Author Topic: Re: Star Trek Discovery - Official Episode Dicussion Thread - $$$SPOLIERS$$$  (Read 31173 times)

Offline Xero

• Board Legend
  • Let the big man do his job.
    • View Profile
http://www.cbs.com/shows/star-trek-series/

A totally new Star Trek television series is coming in January 2017! The new series will blast off with a special preview broadcast of the premiere episode on the CBS Television Network, and the premiere episode and all subsequent first-run episodes will then be available exclusively in the United States on CBS All Access.

The brand-new Star Trek will introduce new characters seeking imaginative new worlds and new civilizations, while exploring the dramatic contemporary themes that have been a signature of the franchise since its inception in 1966.

Alex Kurtzman will serve as executive producer for the series. Kurtzman co-wrote and produced the blockbuster films Star Trek (2009) with Roberto Orci, and Star Trek Into Darkness (2013) with Orci and Damon Lindelof. Both films were produced and directed by J.J. Abrams.

The new series will be produced by CBS Television Studios in association with Kurtzman’s Secret Hideout. Kurtzman and Heather Kadin will serve as executive producers. Kurtzman is also an executive producer for the hit CBS television series Scorpion and Limitless, along with Kadin and Orci, and for Hawaii Five-0 with Orci.

The new program will be the first original series developed specifically for U.S. audiences for CBS All Access, a cross-platform streaming service that brings viewers thousands of episodes from CBS’s current and past seasons on demand, plus the ability to stream their local CBS Television stations live for $5.99 per month. CBS All Access already offers every episode of all previous Star Trek television series.

Sign up for a free trial of CBS All Access and prep for the new show with every episode of the classic Star Trek series available commercial-free!

Star Trek, which will celebrate its 50th anniversary in 2016, is one of the most successful entertainment franchises of all time. The original Star Trek spawned a dozen feature films and five successful television series. Almost half a century later, the Star Trek television series are licensed on a variety of different platforms in more than 190 countries, and the franchise still generates more than a billion social media impressions every month.

Born from the mind of Gene Roddenberry, the original Star Trek series debuted on Sept. 8, 1966 and aired for three seasons – a short run that belied the influence it would have for generations. The series also broke new ground in storytelling and cultural mores, providing a progressive look at topics including race relations, global politics and the environment.

“There is no better time to give Star Trek fans a new series than on the heels of the original show’s 50th anniversary celebration,” said David Stapf, President, CBS Television Studios. “Everyone here has great respect for this storied franchise, and we’re excited to launch its next television chapter in the creative mind and skilled hands of Alex Kurtzman, someone who knows this world and its audience intimately.”

“This new series will premiere to the national CBS audience, then boldly go where no first-run Star Trek series has gone before – directly to its millions of fans through CBS All Access,” said Marc DeBevoise, Executive Vice President/General Manager – CBS Digital Media. “We’ve experienced terrific growth for CBS All Access, expanding the service across affiliates and devices in a very short time. We now have an incredible opportunity to accelerate this growth with the iconic Star Trek, and its devoted and passionate fan base, as our first original series.”

The next chapter of the Star Trek franchise will also be distributed concurrently for television and multiple platforms around the world by CBS Studios International.

“Every day, an episode of the Star Trek franchise is seen in almost every country in the world,” said Armando Nuñez, President and CEO, CBS Global Distribution Group. “We can’t wait to introduce Star Trek’s next voyage on television to its vast global fan base.”

CBS All Access offers its customers more than 7,500 episodes from the current television season, previous seasons and classic shows on demand nationwide, as well as the ability to stream local CBS stations live in more than 110 markets. Subscribers can use the service online and across devices via CBS.com, the CBS App for iOS, Android and Windows 10, as well as on connected devices such as Apple TV, Android TV, Chromecast, Roku players and Roku TV, with more connected devices to come.

The new television series is not related to the upcoming feature film Star Trek Beyond, which is scheduled to be distributed by Paramount Pictures in summer 2016.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2017, 01:19:06 AM by Jimi James »
"Well Steve, I think it's more like we both had this rich neighbor named Xerox and I broke into his house to steal the TV set and found out that you had already stolen it." - Bill Gate's response to Steve Jobs' accusation of theft.

