Author Topic: Re: Star Trek Discovery - Official Episode Dicussion Thread - $$$SPOLIERS$$$  (Read 28654 times)

Offline Simon

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
    • Patria Domus: Hub to my Many Websites
Re: Star Trek Discovery - Official Episode Dicussion Thread - $$$SPOLIERS$$$
« Reply #500 on: October 04, 2017, 04:06:44 AM »
I'm personally (and perhaps desperately) hoping that the whole mushroom drive is just a smoke screen (it's really a 23rd Century drug lab, and they're all tripping), and what is really going on has more to do with the evil scientist zoo Lorca seems to have.

Offline Jimi James

• So Say We All
  • Administrator
  • Distinguished Member
  • Abandon Ship
    • View Profile
    • The New Haven Chronicles
« Reply #501 on: October 04, 2017, 06:58:06 AM »
Anyone else picking up a Section 31 vibe? I've seen a lot of people speculate that the security officers on DSC with the black deltas and no division logo's could be MACO'S, but I'm thinking they might be specialized 31 security, with Lorca in on it as well...while they use the rest of the regular Starfleet crew to do the hands on work.

Either way, there is more going on here than just FTL spores.
https://www.patreon.com/JonMichaelMay
Help me make art, by joining me on Patreon. Various subscriptions tiers are in place, allowing you to support my addictive art habit for as little as $1 a month.

Offline Fiery Little One

• Distinguished Member
  • Live Long and Prosper
    • View Profile
« Reply #502 on: October 04, 2017, 02:20:55 PM »
I started thinking along those lines as soon as the episode ended. The only modification I would make is Landry, she seems to be in on it too. She probably doesn't have the clearance to talk to the higher ups that Lorca does, but otherwise I'm sure she's in on it.
Open your mind to new possibilities
-Trip(sort of), The Crossing

Offline Shik

• There's a million things I haven't done
    • View Profile
Thanks, Simon. Now I've got an image of Jason Isaacs doing his best Sean Connery & saying, "The order is: engage the mushroom drive."

Offline Razor

• Board Legend
  • All things not of this world
    • View Profile
« Reply #504 on: October 05, 2017, 10:48:09 PM »
Ok now that Ive had the chance to digest this episode a bit.

The Good-
-Definitely liked the more real dialogue between Burnham and the convicts (by the way purist fans shut the hell up already, the racist slur was from a convinct who was trying to get a rise out of Burnham...its clearly not a prevailing attitude for this time.)
-I quite enjoyed the more immersive (I hope thats the right word) dialogue about the Discovery (this puppy is brand new) that Star Trek sometimes lacks about its ships.
-Stamets reminds me of a grumpy Trip.
-Lorca is cool dont really know what his agenda is just yet but so far he's got my attention.
-Saru is shaping up to be my favorite character so far.  He did make a point lay down the law with Burnham but he was graceful about it which was something that I liked.
-There's been quite a few jokes about the spore drive and all but the idea of an organic FTL drive is really interesting and original and a fun sci fi concept that I havent seen in a while.
-Cadet Tilly is cute as a button.

The Bad-
-Ok is it only my wifi or does CBS all access still have buffering problems.
-While I liked the introduction of the Discovery I dont think the model itself looked as good.

Another solid A for me.  Im definetly enjoying this show so far and cant wait to see where it goes.
“The boat dipped and swayed and sometimes took on water, but it did not sink; the two brothers had waterproofed it well. I do not know where it finally fetched up, if it ever did; perhaps it reached the sea and sails there forever, like a magic boat in a fairytale. All I know is that it was still afloat and still running on the breast of the flood when it passed the incorporated town limits of Derry, Maine, and there it passes out of this tale forever.” ― Stephen King, It"
High priest in the Cult of J

Offline Terran Imperial

• Food!
    • View Profile
    • My deviantart
« Reply #505 on: October 06, 2017, 04:41:05 PM »
Episode 3 thoughts

Things I didn't like.
For me, some of Discovery's crew seems very obnoxious and of poor attitude, specifically Commander Landry and Lt. Stamets. Upon her introduction, Landry's attitude comes off as "well great I have to deal with Prisoners, ughhh FML", which feels like it would come from a highschooler instead of a Starfleet officer. Moving on, Lt. Stamets has a condescending holier than thou attitude I find really irritating, and which apparently gives him the right to openly challenge the captain.

Another thing that bothered me a bit was that Burnham is suddenly deemed some type of expert in quantum physics or whatever, despite her area of expertise specifically being in xenoanthropology. I'm not saying you can't be good at more than one things but this seems to be really way out.

