Author Topic: Re: Star Trek Discovery - Official Episode Dicussion Thread - $$$SPOLIERS$$$  (Read 27319 times)

Offline Fiery Little One

• Distinguished Member
  • Live Long and Prosper
    • View Profile
Re: Star Trek Discovery - Official Episode Dicussion Thread - $$$SPOLIERS$$$
« Reply #450 on: August 16, 2017, 01:12:30 AM »
What they plan to do for Season 2 should be interesting. As for future series... Make sure Discovery works first, then think about what's next.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2017, 12:28:52 AM by Jimi James »
Open your mind to new possibilities
-Trip(sort of), The Crossing

Offline Aaron

• "Lana. Lana. Lana! LANA!! ...Danger Zone."
    • View Profile
Re: Star Trek Discovery
« Reply #451 on: August 17, 2017, 04:43:16 PM »
TV-MA?

I watched the newest trailer for Discovery on StarTrek.com, and at the beginning of the trailer there was a TV-MA icon in the corner of the screen.  Does this mean we're about to get a Star Trek for grownups? Storylines with some chutzpah?

Did anyone see that too?

Offline TNC

• Board Legend
  • Stuck in the middle of nowhere...
    • View Profile
« Reply #452 on: August 18, 2017, 07:29:20 AM »
I haven't seen this StarTrek.com Trailer you speak of, and TV and movie ratings might be a little different, but the producers of the show have said that it will be "hard PG-13".

That said, what do you mean by "Star Trek for grownups"?

Personally, for a franchise that's strongest language to date was probably Data's "Oh Shit!" in Generations, excessive foul language would be a little distracting.  Though I suppose it would be nice for some Klingons to say p'taQ and have the English subtitles give us a translation for it.  And as for nudity, I don't mind it so much as long as it's not overdone and/or pointless (looking at you GoT and especially Westworld).

Back to the Klingons for a moment.  This new appearance might be an early attempt to undo the damage from the Augment Virus from ENT.  In one of the trailers Sarek said something about the Klingon Empire being in decline for "generations", perhaps some sort of civil war between those affected by the virus and those not?
“Battle is not a simulation. It’s blood and screams and funerals.” – Capt. Georgiou – Star Trek: Discovery – “The Vulcan Hello”

Offline Fiery Little One

• Distinguished Member
  • Live Long and Prosper
    • View Profile
« Reply #453 on: August 18, 2017, 02:17:59 PM »
An early attempt to undo the Augment Virus... and at least one civil war broke out in the aftermath... I could see it.

Offline TNC

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #454 on: August 19, 2017, 02:17:48 PM »
Minor update, we now have a character image of Voq, and yes he is an albino.  Also of note is the way he is holding that "new" bat'leth, with the curve facing outward rather than inward, which is interesting if that's the cutting edge.  Although I suppose it could be some sort of meditative pose rather than how one would wield the weapon.

Oh, and I don't know if this was mentioned before but Michelle Yeoh's characters full name is Philippa Georgiou, as per the image of the Star Cross metal.

Also the Shinzhou has an MRI-esque medical scanner/treatment device like the NX-class.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2017, 02:19:30 PM by TNC »
“Battle is not a simulation. It’s blood and screams and funerals.” – Capt. Georgiou – Star Trek: Discovery – “The Vulcan Hello”

Offline Fiery Little One

• Distinguished Member
  • Live Long and Prosper
    • View Profile
« Reply #455 on: August 19, 2017, 04:29:02 PM »
Something else of note, there's speculation that Sam Witwer might be under that make up.

Offline Aaron

• "Lana. Lana. Lana! LANA!! ...Danger Zone."
    • View Profile
« Reply #456 on: August 20, 2017, 11:06:22 AM »
When I said "Star Trek for grownups," I meant that the plots might be a little more cerebral and mature. I'm not saying that we need more vulgar language or nudity (well, as long as it's tasteful nudity...) But I just mean stories that might shake you up a little. Definitely no "Shut up, Wesley!" moments, for sure.

Offline Terran Imperial

• Food!
    • View Profile
    • My deviantart
« Reply #457 on: August 20, 2017, 11:33:01 AM »
I haven't seen this StarTrek.com Trailer you speak of, and TV and movie ratings might be a little different, but the producers of the show have said that it will be "hard PG-13".
I think this is it:
https://twitter.com/startrekcbs/status/898213027597635584
So, do you remember me
In those moments just before you sleep?
I know you remember me
Swear to me the memory isn't seen
Promise me
That it doesn't make your heart beat
Doesn't make your heart beat

Offline Razor

• Board Legend
  • All things not of this world
    • View Profile
« Reply #458 on: August 21, 2017, 11:13:39 PM »
When I said "Star Trek for grownups," I meant that the plots might be a little more cerebral and mature. I'm not saying that we need more vulgar language or nudity (well, as long as it's tasteful nudity...) But I just mean stories that might shake you up a little. Definitely no "Shut up, Wesley!" moments, for sure.

