Author Topic: Star Trek XIII news thread (possible $spoilers$ later)  (Read 10493 times)

Offline Fiery Little One

• Distinguished Member
  • Live Long and Prosper
    • View Profile
Re: Star Trek XIII news thread (possible $spoilers$ later)
« Reply #50 on: May 21, 2016, 01:07:53 AM »
Okay, that's more like it.
Open your mind to new possibilities
-Trip(sort of), The Crossing

Offline Razor

• Board Legend
  • All things not of this world
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 21, 2016, 02:33:33 AM »
Im still bothered that we're losing the Enterprise this quickly.
“The boat dipped and swayed and sometimes took on water, but it did not sink; the two brothers had waterproofed it well. I do not know where it finally fetched up, if it ever did; perhaps it reached the sea and sails there forever, like a magic boat in a fairytale. All I know is that it was still afloat and still running on the breast of the flood when it passed the incorporated town limits of Derry, Maine, and there it passes out of this tale forever.” ― Stephen King, It"
High priest in the Cult of J

Offline Jimi James

• So Say We All
  • Administrator
  • Distinguished Member
  • Abandon Ship
    • View Profile
    • The New Haven Chronicles
« Reply #52 on: May 21, 2016, 03:39:57 AM »
Anyone else think that ship at the end looks a lot like an NX class? At least from the back.

In somewhat related news, apparently Justin Linn,(the director) likely with the help of Abrams, went to bat for the Axanar fan film team and got Paramount to drop the lawsuit that was going to potentially shut them down.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2016, 03:42:25 AM by Jimi James »
https://www.patreon.com/JonMichaelMay
Help me make art, by joining me on Patreon. Various subscriptions tiers are in place, allowing you to support my addictive art habit for as little as $1 a month.

Offline Razor

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 21, 2016, 04:02:59 AM »
Anyone else think that ship at the end looks a lot like an NX class? At least from the back.

Yeah definetly.
“The boat dipped and swayed and sometimes took on water, but it did not sink; the two brothers had waterproofed it well. I do not know where it finally fetched up, if it ever did; perhaps it reached the sea and sails there forever, like a magic boat in a fairytale. All I know is that it was still afloat and still running on the breast of the flood when it passed the incorporated town limits of Derry, Maine, and there it passes out of this tale forever.” ― Stephen King, It"

Offline Jimi James

• So Say We All
  • Administrator
  • Distinguished Member
  • Abandon Ship
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 21, 2016, 06:38:30 AM »
If it's not an NX, then it could certainly be an NX era ship of some kind, though it definitely looked like it had the NX saucer and nacelle arrangement.

Of course, if they're destroying the Enterprise to the point that she's scrapped completely, which looks to be the case here, then we're likely to get a new Enterprise possibly at the end of the movie....perhaps Voyage Home style. I wonder if they'll go for the same class and maybe throw on a prefix, take a cue from TMP and use a newly refit Connie, or introduce a whole new class.

While seeing a new class would be cool, I also like the idea of refitting an existing Connie to bring it more in line with its prime universe counterpart. Tone down the nacelles and fix the issue with the neck for starters.

I also didn't realize that it comes out in July. We've seen little of it that I thought it was still a ways off.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2016, 06:42:34 AM by Jimi James »
Help me make art, by joining me on Patreon. Various subscriptions tiers are in place, allowing you to support my addictive art habit for as little as $1 a month.

Offline Razor

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 21, 2016, 07:53:47 AM »
I think the NX-esque ship is the Franklin that we saw a few months ago.

http://trekcore.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/franklin-poster.jpg

The way it flies reminds me of the Defiant.

Of course, if they're destroying the Enterprise to the point that she's scrapped completely, which looks to be the case here

As much as I'd like to see a JJ excelsior class I really hope the Enterprise isnt scrap.  We've barely had any time with it.

Offline Fiery Little One

• Distinguished Member
  • Live Long and Prosper
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 21, 2016, 02:24:50 PM »
For a moment I thought that ship did look lie an NX, but I remembered what we found out about the smaller ship Razor posted about earlier today. Besides Starfleet probably scrapped most of the remaining NX's 50 years ago at this point.

Offline TNC

• Board Legend
  • Stuck in the middle of nowhere...
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 21, 2016, 02:34:02 PM »
Yeah, pretty sure that's the Franklin at the end.  And I agree that this trailer is better than the last one.  The last trailer felt more like the kind of thing you show a week or two before the movie premieres than a first announcement trailer. 

Is it just me, or does the villain have bioluminescent dots all over his face?  Also they've redesigned the phaser pistols.

Besides Starfleet probably scrapped most of the remaining NX's 50 years ago at this point.

The NX is to the TOS-era what the Miranda was to the TNG-era, an old workhorse used for cannon fodder.  :P

In somewhat related news, apparently Justin Linn,(the director) likely with the help of Abrams, went to bat for the Axanar fan film team and got Paramount to drop the lawsuit that was going to potentially shut them down.

While we're thanking him for that, let's also blame him for destroying the Enterprise.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2016, 02:46:03 PM by TNC »
“Battle is not a simulation. It’s blood and screams and funerals.” – Capt. Georgiou – Star Trek: Discovery – “The Vulcan Hello”

Offline Jimi James

• So Say We All
  • Administrator
  • Distinguished Member
  • Abandon Ship
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 22, 2016, 03:09:59 AM »
I had forgotten about the Franklin. That's definitely it.

