Author Topic: The Force Awakens - news and discussion ****Definite Spoilers****  (Read 5153 times)

Offline Jimi James

• So Say We All
  • Administrator
  • Distinguished Member
  • Abandon Ship
    • View Profile
    • The New Haven Chronicles
Kind of surprised no has posted it yet. Here's the new teaser. Go wild with speculation.

Teaser:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ngElkyQ6Rhs

Also, here's a video showing off the droid BB-8, taken from the Star Wars celebreation
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXaDjuU0LHM

And lastly, an article from Io9 about what the Empire and Rebel Alliance are calling themselves these days.
http://io9.com/the-empire-has-a-whole-new-name-in-star-wars-episode-vi-1698337595?utm_campaign=socialflow_io9_facebook&utm_source=io9_facebook&utm_medium=socialflow
« Last Edit: December 19, 2015, 09:34:49 PM by Jimi James »
https://www.patreon.com/JonMichaelMay
Help me make art, by joining me on Patreon. Various subscriptions tiers are in place, allowing you to support my addictive art habit for as little as $1 a month.

Online Fiery Little One

• Distinguished Member
  • Live Long and Prosper
    • View Profile
Re: The Force Awakens - news and discussion ****Possible Spoilers****
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2015, 06:29:46 PM »
Interesting changes to ... Just about everything. I've been hearing all sorts of speculation about the movie, including some in reference to Kylo Ren.
Open your mind to new possibilities
-Trip(sort of), The Crossing

Offline Razor

• Board Legend
  • All things not of this world
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2015, 11:52:01 PM »
The new teaser is awesome!

I mentioned this on facebook but it looks like some people took Jimi's suggestion of more dynamic ship shots to heart.  The visuals of the X-wings flying over the lake are spectacular.

So the rebels and the empire have been going at it for over 30 years?
“The boat dipped and swayed and sometimes took on water, but it did not sink; the two brothers had waterproofed it well. I do not know where it finally fetched up, if it ever did; perhaps it reached the sea and sails there forever, like a magic boat in a fairytale. All I know is that it was still afloat and still running on the breast of the flood when it passed the incorporated town limits of Derry, Maine, and there it passes out of this tale forever.” ― Stephen King, It"
High priest in the Cult of J

Online Fiery Little One

• Distinguished Member
  • Live Long and Prosper
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2015, 01:03:32 AM »
Seems so, but I would imagine that the Empire took some time off to take stock of what happened at Endor and restructured itself accordingly.

Offline Jimi James

• So Say We All
  • Administrator
  • Distinguished Member
  • Abandon Ship
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2015, 07:19:41 AM »
I wonder, with Vader and The Emperor both dead, who is calling the shots these days.
Help me make art, by joining me on Patreon. Various subscriptions tiers are in place, allowing you to support my addictive art habit for as little as $1 a month.

Online Fiery Little One

• Distinguished Member
  • Live Long and Prosper
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2015, 05:05:45 PM »
Well, from what I know of the former EU, it was one of the higher ranking admirals who ultimately did. How that would apply here, I don't know but I would think that would be a good assumption for the moment.

Offline Jimi James

• So Say We All
  • Administrator
  • Distinguished Member
  • Abandon Ship
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2015, 08:57:15 PM »
So, I have tickets to see Episode VII in Imax 3d on Friday. I'm sure I'll have something to say about it. ;)

Online Fiery Little One

• Distinguished Member
  • Live Long and Prosper
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2015, 03:37:05 AM »
I've also reserved tickets for Friday. Just a few more days. ;D

Offline Jimi James

• So Say We All
  • Administrator
  • Distinguished Member
  • Abandon Ship
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2015, 03:51:57 AM »
Just got back from seeing The Force Awakens...now that was a fucking Star Wars film. I won't go into spoilers...yet, but it's good and easily wipes away that foul taste of the prequels.

If you get the chance, definitely do see it.

Online Fiery Little One

• Distinguished Member
  • Live Long and Prosper
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2015, 03:16:08 PM »
Yeah, I saw it yesterday and posted in the reviews thread but I realized rather quickly as I was writing that I had seen it that the only thing I could say was 'just go see it for yourself.'

Offline CX

• Distinguished Member
  • Bully!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2015, 06:40:24 PM »
There could be some spoilers here, simply because I like to discuss specific things.  But this won't be too involved - not like a review or anything.

