Author Topic: Syfy's The Expanse $Spoilers$  (Read 1958 times)

Offline TNC

• Board Legend
  • Stuck in the middle of nowhere...
    • View Profile
Syfy's The Expanse $Spoilers$
« on: December 26, 2015, 08:59:59 PM »
Has anyone watched Syfy's The Expanse?  It's set in the 23rd century, Humanity has colonized (at least part) of the Solar System.  Earth and Luna are controlled by the U.N. and Mars is an independent military power and the two are currently engaged in a Cold War.  Caught in the middle are the people of The Belt (aka the asteroid belt), which is were of most of Earth and Mars' resources come from.  These people are referred to as Belters and even have their own language, and they call people from Earth "Earthers" and people from Mars "Dusters".  A lot of Belters see themselves as slaves for Earth and Mars and after generations of living in space can't live on Earth.  (In fact in the first episode an OPA (a Belter terrorist organization) member  is being "interrogated" at a U.N. black site in the Hamptons by exposing him to Earth's gravity.)

There's also mention of a research station on one of Saturn's moon (Pheobe) and ships routinely going out that far.  One of these ships is an ice hauler called the Canterbury, the crew of which is one of the three major groups of characters the story follows.  The other major character groups involve people on the Ceres Station (especially detective Joe Miller), and a U.N. official named Chrisjen Avasarala (who was one of the people "interrogating" the OPA agent I mentioned earlier.

So as I said Earth and Mars are in a state of cold war and (as the first episodes title card says) any spark will ignite a full blown war.  And that spark is well on its way to happening (one could argue that it has happened and now all that's left is to see if it will lead to war).  So far it's been pretty good and its really nice to see Syfy showing science fiction again.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2015, 09:37:59 PM by TNC »
“The Elachi can send their entire fleet.  We will not fall.” – Ambassador Worf – Star Trek Online – “Sphere of Influence”

Offline Xero

• Board Legend
  • Let the big man do his job.
    • View Profile
Re: Syfy's The Expanse $Spoilers$
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2015, 10:08:40 PM »
It's so good so far. That last episode was fantastic.

Online Jon

• Prolific Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2015, 10:17:09 PM »
I'm enjoying The Expanse so far. Kind of takes place of Dark Matter while they (Dark Matter) are off the air and preparing for season 2.

Offline TNC

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2016, 04:51:40 AM »
Great episode the other night.  Got to see the Donnager in action, ship-to-ship combat consists of long range missiles (torpedoes), PDC's (Point Defense Cannons I assume, comparable to modern CIWS), and rail guns at close range.  Rail gun projectiles have an interesting purple look in this show, opposed to the usual blue color they get.  Rail guns are also something reserved for larger ships, probably due to power reasons.  Got a better look (sort of) at the ship that took out the Canterbury, basically it was black missile with a rail gun mounted in the nose and detachable bording pods.

The Mormon church has invested in the construction of a generational ship so they can be the first people to colonize another planet.  Apparently in the books this series is based on this is so they can avoid population controls (according to TV tropes anyway).  Also according to TV Tropes ships are arranged like buildings with the engine being "down" so that thrust generates gravity.

Slingshotting around planets has become a new extreme sport with people trying to set records for unpowered flight.  With people betting on if they they will burn up in a planet's atmosphere or not...
“The Elachi can send their entire fleet.  We will not fall.” – Ambassador Worf – Star Trek Online – “Sphere of Influence”

Offline Jimi James

• So Say We All
  • Administrator
  • Distinguished Member
  • Abandon Ship
    • View Profile
    • The New Haven Chronicles
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2016, 03:10:13 PM »
I watched the first episode and liked it well enough to want to watch more. I plan to catch up when I get back to school and can watch it online, since my internet at home is crap and I no longer get the sci-fi channel.

This series has a lot in common with my New Haven Chronicles book...which is interesting to say the least. ;)
Go buy my book: Method of Life
Also check out My Youtube Channel for Video Game Let's Play Vid's

Offline Xero

• Board Legend
  • Let the big man do his job.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2016, 06:24:58 PM »
It makes me want to hunt down the books.

Offline TNC

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2016, 01:27:49 PM »
I watched the first episode and liked it well enough to want to watch more. I plan to catch up when I get back to school and can watch it online, since my internet at home is crap and I no longer get the sci-fi channel.

This series has a lot in common with my New Haven Chronicles book...which is interesting to say the least. ;)

I thought that the torpedo volley exchange segment of the fight in the third episode, "CQB", would be similar to how ship-to-ship combat would play out in your New Haven Chronicles book based on what you've said about it.  Though that phase was pretty short...

Anywho, last week's episode was pretty good too.  The guy in charge of the Mormon generational ship build is played by Chad L. Coleman, who played Tyreese on "The Walking Dead".

Offline Jimi James

• So Say We All
  • Administrator
  • Distinguished Member
  • Abandon Ship
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2016, 05:27:01 PM »
Found some concept art: http://www.northfrontstudio.com/

And a ship size chart: http://imgur.com/GIN0e0U

Offline TNC

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2016, 10:16:22 PM »
Another great episode.  Starting to get some answers (sort of anyway).  Next week is the 2 hr season finale.  On the one hand these short season shows mean there's less chance of filler, but on the other hand the year long breaks between seasons are annoying. 
(I'm just assuming it will be a year long break until the next season of The Expanse (which has already been greenlit), maybe will get lucky and only have to wait until December.)