Things I did like
Despite the shortcomings of this episode, there were many things that I did enjoy. This first thing is we finally get to see the USS Discovery (thunderous applause). The production value is still on point. The second thing I liked is the way Burnham and Saru's relationship is portrayed, which feels like they've really known each other for a long time. Saru was way more tolerable than Landry and Stamets. Cadet Tilly is also a refreshing break from all the angst with her energetic and optimistic attitude. I also like the sequence on the USS Glenn, with the mysterious vibes and all. It also had my favorite moment with the Shushing klingon, which I found really funny. Lorca seems pretty interesting too. The episode ended on a nice note

Overall I would score this episode as a 4 grapefruits out of 5 oranges, mainly because while it was entertaining and interesting, some of the crew acted like a-holes and left a sour taste.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2017, 04:45:35 PM by Terran Imperial »
So, do you remember me
In those moments just before you sleep?
I know you remember me
Swear to me the memory isn't seen
Promise me
That it doesn't make your heart beat
Doesn't make your heart beat

Offline Xero

• Board Legend
  • Let the big man do his job.
    • View Profile
« Reply #506 on: October 08, 2017, 08:25:11 PM »
Landry got fucked up!

Also it's confirmed, there are spinning parts of the saucer when the spore drive is activated. Though I don't like that weird roll the ship does when it jumps.

I'm starting to get a good idea why the spore drive didn't catch on, every part of the damn thing is a giant flaw, and are only lucky it worked at all.
"Well Steve, I think it's more like we both had this rich neighbor named Xerox and I broke into his house to steal the TV set and found out that you had already stolen it." - Bill Gate's response to Steve Jobs' accusation of theft.

Offline Jon

• Prolific Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #507 on: October 08, 2017, 08:37:28 PM »
From Episode 4. I figured the macro Tardigrade was on the Glenn for a reason, but didn't know it was an integral part of the spore drive. Didn't see Landry's death coming...or necessary even? It felt forced. The inner and outer rings on of the saucer do spin for the spore drive jump! However, what I found odd was the Discovery barrel rolling to perform the jump, but not rolling when coming out of the jump? While odd, it's still something neat! Got to see quite a bit and I'm glad.

I found it intriguing that Burnham showed she didn't want to hurt the Tardigrade but had to in order to perform the spore drive jump, not attempting to stop it. From the previews for next week's episode, it seems they'll be focusing or more or less  touching on that.

Offline Terran Imperial

• Food!
    • View Profile
    • My deviantart
« Reply #508 on: October 08, 2017, 09:20:56 PM »
Season 1 Episode 4 thoughts

Well that was interesting. I can oficially say Lorca is certafieable.
Things I didnt like
Why did Burnham bring Saru to the Menagerie? And then he got mad for some type of reason.

Things I liked
I'll start off by saying I liked Lieutenant Stamets alot more in this episode than the last. . Landry was still a horrible person (And an Idiot at that) but now she's dead (I was a bit surprised to see her go off like some basic red shirt though.) I'm glad they didn't forget Michael was a xenoanthropologist. The spore drive sequence was pretty fly, with the spinning rings and all.

Questions and questionable stuff and whatever.
-Lorca using the cries of hapless citizens to guilt Stamets to working on the drive.
-Lorca recklessly putting the ship in danger with that spinning thing. Couldn't they have used phasers to take down the Klingons? I don't know,.
-I guess we know why Ripper was on the Glenn. It was not that different from what I expected, being used to sense the phlebtonium spores.
-They ate Captain Georgiou! Wow.

Grade: 5 tangerines out of 5 oranges. It was pretty solid. I'll probably rewatch it because CBSAA was acting up and getting a case of the jitters.
So, do you remember me
I know you remember me
Promise me

Offline Fiery Little One

• Distinguished Member
  • Live Long and Prosper
    • View Profile
« Reply #509 on: October 08, 2017, 10:16:24 PM »
So they finally got the drive to work... I wonder if the apparent torture of 'Ripper' is why it doesn't become common place 'later.'

Offline Xero

• Board Legend
  • Let the big man do his job.
    • View Profile
« Reply #510 on: October 08, 2017, 10:44:21 PM »
Season 1 Episode 4 thoughts

Well that was interesting. I can oficially say Lorca is certafieable.
Things I didnt like
Why did Burnham bring Saru to the Menagerie? And then he got mad for some type of reason.

She brought him to the menagerie to prove Ripper only kills when threatened. Remember he can sense danger/death, his head tentacles didn't pop out.
"Well Steve, I think it's more like we both had this rich neighbor named Xerox and I broke into his house to steal the TV set and found out that you had already stolen it." - Bill Gate's response to Steve Jobs' accusation of theft.

Offline Terran Imperial

• Food!
    • View Profile
    • My deviantart
« Reply #511 on: October 09, 2017, 12:52:33 PM »
She brought him to the menagerie to prove Ripper only kills when threatened. Remember he can sense danger/death, his head tentacles didn't pop out.

