Author Topic: Star Trek Discovery  (Read 21633 times)

Offline Fiery Little One

• Distinguished Member
  • Live Long and Prosper
    • View Profile
Re: Star Trek Discovery
« Reply #450 on: August 16, 2017, 01:12:30 AM »
What they plan to do for Season 2 should be interesting. As for future series... Make sure Discovery works first, then think about what's next.
Open your mind to new possibilities
-Trip(sort of), The Crossing

Offline Aaron

• "Lana. Lana. Lana! LANA!! ...Danger Zone."
    • View Profile
« Reply #451 on: August 17, 2017, 04:43:16 PM »
TV-MA?

I watched the newest trailer for Discovery on StarTrek.com, and at the beginning of the trailer there was a TV-MA icon in the corner of the screen.  Does this mean we're about to get a Star Trek for grownups? Storylines with some chutzpah?

Did anyone see that too?

Offline TNC

• Board Legend
  • Stuck in the middle of nowhere...
    • View Profile
« Reply #452 on: August 18, 2017, 07:29:20 AM »
I haven't seen this StarTrek.com Trailer you speak of, and TV and movie ratings might be a little different, but the producers of the show have said that it will be "hard PG-13".

That said, what do you mean by "Star Trek for grownups"?

Personally, for a franchise that's strongest language to date was probably Data's "Oh Shit!" in Generations, excessive foul language would be a little distracting.  Though I suppose it would be nice for some Klingons to say p'taQ and have the English subtitles give us a translation for it.  And as for nudity, I don't mind it so much as long as it's not overdone and/or pointless (looking at you GoT and especially Westworld).

Back to the Klingons for a moment.  This new appearance might be an early attempt to undo the damage from the Augment Virus from ENT.  In one of the trailers Sarek said something about the Klingon Empire being in decline for "generations", perhaps some sort of civil war between those affected by the virus and those not?
“The Elachi can send their entire fleet.  We will not fall.” – Ambassador Worf – Star Trek Online – “Sphere of Influence”

Offline Fiery Little One

• Distinguished Member
  • Live Long and Prosper
    • View Profile
« Reply #453 on: August 18, 2017, 02:17:59 PM »
An early attempt to undo the Augment Virus... and at least one civil war broke out in the aftermath... I could see it.

Offline TNC

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #454 on: August 19, 2017, 02:17:48 PM »
Minor update, we now have a character image of Voq, and yes he is an albino.  Also of note is the way he is holding that "new" bat'leth, with the curve facing outward rather than inward, which is interesting if that's the cutting edge.  Although I suppose it could be some sort of meditative pose rather than how one would wield the weapon.

Oh, and I don't know if this was mentioned before but Michelle Yeoh's characters full name is Philippa Georgiou, as per the image of the Star Cross metal.

Also the Shinzhou has an MRI-esque medical scanner/treatment device like the NX-class.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2017, 02:19:30 PM by TNC »
“The Elachi can send their entire fleet.  We will not fall.” – Ambassador Worf – Star Trek Online – “Sphere of Influence”

Offline Fiery Little One

• Distinguished Member
  • Live Long and Prosper
    • View Profile
« Reply #455 on: August 19, 2017, 04:29:02 PM »
Something else of note, there's speculation that Sam Witwer might be under that make up.

Offline Aaron

• "Lana. Lana. Lana! LANA!! ...Danger Zone."
    • View Profile
« Reply #456 on: August 20, 2017, 11:06:22 AM »
When I said "Star Trek for grownups," I meant that the plots might be a little more cerebral and mature. I'm not saying that we need more vulgar language or nudity (well, as long as it's tasteful nudity...) But I just mean stories that might shake you up a little. Definitely no "Shut up, Wesley!" moments, for sure.

Offline Terran Imperial

• Food!
    • View Profile
    • My deviantart
« Reply #457 on: August 20, 2017, 11:33:01 AM »
I haven't seen this StarTrek.com Trailer you speak of, and TV and movie ratings might be a little different, but the producers of the show have said that it will be "hard PG-13".
I think this is it:
https://twitter.com/startrekcbs/status/898213027597635584
So, do you remember me
In those moments just before you sleep?
I know you remember me
Swear to me the memory isn't seen
Promise me
That it doesn't make your heart beat
Doesn't make your heart beat

Offline Razor

• Board Legend
  • All things not of this world
    • View Profile
« Reply #458 on: August 21, 2017, 11:13:39 PM »
When I said "Star Trek for grownups," I meant that the plots might be a little more cerebral and mature. I'm not saying that we need more vulgar language or nudity (well, as long as it's tasteful nudity...) But I just mean stories that might shake you up a little. Definitely no "Shut up, Wesley!" moments, for sure.

