Author Topic: Star Trek: The Fall  (Read 6297 times)

Offline Jimi James

• So Say We All
  • Administrator
  • Distinguished Member
  • Abandon Ship
    • View Profile
    • The New Haven Chronicles
Star Trek: The Fall
« on: May 26, 2013, 04:19:42 PM »
Looks like there's a new big five part crossover coming later this year in the Trek Books.  I haven't been keeping up since the Destiny Trilogy, but they're certainly continuing to push things forward and developing the post TNG/DS9/VGR universe.

You can read some info about it here,
http://www.startrek.com/article/andy-probert-and-douglas-e-graves-talk-the-fall

Included, are interviews with Probert and Drexler about the new DS9.  There are pics to.  I'm not sure I care for it.  I think they could have done without the large rings/arms that extend from the main outer ring in to the main core.  I guess that might be seen as a homage to the old DS9, but it makes the design look cramped.  Apparently though, the design was largely dictated by the authors, which seems a bit odd.  I get that in writing the series, they might need certain aspects and locations, but maybe the authors should have worked more closely with the artists and really, deferred to the judgment of Probert and Drexler.

Anyway, take a look.  I'm interested to hear what you all think.

https://www.patreon.com/JonMichaelMay
Help me make art, by joining me on Patreon. Various subscriptions tiers are in place, allowing you to support my addictive art habit for as little as $1 a month.

Offline Data007

• Eminent Member
  • What? You don't have voices in your head?
    • View Profile
Re: Star Trek: The Fall
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2013, 07:40:03 PM »
Yay, homage, but they don't do anything in this version, or don't appear nearly as functional as the old arms.
"Titans are the God-Machines of the Adeptus Mechanicus. Imagine a city. Now imagine that city is angry at you, can walk, and has continent leveling weapons aimed at you. And is inhabited by more things that hate you. You have a rough idea of a Titan."

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied chains us all irrevocably." Judge Aaron Satie

New Haven Chronicles

Offline Jimi James

• So Say We All
  • Administrator
  • Distinguished Member
  • Abandon Ship
    • View Profile
    • The New Haven Chronicles
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2013, 05:09:23 PM »
http://www.thetrekcollective.com/2013/11/behind-scenes-of-new-deep-space-9.html
They've released some more detailed images of the new DS9 station being used in the books.  It would be interesting to see this design make the jump over to STO.
There's also a glimpse of a new Probert designed Salvage Tug.

It's odd that it has 2 dock/connections specifically for the Galaxy class.  The way the Galaxy Class is docked in those images, which likely blocks at least two, possibly three shuttle bays, makes it look like it's unlikely any other ships could dock there.  It's an odd feature, even if somewhat like the Defiant, there is a Galaxy class ship stationed there permanently.
https://www.patreon.com/JonMichaelMay
Help me make art, by joining me on Patreon. Various subscriptions tiers are in place, allowing you to support my addictive art habit for as little as $1 a month.

Offline TNC

• Board Legend
  • Stuck in the middle of nowhere...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2013, 06:20:42 PM »
Boo!  You can't change DS9!  It's an abomination!  :P

Considering Earth Spacedock (ESD) was a new and unique design when STO started and all the fanboys said "Give us the one from the movies!" and they gave us the old ESD from the movies, I somehow doubt they'd introduce this into STO.  Although if they do I would hope it would involve an epic mission (chain?) where DS9 is destroyed instead of just "Poof! New station!" like they did with ESD (IIRC the original plan was to give KDF players a mission to blow up the original ESD before introducing the movie one, but they changed it and just had Q change the station).  Or move the old DS9 back into Bajor orbit and make it a museum or something (or maybe give it to Cardassia for their base of operations when the Cardassian faction comes out).
“Battle is not a simulation. It’s blood and screams and funerals.” – Capt. Georgiou – Star Trek: Discovery – “The Vulcan Hello”