Author Topic: Re: Star Trek Discovery - Official Episode Dicussion Thread - $$$SPOLIERS$$$  (Read 31047 times)

Offline CX

• Distinguished Member
  • Bully!
    • View Profile
Re: New Series in Development!
« Reply #50 on: March 03, 2016, 10:03:50 PM »
I honestly wouldn't be surprised if that was the case.  It would be a way to be its own thing separate from both the film franchise, and the TNG era series.
"Black care rarely sits behind a rider whose pace is fast enough." - TR

Offline Razor

• Board Legend
  • All things not of this world
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 04, 2016, 10:24:58 AM »
Everything seems to be lining up quite nicely.
“The boat dipped and swayed and sometimes took on water, but it did not sink; the two brothers had waterproofed it well. I do not know where it finally fetched up, if it ever did; perhaps it reached the sea and sails there forever, like a magic boat in a fairytale. All I know is that it was still afloat and still running on the breast of the flood when it passed the incorporated town limits of Derry, Maine, and there it passes out of this tale forever.” ― Stephen King, It"
High priest in the Cult of J

Offline Jimi James

• So Say We All
  • Administrator
  • Distinguished Member
  • Abandon Ship
    • View Profile
    • The New Haven Chronicles
« Reply #52 on: March 04, 2016, 07:50:46 PM »
I agree with the idea of the time skip forward. It lets them stay in the prime universe, without having to worry about the baggage of dealing with the TNG/DS9/VGR era. It maintains continuity while giving them an almost reset ability...after a century, enough time will have passed that whatever changes they want to make can be made without having to worry about if they make sense from where things left off.

Plus it saves the more recent book and much of the STO timeline, which while not be super important in relation to a new show, would be a nice thing to do for those fans who have invested in the books and game.
https://www.patreon.com/JonMichaelMay
Help me make art, by joining me on Patreon. Various subscriptions tiers are in place, allowing you to support my addictive art habit for as little as $1 a month.

Offline Xero

• Board Legend
  • Let the big man do his job.
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 04, 2016, 10:52:46 PM »
I agree with the idea of the time skip forward. It lets them stay in the prime universe, without having to worry about the baggage of dealing with the TNG/DS9/VGR era. It maintains continuity while giving them an almost reset ability...after a century, enough time will have passed that whatever changes they want to make can be made without having to worry about if they make sense from where things left off.

Plus it saves the more recent book and much of the STO timeline, which while not be super important in relation to a new show, would be a nice thing to do for those fans who have invested in the books and game.

I think the STO timeline is fine to ignore, since it's being portrayed as very unique. Connected to both Prime and books' timelines, yet completely separate.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2016, 10:55:11 PM by Xero »
"Well Steve, I think it's more like we both had this rich neighbor named Xerox and I broke into his house to steal the TV set and found out that you had already stolen it." - Bill Gate's response to Steve Jobs' accusation of theft.

Offline TNC

• Board Legend
  • Stuck in the middle of nowhere...
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 09, 2016, 02:08:36 PM »
CEO Les Moonves Talks All Access, Says CBS Must Wait Six Months After Beyond Before Trek Can Come Back to TV.

Pretty much what it says on the tin, there's some more in there about All Access and a possible bundle with Showtime streaming.  Also he says that international markets have already covered 60% of the cost of the show.
“Battle is not a simulation. It’s blood and screams and funerals.” – Capt. Georgiou – Star Trek: Discovery – “The Vulcan Hello”

Offline Fiery Little One

• Distinguished Member
  • Live Long and Prosper
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 09, 2016, 05:00:13 PM »
Waiting 6 months makes sense, less confusion for those not paying as much attention to what's going on.
Open your mind to new possibilities
-Trip(sort of), The Crossing

Offline Xero

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 13, 2016, 05:08:12 PM »
New rumor regarding time frame for new TV show.
If it's true the first season will be in the Prime Universe, and set somewhere between ST6 and TNG.

