Author Topic: Re: Star Trek Discovery - Official Episode Dicussion Thread - $$$SPOLIERS$$$  (Read 34573 times)

Offline Shik

• There's a million things I haven't done
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Star Trek Discovery - Official Episode Dicussion Thread - $$$SPOLIERS$$$
« Reply #650 on: February 12, 2018, 12:40:04 AM »
That was such an "Are you FUCKING kidding me?!" moment. Ugh.

Offline Shik

• View Profile
Re: Re: Star Trek Discovery - Official Episode Dicussion Thread - $$$SPOLIERS$$$
« Reply #651 on: February 12, 2018, 10:36:18 AM »
I'm STILL trying to figure out what "event" this show is being based around. Still trying to figure out how Culber returns in a non-flashback way.

That ship looked good, yes...but it's not a Constitution, thus not Enterprise. More support for the "yet another universe" theory, as born out by the Defiant connection!

So, we set up recurring baddie Emperor Georgiou & probably guest-shot Tyler; that's cool. We ended the (annoyingly unseen) war with magic hand-waving; that sucks. Does this end the Klingon problems, then? I honestly have no interest in ever seeing them again, or hearing about their politics. They're bland, uninteresting, & seem to just be a cardboard cut-out "bad guy".

Always great to see Clint. He gets better & weirder with each passing year. Saru gets shafted again; he really came into his own & should've been promoted.

Sooooo, no more spore-drive action, then? Has it fallen into Super Pursuit Mode realm, where it's only going to be used once in a while for really necessary drama needs?

Not sure if this is a cliffhanger, or it'll pick up doing whatever. Guess we'll find out in 12 to 19 months.

Offline Razor

• Board Legend
  • All things not of this world
    • View Profile
Re: Star Trek Discovery - Official Episode Dicussion Thread - $$$SPOLIERS$$$
« Reply #652 on: February 13, 2018, 12:41:31 AM »
Well that was fun!  Cant wait to see what they do with season 2.
“The boat dipped and swayed and sometimes took on water, but it did not sink; the two brothers had waterproofed it well. I do not know where it finally fetched up, if it ever did; perhaps it reached the sea and sails there forever, like a magic boat in a fairytale. All I know is that it was still afloat and still running on the breast of the flood when it passed the incorporated town limits of Derry, Maine, and there it passes out of this tale forever.” ― Stephen King, It"
High priest in the Cult of J

Offline Xero

• Board Legend
  • Let the big man do his job.
    • View Profile
« Reply #653 on: February 13, 2018, 04:50:27 PM »
IGN had a nice comparison image

Also apparently an under-construction Earth Spacedock was shown
https://trekmovie.com/2018/02/12/10-easter-eggs-from-the-season-one-finale-of-star-trek-discovery/

« Last Edit: February 13, 2018, 04:53:41 PM by Xero »
"Well Steve, I think it's more like we both had this rich neighbor named Xerox and I broke into his house to steal the TV set and found out that you had already stolen it." - Bill Gate's response to Steve Jobs' accusation of theft.

Offline Shik

• View Profile
« Reply #654 on: February 13, 2018, 05:33:36 PM »
That was supposed to be Spacedock? Uhhhhh....sure, okay.

Offline Xero

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #655 on: February 13, 2018, 05:50:57 PM »

Did you notice the reference to Mintaka III? It was also great to see Clint Howard again.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2018, 06:05:27 PM by Xero »
"Well Steve, I think it's more like we both had this rich neighbor named Xerox and I broke into his house to steal the TV set and found out that you had already stolen it." - Bill Gate's response to Steve Jobs' accusation of theft.

Offline Razor

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #656 on: February 13, 2018, 06:16:00 PM »

Did you notice the reference to Mintaka III? It was also great to see Clint Howard again.

