Author Topic: Star Trek Discovery  (Read 16445 times)

Offline Fiery Little One

• Distinguished Member
  • Live Long and Prosper
    • View Profile
Re: Star Trek Discovery
« Reply #300 on: February 14, 2017, 03:29:10 PM »
True, it just seems odd that they seem to be giving more focus to a ship other than the one that's supposed to be the one in the title.
Open your mind to new possibilities
-Trip(sort of), The Crossing

Offline TNC

• Board Legend
  • Stuck in the middle of nowhere...
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: February 14, 2017, 10:17:10 PM »
Haven't they been roughly even though?  IIRC first they announced two Discovery crew members and the captain of the Shenzhou, then some Klingons, then the Discovery's XO (the lead character), and finally the three new guys, two of which are Shenzhou officers and the other is "a high ranking Starfleet official" (which could mean he's an admiral or some such in charge of a small taskforce which the Shenzhou and Discovery are part of and he would be on one of the two ships, or he's back on Earth or a Starbase).

So that's 3 Discovery officers, 3 Shenzhou officers, and another officer in an as of yet unknown location.  Plus we have more detailed pics of the Discovery vs. a wireframe model that may or may not be the Shenzhou (though it probably is).  So I'd say its more or less equal at this point.

There's been some speculation elsewhere that since there's been a mismatch of officer announcements (i.e. we know who the captain of the Shenzhou is but not the Discovery) that maybe something will happen and the crews will have to mix on one ship.  I don't know if I buy that.  I suppose the Shenzhou could just be a recurring ship appearing once an episode or every other episode, or perhaps the show will do something similar to my fan-fic where the traditional A/B plots happen on different ships instead of the same ship.
“The Elachi can send their entire fleet.  We will not fall.” – Ambassador Worf – Star Trek Online – “Sphere of Influence”

Offline Fiery Little One

• Distinguished Member
  • Live Long and Prosper
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: February 14, 2017, 10:55:45 PM »
Fair enough on the officers.

As for how they might handle the split, I think A-plot on one ship, B-plot on the other would work a bit better then a rehash of Voyager: two crews merging for whatever reason. Especially since there's zero conflict in that set up, both crews would already be Starfleet.

Offline TNC

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: February 15, 2017, 06:32:28 PM »
Wild idea: The Discovery gets destroyed by some mysterious force in the first episode, the Shenzhou arrives and picks up the survivors, "High Ranking Starfleet Official Guy" tells the Shenzhou to find out what happened since that would be quicker than going back to a Starbase to drop off the Discovery survivors (since they're at the far end of the Federation border).  And by "mysterious force" I don't mean some powerful new enemy attacks the ship, more like the Discovery enters a region of space, something starts happening to the systems, ship kerplodes, then there's some sort of energy signal they can trace to a solar system or something, then they try to figure out whats what.  Then to keep the show going they introduce a new Discovery in the second season, or perhaps more interestingly they break from the whole ship/station = series name thing and its called Star Trek: Discovery because they're going to go discover stuff.

Highly unlikely I know, but its fun to speculate.  And as FLO pointed out, two crews joining has already been done with VOY, and it will be more interesting to see how they pull off this two ship situation, especially if they get roughly equal screen time.
“The Elachi can send their entire fleet.  We will not fall.” – Ambassador Worf – Star Trek Online – “Sphere of Influence”

Offline Fiery Little One

• Distinguished Member
  • Live Long and Prosper
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: February 15, 2017, 06:39:26 PM »
The ship being destroyed and replaced by a newer model thing was done on SeaQuest. I don't see them trying something like that here. It's far more likely that we'll be seeing a task force of some sort.

Offline Shik

• There's a million things I haven't done
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: February 15, 2017, 06:45:11 PM »
...I liked seaQuest.

TNC's idea has merit, though.

Offline Fiery Little One

• Distinguished Member
  • Live Long and Prosper
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: February 15, 2017, 06:52:11 PM »
On reflection, the only misstep SeaQuest made was the alien stuff and the timeskip. I'm not dismissing the idea, I'm just going with what I think is more likely.

Offline TNC

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: February 15, 2017, 07:06:58 PM »
The only reason I added the new U.S.S. Discovery was to account for a potential 2nd season while keeping with the Star Trek [Ship/Station Name] theme that IMO has been used too much (DS9, VOY, ENT).  It would be more interesting if it was Star Trek: Discovery because they're going to discover stuff, kinda like Star Trek: The Next Generation, was the next generation of Star Trek.  And that could fit if everybody just stayed on the Shenzhou.  Then again, who says uncovering the mystery of the Discovery's destruction would take just one season?

Of course, this is all wild speculation and probably won't happen.  IIRC the basic plot of the first 13 (or however many episodes this season will run) has been set (more or less).  Plus Fuller's comments about novels suggest that each season might have its own specific story arc.

And I'll jump on the liking seaQuest bandwagon.  Even though I barely remember it.

Offline TNC

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: February 27, 2017, 05:35:37 PM »
Possible release window for Discovery, late summer to early fall.

Offline Xero

• Board Legend
  • Let the big man do his job.
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: February 27, 2017, 05:42:17 PM »
They should have given the release window in the time frame to begin with.

Offline Fiery Little One

• Distinguished Member
  • Live Long and Prosper
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: February 27, 2017, 06:12:43 PM »
I kind of like that they haven't pinned down a new release date. That way they won't disappoint us if they have to move it again.

