Author Topic: Star Trek XIII news thread (possible $spoilers$ later)  (Read 10503 times)

Offline TNC

• Board Legend
  • Stuck in the middle of nowhere...
    • View Profile
Star Trek XIII news thread (possible $spoilers$ later)
« on: December 22, 2014, 10:10:36 PM »
It looks like Justin Lin (who has worked on the Fast & Furious movies) has been chosen to direct the third Abramsverse movie.
http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/movies/moviesnow/la-et-mn-justin-lin-to-direct-star-trek-3-20141222-story.html
“Battle is not a simulation. It’s blood and screams and funerals.” – Capt. Georgiou – Star Trek: Discovery – “The Vulcan Hello”

Offline Razor

• Board Legend
  • All things not of this world
    • View Profile
Re: Star Trek XIII news thread (possible $spoilers$ later)
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2014, 10:50:14 PM »
Wouldn't have been my first choice.  yet Ive heard good things about the last couple of FF movies so lets see what happens.
“The boat dipped and swayed and sometimes took on water, but it did not sink; the two brothers had waterproofed it well. I do not know where it finally fetched up, if it ever did; perhaps it reached the sea and sails there forever, like a magic boat in a fairytale. All I know is that it was still afloat and still running on the breast of the flood when it passed the incorporated town limits of Derry, Maine, and there it passes out of this tale forever.” ― Stephen King, It"
High priest in the Cult of J

Offline CX

• Distinguished Member
  • Bully!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2014, 12:24:41 AM »
I would have went for the Moon guy, personally.  But I'm not really surprised given the previous "we want it to be like Guardians of the Galaxy" info.
"Black care rarely sits behind a rider whose pace is fast enough." - TR

Offline Razor

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2014, 07:42:28 AM »
Considering GOTG felt way more Star trek than Star Wars to me (Seriously with the exception of Groot and Rocket it had a bunch of forehead aliens....so I dont ever want to hear anymore complaints about Trek's aliens ever again).  I'm not bothered by that statement at all.  More focus on aliens with a lighter tone...works for me.
“The boat dipped and swayed and sometimes took on water, but it did not sink; the two brothers had waterproofed it well. I do not know where it finally fetched up, if it ever did; perhaps it reached the sea and sails there forever, like a magic boat in a fairytale. All I know is that it was still afloat and still running on the breast of the flood when it passed the incorporated town limits of Derry, Maine, and there it passes out of this tale forever.” ― Stephen King, It"

Offline scott

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2014, 05:29:09 PM »
 Release Date  ‘Star Trek 3′ Sets July 8, 2016

Offline Razor

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2014, 11:35:47 PM »
Anyone else find it strange that the new Star Wars movie is getting the holiday release while the Star Trek movie is the summer tentpole.

Offline TNC

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2014, 12:49:58 AM »
According to this it's to commemorate the 50th anniversary of Star Trek (which works for the year at least).  IIRC wasn't Into Darkness originally set to launch in June or July?  Both of the other two wound up launching in May IIRC.
“Battle is not a simulation. It’s blood and screams and funerals.” – Capt. Georgiou – Star Trek: Discovery – “The Vulcan Hello”

Offline scott

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2014, 09:24:14 AM »
Anyone else find it strange that the new Star Wars movie is getting the holiday release while the Star Trek movie is the summer tentpole.

In Summer

Offline tlacamazatl

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2015, 01:25:39 PM »

Not strange at all, really. The two big seasons for movies, and the studios don't want these to compete because they know there are fans of both that will want to set aside time for each.

Offline TNC

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2015, 10:48:22 PM »

Offline Jimi James

• So Say We All
  • Administrator
  • Distinguished Member
  • Abandon Ship
    • View Profile
    • The New Haven Chronicles
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2015, 05:46:51 PM »
Figured it was time to sticky this one and let the previous movie thread go.

Elba will be a good villain if they can lock him down. I'm interested to see what Pegg can do with the script.
https://www.patreon.com/JonMichaelMay
Help me make art, by joining me on Patreon. Various subscriptions tiers are in place, allowing you to support my addictive art habit for as little as $1 a month.

Offline Xero

• Board Legend
  • Let the big man do his job.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2015, 10:40:10 AM »
Some of the best ToS episodes had villians, but still explored the traditional Star Trek story. Trouble with Tribbles and Errand of Mercy come to mind.
"Well Steve, I think it's more like we both had this rich neighbor named Xerox and I broke into his house to steal the TV set and found out that you had already stolen it." - Bill Gate's response to Steve Jobs' accusation of theft.

Offline scott

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2015, 07:47:47 PM »
The new STAR TREK movie now has a title!

STAR TREK BEYOND

Offline Razor

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2015, 01:45:37 AM »
Considering that was the title I was going to use for my Star Trek story I quite like it.

Offline scott

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2015, 12:16:09 AM »
Simon Pegg
trying to make a film that can appeal to both genre fans and everyone else — but the problem is that you often end up with a finished product that appeals to neither.

http://www.blastr.com/2015-5-19/simon-pegg-says-he-was-hired-make-star-trek-3-less-star-trek-y

Offline NET1

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2015, 01:16:39 AM »
« Last Edit: June 28, 2015, 02:24:38 PM by NET1 »

Offline Bernd

• Administrator
  • Distinguished Member
  • Lord of the Bored
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2015, 05:01:34 AM »
I don't think it's a question of similarity or continuity in the first place but of the way how stories are being told and perhaps a little bit about the philosophy of Star Trek.

