Author Topic: The Field Spike Torpedo  (Read 2200 times)

Offline Starlost

• View Profile
The Field Spike Torpedo
« on: September 14, 2014, 09:21:18 PM »
A new type of torpedo developed during the Dominion War.  An engineer on one of the <Science Class> vessels had a flash of inspiration on how to deal with the mass attacks of the Gem'hadar assault craft.  The photon torpedoes are built with a warp sustainer motor and he bellieved if it could be detuned at the right time it could crash a ships warp field.  Given the case that most warp fields extend beyond the shield radius, this could provide a means on evening up the "quantity of Hulls" problem that was the main source of UFP Admiralty angst. 

The engineer figured he could cause the torpedo to detonate with a massive static form of warp field pulse which would detune the targeted warp field, possibly even causing reactor safteys to shut down the reactor due to the energy feedback through the warp coils.  The blown EPS conduits, in any case, would take the ship out of the fight for a fair amount of time.
With experimentation, weapons officers were often able to break up the Gem'hadar assault triplets with this device, sometimes detuning all 3 drives before they could make their passes.  Those triple attacks would drop the UFP deflectors for the third ship to hit bare hulls with a full salvo. With the first and second ships frequently being diabled these attacked became less effective.

Thes torpedos are little more than a regular photon torpedo with the targeting software modifed and linked into the motor to cause a near miss detonation with the EPS conduits going to the cassing coil beefed up to handle the motor power surge.  The warp coils melted down like an old fashioned fuse, but lasted long enough to kick of a broad spectrum of intense, short spike, subspace static that destabilized warpfields.
Life is a sexually transmitted social disease

Offline Starlost

• View Profile
Re: The Field Spike Torpedo
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2014, 06:29:21 PM »
crickets from 33 views......no wonder the forum is dead.

Offline TNC

• Board Legend
  • Stuck in the middle of nowhere...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2014, 10:20:50 PM »
Well to be fair, most of those views were probably from guests.  There's only about 10 or so people who are regularly active around here, and this is one of the least active boards (AFAIK)...

Back on topic, the idea sounds good enough to me, though I'm not a Treknology expert by any means.  It's Jem'hadar BTW.
“The Elachi can send their entire fleet.  We will not fall.” – Ambassador Worf – Star Trek Online – “Sphere of Influence”

Offline JES

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2014, 04:11:43 PM »
 Yeah, I'm no technology expert either, hence my initial hesitation to give any input. But try getting input on the TrekBBS. That is why I joined this board. What few members that frequent this board will at least give some input, or at the very least complement your design or idea.

Oh wait, that isn't really much input anyways, is it now. Oh well? :-\ Still, seems like a valid enough idea to me. An EMP-like pulse that is the bane of warp fields.
 I imagine that becoming the standard in equipment for system patrol ships to intercept smugglers and the like, or any suspicious ships that try to make a quick getaway. Too bad about a decade later, Quantum Slipstream is starting to be implemented in any new designs possible, but then, we all see what happens when you don't properly navigate Slipstream, and warp will still likely stay in use for the foreseeable future anyways. And how hard could it be to destabilize Slipstream, and force a ship out any ways?

Offline Bernd

• Administrator
  • Distinguished Member
  • Lord of the Bored
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2014, 03:37:12 AM »
One important point to consider is that when the Jem'Hadar vessels did their mass attacks (at Chin'toka for example) they were not at warp.

Offline Starlost

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2014, 07:05:38 AM »
True but were their warp cores still online to provide power? and if there is still a field generated, there is still a means of forcing them to "Detune" to deal with the presence of those weapons......

If you are the Defiant and needing to run away, it is just what the doctor Engineer ordered. 

Offline TNC

• Board Legend
  • Stuck in the middle of nowhere...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2014, 09:35:20 AM »
I think warp fields are only active when a ship is at warp, but I could be wrong.
“The Elachi can send their entire fleet.  We will not fall.” – Ambassador Worf – Star Trek Online – “Sphere of Influence”