I had just realized that after I posted.
So, do you remember me
I know you remember me
Promise me

Offline Shik

• View Profile
Michael has grown on me slightly, as she was the only one showing signs of an actual correct Starfleet mentality this time around. Nice to see Stamets choke back his ego a little & allow the scientist to bleed through, too. But good riddance to Landry. And Lorca–still a psycho.

My favorite character so far is still dead, though.

Offline TNC

• Board Legend
  • Stuck in the middle of nowhere...
    • View Profile
« Reply #513 on: October 10, 2017, 05:19:24 PM »
Well I broke down and signed up for CBS All Access...  Some reactions of mine to the discussions already posted...

I liked that the Klingons spoke in their native tongue and that it was subtitled, expect for the few instances when it was necessary to speak English...and even then it wasn't good english. It was obviously learned as a second language, not like any of the other klingons we've seen. These guys aren't going to be quoting Shakespear any time soon, and that alone makes them more alien, which is a welcome breath of fresh air.

I too liked that the Klingons spoke Klingon and had accents when speaking English.  I'll chalk that up to these Klingons actually taking the time and effort to learn English while previous shows' Klingons were speaking Klingon but the universal translator was in effect.

I liked that the overall visual style of the show felt modern, though obviously toned down from the almost harsh sterile visual style of the most recent movies. It's like they looked at the movies and at ENT and said, ok, let's bridge these two styles and take the best of each, while updating it all to look amazing on telivision. Which it did. The uniforms...I like them for what they are, and maybe they'll get closer to ToS later on, so that's not a huge deal. They look shard and only super nerds like us care that the Enterprise Delta is now the standard Starfleet/Federation symbol.

Actually there is some evidence to suggest that the delta was always meant to be for Starfleet as a whole.  Personally I love the uniforms and could care less if they start looking more like the TOS versions, though they likely will and that's cool too.  Actually the DSC/DIS uniforms look like an evolution of the ENT uniforms...

The space battle. I found it lacking overall and I hope future battles are more...in depth. There were moments I liked, such as the Europa saving the Shenzhou and then just being gutted by that cloaked Klingon ship. That being said, man it the space scenes looked nice. As good if not better than any of the new Trek movies.

Yeah the Battle at the Binary Stars was cool, but a little too short.  We didn't get all that good of a look at most of the new ships.  Plus I think a death toll of 8,126 is a little on the high side, even if we assume that the ships of this time used less automation and thus had more crew than later ships.

Episode 3 Context is for Kings. Definitely felt like it had a Section 31 vibe to it, or at least Lorca is acting on behalf of S31. The creature from the Discovery sister ship Glenn looked like an overgrown/aggressive Tardigrade. I liked this episode.

I think my favorite part was "Did he just shoosh you?"

There's definitely some Section 31 vibes going on.  I bet that's what this whole "black badge" thing is about.  And yes, the "Did he just shoosh you?" was awesome.  First its funny then its horrifying as the tartigrade monster attacks him.

From Episode 4. I figured the macro Tardigrade was on the Glenn for a reason, but didn't know it was an integral part of the spore drive. Didn't see Landry's death coming...or necessary even? It felt forced. The inner and outer rings on of the saucer do spin for the spore drive jump! However, what I found odd was the Discovery barrel rolling to perform the jump, but not rolling when coming out of the jump? While odd, it's still something neat! Got to see quite a bit and I'm glad.

Re Landry: Yeah, WTF was she thinking fraking with that thing?
Loved the spinning saucer, which explains the odd gap design.
As for the barrel roll, I assume that's some effect of how this drive works.  The ship is getting pulled into some sort of anomaly or something so it looks like its rolling over.  If you think about it, that's what happened to the Glenn's crew and what the marks on the hull were.  The "anomaly" rolled them over. 

BTW, that has to be the most gruesome thing ever on any Trek series...
Spore drive seems like a silly name, but whatever.  When Lorica was demonstrating how the spores work to Burnham, was anyone else thinking "Iconian gates"?
Oh and Stamets kind of reminds me of McKay on Atlantis, but with less whining, kind of like how he was in the earlier seasons...
“Battle is not a simulation. It’s blood and screams and funerals.” – Capt. Georgiou – Star Trek: Discovery – “The Vulcan Hello”

Offline Makaveli

• Administrator
  • Board Legend
  • N.I.G.G.A.
    • View Profile
« Reply #514 on: October 10, 2017, 06:04:26 PM »
I think the death toll was for the initial day of the war, cant remember what the conversation on the shuttle was exactly but I doubt the klingons decided to call it a day after kicking starfleets ass.
N.I.G.G.A. - Never Ignorant Gettin' Goals Acomplished
"If a man hasn't discovered something he will die for, he isn't fit to live." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.
CIDvision :: the breen war :: trekonline

Offline Shik

• View Profile
Just rewatched the scene, & I think the implication is that it's a total for the past 6 months.

