Author Topic: Star Trek XIII news thread (possible $spoilers$ later)  (Read 10514 times)

Offline CX

• Distinguished Member
  • Bully!
    • View Profile
Re: Star Trek XIII news thread (possible $spoilers$ later)
« Reply #25 on: August 20, 2015, 11:27:11 PM »
The jacket reminds me very strongly of the Mass Effect dress uniforms.
"Black care rarely sits behind a rider whose pace is fast enough." - TR

Offline Fiery Little One

• Distinguished Member
  • Live Long and Prosper
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 14, 2015, 03:34:22 PM »
And now teaser trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XRVD32rnzOw

Looks a touch generic... and you'll never guess what appears to be happening yet again.
Open your mind to new possibilities
-Trip(sort of), The Crossing

Offline Bernd

• Administrator
  • Distinguished Member
  • Lord of the Bored
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 14, 2015, 05:56:55 PM »
Fighting, explosions, flying people, fighting, explosions, flying people, flying motorbike. I've never seen such a dumb Star Trek trailer and I hope it isn't  representative of the final product.

Offline Fiery Little One

• Distinguished Member
  • Live Long and Prosper
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 14, 2015, 06:59:59 PM »
I don't blame you since I feel the same way.

Offline Jimi James

• So Say We All
  • Administrator
  • Distinguished Member
  • Abandon Ship
    • View Profile
    • The New Haven Chronicles
« Reply #29 on: December 14, 2015, 08:55:05 PM »
That was underwhelming. Aside from content, even the style of the trailer itself is lacking. Say what you will about the Abrams films, but at least the trailers gave you an impression of what was going on. There was some substance to them, even if it didn't always pay off in the films. This is...certainly not that, from the looks of it.

Granted, I'm not going to write it off completely due to one bad trailer, but still. Very underwhelming.
https://www.patreon.com/JonMichaelMay
Help me make art, by joining me on Patreon. Various subscriptions tiers are in place, allowing you to support my addictive art habit for as little as $1 a month.

Offline Xero

• Board Legend
  • Let the big man do his job.
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 15, 2015, 12:02:41 AM »
Lin is really good with action and danger, but this just seemed to cheery. We see the Enterprise being torn apart, and everyone is making jokes. However, I want to see more.

As of right now I'm more excited for the new Ninja Turtles.
"Well Steve, I think it's more like we both had this rich neighbor named Xerox and I broke into his house to steal the TV set and found out that you had already stolen it." - Bill Gate's response to Steve Jobs' accusation of theft.

Offline CX

• Distinguished Member
  • Bully!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 15, 2015, 12:34:55 AM »
Well, you can certainly see the Guardians of the Galaxy influence in the marketing at least.  Of course, trailers can lie.  About the only thing I really took away from this is that I've never really gotten why Abrams Trek insisted on ignoring most of the established aliens, and that the Starfleet jacket with yellow shoulder strips kind of reminds me a little of the Mass Effect dress uniforms. 

It's also kind of funny in that when you look at the trailer for the first movie, it almost seems kind of epic and dramatic by comparison.

Kind of sad is that while the trailer for the upcoming Independence Day movie has me actually considering giving it a chance, nothing in this trailer really makes me want to give this movie a chance anymore than the trailers for the last movie made me want to watch that movie.  It'll be interesting to see how it turns out, in any case.  Who knows?  In spite of all the moodiness I've seen suggesting this might actually be the last movie, maybe it'll be successful and there'll be more movies.

Offline Razor

• Board Legend
  • All things not of this world
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 15, 2015, 03:16:25 AM »
The Trailer itself looks nice.  But Im just hoping that the movie isn't completley planet bound.  Im gussing the Beyond part has something to do with it though. 
“The boat dipped and swayed and sometimes took on water, but it did not sink; the two brothers had waterproofed it well. I do not know where it finally fetched up, if it ever did; perhaps it reached the sea and sails there forever, like a magic boat in a fairytale. All I know is that it was still afloat and still running on the breast of the flood when it passed the incorporated town limits of Derry, Maine, and there it passes out of this tale forever.” ― Stephen King, It"
High priest in the Cult of J

Offline CX

• Distinguished Member
  • Bully!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 15, 2015, 04:05:53 AM »
To Infinity and...?  :p

Offline Razor

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 15, 2015, 04:25:28 AM »
Actually I was thinking there might be something inter dimensional or temporal involved.
“The boat dipped and swayed and sometimes took on water, but it did not sink; the two brothers had waterproofed it well. I do not know where it finally fetched up, if it ever did; perhaps it reached the sea and sails there forever, like a magic boat in a fairytale. All I know is that it was still afloat and still running on the breast of the flood when it passed the incorporated town limits of Derry, Maine, and there it passes out of this tale forever.” ― Stephen King, It"

Offline Jimi James

• So Say We All
  • Administrator
  • Distinguished Member
  • Abandon Ship
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 17, 2015, 12:36:48 AM »
Simon Pegg was interviewed about his reaction to the trailer, which is important since he helped write the script. Needless to say, he was disappointed and believes it's not an entirely accurate representation of the film.

It was very action packed.  I was…it was surprising.  I found it to be kind of…the marketing people sort of saying ‘everybody come and see this film, it’s full of action and fun’, when there’s a lot more to it than that.  I didn’t love it, because I know there’s a lot more to the film.  There’s a lot more story, and a lot more character stuff, and a lot more of what I would call ‘Star Trek stuff.’  But, you know, they’ve got to bring a big audience in, they’ve got to bang the drum.  So to Star Trek fans, I’d say hang in there, be patient.

http://trekmovie.com/2015/12/16/simon-pegg-comments-on-reaction-to-star-trek-beyond-trailer/

It will be interesting to see what the next trailer shows and the type of film it tires to make Beyond look like.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2015, 02:02:47 AM by Jimi James »
Help me make art, by joining me on Patreon. Various subscriptions tiers are in place, allowing you to support my addictive art habit for as little as $1 a month.