Works for me.
“The boat dipped and swayed and sometimes took on water, but it did not sink; the two brothers had waterproofed it well. I do not know where it finally fetched up, if it ever did; perhaps it reached the sea and sails there forever, like a magic boat in a fairytale. All I know is that it was still afloat and still running on the breast of the flood when it passed the incorporated town limits of Derry, Maine, and there it passes out of this tale forever.” ― Stephen King, It"
High priest in the Cult of J

Offline TNC

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #459 on: August 25, 2017, 10:44:42 PM »

Fair enough.  And given everything we've heard so far, that seems to be the direction Discovery is going.  And to be honest, the kind of direction Discovery needs to go in, while also maintaining Trek's hopeful/optimistic vision of the future, if it is to compete with modern TV.

Although, I would argue that we've gotten "Star Trek for grownups" already.  Granted not in a consistent manner (DS9: "In The Pale Moonlight" vs. DS9: "Take Me Out To The Holosuite"), but there are definitely stories that fit your criteria.  Of course the rules of TV have changed since even ENT was last on and what was "grown up" back then might be considered "tame" by today's standards...

With regards to the TV-MA thing, I guess that's close to PG-13, but TV and movie ratings are kind of randomly decided so they don't really mean much.  For example, if a movie has a scene where a woman tells a man "f*** you" then punches him, it gets a PG-13.  If she says, "I want to f*** you" and they make out, then it's an R.  If it's two dudes and one says "I want to f*** you", bam! NC-17.  Violence is fine but sex is bad, Hollywood's weird like that.

Offline CX

• Distinguished Member
  • Bully!
    • View Profile
« Reply #460 on: August 28, 2017, 01:26:02 PM »
I don't know, I could go for some nudity in Star Trek.   ;D
"Black care rarely sits behind a rider whose pace is fast enough." - TR

Offline Shik

• There's a million things I haven't done
    • View Profile
« Reply #461 on: August 29, 2017, 07:57:38 AM »
I don't know, I could go for some nudity in Star Trek.   ;D

I agree. Let's see those Malfoy buns!

Online Xero

• Board Legend
  • Let the big man do his job.
    • View Profile
« Reply #462 on: September 11, 2017, 10:56:48 PM »
The Shenzhou's bridge being built
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z0ono_kL8B8

And a very quick tour of the Discovery's bridge
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T047FEM4wYc

Apparently as the show progresses, the colour schemes of the bridge controls will start to look more and more like ToS.
https://trekmovie.com/2017/09/03/star-trek-discovery-designers-reveal-look-and-colors-will-evolve-to-be-more-like-tos/

They talk about Burnham, and give hints what the Discovery is really up to.
https://trekmovie.com/2017/09/11/star-trek-discovery-set-tour-reveals-details-of-bridge-characters-story-and-more/

Burnham’s main area of operation is engineering, and a good chunk of the show will be spent in the below-deck room…Engineering is important as a focal point of Burnham’s life and career, but there’s also a — you guessed it — mysterious reason for the room, all focused around a series of canisters embedded in the wall. Harberts paraphrased a line from Lorca, saying, “we’re coming up with a new way to fly” — and these canisters, and what the engineering team is working on, are a key part of the plot…And in engineering itself is something called “the reaction cube,” which plays a big part in the first season of the show, and provides “a lot of different types of reactions,” Harberts said, vaguely.

I'm wondering if they're working on the ground work on what would become either Transwarp, or the TNG warp scale.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2017, 11:04:15 PM by Xero »
"Well Steve, I think it's more like we both had this rich neighbor named Xerox and I broke into his house to steal the TV set and found out that you had already stolen it." - Bill Gate's response to Steve Jobs' accusation of theft.

Offline Fiery Little One

• Distinguished Member
  • Live Long and Prosper
    • View Profile
« Reply #463 on: September 12, 2017, 01:12:38 AM »
Hmmm...