Yeah I caught that as well as a reference to Nausicaans.  I was really glad to see Clint too.  Im happy he's making an appearance in Star Trek before his obligatory cameo in his brother's Star Wars movie.  I'll my thoughts on the enterprise later.
“The boat dipped and swayed and sometimes took on water, but it did not sink; the two brothers had waterproofed it well. I do not know where it finally fetched up, if it ever did; perhaps it reached the sea and sails there forever, like a magic boat in a fairytale. All I know is that it was still afloat and still running on the breast of the flood when it passed the incorporated town limits of Derry, Maine, and there it passes out of this tale forever.” ― Stephen King, It"

Offline Razor

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #657 on: February 14, 2018, 09:23:46 AM »
Ok having had a good look at this new version of the Enterprise...I like it its okay.  The constitution class isnt my favorite design (if they futzed with the excelsior or Galaxy I might have stronger words) and this version is fine.  The new styling isnt drastic enough for me to rule out a refit between now and TOS. 

Offline Fiery Little One

• Distinguished Member
  • Live Long and Prosper
    • View Profile
« Reply #658 on: February 14, 2018, 09:38:56 AM »
That's pretty much how I took this redesign: Just a refit we didn't see before.
Open your mind to new possibilities
-Trip(sort of), The Crossing

Offline Razor

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #659 on: February 14, 2018, 10:25:51 AM »

Yeah Im surprised that people are seeing this and then saying "well this clearly cant be the prime universe" like seriously this is that much of a departure?  I always assumed starships of this error were probably designed to be up-gradable as new member species were joining all the time and new technology and ship building techniques were (pardon the pun) assimilated.

Offline Fiery Little One

• Distinguished Member
  • Live Long and Prosper
    • View Profile
« Reply #660 on: February 14, 2018, 12:45:20 PM »
Cynics. (shrug)
Open your mind to new possibilities
-Trip(sort of), The Crossing

Offline Xero

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #661 on: February 14, 2018, 09:28:52 PM »

Yeah Im surprised that people are seeing this and then saying "well this clearly cant be the prime universe" like seriously this is that much of a departure?  I always assumed starships of this error were probably designed to be up-gradable as new member species were joining all the time and new technology and ship building techniques were (pardon the pun) assimilated.

The new design of the Enterprise is clearly just a visual retcon, nothing more. It's a nice one, too. My only problem is the secondary hull looks a little small. But that's probably due to angles, and the shorter neck.

Offline Razor

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #662 on: February 15, 2018, 09:17:40 PM »
This is just me but i dont think the swept back pylons go together with the cylindrical nacelles.  It just looks off to me.

Offline CX

• Distinguished Member
  • Bully!
    • View Profile
« Reply #663 on: February 16, 2018, 12:25:39 AM »
I don't want to name names because I don't want people to be involved in an argument who have no part in it, but there are two artists' takes on the 1701 that to me are much better in comparison.  Essentially they just took the original design and added detail in ways that suited them, and it actually comes off pretty well.  I mean, the model they used in IaMD looked good next to the NX-01, so an even more detailed model would look even better, while retaining more of what the original design was, IMO.  It'd be more in line with how the original design was made for old TVs with poor resolution, but now that TVs are better you can just see all the detail that was totally there all along guys.  ;)
"Black care rarely sits behind a rider whose pace is fast enough." - TR

Offline Jimi James

• So Say We All
  • Administrator
  • Distinguished Member
  • Abandon Ship
    • View Profile
    • The New Haven Chronicles
« Reply #664 on: February 16, 2018, 03:07:35 PM »
I think I posted my thoughts on this earlier, but it's reassuring to see given the drastic changes that were made for the Abrams movies, that they not only manage a new retcon design but one that looks like a logical step towards the ENT we know, and it's more or less being accepted well if not far better than the Abrams Connie ever were.

It looks like a good step between the OG Connie and the season 5 proposed NX class upgrades...with plenty of time to grow.
It will be interesting to see if they keep that silver metallic look like NX or eventually move the1701 and the Discovery towards the more classic colors we now.

