Author Topic: Re: Star Trek Discovery - Official Episode Dicussion Thread - $$$SPOLIERS$$$  (Read 31046 times)

Offline Fiery Little One

• Distinguished Member
  • Live Long and Prosper
    • View Profile
Re: New Series in Development!
« Reply #25 on: February 09, 2016, 03:23:41 PM »
Well, he counts in terms of something I was after: having somebody from the old guard involved.
Open your mind to new possibilities
-Trip(sort of), The Crossing

Offline TNC

• Board Legend
  • Stuck in the middle of nowhere...
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 09, 2016, 04:48:37 PM »
From the article:

The creative plan is for the series to introduce new characters and civilizations, existing outside of the mythology charted by previous series and the current movie franchises.

Sounds like it will be set in the 25th century (or later), possibly in a new galaxy.  Interesting that they've got a "new guard" person (Kurtzman)  alongside an old guard person. 

Also they mention a third EP, Heather Kadin, who has been a producer on a few TV shows including Scorpion, Limitless, and Sleepy Hollow.  Not sure how I feel about that, Scorpion is entertaining, but you almost have to turn your brain off to suspend disbelief sometimes (though that's more of a writer's issue than producer I guess).  Haven't watched the other two shows so can't say much about them...
« Last Edit: February 09, 2016, 05:04:37 PM by TNC »
“Battle is not a simulation. It’s blood and screams and funerals.” – Capt. Georgiou – Star Trek: Discovery – “The Vulcan Hello”

Offline Data007

• Eminent Member
  • What? You don't have voices in your head?
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 11, 2016, 09:00:42 PM »
I have hope for the best.
"Titans are the God-Machines of the Adeptus Mechanicus. Imagine a city. Now imagine that city is angry at you, can walk, and has continent leveling weapons aimed at you. And is inhabited by more things that hate you. You have a rough idea of a Titan."

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied chains us all irrevocably." Judge Aaron Satie

New Haven Chronicles

Offline Xero

• Board Legend
  • Let the big man do his job.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 23, 2016, 01:50:02 PM »
Apparently, there's a rumor that Tony Todd is on the short list as series regular.

http://www.trektoday.com/content/2016/02/star-trek-seven-casting-rumor/
"Well Steve, I think it's more like we both had this rich neighbor named Xerox and I broke into his house to steal the TV set and found out that you had already stolen it." - Bill Gate's response to Steve Jobs' accusation of theft.

Offline Fiery Little One

• Distinguished Member
  • Live Long and Prosper
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 23, 2016, 03:18:34 PM »
Hmm, I don't mind him at all. Minor correction though. The article says he played Worf's older brother, that's wrong. Kurn was the younger brother.

Offline TNC

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 23, 2016, 11:23:12 PM »
Interesting if true, also he was a Hirogen in an episode of Voyager.
“Battle is not a simulation. It’s blood and screams and funerals.” – Capt. Georgiou – Star Trek: Discovery – “The Vulcan Hello”

Offline Razor

• Board Legend
  • All things not of this world
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 24, 2016, 04:31:47 AM »
I hope he gets it.  He was able to carry "the Visitor" damn near by himself and he's done Trek before.  Here's hoping Jeff Combs gets a regular role too.
“The boat dipped and swayed and sometimes took on water, but it did not sink; the two brothers had waterproofed it well. I do not know where it finally fetched up, if it ever did; perhaps it reached the sea and sails there forever, like a magic boat in a fairytale. All I know is that it was still afloat and still running on the breast of the flood when it passed the incorporated town limits of Derry, Maine, and there it passes out of this tale forever.” ― Stephen King, It"
High priest in the Cult of J

Offline TNC

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 24, 2016, 05:05:45 PM »
Tony Todd as captain and Jeff Combs as his Andorian X.O. = <Ear splitting nerd glee noise>

Offline Fiery Little One

• Distinguished Member
  • Live Long and Prosper
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 24, 2016, 05:20:44 PM »
The crowner on that would be that he turns out to be a descendant of Shran.

Offline TNC

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 26, 2016, 01:10:11 PM »
The crowner on that would be that he turns out to be a descendant of Shran.

<Ear splitting nerd glee noise>

Although, the whole "let's have an actor play an ancestor/descendant of another character they played" is a little fanyboyish I guess...  And you could make the "smaller universe" argument if all these ancestor/descendants running around...