Things I liked:
-Storm troopers and tie fighters are actually pretty good, and not like the incompetent cannon fodder they've generally come to be known as
-The fighters on both sides can shoot behind them
-The new star destroyer design is pretty cool looking
-A lot of the spirit of the old movies are present
-Far exceeds the bar set by the prequels

Things I disliked:
-The storm troopers are basically Spartan soldiers from Halo instead of regular people
-Kylo Ren is a pale imitation of Darth Vader, and the fight between him and Rei(?) felt unearned
-A lot of the humor seemed out of place, as did Solo's calling out of the tropes
-JJ Abrams (or someone) really doesn't seem to understand the scale of things like a sun compared to a plane
-Kind of technobabble heavy
-Captain Phasma (or whatever her name was) comes off as another Bobba Fett or Darth Maul (played up but barely any role)
-So many coincidences, that just kind of pile up on each other to make the plot work

Questions (spoilers):
-Was there something wrong with the Millennium Falcon's top gun mount?
-If Finn was basically a Spartan and brainwashed from birth, how was he able to decide for himself the right and wrong of things whether his buddy was killed or not?  Shouldn't all of them been more along the lines of Kurt Russel and his fellow soldiers from the '90s movie Soldier?
-How did that pilot make it off of nuTattooine?
-How much did Mark Hamill get paid for a cameo?   :P
-Why does Luke have a creepy robot hand instead of his much more realistic prosthetic from the previous movies?
« Last Edit: December 19, 2015, 07:01:26 PM by CX »
"Black care rarely sits behind a rider whose pace is fast enough." - TR

Online Fiery Little One

• Distinguished Member
  • Live Long and Prosper
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2015, 07:04:40 PM »
On the last of your questions, I've read speculation (from before the movie came out) that he wasn't able to maintain it properly. Seems that it was actually the case.

Offline CX

• Distinguished Member
  • Bully!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2015, 07:22:10 PM »
It came off more as a call-out to the Prequels, of which there were plenty of call-outs in general.  I'd actually put that under "Things I didn't like."

Offline Jimi James

• So Say We All
  • Administrator
  • Distinguished Member
  • Abandon Ship
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2015, 09:34:24 PM »
I had very few problems with it. While I wasn’t expecting it, I thought the humor was spot on throughout and was actually helpful. Think about how dry it would have seemed if the humor had been toned down or replaced by more technobabble or bland exposition.

I was worried that Ford was going to be too old to still pull off playing Han, but he really nailed it. I think part of that was due to letting him play up his role as a bit more humorous.

I really liked the new characters, probably Finn the least, because it felt like he was trying a bit too hard, but still his relationship with Rey and Poe (I definitely want to see more of Poe) are solid. They did a great job balancing all of them.

The thing about Ren being weaker than Vader is that, that’s the point I think. Ren hasn’t even finished training. Where Vader was always calm and collected and in Empire beat the shit out of Luke because Luke was basically still an apprentice facing a full blown Sith Lord, Ren struggles with a girl with no training at all and lets his emotions get the best of him. He’s still young, undisciplined, and prone to fits of rage. I really think that is meant to show that within him, there is still very much a battle between the light and dark side. And at the same time, it would have felt wrong if he had simply been another Vader level Sith, wrecking anyone he came into contact with. We would be here complaining about him being a wannabe Vader. I definitely think we’ll see him grow into his own in the next two films, and hopefully get a better look at his posse, the Knights of Ren.

That being said, his use of the Force was impressive. I liked how it was shown as still powerful, but toned way down from the prequels. Stopping that blaster bolt in mid-flight was awesome.

I agree that Abrams needs some sort of science advisor. That whole being able to see the new super weapon fire and destroy those republic planets from a planet’s surface, was very similar to Spock watching Vulcan implode. It just doesn’t work that way and it took me out of the movie for a bit.

I would have liked to have seen more fighters than just the new X-wings. It’s one of thing I always liked about Star Wars is that there were a wide variety of fighters. This was basically just X-wings versus Tie Fighters.

That being said, this was probably some of the slickest and most visually impressive dog fighting we’ve seen in Star Wars, including Rey flying the Falcon.

I definitely expected more from Captain Phasma, given how much press the actress was given. I know she’s coming back for the next one so I’m glad they didn’t merely kill her…though it did feel like they gave her the shaft in this film. Maybe she had a larger role that was cut due to time.

