Author Topic: Re: Star Trek Discovery - Official Episode Dicussion Thread - $$$SPOLIERS$$$  (Read 31454 times)

Online Fiery Little One

• Distinguished Member
  • Live Long and Prosper
    • View Profile
Re: Star Trek Discovery - Official Episode Dicussion Thread - $$$SPOLIERS$$$
« Reply #575 on: January 07, 2018, 09:28:10 PM »
Huh... Did not see that coming.
Open your mind to new possibilities
-Trip(sort of), The Crossing

Offline CX

• Distinguished Member
  • Bully!
    • View Profile
« Reply #576 on: January 07, 2018, 09:50:40 PM »
I don't suppose anyone has any screencaps?
"Black care rarely sits behind a rider whose pace is fast enough." - TR

Offline Terran Imperial

• Food!
    • View Profile
    • My deviantart
i want to put my fist through this whole lousy beautiful town

Offline Xero

• Board Legend
  • Let the big man do his job.
    • View Profile
« Reply #578 on: January 07, 2018, 10:57:34 PM »
I don't suppose anyone has any screencaps?

It's hard to tell in that picture, but the saucer as notches along the outter rim, the nacelle pylons have a kink in the middle (they come out of the secondary hull at a shallower angle, then sharply bend up to sharper angle, plus there was looks like a small tubular part at the kink, like smaller nacelles), the deflector seems to be more integrated into the hull, and the neck appears to be shorter and slightly thicker. It's clearly a Connie like ship, but at the same time not a Connie.

« Last Edit: January 07, 2018, 11:01:51 PM by Xero »
"Well Steve, I think it's more like we both had this rich neighbor named Xerox and I broke into his house to steal the TV set and found out that you had already stolen it." - Bill Gate's response to Steve Jobs' accusation of theft.

Offline Xero

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #579 on: January 08, 2018, 01:16:21 AM »
Here's a somewhat better image. I took it with my cell, so don't expect quality.
"Well Steve, I think it's more like we both had this rich neighbor named Xerox and I broke into his house to steal the TV set and found out that you had already stolen it." - Bill Gate's response to Steve Jobs' accusation of theft.

Offline CX

• Distinguished Member
  • Bully!
    • View Profile
« Reply #580 on: January 08, 2018, 02:47:19 AM »
I'm kind of surprised that they changed the design considering in the TOS episode, the ISS Enterprise wasn't distinguishable from the USS Enterprise externally.  I guess on the other hand, I'm not all that surprised, given how other things have been handled on this show.
"Black care rarely sits behind a rider whose pace is fast enough." - TR

Offline Xero

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #581 on: January 08, 2018, 03:09:25 AM »
Like I said, the argument could be made that it's what the Connie looked like when the class was first launched, and it got a refit in 2250's.
The computer doesn't say if that's the Defiant file from the data core they found about the Terran Empire (The Defiant as we saw it in Tholian Web and In a Mirror Darkly), or if it's the Defiant info from Discovery's computer.

But don't get me wrong, while I love the show so far, I've hated every ship they've had on screen so far.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2018, 03:19:29 AM by Xero »

Offline Shik

• There's a million things I haven't done
    • View Profile
A century to modify the ship, though.

I’m so fucking tired of the “dark Trek” trends over the past 2 decades. Also, thanks SO much, Discovery, for raising hopes by subverting gay character tropes & then turning around & giving in to the biggest one of all. That’s real fuckin’ great.

Offline Shik

• View Profile
« Reply #583 on: January 08, 2018, 09:19:58 AM »
Also, it's called HD, guys; look into it.

Offline Xero

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #584 on: January 08, 2018, 02:30:10 PM »

It's called not having CBS Access...

Offline Shik

• View Profile

It's called not having CBS Access...
Neither do I. Demonoid is magnanimous to foes, generous to friends.

Offline Makaveli

• Administrator
  • Board Legend
  • N.I.G.G.A.
    • View Profile
« Reply #586 on: January 08, 2018, 08:37:46 PM »
Wait, Demonoid is back? Since when?
N.I.G.G.A. - Never Ignorant Gettin' Goals Acomplished
"If a man hasn't discovered something he will die for, he isn't fit to live." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.
CIDvision :: the breen war :: trekonline

Offline Shik

• View Profile
Since...forever?