Offline Fiery Little One

• Distinguished Member
  • Live Long and Prosper
    • View Profile
Re: New Series in Development!
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2015, 03:59:18 PM »
I'd like it if they just went back to the old timeline. Visiting JJ's World has been interesting, but I'm more interested in getting back to what the books have been covering lately.
Open your mind to new possibilities
-Trip(sort of), The Crossing

Offline Razor

• Board Legend
  • All things not of this world
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2015, 09:08:06 PM »
Here's hoping its good.
“The boat dipped and swayed and sometimes took on water, but it did not sink; the two brothers had waterproofed it well. I do not know where it finally fetched up, if it ever did; perhaps it reached the sea and sails there forever, like a magic boat in a fairytale. All I know is that it was still afloat and still running on the breast of the flood when it passed the incorporated town limits of Derry, Maine, and there it passes out of this tale forever.” ― Stephen King, It"
High priest in the Cult of J

Offline TNC

• Board Legend
  • Stuck in the middle of nowhere...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2015, 11:05:59 PM »
1) From the way its worded it looks like it will only be avalible online to people in the U.S.
2) If its online only then I won't be able to watch it very often with my crappy internet...
3) But there's this.
It will also "be distributed concurrently for television and multiple platforms around the world by CBS Studios International."

So does this mean that it will also be on TV in the U.S.? Or is it just on TV for international customers? 

If it turns out that it gets released on TV a week or so after the online release, then that wouldn't be too bad.  It would suck though to have to wait a year for the DVD's to come out...
“Battle is not a simulation. It’s blood and screams and funerals.” – Capt. Georgiou – Star Trek: Discovery – “The Vulcan Hello”

Offline Xero

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2015, 11:38:42 PM »
1) From the way its worded it looks like it will only be avalible online to people in the U.S.
2) If its online only then I won't be able to watch it very often with my crappy internet...
3) But there's this.
It will also "be distributed concurrently for television and multiple platforms around the world by CBS Studios International."

So does this mean that it will also be on TV in the U.S.? Or is it just on TV for international customers? 

If it turns out that it gets released on TV a week or so after the online release, then that wouldn't be too bad.  It would suck though to have to wait a year for the DVD's to come out...

I have a feeling they mean that International viewers will get it on whatever network picks it up. Here in Canada that means there's a high probability that Space will be the ones airing it.

I'd like it if they just went back to the old timeline. Visiting JJ's World has been interesting, but I'm more interested in getting back to what the books have been covering lately.

I honestly would like them to jump ahead a couple hundred years.
"Well Steve, I think it's more like we both had this rich neighbor named Xerox and I broke into his house to steal the TV set and found out that you had already stolen it." - Bill Gate's response to Steve Jobs' accusation of theft.

Offline Razor

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2015, 06:34:41 AM »
Enterprise-J
“The boat dipped and swayed and sometimes took on water, but it did not sink; the two brothers had waterproofed it well. I do not know where it finally fetched up, if it ever did; perhaps it reached the sea and sails there forever, like a magic boat in a fairytale. All I know is that it was still afloat and still running on the breast of the flood when it passed the incorporated town limits of Derry, Maine, and there it passes out of this tale forever.” ― Stephen King, It"

Offline Fiery Little One

• Distinguished Member
  • Live Long and Prosper
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2015, 03:03:48 PM »
3) But there's this.

I have a feeling they mean that International viewers will get it on whatever network picks it up. Here in Canada that means there's a high probability that Space will be the ones airing it.

I honestly would like them to jump ahead a couple hundred years.

That would be alright, I just want it to be in the original timeline again.

Offline CX

• Distinguished Member
  • Bully!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2015, 12:35:53 AM »
I honestly hope it isn't.  Given who's in charge of it, I honestly expect it to be a pretty paint by numbers modern sci-fi.  So if it's not really worth watching, it's pretty easy to ignore.  If it turns out to be good, though, not being a part of the "prime" universe or even the JJ-verse would allow it to be good on its own merits.  There are plenty of examples of this kind of thing in anime, and honestly I don't think being set in different universes would hurt the show in any way.
"Black care rarely sits behind a rider whose pace is fast enough." - TR

Offline Jimi James

• So Say We All
  • Administrator
  • Distinguished Member
  • Abandon Ship
    • View Profile
    • The New Haven Chronicles
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2015, 12:29:11 PM »
I don't think it can actually be part of the Abrams universe because that's owned by Paramount. Since this will be a CBS show, it either has to pick up with the prime universe or be a completely new universe. My guess, if I was a betting man, is that they put it in the prime universe, but set it so far in the future that they don't have to worry about touching any of the previous series.

Actually, if I had to guess, I bet they do something about a new ship and crew being the first official starfleet ship to explore another galaxy. That way they play in the prime universe, but not really have to worry about anything that happens in our galaxy.