There's also talk that the series will be heavily serialized, as well as being an anthology, with each season being set in a different era.

http://ca.ign.com/articles/2016/04/13/new-star-trek-tv-series-rumored-to-be-set-before-the-next-generation

« Last Edit: April 13, 2016, 05:13:24 PM by Xero »
"Well Steve, I think it's more like we both had this rich neighbor named Xerox and I broke into his house to steal the TV set and found out that you had already stolen it." - Bill Gate's response to Steve Jobs' accusation of theft.

Offline Fiery Little One

• Distinguished Member
  • Live Long and Prosper
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 13, 2016, 05:23:38 PM »
The only thing I'm not sure would work is having it set in different eras each season.

Offline Xero

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 13, 2016, 05:30:42 PM »
I wouldn't mind them trying that format at least once. There are several years in Trek that are blank spots. The ear between UC and TNG being a big one.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2016, 05:35:34 PM by Xero »

Offline Fiery Little One

• Distinguished Member
  • Live Long and Prosper
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 13, 2016, 05:42:37 PM »
I don't mind them filling in the gap like this rumor suggests. I just have a problem being invested in characters I know I'm probably not going to see outside of whatever season they appear in. And no, I don't buy the idea that they would use the same technique as American Horror Story of changing the characters but keeping the actors.

Offline Xero

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: April 13, 2016, 05:44:00 PM »
And no, I don't buy the idea that they would use the same technique as American Horror Story of changing the characters but keeping the actors.

I don't like that part either.

Offline TNC

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 13, 2016, 06:04:45 PM »
Depending on how far apart different seasons are they could keep some characters, considering that lifespans in Trek are 100+ years.  An Ensign in S1 could be Captain in S2 for example.  With this format they could cover most of the so called "Lost Era" as the characters grow and change through the ages, even if they have to include multiple ships as the crew is split up by reassignments and whatnot.

Keeping the actors and changing the characters does sound a bit lame, but then again with Star Trek at least you can put them in different alien makeups and such, after all Jeffery Coombs was a recurring Vorta, Ferengi, and Andorian...
“Battle is not a simulation. It’s blood and screams and funerals.” – Capt. Georgiou – Star Trek: Discovery – “The Vulcan Hello”

Offline Razor

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 13, 2016, 11:47:41 PM »
The era between UC and TNG isn't really any interest to me.  That being said the "American Trek story" idea is an interesting one.
“The boat dipped and swayed and sometimes took on water, but it did not sink; the two brothers had waterproofed it well. I do not know where it finally fetched up, if it ever did; perhaps it reached the sea and sails there forever, like a magic boat in a fairytale. All I know is that it was still afloat and still running on the breast of the flood when it passed the incorporated town limits of Derry, Maine, and there it passes out of this tale forever.” ― Stephen King, It"

Offline Xero

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 03, 2016, 12:28:27 AM »
That's interesting new series will be filmed in Toronto, at Pinewood Studios.

http://www.trektoday.com/content/2016/05/cbs-rents-space-for-trek-tv-show/

As rumored last week, the new Star Trek television show will be filming in Toronto, Canada.

CBS has rented Pinewood Toronto Studios’ 46,500-square-foot mega-stage according to the Hollywood Reporter.

“We are very near capacity, and yes, Vancouver is ahead in terms of studio infrastructure, but our clients tell us they prefer to be in Toronto whenever possible, for many reasons,” said Cinespace Vice President Jim Mirkopoulos.

Pinewood Toronto Studios, built in 2008, features more than 250,000 square feet of production space and backlots, and is located a short distance from downtown Toronto. There are twelve stages in the complex, as well as localized support facilities and office space.

Offline Fiery Little One

• Distinguished Member
  • Live Long and Prosper
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 03, 2016, 01:11:05 AM »
This would be a first. I have no problem with the idea, I just think it's a bit odd that they would decide to move production like that.

Offline Xero

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 03, 2016, 10:56:38 AM »
It's not that surprising when you consider that Canada offers tax breaks for film productions, not to mention the tax breaks the provinces also give.