Anywho... Some other people I'd like them to get: Katee Sackoff and/or Grace Park (although she's probably way to busy with Hawaii Five-0), just about any Star Trek alum who would agree to appear on the show would be great, Joe Flanigan/Paul McGillion/Amanda Tapping/Christopher Judge just so someone from Stargate can be on Star Trek for a change (although Paul McGillion was already in a barely noticeable part in the 2009 movie).

Offline Razor

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 26, 2016, 03:18:08 PM »
I'd like to see them get Gina Torres (She's make a great captain), Jimmy Smits, David Blue, Naveen Andrews at least.

Oh and...

http://trekmovie.com/2016/02/26/breaking-nicholas-meyer-named-to-star-trek-all-access-writing-staff/

Hmm things are getting interesting.
“The boat dipped and swayed and sometimes took on water, but it did not sink; the two brothers had waterproofed it well. I do not know where it finally fetched up, if it ever did; perhaps it reached the sea and sails there forever, like a magic boat in a fairytale. All I know is that it was still afloat and still running on the breast of the flood when it passed the incorporated town limits of Derry, Maine, and there it passes out of this tale forever.” ― Stephen King, It"

Offline Fiery Little One

• Distinguished Member
  • Live Long and Prosper
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 26, 2016, 03:34:32 PM »
Optimism rising.

Offline Xero

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 26, 2016, 04:05:14 PM »
They are really diving into the pool of Trek veterans for this one.

I hope they next get LeVar Burton and Jonathan Frakes to direct some episodes.
"Well Steve, I think it's more like we both had this rich neighbor named Xerox and I broke into his house to steal the TV set and found out that you had already stolen it." - Bill Gate's response to Steve Jobs' accusation of theft.

Offline TNC

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 26, 2016, 04:36:14 PM »
I'd like to see them get Gina Torres (She's make a great captain), Jimmy Smits, David Blue, Naveen Andrews at least.

Oh and...

http://trekmovie.com/2016/02/26/breaking-nicholas-meyer-named-to-star-trek-all-access-writing-staff/

Hmm things are getting interesting.

I agree with the highlighted.  Never watched anything with the last guy, so I don't have an opinion.  Also, wouldn't mind seeing Robert Carlyle...

Regarding the news, that's pretty good.

I hope they next get LeVar Burton and Jonathan Frakes to direct some episodes.

Seconded.

Offline Razor

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 27, 2016, 03:50:57 AM »
Thirded.  Hell get John to direct the pilot.

Offline TNC

• Board Legend
    • View Profile

Offline Fiery Little One

• Distinguished Member
  • Live Long and Prosper
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 01, 2016, 03:09:29 PM »
Interesting. I'm kind of hoping that Space will pick it up when the time comes.

Offline Xero

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 01, 2016, 05:39:25 PM »
Interesting. I'm kind of hoping that Space will pick it up when the time comes.

IIRC they said outside the US regular networks will be airing it. So chances are Space will have it.

Offline Fiery Little One

• Distinguished Member
  • Live Long and Prosper
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 01, 2016, 05:56:52 PM »
Good to know.

Offline TNC

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 02, 2016, 05:35:58 PM »
IIRC one of the articles about the new series said that they've already gotten enough offers from non-US TV markets to cover the costs of developing the series (and this was back when the series was first announced).  So chances are Space has already picked it up/payed to air it.

Offline Fiery Little One

• Distinguished Member
  • Live Long and Prosper
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: March 02, 2016, 06:25:44 PM »
The reason I was even wondering about that is one of the shows on the channel, Inner Space, talks about just about everything upcoming both in general and specifically for the channel itself. Nothing's been said by them since the announcement that the series was being made, as far as I've seen anyway.

Offline TNC

• Board Legend
    • View Profile

Offline Fiery Little One

• Distinguished Member
  • Live Long and Prosper
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 03, 2016, 04:18:02 PM »
Ok, now I'm just going to wait for stuff like casting news (more solid than we've already heard) and concept art.

Offline Xero

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 03, 2016, 04:58:25 PM »
Ok, now I'm just going to wait for stuff like casting news (more solid than we've already heard) and concept art.

My hope is that it jumps ahead a century or two, and is once again set on an Enterprise.

Offline Fiery Little One

• Distinguished Member
  • Live Long and Prosper
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 03, 2016, 05:03:45 PM »
A time skip of some sort is absolutely fine by me. Even if it's smaller than you might like.