Offline Fiery Little One

• Distinguished Member
  • Live Long and Prosper
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 17, 2015, 01:44:49 AM »
I've seen this a lot lately in general for sci-fi shows and I find it disappointing.

Offline Razor

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 17, 2015, 02:20:54 AM »
Simon Pegg was interviewed about his reaction to the trailer, which is important since he helped write the script. Needless to say, he was disappointed and believes it's not an entirely accurate representation of the film.

It was very action packed.  I was…it was surprising.  I found it to be kind of…the marketing people sort of saying ‘everybody come and see this film, it’s full of action and fun’, when there’s a lot more to it than that.  I didn’t love it, because I know there’s a lot more to the film.  There’s a lot more story, and a lot more character stuff, and a lot more of what I would call ‘Star Trek stuff.’  But, you know, they’ve got to bring a big audience in, they’ve got to bang the drum.  So to Star Trek fans, I’d say hang in there, be patient.

http://trekmovie.com/2015/12/16/simon-pegg-comments-on-reaction-to-star-trek-beyond-trailer/

It will be interesting to see what the next trailer shows and the type of film it tires to make Beyond look like.

I hope he's correct.

Offline Xero

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 18, 2015, 09:26:17 AM »

I hope he's correct.

Same here. If what he's saying is true, then the marketing team went in the wrong direction...

Apparently Lin wasn't to happy with the trailer either. From the sounds of it, he's upset they put so much action in it, after he and Pegg tried to put some thought into the characters.

So, hopefully what that means is that the movie will be more character driven, than action oriented. Let's cross our fingers.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2015, 09:32:19 AM by Xero »
"Well Steve, I think it's more like we both had this rich neighbor named Xerox and I broke into his house to steal the TV set and found out that you had already stolen it." - Bill Gate's response to Steve Jobs' accusation of theft.

Offline Razor

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 19, 2015, 03:42:25 AM »
Thats good to hear.

Offline TNC

• Board Legend
  • Stuck in the middle of nowhere...
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 30, 2016, 11:39:50 AM »
Here's something on Trek Core that shows a new Starfleet ship the USS Franklin that will play some role in Beyond.  Judging by the size of the bridge window in relation to the rest of the ship, this thing must be tiny.
“Battle is not a simulation. It’s blood and screams and funerals.” – Capt. Georgiou – Star Trek: Discovery – “The Vulcan Hello”

Offline Xero

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 30, 2016, 01:49:15 PM »
Here's something on Trek Core that shows a new Starfleet ship the USS Franklin that will play some role in Beyond.  Judging by the size of the bridge window in relation to the rest of the ship, this thing must be tiny.

Looks like the NX without the rollbar. Could be a very old ship.

Offline Fiery Little One

• Distinguished Member
  • Live Long and Prosper
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 30, 2016, 03:28:34 PM »
I'd say that it's a scout vessel, based on the apparent size of the ship. As for how old... that's an interesting question.

Offline TNC

• Board Legend
  • Stuck in the middle of nowhere...
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 30, 2016, 08:22:22 PM »
Looks like the NX without the rollbar. Could be a very old ship.

Yeah it does.  On another site they mentioned it looks like something called the Loknar-class (something from FASA), which I did a search on Ship Schematics and found this.  The two ships do look similar, though I hope the Franklin's nacelles aren't at that steep of an angle (which from the image on Trek Core, it doesn't look like they are).

As for its age, the nacelles do give off an older ship vibe (they look a lot like the NX-class' nacelles).  So this ship could be like the 23rd century equivalent of all those 80+ year old Mirandas and Excelsiors flying around in TNG times.
“Battle is not a simulation. It’s blood and screams and funerals.” – Capt. Georgiou – Star Trek: Discovery – “The Vulcan Hello”

Offline Razor

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 12, 2016, 06:38:38 AM »
http://trekmovie.com/2016/03/11/iranian-actress-shohreh-aghdashloo-joins-star-trek-beyond-as-film-goes-back-for-reshoots/

Always been a fan of hers.  Im glad to see her in a trek movie I just wish she had a larger role.  Its nice that they're branching out from the usual stock of white actors too.

Christ the drama in the comments section.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2016, 06:42:28 AM by Razor »

Offline Fiery Little One

• Distinguished Member
  • Live Long and Prosper
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: March 12, 2016, 03:22:49 PM »
Interesting development here. There's only one point that the article brings up that I disagree with. They seem to think her character is going to be a civilian. 'High Command' says Starfleet to me.

Offline Jimi James

• So Say We All
  • Administrator
  • Distinguished Member
  • Abandon Ship
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 15, 2016, 06:58:25 PM »
Zoe Saldana showed off her uniform on Instagram...looks like they made some tweaks again.

http://trekmovie.com/2016/03/15/zoe-saldana-shows-off-uhuras-uniform-in-new-pic-from-reshoots/

Offline Fiery Little One

• Distinguished Member
  • Live Long and Prosper
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 16, 2016, 02:00:20 AM »
Hmm, that's better.

Offline CX

• Distinguished Member
  • Bully!
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 16, 2016, 11:02:36 AM »
Cool, they're back to having sleeves that can actually show their rank again.   ::)

Offline Xero

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 20, 2016, 11:14:04 PM »
New trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dCyv5xKIqlw

Much better then the first.