Offline Fiery Little One

• Distinguished Member
  • Live Long and Prosper
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: May 03, 2016, 11:59:55 AM »
True, I just find it a little odd that they pick now to do it rather than, say, when Enterprise was running or something like that. But fresh start, fresh shooting location I guess.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2016, 02:29:57 PM by Fiery Little One »

Offline Data007

• Eminent Member
  • What? You don't have voices in your head?
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 03, 2016, 08:10:26 PM »
Gives me a reason for visiting Toronto.
"Titans are the God-Machines of the Adeptus Mechanicus. Imagine a city. Now imagine that city is angry at you, can walk, and has continent leveling weapons aimed at you. And is inhabited by more things that hate you. You have a rough idea of a Titan."

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied chains us all irrevocably." Judge Aaron Satie

New Haven Chronicles

Offline Razor

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 03, 2016, 09:33:26 PM »

As rumored last week, the new Star Trek television show will be filming in Toronto, Canada.

CBS has rented Pinewood Toronto Studios’ 46,500-square-foot mega-stage according to the Hollywood Reporter.

“We are very near capacity, and yes, Vancouver is ahead in terms of studio infrastructure, but our clients tell us they prefer to be in Toronto whenever possible, for many reasons,” said Cinespace Vice President Jim Mirkopoulos.

Pinewood Toronto Studios, built in 2008, features more than 250,000 square feet of production space and backlots, and is located a short distance from downtown Toronto. There are twelve stages in the complex, as well as localized support facilities and office space.

Works for me.  Though isn't Vancouver more your film town?

Offline TNC

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 03, 2016, 10:28:02 PM »
So according to this, CBS will release a new episode every week and is on track for the January premiere date.  They might even air the show the show on Hulu, assuming Hulu pays them the right amount that is.

Offline Fiery Little One

• Distinguished Member
  • Live Long and Prosper
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: May 04, 2016, 01:42:31 AM »

Works for me.  Though isn't Vancouver more your film town?

For the most part, yes. There have been exceptions. Due South, Toronto for Chicago. Kung Fu: The Legend Continues, Toronto for some made up city. F/X: The Series, Toronto for New York. Orphan Black, mostly set in Toronto but left unnamed. Just some examples I could find after a little snooping around.

So according to this, CBS will release a new episode every week and is on track for the January premiere date.  They might even air the show the show on Hulu, assuming Hulu pays them the right amount that is.

Interesting, but the Hulu bit doesn't do anything for anybody who doesn't live in the US, or use one of those IP cheaters I've heard about.

Offline TNC

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: May 04, 2016, 10:25:14 AM »
Well from previous articles it seems as though people in non-U.S. markets would be able to watch the show on whatever TV channel picks it up.  Though they may be behind the U.S. audience.  On the other hand, Stargate Atlantis tended to air a few months earlier in Canada IIRC, so maybe since the new series is filming in Canada then maybe Canadian audiences will get it early.

Offline Fiery Little One

• Distinguished Member
  • Live Long and Prosper
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: May 04, 2016, 02:11:19 PM »
You're right about Atlantis and this is somewhat selfish, but here's hopin' they do it again.

Offline Razor

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: May 04, 2016, 09:51:23 PM »
For the most part, yes. There have been exceptions. Due South, Toronto for Chicago. Kung Fu: The Legend Continues, Toronto for some made up city. F/X: The Series, Toronto for New York. Orphan Black, mostly set in Toronto but left unnamed. Just some examples I could find after a little snooping around.

Yep and Forever Knight too.  You dont know how many times I had to inform my dad that they filmed that in Toronto not Seattle.

Offline Fiery Little One

• Distinguished Member
  • Live Long and Prosper
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: May 05, 2016, 02:17:18 AM »
I was going to include that in my list too, but I wasn't sure. There have been a few cases of Vancouver or Montreal standing for Toronto, it's rare though.