Author Topic: Voyager Redux  (Read 2444 times)

Offline CX

• Distinguished Member
  • Bully!
    • View Profile
Voyager Redux
« on: December 13, 2015, 11:23:19 PM »
So a similar discussion to this has popped up over at the SF Debris forum, which isn't surprising since he started as "The Opinionated Voyager Episode Guide."  Basically it's just a "what would you have done?" type thread, and it's kind of gotten me thinking about a few things again.  I actually did do a write up a long time ago, and so I'm starting to mentally revisit it.  This isn't a serious thing, as it would still have to take a back seat to Foundations, which itself has taken a back seat to, well, quite a bit of things, including the reviews I write.  Still, it would be fun to bounce ideas off of people, just to see what they think, which could in turn make for a better show if I ever get around to working on it.

Setting/Premise Questions:

In my original write-up I have the ship actually sticking around DS9 for at least a half season, if not a full season.  In my mind I thought that this could help make the change to the Delta Quadrant more abrupt and more dramatic, as the audience will have gotten to know the crew and their sense of "normalcy".  I'm not even sure if I'd have that shift to the DQ result in any crew deaths or not.  Both have dramatic potential.  This is entirely based on the idea of the show being about the characters, and their being stranded and wandering their way home again would still be all about them.  But I know the way I see things isn't how others are necessarily going to see them, so I'm wondering, would it actually be better to do as the original show did by sending the ship to the DQ in the first episode, which would give the show a much more straightforward premise?

Character Questions:

Tom Paris/Nick Lacarno - It's my understanding that the only reason Tom Paris wasn't Nick Lacarno is that the studio would have had to dish out royalty payments for every episode the character was in.  I'm not real clear on the actual rules regarding this, though.  For instance, if it was instead revealed that Tom Paris was simply an alias, and so the name Nick Lacarno only came up occasionally, would the royalty payments be fore the name, or would this be for the character (so every episode vs the episodes the name was used in)?  Even if it was the case that the studio could have gotten out of paying royalties for every episode in that way, would it still be better from a creative point of view to establish that these are two entirely different characters, even if they are played by the same actor (essentially as the show actually did, just that I might go further)?

Seska - Stick with her as a Cardassian spy, or should she just be a Bajoran woman?

Ship Questions:

I have to say that I've never really liked the design they used for the show.  So for me, the question would be whether to use an established design, or something new.
"Black care rarely sits behind a rider whose pace is fast enough." - TR

Offline Xero

• Board Legend
  • Let the big man do his job.
    • View Profile
Re: Voyager Redux
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2015, 03:22:05 AM »
Same ship design. I just wish they kept the idea of have Voyager become more beat up inside and out as the series progressed.

There was one idea I really liked that they dropped, was that Kes's hydroponics weren't just in a single room, but would have expanded to line the corridors as well. They had a concept that the life support system and replicators were heavily damaged, and the gardens would provide oxygen and food.

Of course budget and all.
"Well Steve, I think it's more like we both had this rich neighbor named Xerox and I broke into his house to steal the TV set and found out that you had already stolen it." - Bill Gate's response to Steve Jobs' accusation of theft.

Offline CX

• Distinguished Member
  • Bully!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2015, 02:39:56 PM »
The studio also nixed the original "Year of Hell" idea Brannon Braga had, which was supposed to be a full season, not unlike was later done in ENT's 3rd season.  It's funny because the studio also wanted to nix the Dominion War and have them do essentially what VOY did with YoH and turn it into a two- or three-parter at most, but DS9 went ahead and did what they wanted anyway.  8)  I think the studio had it in its head that both shows should try to be as much like TNG as possible, not to mention the idea that the shows should be able to have re-runs shown in any order, so they pretty much only wanted self-contained episodes.

In any case, this is about how VOY should have been done, not what he studio necessarily wanted for it.  I guess since this is academic anyway, one could just imagine that you as the show-runner were able to successfully lobby the studio for whatever you wanted short of making it into something that could only air on HBO and that you'd still have about the same budget.

As for the hydroponics, I tend to agree as far as them being bigger, though I don't about them acting as a replacement for the life support system.  I think about all that could be done, though, is simply to imply that there were more rooms converted into growing fresh food, although it also could be argued that the space might be better utilized as storage for supplies they'd essentially have to squirrel away every chance they got.

Offline Bernd

• Administrator
  • Distinguished Member
  • Lord of the Bored
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2015, 05:53:07 PM »
- I'd keep the ship but I like the idea to have them stick around longer.
- I would have given Kes a growing role and would have made her origin and "destiny" a mystery that is gradually revealed. The way she only becomes dangerous and/or important on certain occasions never worked for me.
- More conflict between Maquis and Starfleet, save the "family" theme for later seasons.
- Seska is a Cardassian spy. She leaves the ship when her true nature is discovered but doesn't ally herself with the Kazons (which I always thought was a stupid idea). After trying to kill Janeway she remains locked up in her quarters and causes trouble on a few more occasions until she can redeem herself (similar as Suder, but I wouldn't let her die - dealing with shady characters is an opportunity and a challenge).
- It doesn't really matter whether Tom Paris should be Nick Locarno.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2015, 06:16:49 AM by Bernd »

Offline TNC

• Board Legend
  • Stuck in the middle of nowhere...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2015, 08:29:32 PM »
The studio also nixed the original "Year of Hell" idea Brannon Braga had, which was supposed to be a full season, not unlike was later done in ENT's 3rd season.  It's funny because the studio also wanted to nix the Dominion War and have them do essentially what VOY did with YoH and turn it into a two- or three-parter at most, but DS9 went ahead and did what they wanted anyway.  8)

IIRC it was Berman himself that was suggesting making the Dominion War a two or three parter.