It borrows a lot from New Hope…though I’m not sure that was a bad thing. Technically all Abrams had to do was make a film that was better than the prequels, which he did by a near immeasurable sum. At the same time however, he also had the tall order of setting up a new trilogy and establishing this new world. So showing something familiar as a means of easing us into the new material was a safe bet. (It would have been nice if he had done this well when he made Into Darkness and ‘borrowed’ things from Wrath of Khan.). They did a very good job of bridging the gap between the old and the new, pointing to things subtly like, “hey, remember this, yeah you remember this and how cool it was, well look at this new thing. This is like that and it’s pretty cool right?”

And we’re all like, “yeah, that new thing is cool.”

I sort of wanted Luke to say something there at the end, maybe something linking him to Obi Wan or even Yoda, to show that he’s taken on that sort of ancient relic/myth status now. That being said, I think that final reveal worked well, even though the shot of Luke and Rey (who I’m assuming is his daughter until I hear otherwise) lingered for a bit too long.

I agree about the coincidence thing. That ship is garbage…ok, let’s take the garbage ship. And then low and behold, it’s the Falcon. Han and Chewie just happen to find them. Granted, they were actively looking, but still. There are other examples. I can see why they did it though, I suppose and for me it’s not a huge deal. These are the characters and they have to run into each other at some point, even if it bends belief a bit.

I liked that they gave chewie more to do and…say? Yeah, say I guess. He was more involved.
So…that death. They killed Han Solo. His son, Kylo Ren killed him!

It’s a ballsy move, but it’s one they needed to make to move the story and the Star Wars universe forward. The stakes are higher now and this film and everyone that follows will be better for it.

I want to go see it again!

Offline Bernd

• Administrator
  • Distinguished Member
  • Lord of the Bored
    • View Profile
Re: The Force Awakens - news and discussion ****Definite Spoilers****
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2015, 11:23:47 AM »
It was the Star Wars movie I expected and too much of the movie I expected. The clearly biggest bummer was the big reset button. The New Republic was barely introduced and then destroyed by the Starkiller Base much like on a side note, effectively creating the very same situation as in "A New Hope".

The list of re-used themes is extremely long anyway. The wunderkind on a desert planet? We've had that already twice. A cute droid with important plans of the rebellion strands on a desert planet? Quite familiar too. The Starkiller Base? A Death Star clone, both in form and function, only much bigger (as we wouldn't have otherwise expected). The plan to destroy the Base? The same as usual, and routinely forged in two minutes. The villain is related to another main character on the bright side? Of course (I expect the next movie to tell us whose daughter/sister/niece Rey is). And I'm not even talking of the hundreds of cues and quotes, many of which were just too obvious.

Why not save the Starkiller Base for the next movie? Why not save the New Republic as a model for a better galaxy? Why not incorporate anything surprising and new?

There were only two things that surprised me. Well, Han Solo's death is dramatic for a moment but anticlimactic in light of a second new movie to come. He would have been perfect as Rey's fatherly friend, and it would have been a good idea to have him meet Luke again.

Finn is an ordinary stormtrooper, not anyone who can likely use the Force. I dig the idea that he switches sides and I like the character. But the way he evolves to a warrior with extraordinary forces (even against Ren!) is just not credible.

Well, and Rey isn't credible either. The Force is strong with her but you don't pilot a ship without any previous experience, you don't speak Wookie when you grow up somewhere in the desert, and you definitely don't stand a chance against a master of evil like Ren (when you are holding a lightsaber for the very first time). And don't get me started on the Millenium Falcon that has been resting on the planet for years but is fueled up and ready for launch, with the keys behind the sunshade.

Oh well, and I completely agree about Captain Phasma being the new Boba Fett. 

Overall, I found it quite entertaining and I can live with the many deficiencies but it lacks any kind of vision. Everything was much more predictable than in my most pessimistic expectations. When the rebels planned the attack on the Death Star III I thought by myself "oh no, they can't be serious". It was comparable to my thoughts when Kirk saved the ship in STID.

I would go as far and nominate "The Force Awakens" for the Star Wars film with the worst story but I think it is still a bit better than Episode I. So my list is like this (in descending order):

IV, V, III, VI,  VII, II, I
(edit: switched II and VII)
« Last Edit: January 26, 2016, 04:55:07 AM by Bernd »

Offline CX

• Distinguished Member
  • Bully!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2015, 01:40:23 PM »
I like it better than all the prequels, personally.  I'd actually rank it just beneath the other rehash movie, Return of the Jedi, simply because RotJ had the temptation of Luke and the redemption of Vader, and TFA was mainly popcorn movie fun.