Online Xero

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #464 on: September 24, 2017, 01:11:36 PM »
The opening titles has been released. If you want to wait until tonight to see them, then don't click.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eipvltuV6iQ&feature=youtu.be

https://trekmovie.com/2017/09/24/watch-star-trek-discovery-main-title-sequence-unveiled/
"Well Steve, I think it's more like we both had this rich neighbor named Xerox and I broke into his house to steal the TV set and found out that you had already stolen it." - Bill Gate's response to Steve Jobs' accusation of theft.

Offline Shik

• There's a million things I haven't done
    • View Profile
« Reply #465 on: September 24, 2017, 04:10:38 PM »
What the fuck is that "Walking Dead" shit? No credits, no information about premise, fucking BOO.

Offline Jimi James

• So Say We All
  • Administrator
  • Distinguished Member
  • Abandon Ship
    • View Profile
    • The New Haven Chronicles
« Reply #466 on: September 25, 2017, 02:54:17 AM »
I loved it, both episodes. They both flew by and I easily saw the places where they took cues from the previous series and then took the chance to make things new and fresh.
https://www.patreon.com/JonMichaelMay
Help me make art, by joining me on Patreon. Various subscriptions tiers are in place, allowing you to support my addictive art habit for as little as $1 a month.

Online Xero

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #467 on: September 25, 2017, 11:18:30 AM »
I enjoyed it as well. The cast clearly had chemistry.

There were little details like in the opening sequence, when it shows the transporter, if you look closely near the bottom left it says "Invented by Emory Erickson". Burnham mentions that Vulcans stopped using the tech because of power requirements.

The crew using Georgiou's clearly well loved antique telescope to see the anomaly was a nice little moment, which goes to show how old the tech on the Shenzhou.

Offline Fiery Little One

• Distinguished Member
  • Live Long and Prosper
    • View Profile
« Reply #468 on: September 25, 2017, 02:21:34 PM »
Yeah, I had a rough idea of how old the Shenzhou was when they said she had 'phase cannons.'

Online Xero

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #469 on: September 25, 2017, 02:25:46 PM »
Yeah, I had a rough idea of how old the Shenzhou was when they said she had 'phase cannons.'

I'm going to guess at least 25-30 years old.

Offline Fiery Little One

• Distinguished Member
  • Live Long and Prosper
    • View Profile
« Reply #470 on: September 25, 2017, 04:56:15 PM »
That would be about right for being slightly more modern than she could be.

Online Xero

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #471 on: September 25, 2017, 09:02:58 PM »
It's weird talking about new episodes of Star Trek after 12 years of nothing.

Offline Fiery Little One

• Distinguished Member
  • Live Long and Prosper
    • View Profile
« Reply #472 on: September 26, 2017, 12:30:29 AM »
Weird? Yes, but I missed being able to do so.

Offline Jimi James

• So Say We All
  • Administrator
  • Distinguished Member
  • Abandon Ship
    • View Profile
    • The New Haven Chronicles
Re: Star Trek Discovery - Official Episode Dicussion Thread - $$$SPOLIERS$$$
« Reply #473 on: September 26, 2017, 12:42:49 AM »
I know what you mean. Like, it's exciting to be thinking about the possibilities of the stories they could tell and waiting to see what they do....and then trying to feel in gaps for stuff they don't answer. It's like Christmas!!! lol

Ok, some things and let's just forgo the spoiler tags. I'll but a warning in the title of the first post, but from here on this will be the ongoing Discovery Episode discussion thread. Since there's only a handful of us, there's probably no need to start a new thread for each ep. So if you haven't seen the first two eps, THIS IS YOUR WARNING!!!

So let's hit the elephant in the room. Or in this case, the Klingons in the room.
Personally, there are some little details that I'm not crazy about. Like T'Kuvma, I don't care for the general appearance of his outfit or the "bridge" of his ship.
I could care less about whether or not they explain the forehead ridges.
I loved that they didn't just take a cookie cutter Klingon and throw him into the past. They pulled elements from canon and built new material around it. It felt like they were building character details into Klingon society itself and I dug that immensely. I also liked that they didn't just repurpose some ENT era Klingon ships like they did with the D7 battlecruiser and the BoP for TNG and DS9. Everything was new. It might not have been what we would normally cite as Klingon, but I think that's ok. Quite frankly, the Klingons needed a shot in the arm of new creativity and this was certainly new and different. So if this is a hard reboot for the whole look and style of the Klingons, then I'm ok with that. They needed it. It's not the direction I would have gone in, but at least it's something...and parts of it are certainly worth exploring further.

