had, our look back at SCN was overwhelming favorable.

So we need people to show up, and if you do show up, be ready to chat and have things to talk about.  We'll announce ahead of time, a handful of topics we plan to cover, so go over them before the chat starts and get some ideas together, maybe even jot down some notes if you need to.

Also, have some of your own topics ready to talk about, should we need them.  We may even do entire chats where we open it up to the community to supply the topics.  Sort of a viewers choice type situation where everyone talks about

While SCN has always been a Trek themed bored, we don't want to talk trek to death.  Really, how many times can we ask each other what our favorite starship is.  And realistically, for many of us, we've talked about Trek so much, that if we don't know where we each stand on something, then we can likely hazard a guess of how that person might react.  This means we need to branch out to other sci-fi shows and perhaps even some non sci-fi topics.  Being online, we have the entire internet at our finger tips and we should take advantage of it, leaving no topic untouched.  In many ways, think of this as a condensed, real time, version of the message board, which we can hopefully do on a somewhat regular basis.

For the time being, this will be a chat held here at SCN in our chatroom.  At some point in the future, we fill the need to or have an interest for voice chat, then we can do that as well.

As I mentioned in the Future of SCN thread, one aspect of this chat that I want to tackle, is to hold a community viewing party.  We'll pick a movie or an episode of Trek and have at it, Mystery Science Theater style.

Secondly, this might not work smoothly at first and certainly it will be a small group of us to begin with, but I think as we work out the details and continue our larger efforts to bring in more members, that we'll have some fun along the way.

So right now, we're still in the planning stages, so let us know what you think, if you're interested, and what time of the week would ideally work best for you.  Also if you have any ideas about filling an hour of chat time, with special events, activities, or specific discussions, then feel free to suggest them.
https://www.patreon.com/JonMichaelMay
Help me make art, by joining me on Patreon. Various subscriptions tiers are in place, allowing you to support my addictive art habit for as little as $1 a month.

Offline TNC

• Board Legend
  • Stuck in the middle of nowhere...
    • View Profile
Re: The Community Chat - Planning
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2012, 08:11:42 PM »
Well this isn't going to be helpful but I'm free just about every evening.  I'm not sure if it would fill an hour but we could do movie/TV/video game/etc. reviews.  The voice chat and community viewing party might present a problem for me with the crappy internet I have and the fact that my computer has been suffering from audio problems for a while now.
“Battle is not a simulation. It’s blood and screams and funerals.” – Capt. Georgiou – Star Trek: Discovery – “The Vulcan Hello”