Works for me.
“The boat dipped and swayed and sometimes took on water, but it did not sink; the two brothers had waterproofed it well. I do not know where it finally fetched up, if it ever did; perhaps it reached the sea and sails there forever, like a magic boat in a fairytale. All I know is that it was still afloat and still running on the breast of the flood when it passed the incorporated town limits of Derry, Maine, and there it passes out of this tale forever.” ― Stephen King, It"
High priest in the Cult of J

Offline TNC

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #459 on: August 25, 2017, 10:44:42 PM »

Fair enough.  And given everything we've heard so far, that seems to be the direction Discovery is going.  And to be honest, the kind of direction Discovery needs to go in, while also maintaining Trek's hopeful/optimistic vision of the future, if it is to compete with modern TV.

Although, I would argue that we've gotten "Star Trek for grownups" already.  Granted not in a consistent manner (DS9: "In The Pale Moonlight" vs. DS9: "Take Me Out To The Holosuite"), but there are definitely stories that fit your criteria.  Of course the rules of TV have changed since even ENT was last on and what was "grown up" back then might be considered "tame" by today's standards...

With regards to the TV-MA thing, I guess that's close to PG-13, but TV and movie ratings are kind of randomly decided so they don't really mean much.  For example, if a movie has a scene where a woman tells a man "f*** you" then punches him, it gets a PG-13.  If she says, "I want to f*** you" and they make out, then it's an R.  If it's two dudes and one says "I want to f*** you", bam! NC-17.  Violence is fine but sex is bad, Hollywood's weird like that.

Offline CX

• Distinguished Member
  • Bully!
    • View Profile
« Reply #460 on: August 28, 2017, 01:26:02 PM »
I don't know, I could go for some nudity in Star Trek.   ;D
"Black care rarely sits behind a rider whose pace is fast enough." - TR

Offline Shik

• There's a million things I haven't done
    • View Profile
« Reply #461 on: August 29, 2017, 07:57:38 AM »
I don't know, I could go for some nudity in Star Trek.   ;D

I agree. Let's see those Malfoy buns!

Offline Xero

• Board Legend
  • Let the big man do his job.
    • View Profile
« Reply #462 on: September 11, 2017, 10:56:48 PM »
The Shenzhou's bridge being built
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z0ono_kL8B8

And a very quick tour of the Discovery's bridge
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T047FEM4wYc

Apparently as the show progresses, the colour schemes of the bridge controls will start to look more and more like ToS.
https://trekmovie.com/2017/09/03/star-trek-discovery-designers-reveal-look-and-colors-will-evolve-to-be-more-like-tos/

They talk about Burnham, and give hints what the Discovery is really up to.
https://trekmovie.com/2017/09/11/star-trek-discovery-set-tour-reveals-details-of-bridge-characters-story-and-more/

Burnham’s main area of operation is engineering, and a good chunk of the show will be spent in the below-deck room…Engineering is important as a focal point of Burnham’s life and career, but there’s also a — you guessed it — mysterious reason for the room, all focused around a series of canisters embedded in the wall. Harberts paraphrased a line from Lorca, saying, “we’re coming up with a new way to fly” — and these canisters, and what the engineering team is working on, are a key part of the plot…And in engineering itself is something called “the reaction cube,” which plays a big part in the first season of the show, and provides “a lot of different types of reactions,” Harberts said, vaguely.

I'm wondering if they're working on the ground work on what would become either Transwarp, or the TNG warp scale.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2017, 11:04:15 PM by Xero »

Offline Fiery Little One

• Distinguished Member
  • Live Long and Prosper
    • View Profile
« Reply #463 on: September 12, 2017, 01:12:38 AM »
Hmmm...

Offline Xero

• Board Legend
  • Let the big man do his job.
    • View Profile
« Reply #464 on: Today at 01:11:36 PM »
The opening titles has been released. If you want to wait until tonight to see them, then don't click.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eipvltuV6iQ&feature=youtu.be

https://trekmovie.com/2017/09/24/watch-star-trek-discovery-main-title-sequence-unveiled/