Offline Razor

• Board Legend
  • All things not of this world
    • View Profile
« Reply #516 on: October 10, 2017, 08:45:08 PM »
Landry got fucked up!

Yeah and deservedly so.

-Yeah Landry got what was coming to her as far as Im concerned.  Hey when the scientist gives you advice trust it!
-I definetly like Stamets...yeah he was a bit of a grouch at first but I get his reasons plus when the scientist shown through it was wonderful.
-So the outer edge or the saucer spins when the spore drive is activated now thats cool.
-Oh Sylvia you are adorable.
-I rather enjoyed the story of the klingons thats a nice touch this show has.
-The Ripper being part of the propulsion system is a wonder sci fi idea that I wasn't expecting.
-Speaking of Tellerites I hope we get to see some.

Excellent episode so far.  The show has me really hooked so far.
“The boat dipped and swayed and sometimes took on water, but it did not sink; the two brothers had waterproofed it well. I do not know where it finally fetched up, if it ever did; perhaps it reached the sea and sails there forever, like a magic boat in a fairytale. All I know is that it was still afloat and still running on the breast of the flood when it passed the incorporated town limits of Derry, Maine, and there it passes out of this tale forever.” ― Stephen King, It"
High priest in the Cult of J

Offline Fiery Little One

• Distinguished Member
  • Live Long and Prosper
    • View Profile
« Reply #517 on: October 10, 2017, 11:41:54 PM »
Landry got fucked up!

Yeah and deservedly so.

-Yeah Landry got what was coming to her as far as Im concerned.  Hey when the scientist gives you advice trust it!
-I definetly like Stamets...yeah he was a bit of a grouch at first but I get his reasons plus when the scientist shown through it was wonderful.
-So the outer edge or the saucer spins when the spore drive is activated now thats cool.
-Oh Sylvia you are adorable.
-I rather enjoyed the story of the klingons thats a nice touch this show has.
-The Ripper being part of the propulsion system is a wonder sci fi idea that I wasn't expecting.

Actually, it's even cooler. Both the inner and outer rings spin in opposite directions.

Offline TNC

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #518 on: October 11, 2017, 06:16:33 AM »
I think the death toll was for the initial day of the war, cant remember what the conversation on the shuttle was exactly but I doubt the klingons decided to call it a day after kicking starfleets ass.

During the previews I could have sworn they said that the death toll was "8,000 in the first two days of the war".  But IIRC during the episode, the female prisoner said "my cousin died on the Europa, along with 8,000 others there" (or something to that effect).

Just rewatched the scene, & I think the implication is that it's a total for the past 6 months.

That would make more sense.

snip

Personally I'd rather see some Andorians.  But yeah, it would be nice to see some Tellerites.

Oh, and I found this which has some concept art of the Starfleet ships at the Battle of the Binary Stars (click "expand" to see them).  The Yeager looks like a predecessor to the Prometheus, the Europa looks like a cross between the Constellation and Miranda, and the Edison looks like a predecessor to the Nebula but without the pod.  Oh and there was a U.S.S. Shran, but we don't have an image of it.  The Yeager has elements from the Shenzhou, namely the fins in the back, and it appears that the bridge is at the very edge of the saucer.  The Europa and Edison's nacelles look similar to the Discovery's.

Oh another thing, they're using TOS style rectangular "tapes", though they're thinner.
“Battle is not a simulation. It’s blood and screams and funerals.” – Capt. Georgiou – Star Trek: Discovery – “The Vulcan Hello”

Offline Shik

• View Profile
We do know what Shran looks like; it's a saucer enveloped by two giant warp skids port & starboard. http://flare.solareclipse.net/ultimatebb.php/topic/6/2831.html

Offline TNC

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #520 on: October 11, 2017, 07:29:11 AM »
I'm pretty sure that's the T'Plana-Hath you're talking about.  In fact, in the Flare article you linked to (which is where I got the Star Trek.com link from), the image is big enough to read "USS T'Plana-Hath" on the hull of the ship you're describing.

Offline Shik

• View Profile

Offline TNC

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #522 on: October 11, 2017, 02:56:31 PM »
Well that ship wasn't shown in the link you posted before.  :P

Interesting though that there's a memorial for the ships lost at the binary stars in the mess hall.

Offline Shik

• View Profile
Gotta click links, son.

Offline Fiery Little One

• Distinguished Member
  • Live Long and Prosper
    • View Profile
« Reply #524 on: October 15, 2017, 08:27:19 PM »
That was an... Odd... Ending.