In any case, I was hoping that they would venture beyond the creative talent of the movies when looking for someone to helm the next series. I like the movie's for what they are, but unless they bring in some heavy writers who can really re-shape the show like what happened with DS9, I'm not exactly expecting greatness.
https://www.patreon.com/JonMichaelMay
Help me make art, by joining me on Patreon. Various subscriptions tiers are in place, allowing you to support my addictive art habit for as little as $1 a month.

Offline Fiery Little One

• Distinguished Member
  • Live Long and Prosper
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2015, 03:15:03 PM »
As far as production team... If they're not retired/uninterested in coming back, I'd like to see some returning faces. The Okudas as an off hand example.

Offline TNC

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2015, 03:41:42 PM »
Some food for thought, though several people on the forum have said similar things in the past.

Also, for those who have played STO, how would you feel if material from the game became part of the new show's canon?
“Battle is not a simulation. It’s blood and screams and funerals.” – Capt. Georgiou – Star Trek: Discovery – “The Vulcan Hello”

Offline Fiery Little One

• Distinguished Member
  • Live Long and Prosper
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2015, 04:08:22 PM »
I could bring up B5, from roughly the same period. It wasn't afraid to shake things up. Its only problem is that it was on at least 10 years to early so they could show everything they would have liked. Ivanova/Talia being the biggest example I could think of off the top of my head.

Offline Razor

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2015, 11:09:00 PM »
I don't think it can actually be part of the Abrams universe because that's owned by Paramount. Since this will be a CBS show, it either has to pick up with the prime universe or be a completely new universe. My guess, if I was a betting man, is that they put it in the prime universe, but set it so far in the future that they don't have to worry about touching any of the previous series.

Actually, if I had to guess, I bet they do something about a new ship and crew being the first official starfleet ship to explore another galaxy. That way they play in the prime universe, but not really have to worry about anything that happens in our galaxy.

In any case, I was hoping that they would venture beyond the creative talent of the movies when looking for someone to helm the next series. I like the movie's for what they are, but unless they bring in some heavy writers who can really re-shape the show like what happened with DS9, I'm not exactly expecting greatness.

Warner brothers has already set a precedent for this with the DCmu and DCTVU universes going at the same time.  Im not particularly bothered by Kurtzman being involved.  Out of him and Orci he seems to be the more temperate of the 2 (not that I have problems with either one really) and Im sure they'll get some decent writers for this.  Does anyone know if Manny Coto is doing anything?

Offline Xero

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2015, 01:12:04 AM »
Some food for thought, though several people on the forum have said similar things in the past.

Also, for those who have played STO, how would you feel if material from the game became part of the new show's canon?

It depends on the material. Some of the ships in STO could easily be carried over, like many of the T6 Federation ships. As long as the show takes place in the 25th century.

Offline CX

• Distinguished Member
  • Bully!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2015, 01:37:41 AM »
The problem I see with that is then it kind of would be doing the same thing as Stargate in its approach to spinoffs, which is that they added another symbol to the stargate address and essentially just set the new spin-off further away than the last show.  This may not necessarily be a bad thing, but it came off as kind of lame to me.  Of course for me, the lamest thing was how obvious it was that SG: Universe wanted to be BSG.
"Black care rarely sits behind a rider whose pace is fast enough." - TR

Offline TNC

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2015, 11:31:30 AM »
It depends on the material. Some of the ships in STO could easily be carried over, like many of the T6 Federation ships. As long as the show takes place in the 25th century.

Any material really, I was thinking more along the lines of story material at the time I posted the comment.

Personally I wouldn't mind the Romulan Republic being the new Romulan state (assuming its set post Hobus disaster in the Prime universe) or seeing the Odyssey-class flying around.  The whole "Federation in conflict with the entire galaxy" bit would be a little too much though.

Offline Xero

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2015, 11:49:06 PM »

Any material really, I was thinking more along the lines of story material at the time I posted the comment.

Personally I wouldn't mind the Romulan Republic being the new Romulan state (assuming its set post Hobus disaster in the Prime universe) or seeing the Odyssey-class flying around.  The whole "Federation in conflict with the entire galaxy" bit would be a little too much though.

That was the Iconians manipulating the Borg, 8471, and Vaadwaur. Of course all that did was drive the Federation, Klingons, and Romulans closer together, and the formation of a new alliance between several Delta Quadrant species.

Offline TNC

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2015, 03:29:49 PM »
^I know that.  It's just that Trek has already done that in DS9 with the lead up to the Dominion War (i.e. the Founder's infiltrating and pitting the Alpha Quadrant powers against each other).  But I suppose that if they set it far enough in the future and that's all backstory stuff then it doesn't matter...

