Author Topic: Chris Roberts is back and...  (Read 1422 times)

Offline slash78

• Prolific Member
    • View Profile
Chris Roberts is back and...
« on: October 02, 2012, 03:21:50 PM »
Hadn't looked up anything about Wing Commander in a long time.  Apparently Chris Roberts has nounced he's back into game development and will anounce his new (wing commander?) project on October 10th.  Why can't he just say what it is now, I don't know. 

Offline slash78

• Prolific Member
    • View Profile
Re: Chris Roberts is back and...
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2012, 11:55:40 PM »
http://www.gamespot.com/star-citizen/videos/star-citizen-announcement-trailer-6397993/

Star Citizen he can call it.  But it's definately Wing Commander (Tiger's Claw and Hornets from WC1 shown) with StarLancer/FreeLancer/Privateer/plus/plus.

http://starcitizen.robertsspaceindustries.com/

Offline Stoo

• an all too ordinary story
  • Global Moderator
  • Eminent Member
    • View Profile
    • A Force for Good
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2012, 08:03:07 AM »
The Space-sim as a genre has been dead for years. I can't think of a major release since 2005? I was never that into WC but I did like X-wing, Freespace etc. Will keep an eye on this.

Offline The Unbound

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2012, 06:48:03 AM »
Sort of in this vein, but different, there is a thing on kickstarter called Strike Suit Zero.

I'm not really convinced by the promised gameplay, which has as its main feature, beyond the whole space fighter sim, that you can at times turn your fighter into a mech, which doesn't move much, but is a bunch shootier. They lost me at the word 'mech' (or at 'strike suit', really. I'm not entirely comfortable with the word 'Zero' either, come to think of it). I think it could work as a mechanic, I'm just not sure if I think it's going to. I'm not convinced by the storytelling either, which, apart from some fairly generic snippets about "humanity taking war to the stars" just promises "epicness" (well, I added the "-ness", to be fair), which is not really a good sign.

But it looks very pretty, which is why I put in a picture. I'm quite fond of the Homeworld series, and this game borrows heavily from there for both its visual style, and its score, apparently. And that manages to just barely push it over the line where I'm interested to see what happens.
Steady on.

Offline Data007

• Eminent Member
  • What? You don't have voices in your head?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2013, 07:48:05 PM »
Just take my money and do it.
"Titans are the God-Machines of the Adeptus Mechanicus. Imagine a city. Now imagine that city is angry at you, can walk, and has continent leveling weapons aimed at you. And is inhabited by more things that hate you. You have a rough idea of a Titan."

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied chains us all irrevocably." Judge Aaron Satie

New Haven Chronicles