Offline Maphisto86

• The times they are disorienting.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2016, 12:56:16 AM »
My reaction to the film was mixed. At first I was wowed by the spectacle but after cooling down for a bit I noticed some of the drawbacks mentioned by all of you. The writing definitely could have used more Lawrence Kasdan and less J.J. Abrams. Michael Arndt is not a bad screenwriter but I am unsure that he was the best choice for this project. Frankly I was surprised it was as good as it was considering the relative lack of time it took to produce it. Then again movies are produced in two years from scratch to screen fairly often these days.

Many of the biggest reveals and dramatic moments were spot on but I cannot help thinking it could have waited for the second film. Things like Han Solo's confrontation with Kylo Ren, the new superweapon, etc. Not to mention planets being a little different; Jakku is far too similar to Tatooine and in the art book for the film Jakku actually was more of a lush wasteland. However I would be lying through my teeth if I said I hated the film and could not forgive its many plot holes or derivative elements. I hope now that the stage is set we will see much more dynamic and better written sequels with more exotic locales. Not to mention character development for Rey, Finn and Kylo Ren (turning from a frustrated but powerful novice and into something more deserving of Darth Vader's legacy).   
"To see ourselves as others see us is a most salutary gift. Hardly less important is the capacity to see others as they see themselves."  - Aldous Huxley, The Doors of Perception.

Offline Razor

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2016, 03:26:14 PM »
I quite enjoyed it.  I wish we had seen more of Poe he was pretty cool.  I definetly did enjoy the more dynamic starship flights this time around.  I'll post more later as Im still digesting it.
“The boat dipped and swayed and sometimes took on water, but it did not sink; the two brothers had waterproofed it well. I do not know where it finally fetched up, if it ever did; perhaps it reached the sea and sails there forever, like a magic boat in a fairytale. All I know is that it was still afloat and still running on the breast of the flood when it passed the incorporated town limits of Derry, Maine, and there it passes out of this tale forever.” ― Stephen King, It"

Offline Razor

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2016, 04:48:02 PM »
Ok here we go.

Things I liked:
-Poe Damaron...really liked the character hope we get more of him. 
-BB-8 nuff said.
-More practical effects and real locals.
-The Finalizer was great new star destroyer design and it really felt large.
-See I didnt have a problem with Kylo Ren.  I rather enjoyed the character.
-While Phasma (love her inspiration) only had a few precious scenes I really liked how menacing she was lets hope they do more with her in the future movies.
-Finn was great.  I already saw John Boyega in "Attack the Block" so I knew he would be great for the role.
-Daisy Ridley was great as Rey.
-The millenium Falcon doing what it does best.
-Seriously the new starship flights and maneuvers were great!
-Really enjoyed General Hux.  Hope to see more of the petulant nazi imperial.
-The humor was great too.

Things I disliked:
-Snoke...dont get me wrong Andy serkis did fine its just his design was terrible.  That was it just a spooky looking guy with scars I was expecting something more elobarate.
-You know the CG ships looked awesome but uh some of the CG aliens looked terrible.
-I know people wanted less politics in the sequels but I really would like to find out more about how the republic is doing since Endor.
-No republic capital ships.  Are they using Star Destroyers?
-I hope Leia gets more to do in the next movie.

Altogether I enjoyed it If i had to rank it

TESB
ROTJ
TFA
ANH
ROS
TPM
AOTC

Online Fiery Little One

• Distinguished Member
  • Live Long and Prosper
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2016, 05:56:08 PM »
I think some of the questions you have are answered in some of the supplemental material like the visual dictionary. (I wouldn't know personally since I haven't taken the time to pick any of it up. So far anyway.)

Offline Xero

• Board Legend
  • Let the big man do his job.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 31, 2016, 12:54:00 AM »
So, I finally got to see the movie.

Question: If you started to pull power from a star like that, shouldn't it have, you know, exploded? Hell, shouldn't that uber-Death Star have exploded?
"Well Steve, I think it's more like we both had this rich neighbor named Xerox and I broke into his house to steal the TV set and found out that you had already stolen it." - Bill Gate's response to Steve Jobs' accusation of theft.

Online Fiery Little One

• Distinguished Member
  • Live Long and Prosper
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 31, 2016, 01:43:46 AM »
All in one go, probably. With the amount of time implied... I'm not sure.