I was a bit miffed that they didn't use any of the known Klingon houses for the names of the 24 great houses that sit on the Council. I think Duras would have been too much, but maybe making one of them Mogh or another known house could have been cool. Perhaps we'll see some familiar houses later on.

I liked that the Klingons spoke in their native tongue and that it was subtitled, expect for the few instances when it was necessary to speak English...and even then it wasn't good english. It was obviously learned as a second language, not like any of the other klingons we've seen. These guys aren't going to be quoting Shakespear any time soon, and that alone makes them more alien, which is a welcome breath of fresh air.

The space battle. I found it lacking overall and I hope future battles are more...in depth. There were moments I liked, such as the Europa saving the Shenzhou and then just being gutted by that cloaked Klingon ship. That being said, man it the space scenes looked nice. As good if not better than any of the new Trek movies.

Sarek...I think this was going to be a problem no matter what. I liked the actors performance as Burnham's mentor and surrogate father, but he had some big shoes to fill as Sarek and I don't feel like he came close. He was/is an excellent Vulcan, better I felt than Soval on ENT, but there is no replacing Mark Leonard in the role of Sarek. They should have just made him someone else and it wouldn't have changed anything...so far. Perhaps he has a larger role to play later on that requires him to be Sarek...if so then ok, but as of right now he shouldn't be Sarek.

Small detail. I liked that the helm console had physical controls that looked like theyd pulled them from a helicopter, just at first glance...made them feel way more real than what was shown on ENT.

I like that so far, both episodes have ended on somewhat of a cliffhangar...more of a "no, you can't stop there!" moment. That's in part because of the pacing of the show itself and how it seems to pass so quickly. With each episode, it was over before it felt like even 20 minutes had passed. I was highly engaged and that's definitely a good sign, for me at least.

I liked that the overall visual style of the show felt modern, though obviously toned down from the almost harsh sterile visual style of the most recent movies. It's like they looked at the movies and at ENT and said, ok, let's bridge these two styles and take the best of each, while updating it all to look amazing on telivision. Which it did. The uniforms...I like them for what they are, and maybe they'll get closer to ToS later on, so that's not a huge deal. They look shard and only super nerds like us care that the Enterprise Delta is now the standard Starfleet/Federation symbol.

The Shenzhou. It doesn't look entirely Kelvin timeline but it certainly isn't prime universe either. Is that a problem? Maybe. It depends on what other ships we see. THough, we saw quite a few ships actually...probably the most we've seen in the first season of a new series since DS9. We're only two eps in and already we've seen a dozen or so new starfleet ships? That in of itself is unprecedented. Granted, most of them were background filler, but we got a pretty good look at several of them. Felt sort of like the First Contact battle of Earth scene. Several ships were obviously detailed enough for close ups, while the rest were just background filler. Hopefully we'll see more of them later on. It would be really cool if this isn't the only fleet scene we get.

It's certainly a risk to not even show the ship the show is named for, in the first two episodes. I thought it might show up and save the day, but nope.

Ok, the rest of this is pure speculation, but if they actually stick with canon as closely as they said they have....I know, it's a big if there...then there are some interesting possibilities that could take place.

If this is 2256 (according to memory alpha) in the prime universe, then Pike is out there with the original Connie Enterprise somewhere. So they've already at least made contact with Talos. It's also supposed to be the year that Pike finishes his five year mission so it's possible the Enterprise could be on her way back to Earth or there already.
Will we see her? Pike? Or Spock? Maybe a pre-refit connie that connects the style of ENT and DSC to ToS....a Connie with a silver metal hull?
Could they have managed to hide that spoiler all this time? And if not the Enterprise, then some other Connie?
If this is the prime universe and the dates we already have established are still true, then surely Spock knows about Sarek's ward Michael. She's been on the Shenzhou longer than the Enterprise has been on her original five year mission...if the dates are still good.
If not then all this means nothing.
But it's fun to think about. lol
https://www.patreon.com/JonMichaelMay
Help me make art, by joining me on Patreon. Various subscriptions tiers are in place, allowing you to support my addictive art habit for as little as $1 a month.

Online Xero

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #474 on: September 26, 2017, 12:54:47 AM »
I would love to see a Connie show up at some point. Maybe the Defiant, Exeter, or even the Constellation, three ships we all know will have tragic ends.

I've already read people complaining about why we never heard about Michael before, and the response I have is "Sybok". We know next to nothing about Sarek and Spock during this time. Hell, we really know next to nothing about Spock's family period.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2017, 12:57:03 AM by Xero »