Author Topic: Re: Star Trek Discovery - Official Episode Dicussion Thread - $$$SPOLIERS$$$  (Read 24648 times)

Offline Jimi James

• So Say We All
  • Administrator
  • Distinguished Member
  • Abandon Ship
    • View Profile
    • The New Haven Chronicles
Re: Star Trek Discovery
« Reply #325 on: March 11, 2017, 10:50:41 AM »
I care a great deal what race the captain is, as much as if he were human or alien, male or female. It mattered that Sisko was black and Janeway was female. It matters as much as every time we have called for an alien in the captains chair.

Those details matter when you're creating a character and to pretend they don't so you can stand on your high horse and look down on others is the real disappointment coming from another Star Trek fan, particularly one that has strived to create his own Sta Trek in the past. So don't tell me his race doesn't matter because it absolutely does. Saying it doesn't and writing it off is the kind of lazy storytelling I would expect and saw from the likes of Enterprise...case in point, they had no idea who Future Guy was during the entire run of the show. He was just some random alien interfering in the past and who knows what his actual motives truly were....no idea what race he was. Likewise, casting Archer as just another white guy, (Bakula's often mediocre acting aside) when they had every other race on earth to chose from is another perfect example. They could have gone in so many other directions that could have yielded far more interesting storytelling opportunities.

Details matter.

And I'm not dismissing him "just" because of his race. Maybe you missed the part where I said he'll likely do well if not excellent.

I'm dismissing him because in a show that strives to show diversity, I'm not overwhelmingly enthusiastic to see yet one one more white male character in the captains chair. It's a tame and safe choice in a time when Star Trek needs to be bold. Take a risk for crying out loud and if they're really going to try to live up to the Trek standard of being socially aware, then show us something we haven't seen before.

Not another white British actor.

If they wanted to impress me, then make the captain Indian or an aborigine and make them non-binary. Have them take a stand on an issue that is dividing our country because that is what the best science fiction does. There's no room for safe anymore. Safe gets canceled.
I'd rather have one season of Star Trek that really took chances and pushed the limits of what Trek could be, then seven seasons of bland formulaic storytelling with safe characters that don't offend anyone or try to change the way we might look at our world.

But hey, maybe I expect too much from Star Trek these days.

Now granted, we still don't know anything about his actual character and if it turns out that he is more than just another basic white human, then I'll certainly take back what I said. But until that is the case and I see that they've actually tried to take some risks with him, I stand by what I said. He may be an accomplished actor, but I'm not excited about what he does or doesn't bring to the cast.
https://www.patreon.com/JonMichaelMay
Help me make art, by joining me on Patreon. Various subscriptions tiers are in place, allowing you to support my addictive art habit for as little as $1 a month.

Offline CX

• Distinguished Member
  • Bully!
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: March 11, 2017, 11:58:49 AM »
Sisko's race didn't matter.  That was part of what made him a good character.  He was never "the black captain," he was just "the captain."  The only time his race was ever brought up, it came off as awkward and frankly stupid.   Janeway's sex wouldn't have mattered if the writers didn't feel the need to constantly remind the audience, and frankly that is part of where the lack of quality of VOY comes from.  The rest of it is just as obvious in ENT's writing.

With what you're talking about, it seems to me you care more about what a character is than who they are.   It kind of makes me wonder if the only "diversity" you care about is skin color.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2017, 12:00:26 PM by CX »
"Black care rarely sits behind a rider whose pace is fast enough." - TR

Offline TNC

• Board Legend
  • Stuck in the middle of nowhere...
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: March 11, 2017, 01:25:20 PM »
Personally I'm hoping he's playing an alien, we've had 5 human hero captains already.  It would be nice to have at least one alien hero captain.

Come to think of it, the only alien Starfleet captain I can remember seeing off hand is that one from TNG "Conspiracy", and an off-hand mention of a Benzite captain when Sisko and the others were posing as Klingons.  Oh and there was that all Vulcan crew on that DS9 episode, and the all Vulcan crew of that ship that was killed by the space amoeba in TOS.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2017, 01:39:38 PM by TNC »
“Battle is not a simulation. It’s blood and screams and funerals.” – Capt. Georgiou – Star Trek: Discovery – “The Vulcan Hello”

Offline CX

• Distinguished Member
  • Bully!
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: March 11, 2017, 03:56:50 PM »
I have a feeling not.  My main interest is in seeing if they'll actually be able to stick with the premise that the captain isn't actually the main character.  After all, that's how TNG was supposed to be, with Riker as more of the main character and doing all the cool stuff the audience would follow.

Offline Shik

• There's a million things I haven't done
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: March 11, 2017, 10:00:16 PM »
Because, CX, some of us are tired of seeing honkys be the major weight.

That being said, I would've loved the Angela Bassett/Rosario Dawson thing to have happened.

Offline CX

• Distinguished Member
  • Bully!
    • View Profile
« Reply #330 on: March 12, 2017, 10:58:35 AM »
So racism.

