Author Topic: Star Trek Fan Films  (Read 9206 times)

Offline Cat-Nadian

• Board Legend
  • There is only Zuul
    • View Profile
    • Cat-Nadian Blog
Star Trek Fan Films
« on: July 10, 2014, 01:23:27 PM »
Even if you do not have cable or regular access to the internet now,i kept myself entertained recently by watching some Star Trek fan movies,like Star Trek Phase 2 and new voyages,i found them fun to watch and the effects are ok,also i watched some Star wars fan films but that is for the appropriate section.

Offline TNC

• Board Legend
  • Stuck in the middle of nowhere...
    • View Profile
Re: Star Trek Fan Films
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2014, 11:16:50 PM »
I don't normally pay much attention to fan-films, but this one Jimi talked about in the Off Topic thread looks interesting.

This is something pretty cool...I'm not a huge fan of most fan-film projects that are out there, so when one actually manages to grab my attention, you can bet that it's something special.  This is the case with, Prelude to Axanar.

I first saw this over on Sci-Fi Meshes, where some of the cgi was being shown off and for good reason.  It looks amazing, but wait!  There's more.  The story is presented as a war documentary, at least in what is shown in the trailer, about the Battle of Axanar during the Federation-Klingon war and includes a number of Trek alumni, such as Tony Todd, J. G. Hertzler, Gary Graham (playing Soval from ENT), and there's also a shot of Kate Vernon (BSG-Ellen Tight) in the trailer. 

The Character page on their website, list a number of other familiar characters, such as Robert April, Garth of Izar, Chang (Not yet a General), and Sarek.  It will be interesting to see who they have gotten to play younger versions of Chang and Sarek.  I couldn't find an official cast list.
http://startrekaxanar.com/

It's worth taking a look at.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zh4JbLhH_8w&feature=youtu.be

The CGI work is really, really good and they've got some familiar actors working on the project.

Random thought, maybe this should be in "The Other Voyages" subforum (considering how dead it is)?
“Battle is not a simulation. It’s blood and screams and funerals.” – Capt. Georgiou – Star Trek: Discovery – “The Vulcan Hello”

Offline Jimi James

• So Say We All
  • Administrator
  • Distinguished Member
  • Abandon Ship
    • View Profile
    • The New Haven Chronicles
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2014, 11:50:37 AM »
You can watch the 20 minute short Star Trek Axanar, on their kickstarter page....and man does it look good.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/194429923/star-trek-axanar
« Last Edit: August 01, 2014, 11:57:18 AM by Jimi James »
https://www.patreon.com/JonMichaelMay
Help me make art, by joining me on Patreon. Various subscriptions tiers are in place, allowing you to support my addictive art habit for as little as $1 a month.

Offline TNC

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2014, 01:44:55 AM »
Considering that that's a proof of concept video...  I think they've proved their concept.  I like Sovol's line "An Andorian acquaintance of mine once said, 'Don't push the pinkskins to the thin ice.'"

I also was amused with Kate Vernon's character's Klingon nickname (Queen bitch whore of the Federation).  Seems an apt description of Ellen Tigh.
“Battle is not a simulation. It’s blood and screams and funerals.” – Capt. Georgiou – Star Trek: Discovery – “The Vulcan Hello”

Offline Starlost

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2014, 02:42:35 PM »
I recognize those actors, they got the skills to pay the bills.......they have all done more than Trek.  The effects looks grand too!  The Ares looks like what I think I was expecting of the NX.......over the slap and weld of the Romulan War mass productions, but not as sleekly compound curvy as the Abramsverse stuff.

I like that Ferengi Quarks assessment of us http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-D2SHNqkjbY

Keep them happy, they'll help you be happy, and the world is happy..........
Life is a sexually transmitted social disease

Offline Bernd

• Administrator
  • Distinguished Member
  • Lord of the Bored
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2014, 10:05:43 AM »

Offline TNC

• Board Legend
    • View Profile

Offline Fiery Little One

• Distinguished Member
  • Live Long and Prosper
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2016, 03:14:41 PM »
How this turns out should be interesting.
Open your mind to new possibilities
-Trip(sort of), The Crossing

Offline Jimi James

• So Say We All
  • Administrator
  • Distinguished Member
  • Abandon Ship
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2016, 01:19:52 PM »
I'm hoping they can work something out that will let them finish the film they have planned. Their Prelude to Axanar short was amazing and if you haven't seen it, I highly recommend you take twenty minutes of your time today and give it a chance. It does a great job of breaking the mold of the usual "crew on a ship" formula that so many fan films think they need to stick to. Prelude is presented as a war documentary, showing the Four Years War between the Klingons and Federation, the war in which the D7 and Constitutions Class ships came into their own as well as the conflict that made Garth of Izar a legend.

The film will apparently also include a lot more Trek-alumni than were in Prelude...though apparently Tony Todd has left the project and was written out.
Help me make art, by joining me on Patreon. Various subscriptions tiers are in place, allowing you to support my addictive art habit for as little as $1 a month.

