Author Topic: Star Trek vs Star Wars... Keep it clean people...  (Read 9350 times)

Offline Feynraith

• View Profile
Re: Star Trek vs Star Wars... Keep it clean people...
« Reply #25 on: March 02, 2013, 11:20:21 AM »
I think another part of the problem with figuring out this sort of thing is the makeup of the fanbases: (By the way, I'm not trying to flame-bait here, so if it comes across wrong I apologise.)

Trek fans tend to be quite technologically-minded, attracted to the science part of the show, hence they come up with all these calculations about exactly how various devices work, how much power is in a phaser shot etc.

Wars fans like it for the action - they like that things go boom. Not really much in the way of calculations about how much energy is needed to obliterate Echo Base, just let rip.

There is a guy who's done a ton of calculations regarding Star Wars technology - http://www.theforce.net/swtc/index.html - he's more heavily biased towards Star Wars when it comes to Trek vs. Wars, but it does make for some interesting reading.

I've borrowed from his writing (particularly about the Endor Holocaust) for some technical stuff regarding my own work.

Offline Flagg

• Board Legend
  • Gotham's Reckoning
    • View Profile
Re: Star Trek vs Star Wars... Keep it clean people...
« Reply #26 on: March 02, 2013, 01:07:51 PM »
I think another part of the problem with figuring out this sort of thing is the makeup of the fanbases: (By the way, I'm not trying to flame-bait here, so if it comes across wrong I apologise.)

Trek fans tend to be quite technologically-minded, attracted to the science part of the show, hence they come up with all these calculations about exactly how various devices work, how much power is in a phaser shot etc.

Wars fans like it for the action - they like that things go boom. Not really much in the way of calculations about how much energy is needed to obliterate Echo Base, just let rip.

There is a guy who's done a ton of calculations regarding Star Wars technology - http://www.theforce.net/swtc/index.html - he's more heavily biased towards Star Wars when it comes to Trek vs. Wars, but it does make for some interesting reading.

I've borrowed from his writing (particularly about the Endor Holocaust) for some technical stuff regarding my own work.
:o