As far as destroying the Enterprise, I see this is something that could potentially be good. Look at it this way. We all loved the Enterprise-D, but because we lost her in Generations, we got the new and improved Enterprise-E. While we might not have had much time with this current Enterprise, perhaps we'll get something new and exciting. I just hope they don't replace her with a carbon copy of the Connie and slap an A on it, like they just happened to have an entire ship waiting to be used.

Offline Jimi James

• So Say We All
  • Administrator
  • Distinguished Member
  • Abandon Ship
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 22, 2016, 04:42:59 AM »
Was watching the trailer again and noticed a couple things. First, that shot from in front of the ship, below the saucer but above deflector and in front of the torpedo launcher looking back as the enterprise moves away from a station or possibly earth...is badass.

Secondly, I picked out a few shots that I hadn't noticed before, showing the Enterprise crashing on a planet, Kirk and possibly spock crashing through the front bridge window, and kirk firing his phaser as he slides down the hull of the saucer.

It doesn't look good for the Enterprise.

Offline Razor

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: May 23, 2016, 03:13:56 AM »
I had forgotten about the Franklin. That's definitely it.

As far as destroying the Enterprise, I see this is something that could potentially be good. Look at it this way. We all loved the Enterprise-D, but because we lost her in Generations, we got the new and improved Enterprise-E. While we might not have had much time with this current Enterprise, perhaps we'll get something new and exciting. I just hope they don't replace her with a carbon copy of the Connie and slap an A on it, like they just happened to have an entire ship waiting to be used.

Maybe introduce the Excelsior early in this timeline.

Offline TNC

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 23, 2016, 02:55:24 PM »
The Enterprise-A an Excelsior?  Sacrilege!  >:(
 :P

Bonus points if the Excelsior looks something like a refined version of the Vengeance, so it isn't/wasn't too weird that Admiral Marcus had a model of a top secret Section 31 warship on his desk.

“Battle is not a simulation. It’s blood and screams and funerals.” – Capt. Georgiou – Star Trek: Discovery – “The Vulcan Hello”

Offline Razor

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 24, 2016, 12:20:11 AM »
The Enterprise-A an Excelsior?  Sacrilege!  >:(
 :P

Jokes aside that was the original plan after Star Trek 3

Offline TNC

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 26, 2016, 10:32:11 PM »
Some details about the Starbase seen in the trailer.  Apparently it's called Starbase Yorktown (Starbases are supposed to be numbered! Sacrilege!  >:(  :P), and its on the very edge of Federation space.  Kinda looks like a transparent, mini-Dyson sphere.

Offline Razor

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 27, 2016, 12:38:09 AM »
*Begins slow clapping*

Ok that has to be one of the coolest things they've put into one of these movies yet.

Offline Fiery Little One

• Distinguished Member
  • Live Long and Prosper
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 31, 2016, 04:07:14 PM »
A big glass ball, essentially. Considering the alien attack method... I don't see it surviving the movie.

Offline TNC

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 10, 2016, 09:56:59 PM »
http://trekmovie.com/2016/06/10/anovos-debuts-star-trek-beyond-type-1b-phaser/

$300-$400 is way too much for a "some assembly required" prop, but at least it's a good look at the new phaser from Beyond.  The basic shape is similar the same as the previous Abramsverse phaser, but without the shiny chrome bits and a more rectangular barrel.  It still spins.  The only complaint I have is there doesn't seem to be a trigger.

Offline Fiery Little One

• Distinguished Member
  • Live Long and Prosper
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: June 10, 2016, 11:35:49 PM »
Huh. Your last point is a bit eye brow raising since I seem to recall them using the blank spot in between the gold studs near the top of the grip as the 'trigger' in the trailers...

Offline TNC

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: June 11, 2016, 01:43:18 AM »
Well it says it's subject to change so maybe they'll add a button or something there.

Offline Fiery Little One

• Distinguished Member
  • Live Long and Prosper
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: June 11, 2016, 01:46:14 PM »
I could see that being the case.

Offline Fiery Little One

• Distinguished Member
  • Live Long and Prosper
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: June 19, 2016, 02:20:07 PM »
Well, if they continue these movies after this one... They're going to have to do something about Chekov.

Offline Jimi James

• So Say We All
  • Administrator
  • Distinguished Member
  • Abandon Ship
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: June 19, 2016, 02:54:39 PM »
Yes, very said news about Anton Yelchin...27 is so young.  :( :'(

I imagine, they'll say he was transfered or took another assignment, if they mention it at all.

Offline TNC

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: June 19, 2016, 06:49:10 PM »
Damn.  :'(

Also link.  What a way to go too.  :'(

I'm pretty sure they renewed Pine's contract for another movie, and there have been indications of at least a 4th movie planned.

Offline Razor

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: June 20, 2016, 02:41:42 AM »
RIP sir!

Offline Xero

• Board Legend
  • Let the big man do his job.
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: June 20, 2016, 11:27:29 AM »
Damn.  :'(

Also link.  What a way to go too.  :'(

I'm pretty sure they renewed Pine's contract for another movie, and there have been indications of at least a 4th movie planned.

I think Quinto and Urban are signed for a 4th if it's made, as well.

As for Yelchin, they'll either recast, or say Chekov was transferred.

Apparently the car that killed him had a problem when shifting. It would stay in reverse or neutral even if the stick was in park. That model was recalled due to the problem, and from the sounds of it Chrysler is going to take a look at the vehicle to see if that was what happened.
"Well Steve, I think it's more like we both had this rich neighbor named Xerox and I broke into his house to steal the TV set and found out that you had already stolen it." - Bill Gate's response to Steve Jobs' accusation of theft.