Author Topic: Anyone Workout?  (Read 3309 times)

Offline Makaveli

• Administrator
  • Board Legend
  • N.I.G.G.A.
    • View Profile
Anyone Workout?
« on: August 29, 2012, 06:22:52 PM »
Well the title pretty much explains the thread, I know a lot of you are typical nerds that have trouble lifting anything anything heavier than a can of ur favourite energy drink (kidding, maybe) but I'm just curious if anyone else around these parts is a gym rat? Just curious if there is any new workouts or such that you may be doing that I haven't heard about, I'm getting a little bored with my current routine and am looking some some inspiration.
N.I.G.G.A. - Never Ignorant Gettin' Goals Acomplished
"If a man hasn't discovered something he will die for, he isn't fit to live." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.
CIDvision :: the breen war :: trekonline

Offline Razor

• Board Legend
  • All things not of this world
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone Workout?
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2012, 07:20:45 PM »
I try to get a brisk mile long walk in every once in a while.
“The boat dipped and swayed and sometimes took on water, but it did not sink; the two brothers had waterproofed it well. I do not know where it finally fetched up, if it ever did; perhaps it reached the sea and sails there forever, like a magic boat in a fairytale. All I know is that it was still afloat and still running on the breast of the flood when it passed the incorporated town limits of Derry, Maine, and there it passes out of this tale forever.” ― Stephen King, It"
High priest in the Cult of J

Offline Flagg

• Board Legend
  • Gotham's Reckoning
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2012, 08:20:12 PM »
You're asking a bunch of fat Star Trek nerds if they work out?

Offline Data007

• Eminent Member
  • What? You don't have voices in your head?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2012, 12:16:12 PM »
The only workout I do is my job. That said, I spend all day lifting and moving fridges right now, so it's not like I slowly expand my waistline behind a computer screen all day.
"Titans are the God-Machines of the Adeptus Mechanicus. Imagine a city. Now imagine that city is angry at you, can walk, and has continent leveling weapons aimed at you. And is inhabited by more things that hate you. You have a rough idea of a Titan."

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied chains us all irrevocably." Judge Aaron Satie

New Haven Chronicles

Offline The Unbound

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2012, 12:29:14 PM »

No, no, no! He's asking a bunch of Star Trek nerds if they have any tips on working out.

And I will have you know, sir, that I can lift a whole sixpack of my favourite energy drink.
Steady on.

Offline Xero

• Board Legend
  • Let the big man do his job.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2012, 12:43:02 PM »
Let's see, I have a bad knee, a bad back, and a bad shoulder, so no... I don't work out.  :P
"Well Steve, I think it's more like we both had this rich neighbor named Xerox and I broke into his house to steal the TV set and found out that you had already stolen it." - Bill Gate's response to Steve Jobs' accusation of theft.

Offline Makaveli

• Administrator
  • Board Legend
  • N.I.G.G.A.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2012, 02:43:06 PM »
Hey I thought some of you woulda been trying to get in shape for the impending Zombie apocalypse and all that Jazz.... remember rule #1, Cardio... lol.... Seriously tho, nobody here goes to the gym?
N.I.G.G.A. - Never Ignorant Gettin' Goals Acomplished
"If a man hasn't discovered something he will die for, he isn't fit to live." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.
CIDvision :: the breen war :: trekonline

Offline Jimi James

• So Say We All
  • Administrator
  • Distinguished Member
  • Abandon Ship
    • View Profile
    • The New Haven Chronicles
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2012, 07:37:11 PM »
I've thought about going to a gym, but I got out of breath trying to google the directions.

There aren't any gyms close to me so that limits my options to at home exercise.  I spend a lot of time at my desk, which I try to break up be at least getting up and moving around some.  I sporadically walk around outside, do pushups, crunches, and curls with a dumbbell, though not with not regularity to really call it a routine.  I'd like to be able to do some cardio, but it's not really safe to run where I live, not because of crime or anything, but because the morons that live here would likely hit me with their cars.  I'm in the country and sidewalks or even pedestrian walkways seem to be a foreign concept.  The same goes for biking.  I used to love riding a bike when I was younger and want to get back into it, but I don't feel safe riding a bike on the road where I live.  I'd have to drive somewhere with my bike, ride there, then drive home...and in my mind that sort of takes the fun out of it.

So I'm hoping that soon, I'll be able to move somewhere that either has a gym, or at least is within realistic driving distance of a gym, or alternatively has a park with some walking/running paths nearby.
https://www.patreon.com/JonMichaelMay
Help me make art, by joining me on Patreon. Various subscriptions tiers are in place, allowing you to support my addictive art habit for as little as $1 a month.

Offline Razor

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2012, 11:30:19 PM »
Does masturbation count as exercise?
“The boat dipped and swayed and sometimes took on water, but it did not sink; the two brothers had waterproofed it well. I do not know where it finally fetched up, if it ever did; perhaps it reached the sea and sails there forever, like a magic boat in a fairytale. All I know is that it was still afloat and still running on the breast of the flood when it passed the incorporated town limits of Derry, Maine, and there it passes out of this tale forever.” ― Stephen King, It"

Offline Xero

• Board Legend
  • Let the big man do his job.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2012, 05:57:55 AM »
Does masturbation count as exercise?

I could have went a life time without reading that sentence from you... Now I have new nightmare fuel.
"Well Steve, I think it's more like we both had this rich neighbor named Xerox and I broke into his house to steal the TV set and found out that you had already stolen it." - Bill Gate's response to Steve Jobs' accusation of theft.

Offline Razor

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2012, 12:14:54 PM »
^^^I was just asking if it counted.  I didnt say I was doing it at that moment.  And as the resident dirty old man you should be immune to such things.  :P

On a serious note beyond the brisk walk I mentioned earlier I was able to get some swimming done this summer thanks to my local pool. Beyond that no cant say i do workout.

Offline The Unbound

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2012, 06:00:04 AM »
I keep trying to imagine how masturbation could be sufficiently strenuous to be considered excercise. I could certainly have done without that, thankyouverymuch.
Steady on.

Offline Xiorc

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2012, 02:29:21 AM »

Im a trek nerd as well, I use to work out all the time and I was fit (could bench 275..+) but now my knees and legs and orbitals hurt so much I can barley stand it... Pun intended!
I gained a few pounds now and im pushing 40..so working out is getting harder to do.
 Anymore I just want a bottle and a good steak and all that "workin-out" is just too hard to do.