Simon Pegg was asked to make the third movie less Trek-y - despite the undeniable appeal to a mainstream audience of the two previous (Abrams) movies(!), and just because other sci-fi/action/superhero/whatever movies performed still better.

Pegg is in a dilemma because he himself wanted to do the opposite. I'd wish that Pegg could put some of his ideas into the new movie, although it doesn't bode well at all that the first script was ditched - apparently just because it was too "Trek-y". I really want to give Abramstrek a last chance before it has to be rated as a wrong turn, in an effort to make it more like a comic universe.

Here is Pegg's rant in which he complained about the "dumbing down of movies" (and about the studio bosses):
http://www.theguardian.com/culture/2015/may/19/simon-pegg-criticises-dumbing-down-of-cinema

And this is how he tries to limit the damage (criticizing your bosses and/or the customers - bad idea):
http://simonpegg.net/2015/05/19/big-mouth-strikes-again/

Offline scott

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2015, 07:02:46 PM »
Considering that was the title I was going to use for my Star Trek story I quite like it.

Star Trek Uncharted
fan invited to pitch his star-trek tv series idea to paramount
…where no fan has gone before!
http://nerdbastards.com/2015/06/20/fan-invited-to-pitch-his-star-trek-tv-series-idea-to-paramount/

Offline Jimi James

• So Say We All
  • Administrator
  • Distinguished Member
  • Abandon Ship
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2015, 11:53:18 PM »
I'm not calling that guy an outright liar, but until someone besides him backs up his story, I'm inclined to believe Paramount has made no such investment in time towards a fan production. Also, shame on Trekmovie for running a story with just one source, in which the person in question is providing the sole account. We should expect better...then again this is the internet, where mere rumor of a possible idea that someone once had two decades ago, passes for a news story.

First, Paramount doesn't have a TV network, so it doesn't make sense for them to take a TV pitch for a project they have no place to air, unless they would simply back it and then get someone like Netflix to distribute it. Or unless they would co-produce the project with another company that does own a TV network. They could team up with CBS and co-produce a show, but CBS doesn't seem to be in any hurry to dip back into the Trek well any time soon.

Secondly, Paramount and CBS have historically been less than friendly with fan productions, usually settling for out right threats of a lawsuit and cease and desist orders, rather than merely asking. Granted, perhaps new management is trying to put a friendlier face on those running the studio. Also, why would they produce his script, all his material is already online, giving everything away. Granted, Star Trek usually isn't as secretive as Abrams tries to be, but the thought of a major movie studio actually producing a script that at this moment is available to read online, doesn't seem very likely. Plus, this guy is an unknown. They're not going to risk the first series after...however long it's been since Enterprise, to an unknown, no matter how enthusiastic he might be.

Third, Paramount has historically been strongly opposed to crossover interference from one series to another and especially into the movie film world. That's why it was a huge deal when Worf and the Defiant showed up in First Contact. The film and TV divisions usually don't mix and they like not to 'confuse us fans' by providing competing endeavors. We are living in the world of shared universes now however, so it's possible but even so the series would need to tie into the film franchise in a major way, which doesn't seem to be the case from what I read of his idea.

Fourth, if Paramount wanted his URL or copyright to Star Trek Beyond, which I believe this is actually about, Paramount has enough money and lawyers they could have just taken it without much trouble.

I don't want to seem overly cynical here, we all want a new series, but nothing about this says to me we should get ready for a new series to begin production. This just isn't how the business works.
Help me make art, by joining me on Patreon. Various subscriptions tiers are in place, allowing you to support my addictive art habit for as little as $1 a month.

Offline Razor

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2015, 07:53:10 PM »
Well its official Idris Elba is in it.

http://trekmovie.com/2015/07/14/40667/

Offline Jimi James

• So Say We All
  • Administrator
  • Distinguished Member
  • Abandon Ship
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 17, 2015, 07:41:17 AM »
Set pics of what looks like at least part of a crashed starship.
http://trekcore.com/blog/2015/08/did-a-federation-starship-crash-land-in-vancouver-for-star-trek-beyond/

That would be the bridge window/viewscreen and part of a saucer. No doubt they'll CGI in the rest of the saucer later on.

The Enterprise maybe? Maybe not. What do you all think?

Offline Fiery Little One

• Distinguished Member
  • Live Long and Prosper
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 17, 2015, 02:40:44 PM »
I'd be more inclined to say same/similar class. The frame of the window doesn't look quite right.
Open your mind to new possibilities
-Trip(sort of), The Crossing

Offline Jimi James

• So Say We All
  • Administrator
  • Distinguished Member
  • Abandon Ship
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 17, 2015, 07:23:30 PM »
I like the idea of getting to see another Constitution class ship. There's always been something appealing about seeing multiple Connie's on screen at once, no matter the version.

That being said, there could be an argument for wrecking the Enterprise in the third film, like they did in TSFP. Even though it would be a bit much, seeing as how they wrecked the Vengeance in the last film while copying TWoK...they may not want to steer too close to TSFP and kill the Enterprise out right.

Either way, it's cool to finally start getting info beyond casting news/rumors.

Offline Jimi James

• So Say We All
  • Administrator
  • Distinguished Member
  • Abandon Ship
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 20, 2015, 03:45:30 PM »
Some more onset stuff, this time with video showing a new alien and new uniforms.
http://trekmovie.com/2015/08/20/at-last-set-photos-for-star-trek-beyond-is-that-a-xindi-skunk-spoilers/

Offline Razor

• Board Legend
    • View Profile