Offline Shik

• View Profile
« Reply #311 on: February 28, 2017, 12:02:32 AM »
The "discovery" is finding out when it's supposed to air. It's the television equivalent of vaporware, which would be a brilliant marketing strategy, because no one is more interested in a show than when it's yet to air.

Offline Xero

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: March 07, 2017, 01:00:00 PM »
Two new cast members. The Captain of the Discovery, and a cadet.

http://ca.ign.com/articles/2017/03/07/star-trek-discovery-casts-jason-isaacs-as-captain

Star Trek: Discovery has cast a Harry Potter star in a major role.

According to The Hollywood Reporter, Jason Isaacs, who played Lucius Malfoy in the Harry Potter films and has also recently appeared in Netflix's The OA, will portray the captain of the Starship Discovery, Captain Lorca. Beyond his name and rank, not much else is known about the character.

Jason Isaacs as Lucius Malfoy in Harry Potter

Meanwhile, the official Star Trek Twitter account has revealed that Mary Wiseman (Longmire) has also been cast as a cadet.

The rest of Star Trek: Discovery's cast includes includes The Waking Dead star Sonequa Martin-Green, Doug Jones (Hellboy), Michelle Yeoh (Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon), Anthony Rapp (A Beautiful Mind), Shazad Latif (Penny Dreadful), Mary Chieffo (Shelby's Vacation), Chris Obi (Ghost in the Shell), and James Frain (True Detective).

The CBS series has been delayed multiple times and will now premiere sometime in late summer or early fall. CBS Corp. chief executive Leslie Moonves explained there's been "a lot of post-production" but he still remains "confident" in the show's quality.

Offline Fiery Little One

• Distinguished Member
  • Live Long and Prosper
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: March 07, 2017, 03:16:27 PM »
Jason Isaacs? This should be interesting. With a name like 'Lorca' I have to wonder if he's going to be human or not. (Could go either way.)

Offline Xero

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: March 07, 2017, 04:24:18 PM »
Jason Isaacs? This should be interesting. With a name like 'Lorca' I have to wonder if he's going to be human or not. (Could go either way.)

Lorca is Spanish. So he's probably human.

Offline Fiery Little One

• Distinguished Member
  • Live Long and Prosper
    • View Profile
« Reply #315 on: March 07, 2017, 05:49:19 PM »
Yeah, that's possible. I was just thinking about those times we've come across an alien who has a human sounding name.

Offline Shik

• View Profile
« Reply #316 on: March 07, 2017, 06:31:27 PM »
"Wait til my father hears about this, Pot—er, Rainsford!"

Offline Razor

• Board Legend
  • All things not of this world
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: March 07, 2017, 11:27:23 PM »
Jason Isaacs now that is damn awesome! So far the casting for this show has been spectacular.
“The boat dipped and swayed and sometimes took on water, but it did not sink; the two brothers had waterproofed it well. I do not know where it finally fetched up, if it ever did; perhaps it reached the sea and sails there forever, like a magic boat in a fairytale. All I know is that it was still afloat and still running on the breast of the flood when it passed the incorporated town limits of Derry, Maine, and there it passes out of this tale forever.” ― Stephen King, It"
Proud member of the Cult of J

Offline Fiery Little One

• Distinguished Member
  • Live Long and Prosper
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: March 08, 2017, 02:11:52 AM »
Yeah, so far I haven't seen a 'no, not them' announcement.

Offline TNC

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: March 08, 2017, 05:58:50 PM »
Cool.

An odd observation, as far as I can tell, none of the character's full names have been announced.  Perhaps adding weight to the "is the character human or not" argument, since Trek aliens tend to have just one name (the only exceptions I can think of off hand are the Cardassians and Bajorans).

Offline Fiery Little One

• Distinguished Member
  • Live Long and Prosper
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: March 08, 2017, 06:57:24 PM »
There have been a few exceptions, the Romulan scientist Telek R'Mor comes to mind the quickest, but generally you are right.

Offline Jimi James

• So Say We All
  • Administrator
  • Distinguished Member
  • Abandon Ship
    • View Profile
    • The New Haven Chronicles
« Reply #321 on: March 10, 2017, 04:27:36 PM »
I think I might be the only person that finds this casting news underwhelming. I mean, yeah he's good and I'm sure he'll do fine if not excellent, but it certainly doesn't make me any more excited to see Discovery...if and when it ever premiers.

And to be perfectly honest, my initial response was, "yay, another white dude." Granted the rest of the cast is certainly diverse and the show isn't particularly about his character, but still I think they should have gone another way.
https://www.patreon.com/JonMichaelMay
Help me make art, by joining me on Patreon. Various subscriptions tiers are in place, allowing you to support my addictive art habit for as little as $1 a month.

Offline Fiery Little One

• Distinguished Member
  • Live Long and Prosper
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: March 10, 2017, 04:39:24 PM »
Considering his track record with TV these days he's in the first season then bites it in the finale.

Offline Shik

• View Profile
« Reply #323 on: March 10, 2017, 06:18:17 PM »
I'm with Jimi. I'd rather Michelle Yeoh been the captain.

Offline CX

• Distinguished Member
  • Bully!
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: March 10, 2017, 10:48:16 PM »
Why do you care what race the captain is?  This is a good actor we're talking about, and you're just dismissing him because of his race?  :o  Disappointing coming from the Trek community.

If I was to criticize anything about this casting, it would be what I perceive to be an attempt to replicate Picard.
"Black care rarely sits behind a rider whose pace is fast enough." - TR