Online Jon

• Prolific Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2016, 06:09:36 AM »
Yeah. And things just got a whole lot more interesting. Most of the dots are connected already but what happened to the Anubis is rather intriguing.

Offline Jimi James

• So Say We All
  • Administrator
  • Distinguished Member
  • Abandon Ship
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2016, 02:59:30 PM »
I can't watch it at school through the syfy website without connecting it a cable provider, which I no longer have. So, yay!!!

Offline TNC

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2016, 12:28:17 PM »
So I was rewatching "CQB" during Syfy's marathon today and noticed when the Donnager's (and the Tachi's) PDC's were firing it looked like there was a second muzzle flash coming from the back end of the weapons, but with no associated projectiles (kinda like back-blast from a rocket launcher).  Which suggests that the PDC's aren't conventional gatling guns, or it was an FX goof.

Online Jon

• Prolific Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2016, 08:59:45 PM »
I picked up season 1 of The Expanse today and started to rewatch it. I'm also reading Caliban's War now...I can't wait to see season 2.

Offline Makaveli

• Administrator
  • Board Legend
  • N.I.G.G.A.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2016, 09:14:10 AM »
Sorry to be bringing up an old thread but figured I might as well, just happened to stumble across one of the books in a book store the other day while I was in there grabbing the last couple DS9 relaunch novels (I stopped buying books right after I bought unity so I didn't know they went on so much further).

I've seen adds and talk about this series but for some reason it never caught my eye, after seeing the first book I decided to pick it up. Read the first couple pages and thought it sounded good so I actually decided to buy it, was more than a little surprised to find out that it had already became a TV series. I just started downloading the series now and I'm going to start watching it. Its funny that reading the description I actually thought it reminded me a lot of New Haven that Jimi has been working on for the last decade or so lol.

I'll report back after I start watching it, just wondering if anyone else wanted to chime in now that the second season is going to be starting in a couple months. Also, anyone happen to start reading the books? It actually came highly recommended by a girl at the bookstore.
N.I.G.G.A. - Never Ignorant Gettin' Goals Acomplished
"If a man hasn't discovered something he will die for, he isn't fit to live." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.
CIDvision :: the breen war :: trekonline

Offline Jimi James

• So Say We All
  • Administrator
  • Distinguished Member
  • Abandon Ship
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2016, 11:49:00 AM »
I watched the first episode online but lost track of it because of school. I picked up the first book in the series, but haven't had the chance to get into it. There is some crossover with what I've been working on, so I wanted to see what was up. I probably need to get back into it.

Online Jon

• Prolific Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2016, 05:26:51 PM »
I picked up the 3 book set from BAM and started reading. I ended up picking up season 1 and watched after I read all the way through Leviathan Wakes. Of course the differences were there between book story and tv story, But still was good to read it and then rewatch it. I practically only started reading Caliban's War. So far, I'm excited to see what Season 2 will have packed.

Offline TNC

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2016, 03:06:14 AM »
Season 2 premieres February 8th, 2017.  I'm hoping Syfy does a marathon of Season 1 like they did with 12 Monkeys.  I highly recommend this show, especially if you were a fan of nuBSG.

Online Jon

• Prolific Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2017, 06:17:57 PM »
Season 2 premier last night was epic. Glad to see it back on the air. I'm nearing the end of Caliban's War and already saw some tie-ins and rearrangements.

Offline TNC

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2017, 03:23:31 PM »
Indeed.  Loved the close quarters brawl between the Roci and the Stealth Ship.  When they caught the protomolecule research leader and he started giving his "utopia justifies the means" speech I said out loud, "You're about to get shot."

Online Jon

• Prolific Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2017, 06:02:33 PM »
Indeed.  Loved the close quarters brawl between the Roci and the Stealth Ship.  When they caught the protomolecule research leader and he started giving his "utopia justifies the means" speech I said out loud, "You're about to get shot."

My favorite part of Doors and Corners was the Roci vs the Stealth ship and the station. Poor Amos getting rattled around. The MMC battlesuits are pretty cool.

Offline TNC

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2017, 07:19:07 PM »
Yeah, those battlesuits were pretty nifty.  According to Wikipedia Phoebe, where the protomolecule was found, is actually thought to be a captured Kuiper belt object. 

Offline TNC

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2017, 09:56:22 PM »
Wednesday's episode was pretty good, though slower than last week's.  They captured a few people at the station, one scientist and a bunch of security types.  The protomolecule researchers had undergone a procedure to eliminate their sense of empathy, which is why they were only armed with gel projectile firing riot gear (so they wouldn't kill each other).  There are signals coming from Eros that sound like voices, indicating that the protomolecule is doing... something.  I wonder what that scientist guy was doodling on the window...

Oh, and Deimos got nuked so war may be eminent.  And as a random observation Mars operates food production facilities (IIRC) on Ganymede (one of Jupiter's moons).