Offline Razor

• Board Legend
  • All things not of this world
    • View Profile
« Reply #588 on: January 11, 2018, 12:30:34 AM »
HOLY SHIT!!!!  They referenced and are picking up from "In a Mirror Darkly".  I mean I almost choked when they referenced the Xindi in Star Trek Beyond but this was something else!
“The boat dipped and swayed and sometimes took on water, but it did not sink; the two brothers had waterproofed it well. I do not know where it finally fetched up, if it ever did; perhaps it reached the sea and sails there forever, like a magic boat in a fairytale. All I know is that it was still afloat and still running on the breast of the flood when it passed the incorporated town limits of Derry, Maine, and there it passes out of this tale forever.” ― Stephen King, It"
High priest in the Cult of J

Offline Xero

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #589 on: January 11, 2018, 05:56:05 AM »
HOLY SHIT!!!!  They referenced and are picking up from "In a Mirror Darkly".  I mean I almost choked when they referenced the Xindi in Star Trek Beyond but this was something else!

Its interesting how this arc is both a prequel and a sequel to a sequel. Its a Sequel-Prequel-Prequel-Sequel

Offline Razor

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #590 on: January 11, 2018, 08:12:54 AM »

Its interesting how this arc is both a prequel and a sequel to a sequel. Its a Sequel-Prequel-Prequel-Sequel

Its a living breathing universe.  It was a damn good episode and Im genuinly interested in seeing where this goes.  For the past 13 years now ever since IAMD Ive been thinking up my own Trek stories involving a crossover into the mirror universe involving a showdown with fed and Imperial ships.  So this episode feels like they wrote it just for me. 

Like I said, the argument could be made that it's what the Connie looked like when the class was first launched, and it got a refit in 2250's.
The computer doesn't say if that's the Defiant file from the data core they found about the Terran Empire (The Defiant as we saw it in Tholian Web and In a Mirror Darkly), or if it's the Defiant info from Discovery's computer.

Im of the opinion that its the Defiant after having been refitted by the Terran Empire in the 100 years since Sato's time.

Oh and did anyone else switch their CBS all access over to amazon.  Its the same price but the streaming service is much better.
“The boat dipped and swayed and sometimes took on water, but it did not sink; the two brothers had waterproofed it well. I do not know where it finally fetched up, if it ever did; perhaps it reached the sea and sails there forever, like a magic boat in a fairytale. All I know is that it was still afloat and still running on the breast of the flood when it passed the incorporated town limits of Derry, Maine, and there it passes out of this tale forever.” ― Stephen King, It"

Offline Xero

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #591 on: January 11, 2018, 06:03:55 PM »
It would be awesome if we get to see the Defiant again.

Offline TNC

• Board Legend
  • Stuck in the middle of nowhere...
    • View Profile
« Reply #592 on: January 12, 2018, 07:41:26 AM »
Well it's nice that the Mirror Uniforms looked like uniforms, well with a lot of gaudy gold stuff, and didn't have miniskirts or exposed midriffs.  Pretty good episode overall, I loved the fight scene in the turbolift.  As for the Defiant, I'm going with it either being a pre-refit Connie or mods the Empire made over the last 100 or so years.  I wonder if these rebels are remnants of the rebellion seen in "IaMD" or the beginnings of the Klingon-Cardassian Alliance (or both).  I liked Burnham's comments on the Empire's "strength" being a cover for fear and paranoia: "It's painted rust".

"Captain Killy" - "Well that's not very clever." - Burnham and Saru discussing Mirror Captain Tilly's nicknames.

In related news: Eaglemoss is releasing its first run of DSC ships.
We finally get a good look at the Shran and we get some names for the Klingon ships. 
“Battle is not a simulation. It’s blood and screams and funerals.” – Capt. Georgiou – Star Trek: Discovery – “The Vulcan Hello”

Offline Xero

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #593 on: January 12, 2018, 08:27:44 AM »
I really like this far darker and violent Mirror Universe. One thing past MU episodes failed to really do is drive home how truly horrifying and dystopian the MU really is.

Offline Razor

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #594 on: January 12, 2018, 09:35:26 PM »
I really like this far darker and violent Mirror Universe. One thing past MU episodes failed to really do is drive home how truly horrifying and dystopian the MU really is.

Yeah it really feels like a brutal empire this time around.

I wonder if these rebels are remnants of the rebellion seen in "IaMD" or the beginnings of the Klingon-Cardassian Alliance (or both).

Im willing to bet the rebellion may have inadvertently led to the creation of the alliance.  They went to the Klingons and Cardassians for help and bit off more than they could chew.

Offline Xero

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #595 on: January 15, 2018, 05:19:59 AM »
The new Andorian and Tellerite designs are interesting.

What is this now, the 4th or 5th, Andorian design since TOS?

Offline Terran Imperial

• Food!
    • View Profile
    • My deviantart
« Reply #596 on: January 15, 2018, 08:02:52 PM »

At least they don't have 8 nostrils. I almost find it amusing that they kept them that similar considering what they did with the klingons.