One point points focused not on the ship. I wasn't all that surprised they expunged Burnham records and reinstated her rank. Throughout the franchise, Starfleet and the federation have always had a very forgiving nature allowed people who have shown extreme aptitude in given areas, a second chance (look no further than how many times Kirk has been given huge amounts of leeway that in any real-world setting would have ended his career likely as a cadet). I think Tyler might be pushing it, and right off i don't recall if he was there at the "everyone gets a reward" ceremony.

I was glad that Tilly got what she ultimately wanted, to further her path to being captain, by being exactly who she is, the very best representation of what Starfleet and the Federation stand for. She is the hope, the wonder, and the human sense of urgency to explore the unknown that still drives. ANd I maintain that she is this series O'Brien...the everyman character, albeit tweaked for the 21st century. And while she was pushed to her limits, I think she ultimately never wavered from her core values. If anything, her time in the Mirror Universe only strengthened her resolve, much in the way she talked to Michael about having to deal with Ash.

My final point is that I'm fairly certain that they said they were going to pick up their new CO....and then the enterprise shows up. Conicidence? Possibly.
That being said, I was really hoping they'd let Saru have command. Since the spore drive is relatively in active now and they're stuck going the "old fashion" way as Stamets said....maybe they have other experimental tech on board. We never did learn what those guys in black badges were all about.
But I was upset that since Michaael got fully reinstated, Saru got the bump to captain. as a few of us had discussed earlier, he may have started out as....coqardly, but by the end of the season he was command worthy material. His speech to the crew before the attack on the Emperors city ship was as fine as I've seen from any CO. He's grown a large degree, perhaps not as much as Burnham but he's come into his own and I would go so far as to say he deserves command of the Disco.

Oh, and in regards to the Enterprise, I hop they dont cheap out and go with "garbled comms" and actually show Pike and Spock in their prime.

Man, this year of speculation is gonna be brutal. lol
I do hope we get some better shots of the new Connie, like a set of proper orthogrpahics would be nice.

Now, my over all season review. As I said a while ago, I was warry about casting Isaacs as the captain, but I quickly came around to him and what they had planned....while it may have been nice to see an alien cap, I think the overall diversity of the crew made up for the casting of yet another white british actor. Not to downplay Issacs performance at all. He played his diception well.

The season long story arc. I loved this aspect of it. They developed a story to tell, told it well with very few if any missies, and wrapped it up in one of the more compelling conclusions I think we've had; while setting up for season 2. They set up a style and tone from the first episode that I feel in conjunction with the overall story arc they developed, made this arguably the best first season of any series to date, perhaps aside from TOS, merely due to its numerous hits and how new and different Trek was to anything else that had come before it.

I do hope they expand on the backstory of the bridge crew more in season 2. I understand that with the arc they had to maintain and the drive needed to keep it going, they didn't have much time to diverge away from the core cast.

That being said, and I feel like I'm probably alone in this, but I felt the Mudd episodes were the weakest episodes of the season. I enjoyed the character development that occured during those episodes, but I didn't care for Mudd himself. Not the actor, but the character. He felt like random pitch out of nowhere that didn't necessarily fit the rest of the tone of the show, while serving as a plot point needed to move things forward. In many way, he was Disco's Morn. A plot piece and often comic relief they could lean on when needed to make a quick sharp turn in another direction or serve as a stepping stone to a more important point.

Overall, for what it was up against and what Disco has overcome and the story it told, I would give it a solid A. Easily more enjoyable firectly from the start than Enterprise. It's hard to say if it will end up being better than voyager or DS9....or even TNG. In many ways, with everything new it tied to do, it feels like this first season was as bold and risky as TOS or DS9. I think those are it's two strongest competitors. Not only was I suprised by what we were given, overal of course there were some plot details that were being shouted out from day one, by i was overall happy with the journey and the final destination....aside from a few small details like Saru not being named Cap.

And if you can't tell, I'll defimitely be tuning in for season 2. Even if I have to wait till 2019 for it.
https://www.patreon.com/JonMichaelMay
Help me make art, by joining me on Patreon. Various subscriptions tiers are in place, allowing you to support my addictive art habit for as little as $1 a month.