Also the weakest story element in STO has to be the True Way.  "Hey you remember how Dukat made an alliance with the Dominion that wound up virtually destroying our society?  Let's do that again to bring back the glory days of our society!"  Morons...

Offline Xero

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2015, 11:37:18 PM »
^I know that.  It's just that Trek has already done that in DS9 with the lead up to the Dominion War (i.e. the Founder's infiltrating and pitting the Alpha Quadrant powers against each other).  But I suppose that if they set it far enough in the future and that's all backstory stuff then it doesn't matter...

Also the weakest story element in STO has to be the True Way.  "Hey you remember how Dukat made an alliance with the Dominion that wound up virtually destroying our society?  Let's do that again to bring back the glory days of our society!"  Morons...

Going by the first two missions in the revamped Card arc, they've replaced the Dominion with the Terran Empire.

Offline Razor

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2015, 10:04:51 AM »
I think they should use Doctor Who as a template.  Start out with newer story elements and concepts but as the show goes on call back to some older story elements for big episodes and arcs.  I say set in the 26th century aboard the Enterprise-J its already made an appearance and it has a bit of a cult following in the fan base.  Plus some of Doug Drexler's concepts would make great visuals (acre sized deck windows, universities on board).

Offline TNC

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 12, 2015, 03:46:07 PM »
Going by the first two missions in the revamped Card arc, they've replaced the Dominion with the Terran Empire.

Glad to hear they're revamping the Cardassian arc.  A lot of those missions were really bad, especially compared with the more recent ones and the other revamped ones.  I guess it's nice they're doing something with the Terran Empire, because honestly the two or so missions that dealt with them just felt like filler/"Hey let's throw the Mirror Universe in, cause reasons!".  On the other hand, don't much care for the Terran Empire honestly (see previous sentence).

Anywho... As for the new series, I kinda want them to do a more serial/arc based series.  Seems like there would be less risk involved since its an online distribution and they wouldn't have to worry as much about Nelson ratings.  Though stand-alone episodes are fine, kinda like Stargate had long running arcs with scattered random adventures.  That or do like Person of Interest and start off with adventures-of-the-week and slowly build up mythology/backstory and story arcs as it goes on.  (Though since it's set in an established universe, there wouldn't be as much mythology/backstory to build up)

Offline Fiery Little One

• Distinguished Member
  • Live Long and Prosper
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 12, 2015, 03:53:36 PM »
Overall, yeah, they wouldn't need to establish the universe as a whole just the particulars of this show's setting. Then they can build on that.

Offline Xero

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 13, 2015, 09:10:50 AM »
I think it depends on when they set it. If it's only a few years after Voyager, then there's no need to have a lot of set up to the backstory. But if it's set several decades, or even centuries later, they'll have to set up the back story to explain how things got to where they are.

Next Gen had no problem filling in some of the gaps in the 70+ years between TOS and TNG. Though it maybe a little harder if there are several centuries between TNG era and this new series.

Glad to hear they're revamping the Cardassian arc.  A lot of those missions were really bad, especially compared with the more recent ones and the other revamped ones.  I guess it's nice they're doing something with the Terran Empire, because honestly the two or so missions that dealt with them just felt like filler/"Hey let's throw the Mirror Universe in, cause reasons!".  On the other hand, don't much care for the Terran Empire honestly (see previous sentence).

Anywho... As for the new series, I kinda want them to do a more serial/arc based series.  Seems like there would be less risk involved since its an online distribution and they wouldn't have to worry as much about Nelson ratings.  Though stand-alone episodes are fine, kinda like Stargate had long running arcs with scattered random adventures.  That or do like Person of Interest and start off with adventures-of-the-week and slowly build up mythology/backstory and story arcs as it goes on.  (Though since it's set in an established universe, there wouldn't be as much mythology/backstory to build up)

They even replaced Mirror O'Brien's son with Mirror Leeta, who actually is the boss for the new Adventure zone, where she's an admiral and commanding the Mirror Enterprise.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2015, 09:12:46 AM by Xero »

Offline Razor

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 09, 2016, 12:51:15 PM »
Bryan Fuller named as show runner.

http://variety.com/2016/tv/news/star-trek-bryan-fuller-showrunner-cbs-hannibal-1201700606/

I know he's talked bout doing more Star trek before.  So for so good.

Offline Xero

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 09, 2016, 01:38:13 PM »
One step in the right direction.