I have (quite ironically) hated the mirror universe episodes so far. It doesn't feel necessary, in part considering the already dark tone of the prime reality in Discovery. As a result it gives off cruel and cynical taste which comes off in scenes such as the utterly pointless murder of Hugh Culber. Like what was the reason for it. Even Michael Burnham is made to seem foolish for being optimistic; she tries to find out the secret of cooperating with the klingons in a drawn out scene just to reveal to her that Tyler is Voq. The graphic visuals of torture and overt fascism of the Empire is really tiring since there is already a lot of that in the real world. I finished watching these past two episodes feeling crushed.
    The mirror universe also disrupts the the main plotline from the rest of the season. This contributes to the wider issue of the show regarding it's pacing. I feel like they rushed the whole Klingon war thing too fast, ending with an abrupt and unceremonious end for the Sarcophagus ship, all just so they could have enough time to fit a mirror universe plot this season.
    On the plus side they visited a planetary surface, which is an almost miraculous happening these days.
i want to put my fist through this whole lousy beautiful town

Offline TNC

• Board Legend
  • Stuck in the middle of nowhere...
    • View Profile
« Reply #597 on: January 16, 2018, 10:54:52 PM »

At least the 4th.  There's the TOS Andorians, there may have been a redesign for some background Andorians in some of the TMP-era movies, there was one Andorian in TNG (the episode with Lal), the ENT Andorians, and the DSC Andorians.  Was it just me or did these Andorians seem bluer than the ones on ENT.  Still, the changes are minor enough to handwave as regional differences (or perhaps gender differences if you buy into the whole four gender thing from the novels) without having to be a retcon.  And of course there's the Aenar which opens up the possibility of subspecies as well.

These are the 3rd version of the Tellarites.  There's the smooth skinned, "Twilight Zone pig people" from TOS, the wrinkled skin version from ENT, and now the tusked, smooth skinned version for DSC.  Again, this could be handwaved as regional differences.

I still say these Klingons can be handwaved as an early attempt at undoing the Augment Virus.

Random thoughts:
-All hail Empress Georgiou!
-The Mirror Universe has its own version of the Away Team vest, which looks more like armor.
-I wonder how Mirror Voq came to be known as "The Fire Wolf".
-One of the Klingons had some kind of spear.  A re-imagined Gintak or maybe a Lirpa?
-It was a little generic looking, but we finally have another example of a shoulder weapon other than the "Worfzoka" from Insurrection.
-What was Lorica's smirk about when Mirror Georgiou appeared...
-Spock defies Sarek's wishes and joins Starfleet, Mirror Sarek is a rebel and Mirror Spock is a valued crew member of the I.S.S. Enterprise who goes on to be Emperor...
“Battle is not a simulation. It’s blood and screams and funerals.” – Capt. Georgiou – Star Trek: Discovery – “The Vulcan Hello”

Offline Razor

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #598 on: January 16, 2018, 11:37:38 PM »
At least the 4th.  There's the TOS Andorians, there may have been a redesign for some background Andorians in some of the TMP-era movies, there was one Andorian in TNG (the episode with Lal), the ENT Andorians, and the DSC Andorians.  Was it just me or did these Andorians seem bluer than the ones on ENT.  Still, the changes are minor enough to handwave as regional differences (or perhaps gender differences if you buy into the whole four gender thing from the novels) without having to be a retcon.  And of course there's the Aenar which opens up the possibility of subspecies as well.

Same here I thought the Andorian was well done and yes his antenna did move.

These are the 3rd version of the Tellarites.  There's the smooth skinned, "Twilight Zone pig people" from TOS, the wrinkled skin version from ENT, and now the tusked, smooth skinned version for DSC.  Again, this could be handwaved as regional differences.

I wasn't as impressed with the Tellerite they were okay but I thought the Mike Westmore makeup job was much better.  As for the more prominent tusks perhaps tellerite soilders grow them in for hand to hand combat.

The episode itself was a little slow for my tastes but overall Im enjoying this arc.

-Mirror Voq seems to be a better more well rounded individual.  Im wondering if anything he said will have an affect on Ash/Voq
-So its been revealed that Ash was Voq cant say im really surprised at this point.
-Georgiou is the Empress.  Not a surprise but a good bit of drama.  I wonder if they'll hint that she's a descendant of Hoshi.

Im wondering if the Imperial flagship that we saw in the preview was built around the Defiant (still love that we're following up on that).

Offline Xero

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #599 on: January 17, 2018, 03:26:21 AM »
It's interesting that both versions of Voq have the similar goals, uniting splintered people. It's almost as if in the MU a Federation like organization was in the making but with the Klingons at the head.