Author Topic: Star Trek Beyond - Reviews/Discussion - SPOILERS  (Read 4410 times)

Online Fiery Little One

• Distinguished Member
  • Live Long and Prosper
    • View Profile
Re: Star Trek Beyond - Reviews/Discussion - SPOILERS
« Reply #25 on: July 31, 2016, 12:46:45 AM »
Just got back from seeing the movie.  I loved the first 2 reboot movies quite allot but Beyond just blows them out of the water. 

I'll start by listing off the positives
-Starbase Yorktown was spectacular seriously this is the stuff Star Trek movies should be showing us.
-More unique aliens (Thank you!) though I still want to see my Gorn and Tholians on the big screen.
-Sulu's husband and Daughter thumbs up from me.
-Commodore Paris gotta love Shohreh Aghdashloo.
-At least the Enterprise went out fighting this time.
-I really liked Jaylah
-Scotty's interactions with Jaylah
-Ok the Franklin is damn cool.
-NX shuttlepod
-MACOS!!!!!!
-They mentioned the Xindi holy shit!!!! Hell if they're federation members by this point it might piss Krall off even more.
-Using Rock..er classical music to fight the swarm that was fuckin awesome.
-I know some felt Krall was underdeveloped but I genuinely liked him as a villian.  I thought his motivations were well thought out and it made his defeat all the more satisfying.

My only real complaint was the destruction of the Enterprise.  I think we lost it way too soon.  That said I think this was way better than the destruction in TSFS and Generations.  One nice thing is that this let the Franklin be the first none Enterprise federation ship to lead a movie.  9 out of 10 for me.

Especially when you consider how long her Prime counterpart lasted.

Prime Timeline - 2245-2285

Kelvin Timeline - 2258 - 2263

I kind of hope that the new E-A lasts a bit longer than the Prime version.
Open your mind to new possibilities
-Trip(sort of), The Crossing

Offline Razor

• Board Legend
  • All things not of this world
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 31, 2016, 01:15:20 AM »
One other thing I forgot to mention about the loss of the Enterprise it made it feel like we were missing a character throughout the movie.
“The boat dipped and swayed and sometimes took on water, but it did not sink; the two brothers had waterproofed it well. I do not know where it finally fetched up, if it ever did; perhaps it reached the sea and sails there forever, like a magic boat in a fairytale. All I know is that it was still afloat and still running on the breast of the flood when it passed the incorporated town limits of Derry, Maine, and there it passes out of this tale forever.” ― Stephen King, It"
High priest in the Cult of J

Offline Xero

• Board Legend
  • Let the big man do his job.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 31, 2016, 07:20:45 PM »
Just got back... Holy shit that as awesome.

The destruction of the Enterprise was like watching a main character die.
"Well Steve, I think it's more like we both had this rich neighbor named Xerox and I broke into his house to steal the TV set and found out that you had already stolen it." - Bill Gate's response to Steve Jobs' accusation of theft.

Online Fiery Little One

• Distinguished Member
  • Live Long and Prosper
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 31, 2016, 07:30:40 PM »
Seriously. I got a little emotional for a second or 2 when the saucer was just about to hit the ground. And I'm one of the fans that never really cared for some of the changes they made to the design.

Offline Jimi James

• So Say We All
  • Administrator
  • Distinguished Member
  • Abandon Ship
    • View Profile
    • The New Haven Chronicles
« Reply #29 on: July 31, 2016, 09:28:58 PM »
During the destruction, I like that they made a point of having to the detach the saucer from the neck/stardrive...or rather what was left of it. It goes back to that idea about older ships being capable of saucer separation as well during an emergency, we just never saw it until TNG.
https://www.patreon.com/JonMichaelMay
Help me make art, by joining me on Patreon. Various subscriptions tiers are in place, allowing you to support my addictive art habit for as little as $1 a month.

Offline Razor

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 31, 2016, 09:41:09 PM »
Just got back... Holy shit that as awesome.

The destruction of the Enterprise was like watching a main character die.

The way they filmed it certainly helps.  It came across like a wounded animal. 

Ya know I sort of wish they had added more features of the TMP refit to the Enterprise-A.
“The boat dipped and swayed and sometimes took on water, but it did not sink; the two brothers had waterproofed it well. I do not know where it finally fetched up, if it ever did; perhaps it reached the sea and sails there forever, like a magic boat in a fairytale. All I know is that it was still afloat and still running on the breast of the flood when it passed the incorporated town limits of Derry, Maine, and there it passes out of this tale forever.” ― Stephen King, It"

Online Fiery Little One

• Distinguished Member
  • Live Long and Prosper
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 01, 2016, 01:04:38 AM »
It did come across like a wounded animal being taken out, now that you mention it. By piranhas.

Offline Xero

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 01, 2016, 09:17:03 AM »
When the 1701 and E-D were destroyed, it was over in 5 minutes. This was a brutal, protracted mauling. Though the Enterprise did get some revenge in the end, when the saucer flipped over onto that female alien.
"Well Steve, I think it's more like we both had this rich neighbor named Xerox and I broke into his house to steal the TV set and found out that you had already stolen it." - Bill Gate's response to Steve Jobs' accusation of theft.

