Author Topic: Star Trek Discovery  (Read 11850 times)

Offline Fiery Little One

• Distinguished Member
  • Live Long and Prosper
    • View Profile
Re: Star Trek Discovery
« Reply #300 on: February 14, 2017, 03:29:10 PM »
True, it just seems odd that they seem to be giving more focus to a ship other than the one that's supposed to be the one in the title.
Open your mind to new possibilities
-Trip(sort of), The Crossing

Offline TNC

• Board Legend
  • Stuck in the middle of nowhere...
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: February 14, 2017, 10:17:10 PM »
Haven't they been roughly even though?  IIRC first they announced two Discovery crew members and the captain of the Shenzhou, then some Klingons, then the Discovery's XO (the lead character), and finally the three new guys, two of which are Shenzhou officers and the other is "a high ranking Starfleet official" (which could mean he's an admiral or some such in charge of a small taskforce which the Shenzhou and Discovery are part of and he would be on one of the two ships, or he's back on Earth or a Starbase).

So that's 3 Discovery officers, 3 Shenzhou officers, and another officer in an as of yet unknown location.  Plus we have more detailed pics of the Discovery vs. a wireframe model that may or may not be the Shenzhou (though it probably is).  So I'd say its more or less equal at this point.

There's been some speculation elsewhere that since there's been a mismatch of officer announcements (i.e. we know who the captain of the Shenzhou is but not the Discovery) that maybe something will happen and the crews will have to mix on one ship.  I don't know if I buy that.  I suppose the Shenzhou could just be a recurring ship appearing once an episode or every other episode, or perhaps the show will do something similar to my fan-fic where the traditional A/B plots happen on different ships instead of the same ship.
“The Elachi can send their entire fleet.  We will not fall.” – Ambassador Worf – Star Trek Online – “Sphere of Influence”

Offline Fiery Little One

• Distinguished Member
  • Live Long and Prosper
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: February 14, 2017, 10:55:45 PM »
Fair enough on the officers.

As for how they might handle the split, I think A-plot on one ship, B-plot on the other would work a bit better then a rehash of Voyager: two crews merging for whatever reason. Especially since there's zero conflict in that set up, both crews would already be Starfleet.

Offline TNC

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: February 15, 2017, 06:32:28 PM »
Wild idea: The Discovery gets destroyed by some mysterious force in the first episode, the Shenzhou arrives and picks up the survivors, "High Ranking Starfleet Official Guy" tells the Shenzhou to find out what happened since that would be quicker than going back to a Starbase to drop off the Discovery survivors (since they're at the far end of the Federation border).  And by "mysterious force" I don't mean some powerful new enemy attacks the ship, more like the Discovery enters a region of space, something starts happening to the systems, ship kerplodes, then there's some sort of energy signal they can trace to a solar system or something, then they try to figure out whats what.  Then to keep the show going they introduce a new Discovery in the second season, or perhaps more interestingly they break from the whole ship/station = series name thing and its called Star Trek: Discovery because they're going to go discover stuff.

Highly unlikely I know, but its fun to speculate.  And as FLO pointed out, two crews joining has already been done with VOY, and it will be more interesting to see how they pull off this two ship situation, especially if they get roughly equal screen time.
“The Elachi can send their entire fleet.  We will not fall.” – Ambassador Worf – Star Trek Online – “Sphere of Influence”

Offline Fiery Little One

• Distinguished Member
  • Live Long and Prosper
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: February 15, 2017, 06:39:26 PM »
The ship being destroyed and replaced by a newer model thing was done on SeaQuest. I don't see them trying something like that here. It's far more likely that we'll be seeing a task force of some sort.

Offline Shik

• There's a million things I haven't done
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: February 15, 2017, 06:45:11 PM »
...I liked seaQuest.

TNC's idea has merit, though.

Offline Fiery Little One

• Distinguished Member
  • Live Long and Prosper
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: February 15, 2017, 06:52:11 PM »
On reflection, the only misstep SeaQuest made was the alien stuff and the timeskip. I'm not dismissing the idea, I'm just going with what I think is more likely.

Offline TNC

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: February 15, 2017, 07:06:58 PM »
The only reason I added the new U.S.S. Discovery was to account for a potential 2nd season while keeping with the Star Trek [Ship/Station Name] theme that IMO has been used too much (DS9, VOY, ENT).  It would be more interesting if it was Star Trek: Discovery because they're going to discover stuff, kinda like Star Trek: The Next Generation, was the next generation of Star Trek.  And that could fit if everybody just stayed on the Shenzhou.  Then again, who says uncovering the mystery of the Discovery's destruction would take just one season?

Of course, this is all wild speculation and probably won't happen.  IIRC the basic plot of the first 13 (or however many episodes this season will run) has been set (more or less).  Plus Fuller's comments about novels suggest that each season might have its own specific story arc.

And I'll jump on the liking seaQuest bandwagon.  Even though I barely remember it.