Offline Shik

• View Profile
« Reply #331 on: March 12, 2017, 07:08:18 PM »
Bitch, please.

Offline CX

• Distinguished Member
  • Bully!
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: March 12, 2017, 08:18:47 PM »
And yet, there it is.

Offline Shik

• View Profile
« Reply #333 on: March 12, 2017, 08:25:32 PM »
Please don't make me have to give a lecture on why "racism against whites" is a fantasy.

Offline CX

• Distinguished Member
  • Bully!
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: March 12, 2017, 09:42:17 PM »
Your lecture would simply be an example of doublethink, so don't bother.

Offline Stoo

• an all too ordinary story
  • Global Moderator
  • Eminent Member
    • View Profile
    • A Force for Good
« Reply #335 on: March 13, 2017, 09:53:01 AM »
Sisko's race didn't matter much to the people around him. It mattered to viewers. Black kids could see that in this story - a hopeful vision of humanity's future - people who looked like them could be starship captains.

This guy could still be a great character. It's just a missed opportunity.

Offline CX

• Distinguished Member
  • Bully!
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: March 13, 2017, 02:08:49 PM »
It's funny how Spock, Scotty, Data, and LaForge all managed to get me into STEM in spite of the fact I'm not Vulcan, Scottish, an android, black, or blind then isn't it?

Offline Shik

• View Profile
« Reply #337 on: March 13, 2017, 05:12:27 PM »
Excellent attitude for a Star Trek fan to have.

Offline CX

• Distinguished Member
  • Bully!
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: March 14, 2017, 10:33:18 PM »
One could say the same about the double standard you apparently have.

Offline Shik

• View Profile
« Reply #339 on: March 31, 2017, 09:39:52 PM »

Offline Razor

• Board Legend
  • All things not of this world
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: March 31, 2017, 09:49:21 PM »
Okiedokie though with tomorrow being April 1st Im wondering if we're being punked?
“The boat dipped and swayed and sometimes took on water, but it did not sink; the two brothers had waterproofed it well. I do not know where it finally fetched up, if it ever did; perhaps it reached the sea and sails there forever, like a magic boat in a fairytale. All I know is that it was still afloat and still running on the breast of the flood when it passed the incorporated town limits of Derry, Maine, and there it passes out of this tale forever.” ― Stephen King, It"
High priest in the Cult of J

Offline Shik

• View Profile
« Reply #341 on: March 31, 2017, 10:15:49 PM »
Posted 1320, 31 March.

Offline Fiery Little One

• Distinguished Member
  • Live Long and Prosper
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: April 01, 2017, 01:56:39 AM »
...Yeah, I commented twice about this, once on The Mary Sue and again on Trekcore. Both times I left a somewhat neutral 'this should be interesting' reply to this news. I have my doubts that he won't turn our favorite conman into a barely closeted pervert.
Open your mind to new possibilities
-Trip(sort of), The Crossing

Offline Razor

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: April 01, 2017, 05:10:42 AM »
Posted 1320, 31 March.

True either way this interesting news.  Gotta admit the casting so far has been dynamite.
“The boat dipped and swayed and sometimes took on water, but it did not sink; the two brothers had waterproofed it well. I do not know where it finally fetched up, if it ever did; perhaps it reached the sea and sails there forever, like a magic boat in a fairytale. All I know is that it was still afloat and still running on the breast of the flood when it passed the incorporated town limits of Derry, Maine, and there it passes out of this tale forever.” ― Stephen King, It"

Offline Shik

• View Profile
« Reply #344 on: April 01, 2017, 06:56:05 AM »
Posted 1320, 31 March.

True either way this interesting news.  Gotta admit the casting so far has been dynamite.

....You're high, right? Hopped up & reeling on some laudanum-induced journey, yes?

Offline Razor

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #345 on: April 03, 2017, 01:32:28 AM »
Posted 1320, 31 March.

....You're high, right? Hopped up & reeling on some laudanum-induced journey, yes?

No

Offline Xero

• Board Legend
  • Let the big man do his job.
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: April 03, 2017, 04:14:12 PM »
 Sonequa Martin-Green's character isn't named Rainsford, but Michael Burnham.

http://www.startrek.com/article/sonequa-martin-green-beams-aboard-discovery

Offline Fiery Little One

• Distinguished Member
  • Live Long and Prosper
    • View Profile
« Reply #347 on: April 03, 2017, 06:02:21 PM »
The talk of the internet is that interesting choice in name.

Offline Xero

• Board Legend
  • Let the big man do his job.
    • View Profile
« Reply #348 on: April 03, 2017, 08:10:05 PM »
Why's that?

Offline Fiery Little One

• Distinguished Member
  • Live Long and Prosper
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: April 04, 2017, 02:12:35 AM »
Her first name isn't pronounced like it's spelled 'Michelle.' It's pronounced as written, like you would for a guy with that name.