Offline Razor

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 01, 2016, 08:26:19 PM »
Death by saucer.

Offline Xero

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 01, 2016, 11:00:23 PM »
Death by saucer.

Though I am confused, was that the saucer, or one of Guinan's hats?

Offline Razor

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 01, 2016, 11:17:30 PM »
Death by saucer.

Though I am confused, was that the saucer, or one of Guinan's hats?

In this case it was the saucer.  This reality hasn't gotten to Guinan yet.

Offline Aaron

• "Lana. Lana. Lana! LANA!! ...Danger Zone."
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 06, 2016, 02:28:54 PM »
As for the class of the USS Franklin:  I just saw the movie a few hours ago, and I spotted a very brief shot that had a plaque on a bulkhead saying "USS Franklin, NX-326, Starship Class."  It was a triangular plaque on the right-middle of the screen in a shot of, I believe, Engineering.  I'm wondering if the Abramsverse considers all USS-registry ships to be "starship-class," considering the Abrams Enterprise is also supposedly "Starship Class."

Offline Xero

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 06, 2016, 03:23:28 PM »
the Kelvin Enterprise also says Starship Class
LINK

I think Starship class just refers to the type of ship it is, not the name of the ship's class. Starship class could mean that it's an explorer, or even a type of cruiser

Online Fiery Little One

• Distinguished Member
  • Live Long and Prosper
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 06, 2016, 03:27:44 PM »
Yeah, the general rule of thumb has been to ignore that any time it pops up. We don't know what the Franklin's class is really called. Not helped by the fact that she's older than the NX class, but has a much higher number than we ever saw from that period.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2016, 04:09:05 PM by Fiery Little One »

Offline TNC

• Board Legend
  • Stuck in the middle of nowhere...
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 06, 2016, 05:07:46 PM »
I09, has some concept art for a set of Starfleet Fighters that were cut from the script earlier on. Take a look, they're pretty cool.

http://io9.gizmodo.com/star-trek-beyond-concept-art-shows-off-starships-and-st-1784471143?utm_campaign=socialflow_io9_facebook&utm_source=io9_facebook&utm_medium=socialflow

The fighters are interesting looking.  I wonder if some of the ideas for them got transferred over to the swarm ships or if the swarm ships had already been made.  In particular there is a similarity with the arrangement of the cockpit in the two vehicles.

Regarding the saucer crash, it reminded me of both TSFS and Generations.  The part where they go back to the crashed saucer reminded me of that level in the DS9: The Fallen game where you have to retrieve something from a crashed Miranda-class that's at an angle like the saucer ended up in when it crashed.

Regarding the Franklin, I would assume that the registry number was changed from whatever it originally was after the formation of the Federation.  Which would indicate the early Federation had at least 326 ships.
“Battle is not a simulation. It’s blood and screams and funerals.” – Capt. Georgiou – Star Trek: Discovery – “The Vulcan Hello”

Online Fiery Little One

• Distinguished Member
  • Live Long and Prosper
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 06, 2016, 05:57:40 PM »
Changing the registry number seems to be a common theory. I'm just not sure why they'd bother doing something like that, though. But then again, why does any gov't doing anything that might make one tilt one's head?

Offline Razor

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 06, 2016, 10:30:38 PM »
Yeah, the general rule of thumb has been to ignore that any time it pops up. We don't know what the Franklin's class is really called. Not helped by the fact that she's older than the NX class, but has a much higher number than we ever saw from that period.

Perhaps its an NU class.

Online Fiery Little One

• Distinguished Member
  • Live Long and Prosper
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 07, 2016, 12:58:15 AM »
I think I kinda like that, not sure why but I do.

Offline Razor

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 08, 2016, 01:14:41 AM »
I had always considered the old Earth ships were given lettering designations. 

The Warp Delta was an ND class
The Half saucer/Intrepid was an NH class
The Franklin is an NU class ect

The only thing that complicates it is the Neptune class survey vessels that Trip mentioned but I figured that may have been a civilian ship class designation.  They could have easily fixed the Franklin's place in the timeline by saying warp 6 instead of warp 4.

Offline Simon

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
    • Patria Domus: Hub to my Many Websites
« Reply #44 on: August 11, 2016, 09:44:01 AM »
In 2161 the newly formed Starfleet Corps of Engineers probably decided to redefine the warp scale, hence the whole warp 4 problem with Franklin.  After all, didn't someone once say something about engineers loving to change things. ;)

Offline TNC

• Board Legend
  • Stuck in the middle of nowhere...
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: August 14, 2016, 04:17:16 PM »
More concept Art.  Originally the Franklin had downward pointing nacelles, could take off vertically, and was named Pioneer.  The last four images on the page show off the E-A.
“Battle is not a simulation. It’s blood and screams and funerals.” – Capt. Georgiou – Star Trek: Discovery – “The Vulcan Hello”

Offline Razor

• Board Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 15, 2016, 12:43:05 AM »
Glad they changed it the Franklin looks much better as an NX-01 analog.  Though I do wish they had kept the name Pioneer.

Offline Aaron

• "Lana. Lana. Lana! LANA!! ...Danger Zone."
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 15, 2016, 02:08:42 PM »
Franklin plaque: