Author Topic: Syfy's The Expanse $Spoilers$  (Read 2713 times)

Offline Jimi James

• So Say We All
  • Administrator
  • Distinguished Member
  • Abandon Ship
    • View Profile
    • The New Haven Chronicles
Re: Syfy's The Expanse $Spoilers$
« Reply #25 on: March 18, 2017, 03:46:09 PM »
So I'm caught up finally on season one. I have mixed feelings. I like the overall world building of the show and the lengths they go to get the science right...or at least as close to right as possible. On the other hand, I don't care about any of the characters. Its not that I dislike them, just none of them are interesting. They're all the most boring lifeless people I've ever seen.

Miller is about the only exception and that's only partly because I like Thomas Jane.
Maybe that's supposed to be the point. These are just ordinary people, but even for ordinary people that have been swept up in something bigger than any of them, I don't particularly care about them. None of them have anything one thing that makes me want to know more about them or invest any time in them. Is Naomi OPA? I'm not sure, maybe...but it doesn't seem to matter. Is what's his name something more than just a thug with something to prove beyond loyalty to Naomi? Doesn't seem that way. Is Holden looking to redeem himself for past guilt or live up to some unfulfilled potential. Not sure.

Hopefully season two fleshes this out more and builds more upon these characters.
https://www.patreon.com/JonMichaelMay
Help me make art, by joining me on Patreon. Various subscriptions tiers are in place, allowing you to support my addictive art habit for as little as $1 a month.

Offline TNC

• Board Legend
  • Stuck in the middle of nowhere...
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 19, 2017, 12:18:04 AM »
Amos (aka, What's his name or Tyrol with Anger Issues as I call him) mentioned in a recent episode that his parents died and he was raised by someone named Lydia.  Other than issues related to that, I think he has some other kind of mental issues.  As for Holden, its clear that he wants to be an archetypical Heroic Good GuyTM though whether that's due to guilt or just wanting to be better I'm not sure.

Avasarala has changed from being a hawkish hardass to being the voice of reason in the UN governmental meetings since learning about the conspiracy at the end of the first season.

And as a side note, season 1 did seem to focus a lot on Miller, character wise anyway.  Maybe they'll focus on someone else with the rest of this season.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2017, 12:20:17 AM by TNC »
“The Elachi can send their entire fleet.  We will not fall.” – Ambassador Worf – Star Trek Online – “Sphere of Influence”

Offline Jon

• Prolific Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 22, 2017, 09:09:20 PM »
Another good episode tonight. Taking in last weeks episode, they seem to be jumbling up series of events of how the eventual situations come to be. Not bad, just wasn't expecting what I saw. Needing to move the plot forward.

Offline Jon

• Prolific Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 19, 2017, 09:13:39 PM »
Didn't end quite the way I expected it but still a cliffhanger and was actually amazed. I was beginning to wonder if they were going to wrap up Caliban's War with this season, ended up not quite so, but like Leviathan Wakes and season 1. Beginning to see a pattern now.