Author Topic: Battlestar Galactica Movie?  (Read 977 times)

Offline TNC

• Board Legend
  • Stuck in the middle of nowhere...
    • View Profile
Battlestar Galactica Movie?
« on: June 09, 2016, 09:10:55 PM »
So Universal is working on a BSG movie., since 2014....

Not sure how I feel about this, considering the series wrapped up so well.  Also not sure about the fact that worked on 50 Shades of Grey is producing it, but I have no opinion about The Hunger Games director lined up to direct it.
“Battle is not a simulation. It’s blood and screams and funerals.” – Capt. Georgiou – Star Trek: Discovery – “The Vulcan Hello”

Offline Fiery Little One

• Distinguished Member
  • Live Long and Prosper
    • View Profile
Re: Battlestar Galactica Movie?
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2016, 12:13:09 AM »
I was under the impression that this was going to be a continuation of the original, not RDM's show.
Open your mind to new possibilities
-Trip(sort of), The Crossing

Offline Jimi James

• So Say We All
  • Administrator
  • Distinguished Member
  • Abandon Ship
    • View Profile
    • The New Haven Chronicles
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2016, 07:32:08 PM »
Yeah, Bryan Singer's version that he was working on back in 2009 was its own stand alone thing...so its likely this will be too. As critically aclaimed as the reboot series was, I doubt they'd want to tie a movie to a series with so much baggage already attached. It would be much simplier just to reboot it again.

That being said, while seeing BSG on the bigscreen may be nice, they're going to have to pull off somehting fairly spectacular to surpass what RDM managed to accomplish during those four seasons. Granted that isn't a fair comparison, but it will be impossible to go into this new BSG and see and of the character and not think of how we saw them and felt about them during the Moore's series.

The cast will have to be....something amazing. I mean, if Adama, Starbuck, and Baltar aren't perfectly cast and they just throw in whoever is "hot," this thing will be a train wreck.

Just to start some convo, who would we like to see play those roles. For me, EJO has become so iconic as Adama, I'm not sure who has the weight to replace him, let alone do it better.
https://www.patreon.com/JonMichaelMay
Help me make art, by joining me on Patreon. Various subscriptions tiers are in place, allowing you to support my addictive art habit for as little as $1 a month.

Offline TNC

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2016, 07:53:21 PM »
Who do I want to see in a BSG movie?  That's a tough one.  I guess I could see Nikolaj Coster-Waldau (Jamie Lannister on GoT) as an older Lee Adama, maybe.  Though they probably won't go for an older Lee.

Maybe the guy who played Bashir on DS9 could play Baltar, though that's mostly for kicks and giggles since the guy who played Baltar in the RDM series got confused with him once or twice...

I think I'm too attached to the RDM actors to suggest people to replace them in those roles.  I could probably throw around some names of various actors and actresses I like or am familiar with but I'm not sure if I could see them in those roles.
“Battle is not a simulation. It’s blood and screams and funerals.” – Capt. Georgiou – Star Trek: Discovery – “The Vulcan Hello”

Offline Jimi James

• So Say We All
  • Administrator
  • Distinguished Member
  • Abandon Ship
    • View Profile
    • The New Haven Chronicles
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2016, 11:17:57 PM »
Yeah, that's what I was getting at. We're attached to those actors. I mean, not to write it off completely, but whoever plays Adama is going to need some serious talent to do better than EJO...that first time he says, So say we all, if it's not dead on better than EJO's delivery...it's over.
https://www.patreon.com/JonMichaelMay
Help me make art, by joining me on Patreon. Various subscriptions tiers are in place, allowing you to support my addictive art habit for as little as $1 a month.

Offline Fiery Little One

• Distinguished Member
  • Live Long and Prosper
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2016, 11:30:18 PM »
I'm not going to be picky, but all I'd like is for Baltar to be better written than he was in nBSG. The Old show's Baltar's plans may have had holes in them large enough to fly the Galactica through, but at least he was what he was said to be. I never bought nBSG's Baltar being a scientist after watching the first season.
Open your mind to new possibilities
-Trip(sort of), The Crossing

Offline TNC

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2016, 01:56:25 AM »
I think Baltar was more computer programmer than scientist and they just used him as a scientist cause they thought he was the smartest guy left.

Regarding casting, I think Avery Brooks could make a good choice for Adama, maybe.  Ever since I read that they wanted to cast Sisko as African-American or Latino when first making DS9 I'd wondered what DS9 would have been like with EJO as Sisko and/or BSG with Avery Brooks as Adama.  This way we could find out.  Although, he hasn't acted in anything since 2006, so that's probably a long shot...