Anywho, I'd say definitely the ship would have to maintain any damage done in previous episodes ala nuBSG or the NX-01 after "Azati Prime".  Maybe even going down the route of "E2" and by the end of it, significant portions of the ship would be replaced with alien tech, perhaps even having kept the Borg tech to give the ship some regeneration abilities.
“Battle is not a simulation. It’s blood and screams and funerals.” – Capt. Georgiou – Star Trek: Discovery – “The Vulcan Hello”

Offline CX

• Distinguished Member
  • Bully!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2015, 02:20:08 PM »
I think the main argument against keeping the Borg tech, and I'm kind of surprised this was never really touched on in the show, is that they risk the possibility that the next time they come across the Borg, they might somehow tap into it to cause problems for the ship.

Another topic concerns Janeway.  It's been a recurring theme that she'd have been in some way younger and less experienced.  It would actually make sense for a ship that was Voyager's size for her to not be a full-ranked Captain even if she was the ship's captain (if you follow my meaning ;) ).  It's even come up more than once that she actually start out as the first officer, and I have to admit that I kind of like this idea.  Not only does it open up possibilities for character drama and growth, but there's also the possibility of generating drama through conflict with the Chakotay character, who arguably would have been a more experienced commander, essentially competing with her for command of the ship, even if it wasn't in an openly mutinous way.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2015, 02:27:36 PM by CX »

Offline Xero

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2015, 02:59:08 PM »
Making her the ship's first officer, and Voyager being the first ship she's served in the role, would open up some interesting possibilities. Plus a younger Janeway would open it up to allow the older more experienced Chakotay to become a mentor.

Imagine what an inexperienced First Officer would go through, when the only senior staff member left, after the ship newly arrives in the Delta Quadrant, is fresh out of the Academy.

First day on the job, and she's thrust into the Captain's chair.
"Well Steve, I think it's more like we both had this rich neighbor named Xerox and I broke into his house to steal the TV set and found out that you had already stolen it." - Bill Gate's response to Steve Jobs' accusation of theft.

Offline Bernd

• Administrator
  • Distinguished Member
  • Lord of the Bored
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2015, 06:20:01 AM »
Making her the ship's first officer, and Voyager being the first ship she's served in the role, would open up some interesting possibilities. Plus a younger Janeway would open it up to allow the older more experienced Chakotay to become a mentor.

Imagine what an inexperienced First Officer would go through, when the only senior staff member left, after the ship newly arrives in the Delta Quadrant, is fresh out of the Academy.

First day on the job, and she's thrust into the Captain's chair.

An intriguing idea.

Offline TNC

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2016, 04:38:04 AM »
I think the main argument against keeping the Borg tech, and I'm kind of surprised this was never really touched on in the show, is that they risk the possibility that the next time they come across the Borg, they might somehow tap into it to cause problems for the ship.

Fair enough, though IIRC they used Borg tech (or at least Borg inspired tech) for the Delta Flyer and possibly the Astrometrics lab.

If I were redoing Voyager I'd have Seven of Nine retain more Borg appearance, as was originally intended before executive medelling.  Also no catsuit, give her some civilian-y clothes at first and after a few episodes give her a field commission and put her in a uniform.
“Battle is not a simulation. It’s blood and screams and funerals.” – Capt. Georgiou – Star Trek: Discovery – “The Vulcan Hello”

Offline Xero

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2017, 10:02:18 PM »
I know I'm bumping an old thread, but I had another idea.

The Voyager episode Death Wish hints at Riker being offered command of Voyager. What if he said yes. When Voyager ended up the Delta Quadrant, he was severely injured. Enough that he was unfit for command, but still alive. I think that would throw an interesting twist into Voyager's story. Now you have this famous Starfleet officer, stuck between two crews trying to survive together.

He's a Starfleet officer through and through, so that would appeal to Janeway. He also thinks outside the box, and that would appeal to the more rebel like Chakotay. Now you have a mentor figure for both, and well as the glue that will hold the crew together in the toughest times.

And knowing Riker, unlike the rest of the crew, he would probably see being stuck on the other side of the galaxy as an adventure.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2017, 10:06:53 PM by Xero »

Offline TNC

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2017, 11:18:19 AM »
So are we're talking about something just shy of Pike-style beeping chair?  That could be interesting.

I think the Kazon could use some tweeking too, make them less Klingon-y.

Offline Xero

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2017, 12:27:09 PM »
I'm thinking of some kind of nerve damage, something the Doctor can't heal fully with the technology they have on board. Maybe some kind of brace system and a cane.

Online Shik

• There's a million things I haven't done
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2017, 07:43:15 PM »
A degenerative disorder would be better, something that will eventually sap his stamina. He can start out as the standard captain, with only him, the doctor& Janeway knowing. As the show progresses, we see him starting to falter, having to rely on Janeway more even though she's unsure of herself. Around early S2, he tells the senior staff; a couple episodes later, something happens that exacerbates/accelerates the damage rate & he's forced to tell the whole crew, making them lean on Janeway more. By say, mid-S3, Riker is so disabled he's made unfit for command by the doctor & given a sort of "emeritus advisor" position, allowing him to partake in diplomacy, strategy, & the like.