Offline Bernd

• Administrator
  • Distinguished Member
  • Lord of the Bored
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2016, 04:48:31 AM »
In the latest episode of New Voyages "The Holiest Thing" they included some sort of disclaimer that the series is made to promote the official Star Trek by CBS. This is interesting because it implies an affiliation that New Voyages is said to have that other fan films don't have.

Offline TNC

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2016, 07:19:49 AM »
According to comments made in the comments section on Trekmovie.com's article on the Axanar suit, ever since Tony Todd left the project 4 months ago he has been making posts on Twitter that suggest that the Axanar team may have done something (IIRC some were saying things like using the raised funds for something other than the fan film) to bring this suit on (other than having raised a million dollars).  I'd investigate further, but I don't use Twitter and have no idea what Tony Todd's Twitter handle is.

Offline Fiery Little One

• Distinguished Member
  • Live Long and Prosper
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2016, 03:19:43 PM »
It would seem it's TonyTodd54, after a quick look at his article on Memory Alpha. He hasn't said anything about this over the last day or so based on a quick glance.

Offline TNC

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2016, 04:38:57 PM »
Well the Trekmovie.com article was written almost a month ago, and he left the project 4 months ago (as of that article being written), so it's possible he's said his piece already.

Offline Jimi James

• So Say We All
  • Administrator
  • Distinguished Member
  • Abandon Ship
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2016, 02:58:19 PM »
Yeah, there's an ongoing "flamewar" (that's really the best way to describe it) between those that support Axanar and those that support CBS, particularly on facebook. The reports that part of the funds raised may have been used for things other than the project or in ways that aren't completely non-for profit, possibly have some merit. There's a lot of talk, but not much solid evidence, at least not that I have seen. Apparently the biggest issue, is that Peters (the guy in charge of Axanar and playing Garth) has used part of the funds to construct a film studio, that will later be used in for-profit productions. If that's that case, that's an issue.

At this point, I think it's almost pointless to try and pick sides and get to the bottom of what's going on from a fan's point of view. I just want the Film to come out. So until the lawsuit is settled, all we can do is wait and see.

The loss of Todd from the project is disappointing however. His commanding presence was part of what made the Prelude to Axanar so compelling.

Offline CX

• Distinguished Member
  • Bully!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2016, 02:26:23 AM »
I heard it was more about the merchandise they sold.
"Black care rarely sits behind a rider whose pace is fast enough." - TR

Offline Bernd

• Administrator
  • Distinguished Member
  • Lord of the Bored
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2016, 07:39:05 PM »
Building a studio for productions other than fan films would be most definitely an issue. But it is hard to imagine that Alec Peters would take on such a big project without a thorough check of the legal situation.

Offline TNC

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2016, 10:32:35 AM »
Federation Falling? CBS brings a halt to crowdfunding of the Star Trek Horizon sequel – Does this signal the end of fan films?

As apparent fallout from the ongoing Axanar lawsuit, the creator of Horizon was contacted personally by CBS and told it would be best not to begin a croudfunding campaign for the sequel to Horizon.

Offline Fiery Little One

• Distinguished Member
  • Live Long and Prosper
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2016, 02:35:15 PM »
Well, it's not like it was at one time where they handed out C&D's as soon as they heard about the project.

Offline TNC

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2016, 04:56:53 PM »
Yeah, it was nice of them to let him know.  Its a safe bet to assume the whole crowdfunded fan film scene will be put on hold until the Axanar suit is settled.

Offline Fiery Little One

• Distinguished Member
  • Live Long and Prosper
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2016, 04:41:54 PM »
Yeah, if anything caught their attention with these fan films, it's the crowdfunding. As was said, at least they just warned off the other group from doing it.

Offline TNC

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 21, 2016, 02:56:26 PM »
Jimi mentioned this in the Trek XIII discussion thread...

In somewhat related news, apparently Justin Linn,(the director) likely with the help of Abrams, went to bat for the Axanar fan film team and got Paramount to drop the lawsuit that was going to potentially shut them down.

...But I'll post this here as well.

JJ Abrams announces Paramount/CBS has agreed to drop Axanar lawsuit.  It has been confirmed by CBS & Paramount that the lawsuit is being dropped and they are working on new guidelines for fan-films.

Offline Fiery Little One

• Distinguished Member
  • Live Long and Prosper
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 21, 2016, 03:34:34 PM »
Good to hear.

Offline TNC

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 17, 2016, 04:19:52 AM »
Looks like the Axanar suit isn't over yet.

Although if I understand the article correctly, Axanar countersued CBS/Paramount after the original lawsuit and this is this suit moving into the next phase and not the original one.

Offline Fiery Little One

• Distinguished Member
  • Live Long and Prosper
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 17, 2016, 02:13:55 PM »
This... is not going to end well...

Offline Jimi James

• So Say We All
  • Administrator
  • Distinguished Member
  • Abandon Ship
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 17, 2016, 10:39:35 PM »
Yeah...just when you thought it was over.

Buzzfeed posted what they claimed was a new Axanar trailer on their facebook page yesterday, but I couldn't find it anywhere else.
Not sure if this link will work...but here it is.
https://www.facebook.com/BuzzFeedEntertainment/videos/1083699491675717/?video_source=pages_finch_main_video